Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #61  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default fitbit

Carol Sue: sorry to get mixed up. I too use a CPAP for sleep, but do find the fitbit a drag on the wrist. I am about to get back on the treadmill, not many steps today.
It also doesn't track yoga much, so its not using my pulse.
today did well overall
B: kefir smoothie
L: leftover potroast and veggies
Snack: Kefir with special K protein cereal
Supper: Turkey and Salad with blue cheese dressing

Long office days all week. Blah
Old 02-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #62  
Darcy

S/C/G: 170.6/156.6/150

Height: 5' 7"

Hi everyone! While I don't "want" to be here (said in the nicest way possible LOL), I'd like to join your little group for additional knowledge and motivation. :-) My fasting BS and A1c have been above normal but holding, but then I had 12 months of not going in for routine appointments and letting the diet slide, etc. When I finally scheduled an appointment last month to be a mature adult again, both my fasting and A1c were up a bit. I had been hovering in the upper 6's with the A1c, but last month I hit 7.0 and my fasting was up to 130. :-( We discussed a statin and decided to go ahead and start that, but when it came to a diabetic med, he offered 2 choices - start it now, or give me 2 months to see what I could do on my own, saying my ability to lose weight and get myself in check was much more important than any med he could offer (I'm sure that was just the pep talk, as I know full well how diabetes can progress). I opted to try it on my own, so I have until April 1st to lose some weight and control the diet. We've had similar conversations before (minus the comment of what I could do on my own being the most important), but I was never in the mindset to put myself first and do it. This time, I'm determined to do it, or admit defeat and start treating. I don't want to keep hanging in limbo.

Background on me...My mom had type 2, and her dad did also (he ended up insulin dependent), I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy with the standard testing halfway through, and after a couple of weeks of weekly testing at the endo's office, I was placed on insulin and diet for the duration. I gained 25 pounds with him, and he weighed 9 lbs 10 oz at birth three weeks early. Second pregnancy, I was tested at 10 weeks and failed the 3-hour test, and was on insulin the rest of the pregnancy (gained 10 lbs with him, he weighed 6 lbs 11 oz three weeks early). My endo had emergency bypass surgery and his office was in chaos, so my OB told me to manage my insulin myself for the last 6 months and use him for any questions. That was the most empowering feeling at a time of feeling like everything was out of my control! Third pregnancy (best surprise ever), my doctor just looked at me and said, "I don't see the point in subjecting your body to that glucose load. We know how this is going to turn out!" So it was straight to the endo and on insulin from 8 weeks to the end. Gained 7 lbs with him, he weighed 6 lbs 2 ounces and was five weeks early. My blood sugar reverted back to normal levels after each pregnancy.

So, my history pretty much spells out where I'm headed, but I'm determined to lose some weight and start walking and hopefully adding more exercises. My life is crazy with the boys and 3 part-time jobs, but I'm determined to figure out how to make this work. I used to know that diet so well, and I must say...when another life is at stake, it's so much easier to be determined and play by all the rules! I've started with MFP and tracking calories, and trying to attack this a little at a time, losing the "all-or-nothing" mentality that held me back. I'm working on calories, and in the back of my mind I'm conscious of carbs, but eventually I will need to work on putting it all together. I have a good background on the diabetes world, but I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and learning the "real world" knowledge you have all gained from experience.

I lost nothing the first week, but this second week I'm now down 3 lbs, so I'm hopeful this will continue and I'm on the right track. I have lurked on this forum for a long time, and you are all so kind, knowledgeable, and compassionate. I've loved the "feel' of this forum, so I know I'm coming to the right place. :-)
Old 02-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I got this info on low carb veggies and fruits and thought I would share it for those of us who eat low/lower carb. I got it from dLife.com. It is so long that I'll post the lowcarb veggies first and then the lowcarb fruit in another. I know it really helps me and hope it will help others. Ruthie If they need to be placed somewhere else, feel free to move. I think it would be helpful to others.

Lowest Carb Veggies

#1 is ARUGULA!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One cup of arugula contains 1g of carbs.

Arugula is rich in phytonutrients, which may reduce the risk of several kinds of cancers, including breast, stomach, and colon.

Note: To help you visualize a 50-gram portion, here are some examples: 10 grapes, 1/3 of a medium sized peach, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 35 blueberries, or 2 extra-long spears of asparagus.

#2 is CUCUMBER!

It contains 1g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced cucumber contains 2g of carbs.

The flesh of a cucumber is mostly water but also contains vitamin C and caffeic acid, both of which soothe skin irritations and reduce swelling. The skin is rich in fiber, magnesium, and potassium — a combination that may help lower blood pressure.

#3 is BROCCOLI RAAB!

It contains 1g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked broccoli raab (also spelled "rabe" and also sometimes called "rapini") contains 3g of carbs.

This immune-boosting vegetable is a rich source of lutein and zeaxanthin, which may help prevent macular degeneration. It's also a great source of calcium, potassium, vitamin C, and bone-building vitamin K.

#4 is ICEBERG LETTUCE!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One cup of shredded iceberg lettuce contains 2g of carbs.

Iceberg lettuce is an excellent source of potassium, which has been shown to lower blood pressure, and manganese, which is essential for bone health and may help regulate blood sugar levels. It is also a good source of iron, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus.

#5 is CELERY!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. Two medium stalks of celery contains 2.5g of carbs.

Celery is an excellent source of vitamin C. It is also rich with nutrients such as phthalides, which may lower cholesterol and blood pressure, and coumarins, which may protect against some forms of cancer by preventing damage from free radicals.

#6 is WHITE MUSHROOMS!

They contain 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of raw sliced white mushrooms contains 2g of carbs.

Mushrooms are extremely dense with nutrients, including selenium, a trace mineral that may help fight cancer. They are also rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients, and may help prevent cardiovascular disease.

#7 is RADISHES!

They contain 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced raw radishes contains 2g of carbs.

Radishes are an excellent source of vitamin C and calcium. Like other cruciferous veggies, they are thought to have cancer fighting properties, and have been used as medicinal food for liver disorders.

#8 is TURNIPS!

They contain 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked turnips contains 4g of carbs.

Turnips are especially high in cancer-fighting glucosinolates. Turnip greens are rich in antioxidants, including vitamins C and E, beta-carotene, and manganese. They are also a good source of vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids, both of which have anti-inflammatory properties.

#9 is ROMAINE LETTUCE!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One cup of shredded romaine lettuce contains 1.5g of carbs.

Romaine lettuce is an excellent source of vitamin C and beta-carotene, which work together to prevent the oxidization of cholesterol. It is also rich in potassium, which has been shown to lower blood pressure. This makes romaine a heart-healthy vegetable.

#10 is ASPARAGUS!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked asparagus contains 3.5g of carbs.

Asparagus is an excellent source of anti-inflammatory phytonutrients and a wide variety of antioxidant nutrients, including vitamin C, beta-carotene, zinc, manganese, and selenium. It may help reduce the risk of heart disease and regulate blood sugar because it is rich in fiber and B vitamins, which play a key role in the metabolism of sugar and starches.

#11 is GREEN PEPPER!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced green peppers contains 2g of carbs.

Green peppers are a great source of vitamins C and A, and vitamin K, which is essential for bone health. The folic acid found in green peppers can reduce levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that damages blood vessels and increases the risk of heart attack and stroke.

#12 is OKRA!

It contains 2g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked sliced okra contains 3.5g of carbs.

Okra contains glutathione, which is necessary for immune system support. It is also high in protein and fiber — one cup provides 4 grams of fiber.

#13 is CAULIFLOWER!

It contains 3g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One cup of cooked cauliflower contains 5g of carbs.

Cauliflower is a potent cancer fighter. It provides special nutrient support to the body's detox, antioxidant, and inflammatory systems — all of which are connected to cancer development. With 6 grams of fiber (and only 50 calories) in 2 cups of raw cauliflower, it also comes with all the benefits of fiber foods.

#14 is YELLOW PEPPER!

It contains 3g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced yellow pepper contains 3g of carbs.

Yellow peppers are a good source of vitamins C and A, two powerful antioxidants, and vitamin K. It is rich in folic acid, which helps lower levels of homocysteine in the body. Homocysteine can contribute to heart disease, stroke, dementia, and peripheral vascular disease.

#15 is CABBAGE!

It contains 3g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One cup cooked shredded cabbage contains 8.5g of carbs.

Cabbage is rich in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory nutrients, and glucosinolates, compounds thought to have anti-cancer activity. Red and purple cabbage contain anthocyanins — antioxidants known as powerful weapons against cardiovascular disease.

#16 is RED BELL PEPPER!

It contains 3g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced red pepper contains 3g of carbs.

Red bell peppers are a good source of vitamins C and A, two powerful antioxidants, as well as vitamin K, which is necessary for bone health. They are also rich in B6 and folic acid, which may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.

#17 is BROCCOLI!

It contains 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One cup of cooked chopped broccoli contains 11g of carbs.

Broccoli is a great source of a family of anti-cancer phytochemicals known as isotheocyanates, which work by neutralizing carcinogens. It is unusually high in vitamins K and A. The anti-inflammatory properties found in broccoli help to reduce cardiovascular risks. Broccoli is also good for digestive health due to its fiber content.

#18 is SPINACH!

It contains 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked spinach contains 3.5g of carbs.

Spinach is one of the best sources of vitamin K, which helps build strong bones. It contains more than a dozen flavonoid compounds that function as anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer agents. It is a good source of antioxidants that reduce problems related to oxidative stress, such as high blood pressure. Spinach also contains lutein and zeaxanthin, which protect against eye disease.

#19 is BEETS!

They contain 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced canned beets contain 12.5g of carbs.

Beets get their color from betacyanin, which may help prevent cancer. They are a good source of betanine and folate, which reduce homocysteine levels. Homocysteine can damage blood vessels and contribute to heart disease, stroke, dementia, and peripheral vascular disease.

#20 is GREEN BEANS!

They contain 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked green beans contains 5g of carbs.

Green beans are a good source of folate, a B vitamin that lowers levels of homocysteine levels, an amino acid that can increase your risk of heart attack, stroke, and blood clots. Green beans are also rich in manganese, a trace mineral essential for growth, reproduction, wound healing, peak brain function, and proper metabolism of sugars, insulin, and cholesterol.

#21 is CARROTS!

They contain 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of carrots contains 6g of carbs.

Carrots are an excellent source of antioxidant compounds and the richest vegetable source of pro-vitamin A carotenes. These help protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer, and promote good vision. Carrots are rich in carotenoids, antioxidants that may be beneficial to blood sugar regulation and are inversely associated with insulin resistance and high blood sugar.

#22 is KALE!

It contains 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup chopped cooked kale contains 4g of carbs.

Kale is rich in antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer nutrients. It contains powerful phytochemicals, such as indoles, which have been found to protect against some forms of cancer. Kale is also loaded with calcium, iron, beta-carotene, vitamins A, C, and K, as well as lutein and zeaxanthin, which may help prevent macular degeneration.

#23 is SUGAR SNAP PEAS!

They contain 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of whole raw sugar snap peas contains 1g of carbs.

Snap peas are rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc, and anti-inflammatory nutrients, such as omega-3 fatty acids. This combination of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds may reduce the risk of inflammatory diseases, including diabetes.

#24 is ONIONS!

They contain 7g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cooked onion contains 11g of carbs.

Onions provide many anti-inflammatory benefits and may be protective against some forms of cancer. They are rich in sulfur compounds, which are responsible for many of their health benefits. These compounds can help lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels, which makes onions heart-healthy vegetables.

#25 is CORN!

It contains 10g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium ear of corn contains 26g of carbs. (Okay, that's not really low carb at all, but that's why it's number-25!)

Corn is a good source of folate, which helps to lower levels of homocysteine. It is also rich in beta-cryptoxanthin, which may lower the risk of developing lung cancer. In addition, corn contains the B vitamin pantothenic acid, which is necessary for carb, protein, and lipid metabolism.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #64  

I also like these lists because of the nutritional info about the veggies and fruits. Also where the info came from is at the end.

Lowest Carb Fruits

It's not always easy to compare apples to oranges when it comes to carbs. Fruits and vegetables come in all shapes and sizes, and while it might seem like one is a lower-carb choice than another, it may just seem that way because of size and weight differences. We leveled the playing field for you here, so you can compare apples to apples ... so to speak!

Note: To help you visualize a 50-gram portion, here are some examples: 10 grapes, 1/3 of a medium sized peach, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 35 blueberries, or 2 extra-long spears of asparagus.

#1 is CASABA MELON!

It contains 3.5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cubed casaba melon contains 5.5g of carbs.
Casaba melons are an excellent source of vitamin C and potassium. They are also a good source of vitamin B6, which can reduce levels of homocysteine — a key risk factor for heart disease.

#2 is WATERMELON!

It contains 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of diced watermelon contains 5.5g of carbs.
Watermelon is packed with vitamin A, vitamin C, beta-carotene, and lycopene, which has been shown to reduce the risk of several forms of cancer. It also contains citrulline, which our body needs to create arginine, an amino acid that has been shown to increase insulin sensitivity.

#3 is STRAWBERRIES!

They contain 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of sliced strawberries contains 6.5g of carbs.
Strawberries are loaded with phytonutrients, which makes them heart-protective, anti-cancer, and anti-inflammatory fruits. They contain ellagic acid, which may inhibit tumor growth. The anthocyanins found in strawberries block the pain and inflammation-causing compounds, COX-1 and COX-2.

#4 is CANTALOUPE!

It contains 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of diced cantaloupe contains 6.5g of carbs.
Cantaloupe is a potassium, vitamin A, and beta-carotene heavyweight. Potassium is key for maintaining healthy blood pressure and may lower the risk of stroke. Vitamin A and beta-carotene are essential nutrients for good vision.

#5 is AVOCADO!

It contains 4g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of avocado contains 6.5g of carbs.
Avocados are high in monosaturated fat, which actually helps lower cholesterol and has been linked to a lower risk of cancer and diabetes. They are a good source of lutein, an antioxidant that helps your eyes and skin stay healthy, and a wide range of anti-inflammatory nutrients that may help prevent arthritis. They are high in fiber — one avocado has between 11 and 17 grams of fiber — which makes them great for blood sugar regulation.

#6 is BLACKBERRIES!

They contain 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of blackberries contains 7g of carbs.
Blackberries may inhibit metalloproteinese enzymes. When found in high amounts, these enzymes play a significant role in cancer development. Blackberries are also packed with polyphenols and anthocyanins, which can help prevent cancer and heart disease.

#7 is HONEYDEW MELON!

It contains 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of diced honeydew melon contains 8g of carbs.
Honeydew melon is a high volume fruit. For its weight, it contains a high amount of water, fiber, and air. It contains few calories but makes you feel full, so it's good for weight loss. It is also an excellent source of potassium, which can lower blood pressure and the risk of heart disease and stroke.

#8 is GRAPEFRUIT!

It contains 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half medium grapefruit contains 10.5g of carbs.
Grapefruits are a great source of Vitamin C, which supports the immune system. The red and pink colors of grapefruit are due to lycopene, an antioxidant that may have anti-tumor effects. In addition, they contain liminoids that also prevent tumor growth. Pectin, a soluble fiber that may slow the progress of atherosclerosis and lower cholesterol, is also found in grapefruit.

#9 is ORANGES!

They contain 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium orange contains 15.5g of carbs.
Oranges contain more than 170 cancer fighting phytochemicals and 60 flavonoids. This includes liminoids, which may fight cancer and lower cholesterol. They have a variety of heart-protecting nutrients, including blood pressure-lowering potassium, cholesterol-lowering pectin, and homocysteine-lowering folate. They're also an excellent source of vitamin C.

#10 is PEACHES!

They contain 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium peach contains 14.5g of carbs.
Peaches are a good source of calcium, potassium, beta-carotene, and vitamins C, K,
and A. They also contain beta-cryptoxanthin, a carotenoid with some anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties.

#11 is PAPAYA!

It contains 5g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium papaya contains 30g of carbs.
Papayas are a good source of 3 powerful antioxidants — vitamins C, E, and A — that prevent the oxidation of cholesterol and may prevent atherosclerosis and heart disease. They're one of the best sources of digestive enzymes that break down protein and may help reduce inflammation.

#12 is CRANBERRIES!

They contain 6g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One half cup of cranberries contain 6.5g of carbs.
Cranberries are best known for their ability to protect against urinary tract infections, due to their proanthocyanidin content. But they also contain at least 5 key categories of health-supportive phytonutrients and have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-cancer properties.

#13 is PLUMS!

They contain 6g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium plum contains 7.5g of carbs.
Plums have a high content of phenols — antioxidants that help prevent oxygen-based damage to fats. These include the fats that make up a substantial portion of our brain cells, the cholesterol in our bloodstream, and our cell membranes.

#14 is RASPBERRIES!

They contain 6g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of raspberries contains 7.5g of carbs.
Raspberries are a fiber powerhouse — there are 8g of fiber per cup. They're also one of the best sources of ellagic acid, an antioxidant that may inhibit tumor growth and the spread of cancer. They're rich in a group of flavonoids called anthocyanins that have unique antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.

#15 is CLEMENTINES!

They contain 6g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium clementine contains 9g of carbs.
Clementines are rich in vitamin C, which helps support the immune system. They're also a good source of calcium, a necessity for bone health, and potassium, which can help lower blood pressure.

#16 is PINEAPPLE!

It contains 6g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of pineapple chunks contains 11g of carbs.
Pineapples contain bromelain, a rich source of enzymes that aids digestion, speeds up wound healing, and reduces inflammation. They're also an excellent source of the trace mineral manganese, which is necessary for healthy skin, bone and cartilage formation, and glucose tolerance.

#17 is NECTARINES!

They contain 6g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium nectarine contains 15g of carbs.

Nectarines are a good source of vitamin A, potassium, and beta-carotene. The peel is rich in bioflavonoids — antioxidants that may help prevent cancer. They're also a good source of fiber, which is necessary for good digestive health.

#18 is BLUEBERRIES!

They contain 7g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of blueberries contains 11g of carbs.
Blueberries are antioxidant powerhouses that help protect against heart disease and cancer. They're packed with anthocyanides, which prevent free radical damage to cells and tissues. Blueberries help protect the brain from oxidative stress and may reduce the effects of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer's and dementia. They also contain ellagic acid, which blocks metabolic pathways that can lead to cancer.

#19 is APPLES!

They contain 7g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium apple with skin contains 25g of carbs.
Apples are loaded with phytochemicals that give them plenty of antioxidant power. They can decrease oxidation of cell membrane fats, a risk factor for atherosclerosis and other cardiovascular problems. Polyphenols found in apples influence digestion and absorption of carbs, which means they may help regulate blood sugar levels. Studies have shown that apples may protect against lung cancer.

#20 is PEAR!

It contains 7g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium pear contains 27.5g of carbs.
Pears are a good source of fiber, which has been shown to help lower cholesterol levels. They're also a great source of vitamin C and copper, both of which are antioxidants that help protect against free radical damage.

#21 is KIWI FRUIT!

It contains 8g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium kiwi without skin contains 11g of carbs.
Kiwis contain twice the amount of vitamin C as oranges. They've been shown to protect DNA in the nucleus of cells from oxygen-related damage. Kiwis are a good source of fiber, which can help lower cholesterol and regulate blood sugar. They may also lower your risk for blood clots and reduce fats in your blood, therefore helping to protect cardiovascular health.

#22 is CHERRIES!

They contain 8g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup of cherries contains 11g of carbs.
Cherries are loaded with anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, and anti-cancer properties. Cancer fighting compounds include quercetin and ellagic acid, which may inhibit tumor growth. Cherries have also been shown to lower levels of uric acid in the blood, the leading cause of gout pain.

#23 is TANGERINE!

It contains 8g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium tangerine contains 12g of carbs.
Tangerines contain beta-cryptoxanthin, a carotenoid that may significantly lower the risk of lung cancer. The peel contains a compound called polymethoxylated flavones that has the potential to effectively lower cholesterol.

#24 is MANGO!

It contains 8g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One-half cup sliced mango contains 14g of carbs.
Mangoes are a high volume food, so you get a lot of food for the amount of calories you consume. They're an excellent source of potassium, vitamin A, and beta-carotene, as well as a good source of vitamin C, vitamin K, and calcium.

#25 is PERSIMMON!

It contains 9g of carbs in a 50-gram portion. One medium persimmon contains 8.5g of carbs.
Persimmons are rich in vitamin A, beta-carotene, and iron. They contain compounds known as shibuol and betulinic acid, both of which have anti-cancer properties. The peel contains phytochemicals known as proanthocyanidins that may protect cells from oxidative stress due to aging.

The nutrition information in this slideshow is adapted from The George Mateljan
Foundation's "World's Healthiest Foods" website (www.whfoods.com).
Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #65  

Darcy Glad to have you here. Sounds like you've done like many of us have done. We all have our stories of getting to that place where we know we must get our blood sugar under control. None of us has been perfect all the time, but I think I can say for all of us that we are all determined to get the job done. Sounds like you are ready to find your way and we are here to encourage you.

You may not be perfect all the time, but be patient and whatever you do Do Not give up. I feel like if I ever stop working at this and give up that I am giving up on "me" and I am not going to do that.

Good luck with your journey. I look forward to getting to know you.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 PM   #66  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI everyone:
Today's weigh in was the best in a while, and I am still tracking steps.
I did well today so far, and have a small snack planned before bed. The long days at the office are really tiring, but will get on the treadmill in a few minutes to get my steps in before settling down for the night.
Welcome to Darcy, and hellos to everyone else. I am enjoying reading your posts.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Welcome Darcy! I wish you well in improving your blood sugar levels without meds. I believe that exercising is extremely important, and I also think that distance is more important than intensity when it comes to blood sugar levels. You do also have to cut back on the starchy carbs, though. Please stick around and let us know how it's going. I think all of us here would love to reach that goal.

I am happy to hear that you have lurked here for a while and decided to join in based on our posts. We all have been posting here for a while and really try to help each other out. We each do research on diabetes, what works and what doesn't and share what we learn with each other. We would love to also have your input.

Mad, you are doing well keeping track of your exercise. Having a goal of 10,000 steps a day keeps you going in an effort to reach that goal. Good for you!

Trish, I LOVE the list of foods you have given us. I have never been much of a fruit eater, but I do know they contain necessary nutrients and FIBER, which is very important. I love vegetables....the only one on the list that I don't like is Okra, but I do put it in my vegetable soup because I don't think it's vegetable soup without it! My son grew sugar snap peas last year and my DIL and grandson got into the habit of going into the garden for a handful and eating them raw for a snack. Now they have me doing it. I love them that way. Corn and carrots have always been considered a no-no for weight loss because of the higher carb count, but I believe the nutrient value outweights the higher carb count. Now if I could only learn to dislike carbs with as much intensity I'd be in good shape. I think I'll pray about that one!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #68  

I went for blood work this morning and got a call this afternoon from the nurse. I am anemic. He is going to run some other tests to see why. I have to go for the kit for stool test tomorrow. I knew I was awfully tired lately. Just not wanting to get up in the mornings. I am sure I messed up my system by cutting back on protein. I just read on line that animal protein will build the blood faster than iron veggies. Livestrong.com says eat chicken and turkey. IE says your body will tell you what it needs. So I guess this is another place where my body is saying, low carb eating is definitely the way it wants to eat. I will listen and give it to it. I never dreamed that I would be anemic at this age. I know there could be some other serious problems, but I don't have any signs of anything but low iron.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #69  

Ticker is finally normal. Wish I felt good enough to enjoy it. I am glad the scale is finally going down. The fbs has been in the 150s the last few days too. So that is good news.

Eating mostly protein with salads for the past few days. Plan to eat some liver today. DH is supposed to go get my kit when he gets up. I just didn't have the energy to go do it this morning. I plan to have him pick up some chicken livers and gizzards while he is out.

I have a call in to the nurse to find out more about her call yesterday. I was so tired and shocked by her news that I forgot to ask questions. I have no idea if I have to have more blood work or if they called in prescription for iron pills or what. So hope she calls back before hubby gets up to go. I also want her to know that enemia may be caused because I didn't eat any meat for a few weeks. DH has a lot of his prescription iron pills here so I took a couple last night and one today besides the protein I am eating.

Saw governor's FB report that there are still about 7k outages in SC. Sure hope Bonnie has hers own and we will hear from her soon.

Oh that reminds me. Yesterday when I was getting blood drawn, one of the girls started talking about the thunderstorm we had night before last. She said that she had always heard that "if you hear thunder and see lightening during the summer, that it will snow in 10 days". She went on to say that it had happened before. So I came home and marked off 10 days to see if it is really true. If it is, we should have snow here around March 1st. Not really thrilled about another snow after the one we just went through. Of course, being here in the south, it doesn't mean it will be a biggie.

Y'all have a good day.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #70  

I'm anxious to hear if you get the snow, Trish! LOL Sounds like an old wives tale to me.

I'm also curious to find out what the DR says about the anemia. Hopefully you can get this under control with diet instead of taking meds. When I used to take vitamins I remember hearing that Centrum Silver didn't contain much iron because people don't need it as much as they age. Having too much iron can also be dangerous, so be careful what you do until you hear what the doctor suggests.

I got this in an email today and I loved it, as I am so into greens these days. I'm looking forward to trying some of their suggestions.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ss...0yNm4PCC9sE%3d

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-20-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #71  

I aso received this quiz about fats and oils and I found out I didn't know as much as I thought. I missed 4 out of 14 and many of the others I guessed at.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/rm...0yNm4PCC9sE%3d

Here's another article they posted. I love WebMD! So much information!

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fo...0yNm4PCC9sE%3d

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-20-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #72  

Carol Sue My thought was "wives tale" too. That's why I made a note of it on the calendar to see. Thanks for the websites. I enjoyed looking at them. I made 64% on the oil test. I missed 5 of them and I was surprised at the answers. I also guessed at a few as well. I was surprised when it showed that all veggies have some oil. Makes sense but never really thought about it.

Have felt tired today. The nurse never returned my call. DH got the kit and I will do it in the morning and take it in myself. I don't expect anything bad. I think one reason I feel tired is that I'm eating mostly protein and veggies. Not as low as Atkins Induction, but so far they are around 65 to 67 grams a day. So I think that accounts for this wiped out feeling besides the anemia. Only did light exercise today. Just didn't feel up to doing the stationary bike today. I'll have to get it in tomorrow so that I'll have at least the minimum 3 days on the bike. That still works out to 4 days with my walking around in the store for almost 45 minutes yesterday.

Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #73  
Darcy

S/C/G: 170.6/156.6/150

Height: 5' 7"

Hi ladies! Thank you so much for the warm and inviting welcome! I'm looking forward to being part of the group and learning from all of you (and sharing what I can).

Trish, I love the lists of fruits and veggies you posted. Lots of good information! I also hope your anemia corrects itself soon and you're feeling a lot better with a lot more energy. How frustrating! You're right about the meats being one of the best sources of iron. When one of my kids was somewhat anemic (due to breastfeeding), the pediatrician advised offering meat to help boost iron stores. I think it was something like, "If it bleeds, it's a good source." LOL - I could remember that quote incorrectly, though...it's been a while.

Carol, I do remember about the starchy veggies and having to limit/watch portions with them. I think part of my problem is that the 3 times I was really strict with a diabetic diet, I was also pregnant, so the "rules" were a little different. I remember being told to always combine protein with carbs to help glucose be absorbed more slowly into the bloodstream. However, when I went a class several years later from the same dietician for diabetics, she was talking about a pasta meal with no protein component and when I questioned that, she said they just tell gestational diabetics that to make sure they are getting enough protein in their diet. I was confused, and frustrated, but that old habit continues with me regardless. I have a lot to figure out as a "normal" diabetic. I've thought about going in for a dietician consult at some point, but I'm going to try the calorie counting and losing weight and just being conscious of choices first, and then review labs, etc. and make a decision on that later.

I think I kind of neglected background on me in my first post, but I'm a medical transcriptionist (knowing just enough to be dangerous haha) by trade. I used to transcribe for a hospital and also a cancer center, but now am doing work for a long-term acute care system, so I see a lot of reports on diabetics with complications, which really makes me want to take this seriously and avoid those complications in the future. I also work at the elementary school doing noon duty (supervising 100 kindergartners at lunch and recess), I'm 52, and mom to 3 boys ages 18, 13, and 11 (college,middle school, and elementary school), so there's never a dull moment. Like most of us moms, finding time for "me" is taking some time -- but I know that time is now, so I'm determined to do so. :-)
Old 02-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #74  

Darcy, you have a very busy schedule. I too am very scared of diabetic complications. Sometimes I take the "it's not going to happen to me" attitude, and that's not good, because once you lose your eyesight, for example, it's not coming back. Then there's kidney failure, and foot problems to worry about. So many good reasons to get those sugar levels down. I had a visiting nurse for a while after surgery, and she told me to eat protein at every meal, but I realize that does not mean eat a 12 oz steak. Small portions of protein go a long way.

Yesterday, I did a pretty good job of keeping my carbs to a minimum. I also have to train myself to go for longer periods of time without eating something. I tend to graze and that doesn't give your blood sugar time to go down, and then you eat the next meal on top of a high blood sugar level. It seems that it's better to eat your food at mealtime and skip the in-between snacking. It's a hard habit to break. Right now I am trying to cut out 1 meal. Since I'm retired, I can eat when I want to. I am going to eat my first meal around 10:30 - 11 AM and then dinner at 4-5 PM. My first meal will be either breakfast or lunch food, depending on what I feel like eating. I guess this is like intermittent fasting. There are so many times that I eat breakfast, then I'm eating lunch 2 hours later, when I'm not really hungry, just eating by the clock. It will take time to get used to it, but I WILL get my BS down.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #75  

Ok, well here I am again with another link. I think I spend too much time online. LOL But this is how we learn, isn't it? I was researching various diabetes information and came across this interesting info. It is from the blog from Blood Sugar 101. Has anyone ever read that? Just Google Blood Sugar 101 and it will come up.

One of the things this helped me with is understanding that FBG is not the most important reading for us. It is more important to keep long term BG low, such as the 2 hour after meals reading. FBG can be high for various readings, but it is the long term high readings that cause the most damage. For example, if your FBG is 90 but your 2 hr readings are above 140 for hours at a time, that's more dangerous. But if you FBG is 130 but your 2 hr readings are below 140, then you are not necessarily in the danger zone. Be sure to read down to the Q&A at the bottom. It's interesting.

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2...ood-sugar.html

I'm leaving for the day, so I promise I will be posting no more links! LOL

Have a good weekend, everyone!
Closed Thread