Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #91  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Rennie, I looked into the 3 Hr Diet. The first thing I saw turned me off. The title of his book is "The 3 Hr Diet" but the subtitle is "How Low Carb Diets make you Fat and Timing Makes you Thin." I don't agree that low carb makes you fat, plus low carb is necessary for those with diabetes. I lost weight and stayed thin for 10 years on low carb. I had issues with his "Belly Fat Cure" because of some of the weird foods that were recommended. I want to eat real foods that I like.

Having said that, the basic principle is good. Somewhere I read that it recommends eating 5 times, 3 hours apart.....3 meals of 400 cal each and 2 snacks of 100 cal each, and finish eating at least 3 hrs before bed. I can lose on 1400 cals per day.

So here's the problem. I have too much information running around in my head and need to make a choice and stick to it. I seem to lean toward an Intuitive Eating/Intermittent Fasting combination. I feel as though that is normal....the way we were intended to fuel our bodies. But I'm eating too much. I need to get portions under control. I think I will start tracking and maybe seeing exactly how much I am really eating will make a difference. I did this before successfully and I can do it again if I put my mind to it.

Trish, I don't want to lose fast either, but it seems there's no chance of that happening anytime soon. LOL On the other hand, seeing a good drop on the scale can be very encouraging.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I think I got burned out on low carb before, but I seem to be moving in that direction especially after reading info on Diabetes 101 link that you shared. I'm getting DH to read it now too. I too got so confused for a while because I had so much info in my head and everything seemed so contradictory that I couldn't process it all.

I know a lot of people don't like the New Atkin's diet, but that book answered so many questions for me. While I don't agree with them about some things like using the Atkin's bars and shakes as an everyday part of my diet, I did enjoy learning how and why Atkin's works in a much simpler way than the Dr. Atkin's original book. In fact, the new book has more scientific proof of things that Dr. Atin's didn't have and it doesn't hurt that some of the doctors come from Duke's in NC.

I also lean to IE as well and I'm doing it with the low carb. I am doing Atkins today. I'm not doing Induction, but I'm not eating a lot of carbs today. The amazing thing is that so far I've only had 22 carbs and haven't had even 500 calories. I've always heard that people who low carb don't eat as many calories as others and I'm beginning to believe that is true.

Rennie I've heard of people who couldn't lose weight who were able to lose easier when eating more frequently like every 3 hrs or 5 or 6 small meals a day. In fact, DH Mother told me before she died that she heard Dolly Parton say on tv that she was one of those people who could not lose weight until she started eating 6 small meals a day. I agree, especially, after reading Diabetes 101 that diabetics need to eat low carb.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #93  

DH is watching a program on tv about a place where you can go and trace how and where you produce was gown. Since I've been reading about the dangers of GMO (genetically modified foods). The place is called traceprouduce.com . I though y'all might want to check into it.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #94  

Trish, I have the new Atkins book too, and it is the same basic principal. I don't see the need to be so strict with it that you can't accept a few changes.

I tracked my food for yesterday on FitDay and I was at 2000 calories. I know what things took me that high and I did much better today. Since I wasn't hungry when I got up, I ate around 11 AM. I had scrambled egg substitute and some of my greens I had left over from yesterday. Since we always eat an early dinner I didn't eat again. I had roasted chicken, with mixed veggies. Since my husband had a baked potato for lunch I figured he wouldn't want potatoes again for dinner so I made rice pilaf. One of my favorite foods that I rarely make because it's a big trigger food. I took 1 large spoonful with my meal. After we were done eating there was so much leftover and I started picking, a forkful here, a forkful there, then I picked up the pan and dumped it down the garbage disposal. I hate to waste food, but I knew if I didn't get rid of it I was going to pig out on it. I've done that in the past. I am really proud of myself for doing that. So far I have had 1006 calories. It's early, so I know I have room for a small snack if I need it. I have also been drinking a lot of water. I just want to get through today successfully, then I'll worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #95  

Carol Sue I agree with you about the Atkins principles and being so strict. I am trying to eat protein with better lower carb veggies, but I can't believe that I've having a problem getting up to 1200 calories today as they say we should have. I am a little over 1090 calories with the plan I have for today. I don't think I'm going to worry about it as long as I am satisfied. I could add some food to it, but why do that when I don't need it. Interesting isn't it. IE and low carb seems to be working pretty good for us. CONGRATULATIONS on ditching the rice rather than keeping it around to holler at you. I do that a lot of times too.

According to MFP, I should weigh 215 lbs in 5 weeks if I keep eating this way. I'll be happy if I just get down to 219 by then. Not really in a hurry to lose it, I think at my age that it will be nice if I'm just half way there.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:18 PM   #96  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Carol Sue: yes its picking something and sticking to it that is important, I agree. And my problem with Atkins is sticking to it, but thats also my problem with WW, if I eat carbs, I tend to binge.
So counting carbs and calories it is. And now counting steps, (or the fitbit is doing it for me)
I am getting more active, and that is only to the good.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 PM   #97  

Well, I managed to get 1,111 calories and 44 carbs. I went over a little on the fat and sodium, but the fat is no problem with low carb and according to the New Atkin's book eating a little more sodium prevents leg cramps. So I can handle that as long as the sodium doesn't go too high. So I'm through eating for the day.

Madeliene You know how I hated counting anything, but I am now convinced that I need to count calories and carbs too. I am also exercising. I ride the stationary bike 3 or 4 times a week and then make sure I am very active the other days. I've come to the place now that I'm afraid to not exercise for fear that I will get out of the habit. It is so easier to make bad habits than good and if I stop the good ones I will fail.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 PM   #98  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Carol Sue, I just liked the 3 hour part. I made a list of things from his list that I liked and it did help until I got bored. It was a long time ago and I wasn't nearly as focused as I when I joined 3FC. Carol Sue good job on the rice pilaf

Trish that is the problem I have with low carb is getting my calories in. I know it can be done but I just haven't figured out how. Today is one of those days for me also. Calories are low but I needed it today, tomorrow will be better. When I saw a RD when I had gestational diabetes I was told to eat 5-6 meals it does work if your schedule allows it.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #99  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Carol Sue, I just liked the 3 hour part. I made a list of things from his list that I liked and it did help until I got bored. It was a long time ago and I wasn't nearly as focused as I when I joined 3FC. Carol Sue good job on the rice pilaf

Trish that is the problem I have with low carb is getting my calories in. I know it can be done but I just haven't figured out how. Today is one of those days for me also. Calories are low but I needed it today, tomorrow will be better. When I saw a RD when I had gestational diabetes I was told to eat 5-6 meals it does work if your schedule allows it.
I agree that sometimes it is impossible to schedule eating with 5-6 meals. Even though I am retired and I can do 5-6 small meals most days, I still can not do it everyday. I did 4 meals today, but tomorrow we have doctor's appts so there is no way that I can do it. And yet I still cannot eat 5 or 6 meals unless it is a day that I am much hungrier than others. I hope the calorie and carb combo counting will help. Being one who believes in a lot of Intuitive Eating principles, I still prefer eating only when I'm hungry and not by a schedule set by a clock or a diet. I really think as long as I eat only when I am hungry that I will be sending my body the message that it is not starving. It is my hope that my body will finally realize that when it sends me the signal that it needs fuel, that I am definitely going to feed it that it will stop holding on to fat and I will continue to lose weight.

I honestly believe if you just keep working toward learning what your body needs and doesn't need that the carbs and calories will fall in place for you. Just don't get discouraged and quit trying. You will do it. Just be patient with yourself.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:01 AM   #100  
~Rennie

FBS is coming back down in the low 120's this morning My stomach was a little rumbly yesterday with TOM and my calories were very low also but I will make that up today. It gave me a victory on the scale this morning. However, I know it will be back to normal tomorrow for sure. New (temporary low 166.2)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #101  

Trish and Rennie, if you are not getting hungry on your present calorie count or not feeling weak or run down, I wouldn't worry about not reaching your goal calories. Think about naturally thin people who eat when they are hungry and stop when they are satisfied. They don't count calories and probably don't have any idea how many calories they are consuming. I would think that the best way to add calories without eating carbs is to increase your protein.

I found a new snack that I like. Imitation Crab Legs. I first tried them from Aldi's, an off brand, and this time I got Louis Kemp at WalMart. Believe it or not, I like the taste of the ones from Aldi's the best. But they are about 25-30 calories each, 3.5 gm carb and 2 gm protein. They are made from mostly Alaskan Pollock. The only thing I don't like about them is they list a lot of ingredients that I can't pronounce, but that unavoidable with processed foods, and is probably preservatives. But since I'm eating it as a snack and not a meal, the preservatives are minimal so I feel OK about it. I love fish and seafood so I'm happy to have something I can snack on. They are about $3 a pack. Louis Kemp has about 15 pieces and I think the Aldi's brand had fewer than that, but the price is very reasonable.

My FBG was below 200 this morning. Going in the right direction. I give myself til the middle of March. If it's not below 150 by then I will ask the dr for more meds. I really want to do it with diet and exercise.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #102  
~Rennie

Carol Sue good job on your fbs being below 200 I have had the imitation crab. The kids love them and you can actually cook them up and with other fish and make fish cakes in the oven. The sodium of course is the issue I only worry about the calorie count because for the pass four years all I have heard is if your calories are too low constantly you will slow down your metabolism. I just googled slow metabolism and decided to try a fast metabolism way of eating and reserved to books at the library. I'm gonna attempt this 7 day eating plan and see my body does.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #103  

Rennie - How many calories are you eating per day? I read somewhere recently that it's a myth that low calories puts your body in starvation mode. The amount your metabolism goes down is minimal. Also, I think as long as you are eating regularly and not going for long periods of time without food you are OK, like Trish said. I can eat up to 1500 calories and still lose. Anything over that and I stall, but I am going to stay around 1200 to allow for low calculations.

Trish, does MFP break down the fats such as sat fat, polyunsaturated and mono? If so, check to see what it is. The only one you have to worry about is sat fat, in my opinion. The poly and mono are good fats and your body needs them.

We were out very early this morning and I had a big breakfast. 500 calories. Rather than skip lunch I cooked some green beans, and I think we're going out for dinner so I will order a salad, maybe grilled chicken. I usually eat half of it and bring the rest home. DH eats the french fries out of it, or I would order it without them.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-26-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #104  
~Rennie

Carol Sue I try to do 1200-1300 yesterday it wasn't near that and today will be over so I guess if I did an average it may be ok. It has never worried me but I don't want to make it a habit of eating low calorie
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #105  

I sure don't have a problem getting all the calories in!
Closed Thread