Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Ok. I lied. Here's one more link. I found this link to an online book in a low carb forum. I haven't read it yet...it might be a bunch of bunk. But I am going to read it when I have time.

http://www.foodsanity.com/online.php

Ok, now I'm really gone! LOL
Old 02-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Thanks for the links. I'll bookmarked them to read later. Never feel bad about sharing as I too believe that is how we learn.

Darcy I was sent to a nutritionist years ago the 1st time I was diagnosed diabetic (I corrected it with diet and exercise and free of it for years). I went to the 1st appointment and never went back. When she told me that I needed to eat 11 to 12 servings of starchy veggies and grains and then told us she wanted us to eat green veggies and looked at me and said "I don't mean green beans", I never went back. I already knew from previous experiences that if I ate the way she wanted me to eat with all those starchy foods that I would become worse and die. However, I have learned the importance of green veggies, but green beans are good as well. I have had diabetes diagnoses 2x and corrected it with diet and exercise. My first doc was an oriental doctor... I love those guys and he told me you will learn what to do for yourself and will in time know more about it than what I can tell you. And I've been learning mostly on my own every since. Having all the info at our disposal with internet really helps us more these days than we had back then.

Well, I'm feeling better today after eating more protein. I do have to be careful not to eat so much that I get tired of it. I'm eating lots of meat and veggies. My scales are moving finally. I think I will change the ticker today or tomorrow as I've finally lost 10 lbs. It has taken me almost 2 months to lose down to 228.2 as of this morning, but that is okay. At my age I don't want to go too fast any way. MFP has really helped me to get the ratio of carbs, fat and protein. I ended up setting it at 20% carbs, 40% protein and 40% fat. They aren't always right own and my carbs are mostly low carb veggies and calories seem to hang somewhere between 1400 and 1600. It seems to be working so I'll stay with it. I'm suddenly eating only 3 meals a day although I always plan for and allow for a snack. Just haven't needed the snack as of late. Hope I have found my way of eating.

Have a blessed day.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #78  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Carol Sue I had the same outcome with the taste of sourdough bread. I won't try it again. Your stories about your husbands likes and dislikes with food so remind me of my husband. He would order steak at Red Lobster also. Oh my goodness, fried potatoes in Crisco brings back memories

I have discovered in the last few days that I can't add carbs back in because I don't have control. I will have to stick to strictly good carbs or carbs that I can handle otherwise I won't lose any weight

Ruth good meals and very good bs way to go

Trish that sounds like the slow carb diet by Tim Ferriss. It does work if done correctly I haven't been doing it correctly since The first week of February as you can see on MFP Trish do you mine sharing what you ate on the 17th. I like the carb and protein counts

Ok page 5 is a book so I've got to catch up ....
Old 02-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #79  

Rennie Here is a copy of what I ate on the 17th.

Breakfast

Large Eggs, 2 eggs
Bacon, 2 slices
2% Milk Singles American Reduced Fat Cheese, 1 slice

Lunch

Great Value - Chicken Wings Sections and Texas Pete - Extra Mild Buffalo Sauce, 2 tbsp.

Salad made with Mayonnaise 1 Tbsp. Iceburg - Lettuce,
Celery - Fresh, Raw, Stalks, 1 med stalks, Roma Tomato,
Red Radish - Raw, Large, 3 radish
Onion - Sweet - Raw, Chopped( Pat), 4 tablespoons

Dinner

Fish - Cod Fillet, 1
Great Value - Fresh Chopped Frozen Collard Greens, 1 Cups
Great Value - Frozen Mixed Vegetables, 3 Pepper&Onion Blend, stir-fried in
Nutiva - Coconut Oil, Organic Extra Virgin, 1 tablespoon

Snacks

Celery - Raw, 2 stalk, medium
Jif Whips - Creamy Whipped Peanut Butter, 2 Tbsp

Pecans - Pecans, 1 oz
Walnut Halves 1oz

TOTAL: 1,753 Calories 45g Carb
Old 02-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #80  
~Rennie

Darcy to the thread ... my background is so similar to yours ... my paternal father and his mother are type 2 and his father had it. I was told he passed away after his second amputation. I had gestational diabetes with my last 4 children. The first two boys (born back to back) I controlled with diet, the third boy I did one shot of insulin each night, then with my daughter I had to do two insulin shots one in the morning, one at night. But like you I was fine after the pregnancies. Then in 2010 I had a physical and my a1c came back at 10.5 and the doctor put me on Metformin immediately. You are so right it is much easier to control yourself when another life is at stake but you know I keep trying to tell myself their lives are still at stake (without me they won't be happy) and I need them to continue to prosper. I know what I need to do so why don't I do it? Huh it's beyond me ... my oldest just turned 21 and I'd like to see my grandchildren in 9 years and of course the others I want to see them graduate high school and go to college and so on, so I've got to do this for them also We can do this and we will I'm love2b136 on MFP if you'd like to add me I'm the baby here at 47 yrs old. We have 3 boys (16, 15 & almost 13) and a girl (10) still at home and a married 21 yr old daughter.

Trish thanks for the list Trish my Mom found out she was anemic at this age also. Good for you on your fbs being in the 150's My fbs has been back in the 130's to 140 this past week, not good since I had finally gotten it down in the one teens Trish I hope you get your energy level up and feel better soon I'm still reading but I hope you have heard something from the doctor and like Carol Sue said you can do it without medication maybe beets and liver, idk Good job on the exercise

Madeleine good for you on your weigh in on 2/18, keep up the good work

Carol Sue I need to pray about this also ---> Now if I could only learn to dislike carbs with as much intensity I'd be in good shape. I think I'll pray about that one! Haven't read the articles yet but didn't know veggies had oils either, wow. I'm gonna check out the link on Blood Sugar 101 ... that's interesting and I surely didn't know that.

Ok now onto page 6 ...
Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #81  
~Rennie

Carol Sue, share away my Dear Thank you

Trish on the 10lbs gone I think you have found what works, way to go I'm also gonna try your percentages on MFP and see how I fair, thanks for the menu

OK all caught up
Old 02-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #82  

Carol Sue I tried one of the meals on the veggie list you shared. I bought some Hillshire Polish Kabalska and used 2 oz of it cut into some frozen collard greens and I was surprised at how delicious it was. That is an easy quick healthy low carb meal/snack.

Rennie I am eating mostly veggies and protein for meals except at breakfast. I sometimes eat 1/2 a banana (got some strawberries today) 2 eggs and 2 slices of bacon in the morning. I use about 1 or 2 T of FF half n half in my coffee in the morning.

I was in a hurry this morning so I sliced up an apple cut the slices in half and used 2 T Whipped Creamy PB and made Apple PB sandwiches (saw it on WW website) and it was really good. So that is my new quick breakfast meal.

I think I've learned in the last 2 days that I cannot do the Carbohydrate Diet's reward meal. I've eaten a few more carby carbs at noon meal and I realized 2 things... 1) I cannot eat a lot of carbs all at one meal and 2) I may not be able to eat "just" 3 meals a day. I may have to eat a few smaller meals a day. It doesn't bother the weight, but it is bothering the fbs. Another lesson learned and will have to tweak to see what I need to do.

That reminds me of something I want to share. I think as diabetics, we need to learn NOT to get upset about the numbers we see on the scale or blood work, even fbs. We need to see those #s as "information" we need to know so that we can use them to help us get the bs under control.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:17 AM   #83  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
\
That reminds me of something I want to share. I think as diabetics, we need to learn NOT to get upset about the numbers we see on the scale or blood work, even fbs. We need to see those #s as "information" we need to know so that we can use them to help us get the bs under control.

You are 100% correct! I think I am in the worst condition of all of us on this forum. I keep losing the same few pounds over and over and my BS is not coming down significantly. All I can truthfully say is that I have not had a reading over 300 in the past few weeks. But I'm still in the 200's. I did go below 200 yesterday but back up today. I am not talking about FBG. These are different readings I'm taking throughout the day. FBG, Postprandial at 1 hr and 2 hr. I recently switched to Walmart's Prime Meter and the strips are only $9 for 50 strips, so I'm in better shape to test more often.

I won't post any links today, but I spent the morning reading about vinegar and cinnamon for diabetes. The cinnamon doesn't seem to show a lot of promise. Large quantities in the form of capsules, 2gm, are said to give modest drops in BS, but there is a compound in cinnamon that damages the liver. So I don't think a drop of a few points is worth liver damage. Of course, a sprinkling of cinnamon on oatmeal or an apple won't hurt, but I doubt if it will give a significant drop in BS.

The vinegar has better results. One website said it should be organic vinegar, but I can't stand the looks of it. It looks really gross.

The studies show that the vinegar, 2T, should be mixed in 8 oz of water which you drink before meals. It works by slowing digestion and increasing insulin response, and it can also promote weight loss, but not a lot...couple poiunds per month. Rennie, I know you were drinking it at bedtime and for some reason, they recommend 1 oz of cheese with it. They are still researching it, to see if it does lower FBS if taken at bedtime, but you said it did, so that's proof for me. I didn't realize when you were supposed to drink it and I was doing it at different times throughout the day. I will try it before meals and at bedtime. I am getting used to the taste.

Trish, one website said that vinegar can interfere with diuretics, so if you are still taking that diuretic, I would check with the doctor before adding vinegar to your diet.

Also, it said not to drink it straight, although I don't understand how anyone could do that. It can cause irritation in the throat and damage tooth enamel. They also said you can add lemon juice to it to make it taste better, or a bit of artificial sweetener.

I am proud of you girls who are showing such nice losses. I hope to follow shortly!
Old 02-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #84  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post

I think I've learned in the last 2 days that I cannot do the Carbohydrate Diet's reward meal. I've eaten a few more carby carbs at noon meal and I realized 2 things... 1) I cannot eat a lot of carbs all at one meal and 2) I may not be able to eat "just" 3 meals a day. I may have to eat a few smaller meals a day. It doesn't bother the weight, but it is bothering the fbs. Another lesson learned and will have to tweak to see what I need to do.

Trish, I am interested in this. I have a tendancy to eat between meals. In other words, I'm not eating "just" 3 meals a day. I read somewhere that you shouldn't do that. You should allow at least 4 hours between meals, to give your blood sugar a chance to go down. I figured by eating something small between meals I was keeping my BS high...not giving it a chance to go down before I ate again. But you say that 3 meals a day makes your BS higher. Are you talking just fasting blood sugar? Maybe you are one of the people who need a small snack at bedtime to prevent raised FBS. When I was in the hospital, they gave me a snack every evening. One day it would be pb and crackers and the next day cheese and crackers. I never checked to see the difference in my FBS with/without a snack at bedtime.

And then we must also consider that in diabetics, if you go too long without eating your body dumps more glucose, thinking it's starving. And that drives BS up without even eating.

This is just too confusing for me.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-23-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #85  
~Rennie

Trish I would love bacon and eggs in the mornings but I'll be honest I am too lazy to prepare them I tried the PB and apple snack. I was surprised that I even liked it but have only had it once. I learned from last week that I can not just eat carbs when I want. If I am going to lose weight and get healthy carbs are not the way. I don't have the control yet that I need . So back to where I was in January, it helped and it worked. I just need the exercise part added back in

Carol Sue, I need to pick up that meter you mentioned. A former co-worker told me about it and I wrote it down but didn't remember where I wrote it so thanks for the reminder. I'm also gonna try the vinegar water before meals and see how I fair and you are right the cinnamon isn't worth the risk. There's a whole thread on here about cinnamon and chromium. I was just reading it yesterday or the day before. Thanks for the update on the side effect because I don't remember reading that on there I do remember that their are two different kinds of cinnamon. One I am sure I have never had since it is more expensive and purchased mainly in bulk. I think when I was pregnant I was eating 6 meals a day, testing my bs two hours after the 3 main meals of course the last meal was a meal it was a bedtime snack before my insulin shot. Also I know Jorge Cruise put out the 3 hour diet which I did try once and it does work/help if you can stick to schedule and eat every three hours. Some more for you to research Carol Sue.

Last edited by love2b150; 02-23-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #86  

Carol Sue I used to take cinnamon pills and it seemed to raise by fbs not lower it so I never used it any more. For some reason, I'm not using vinegar either although I used to use it with EVOO on my salads and my weight loss was better, but not steady. I really lie mayo on my salads right now.

Weight has been between 228.2 & 228.8 for the past 3 days so that is a good sign. I seem to do that before going on down and feels promising. Still feel tired although I do feel better. Hopefully slowly getting back to normal.

Carol Sue There was a time that I wouldn't eat breakfast at all, but now I look forward to it especially eggs and bacon. However, this morning I changed it. We didn't go to church because my back has been hurting so bad. I knew we would eat breakfast for lunch when DH got up so I ate lowfat cottage cheese with blueberries and strawberries about 1/2 cup of each. It was a nice change. I'm beginning to mix things up a bit and hopefully my body will like the change. I'm bad about eating the same old thing. I've always heard that you should eat more of a variety. We will see if it is true. I guess I need to check into eating every 3 hours. I couldn't have done that when I worked but being retired, I could try it.

I guess all this comes down to a learning process.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #87  
~Rennie

Good Monday Morning to ALL

Happy to report lower carbs and none in the evening fbs was back at 113 weight was down .6 to 168.2 a new low for me only by .2 but I will take it ... hope I can get under 168 by months end so I can at least say I lost a pound
Old 02-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #88  

Trish, I love eggs, so I am very happy with scrambled eggs with some veggies mixed in. I used to have toast, too, but I haven't had that for months and I don't miss it. I can eat eggs any time of day. Because of the cholesterol, I switch between real eggs and WalMart brand egg substitute. I have tried them all, and theirs has the best taste. I don't like bacon...it's too salty for me. I like sausage but I don't keep it in the house but I do order it if I go out for breakfast. I don't always eat breakfast when I get up. Sometimes I don't get hungry until 10 or 11 AM.

Rennie, I am familiar with Jorge Cruise. I will research the every 3 hour eating.

I understand what you're saying about having to keep the carbs out. It seems that if I eat a little bit of carbs, I want more. It's like a drug. I think Fatmad said the same thing.

You are doing very well with your weight and your blood sugar. I need to follow your lead.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #89  

Carol Sue I also like sausage and I buy Jimmie Dean's turkey sausage. The Crumble 60% less fat for scrambled eggs dishes and the 70% less fat patties to eat with other eggs. They really do taste good. Never thought I would use turkey subs, but some (not all) are good to me.

Rennie Good for you. You are doing great.

I am feeling better today. Changed my food ratio to 40% protein, 25% carbs and 35% fat. I just don't want to eat loads of fat so I thought I would see how this will work for me. If I find the old ratio works better, I will go back to it. I'm still holding in at 228.6 today so I am happy with that as I'm not gaining any more. Today is my WI at MFP so my 10 lb loss is real. Been here in the 228.2 to 228.6 range for 4 days now. I am very pleased as I don't want to lose too fast.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #90  
~Rennie

Thanks Carol Sue and Trish

Trish when I cut the carbs I have a nice drop after eating crazy ... so I don't think of it as losing fast. I think of it as all of the stuff I put in dissolving and my body saying yes it's gone I loss weight pretty fast in 2010. I don't think I will ever do that again though it would surely be nice at least for about 15lbs
Closed Thread