Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ruthie I understand about foods that I don't bring into the house. I'm reading a book on Intuitive Eating and one of the things they say to do is to bring those things in the house and they will lose their power. It is one of the IE things that I disagree with at least for me. I love honey bungs and craved them when I was pregnant. Money was scarce so my aunt bought them for me to have one a day. I saw them in the bakery at Walmart and someone got smart and made small ones individually wrapped. I stood there and even picked up a box of them and decided NOT to trust it. It is like when I was in Overeater's Anonymous someone in our group decided that we could take the goodies we bought for our kiddos and freeze them so we couldn't eat them. Really, is there anything we can do other than not bring them in the house to stay out of it when we want it? We found we could just microwave them to thaw or dunk in coffee. So for me, it is best that I just don't bring some things in the house because I know that I am setting myself up to fall off the wagon if I do.

I think I'm going to eat a little more low carb. I am really craving protein right now. I've got a small roast cooking for today. I told DH last night that I am hungry for some real food. Of course, I also read in this book that teaches you to eat intuitively that once food loses it's power over you because there is no bad/good foods and all foods are allowed that those foods lose their power over you and you stop wanting them and start wanting the foods that are healthier and better for you. I sure hoe that is where I am now. I am suddenly craving some good veggies and protein. I do know if I can eat more of a low carb plan that a lot of the fluid retention will go away. Also I would kind of like to see if low carbing works better now that I'm not taking any NSAIDs.

Well not much is going on in our town. DH heard that Rock Hill only has like 2 trucks to take care of the main roads here in town. Hairdresser put on FB that one of the main roads is closed off. They have still asked people not to get on the road unless absolutely necessary. I think we are okay until Sunday. If we have church, we can go to Walmart before coming home as it is just a couple blocks from the church.

Carol Sue So glad you don't get much of the snow etc. I saw on the news that somewhere in PA they had a big pile up etc. I was so glad to hear from my son. I missed his call, but he did leave a message that he is okay. He should be on his way home in Hyanis (sp), Mass. His girlfriend wants to move to FL. I figure you worry about them wherever they live. With him being a truck driver, it sure keeps me praying for his safety wherever he is.

No plans for Valentine's Day. Just glad we are safe and together.

Still have over 220k people without electricity as of 8 am according the our governor's report on FB. Sure hope Bonnie and her family are ok.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I think if you are going to overeat on something, keep it out of the house. Many people say they have snacks in the house for the kids, but the kids really don't need junk food either. It just teaches them bad habits that will come back to bite them when they become adults. When I was growing up, we only had that for an occasional treat. We ate our meals and nothing else. My mother baked a cake if it was someone's birthday. She never bought ice cream, but occasionally we could go to the corner store and each get an ice cream cone, not a gallon of ice cream we could just keep eating and eating.

It's good that you are craving good protein and vegetables. That is your body telling you that it wants nutrition. You know you don't really want those honey buns!!! If you stay away from sweets for a while, eventually you won't want them because they will taste sickening sweet. I can eat a piece of cake, but if I eat the icing it is too sweet and I can't stand it.

I bought a loaf of sourdough bread. I'm not sure if I like it or not. My store had it in the bakery. I bought a round loaf about 10 inches across. They also had a smaller loaf, around 5 inches across. These were both baked in the bakery. The other loaf they had was brought in from an outside vendor. I like that it is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, but it does have that strange sour taste that I'm not sure I like. If I would find out for SURE that it doesn't spike blood sugar then I would definately switch to that, but I am not sure about it. They can say anything on the internet.

I think you can eat low carb and still count calories. I do not actually eat low carb, but I try to avoid them when I can and keep them to a minimum. My mind wants to find a way to include them and still keep my blood sugar down, but in my heart I know that isn't going to happen and that's that.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:44 PM   #48  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

well, according to my fitbit, today I finally managed 10000 steps in a day. I have been steadily getting a bit more active. Still no change in weight, but not feeling too bad, in spite of a bad cold.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #49  

Mad, have you used the "sleep analysis" feature of your Fitbit? I am not interested in tracking my exercise, but I like the sound of the sleep analysis since I have had sleep problems for so long.

Congrats on reaching 10,000 steps! It would take me a week to reach that.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-15-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #50  

Mad It's always good to hear from you when you can check in. Glad the fitbit is working and you were able to reach the 10,000 step goal.

Ruthie How was the lobster dinner? I tried lobster one time at Red Lobster and didn't like it. My now deceased hubby who I was with at the time told me it was because their lobster isn't fresh. He said if I ever ate fresh lobster that I would fall in love it. Even present Hubby tells me the same and I'm sure if I was able to get it cooked right and fresher it must be true because as many of you know dear Tony is such a picky eater and he loves it and will order whenever he can get it.

Carol Sue I agree with you 100% about the junk food in the house. While we always had sweets because Mama was a chocoholic, there were a lot of things we only got only occasionally. Daddy loved ice cream, but he also loved chips etc. I didn't know until recently that he also was a chocoholic when he was a kid growing up, but I guess he grew out of it some after we kids came along. I only see him eat the salty stuff. I tended to eat the salty things like him and didn't care about sweets much at all. I've kind of learned that if I am craving sweets, you can bet that my bs is up.

Well, I am sold on low or at least lower carb. We watched a documentary on Nigeria yesterday. There was a really large woman showing the commentary around her town. They had just left a wedding they had attended for her tribe. The bride was heavy. The tour person took the lady commentary of the show to the market. She said, "When I was young, my mother took me to a fat room and they fed me to get me fat to prepare me to get a husband". She said she good so sick once that she couldn't hold the food and lost it. She was beat and sent back to continue eating to fatten her up. When asked what she had to eat she named fruit and some other foods and then she said "Carbohydrates loads and loads of carbohydrates". That sold me on the idea that I've got to stop eating so many carbs.

Carol Sue I have a calorie/carb counter and it says in the book that if you are going to low carb to lose weight that you still should count calories.

I set up MFP for low carb. I really don't know how to set up the percentage of fat because I don't really want to count fat any way. I set up my plan for today to fit the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet where I only eat starch carbs once a day at my main meal. I've got 3 meals and a couple of snacks and I barely got 1200 calories if I even got that many. Carbs are low but I don't remember what they were.

Any way, for me it has to be less carbs. Just interesting about the Nigerian women forced to eat loads of carbs to gain weight. But I think I needed to hear it.

Had a 4.1 earthquake last night at Edgefield, SC. DH has felt them before even here, but my first. Interesting, but I sure hope we never have one like others have other places. Very interesting 2014 beginning. That is southwest of me and I'm not sure where Bonnie lives. I sure pray she is ok.

Have a good weekend.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:06 PM   #51  

Had a great lower carb day. Changed my calories to 1440 still less than what MFP recommended. I tried to lower my percentage of carbs and it showed for that calorie count it comes to 79 g. I used only 70 g. So will see how that goes. Feels so good to eat and not feel stuffed, but to I actually feel light tonight and satisfied. Didn't have any time today when I was too hungry.
I'm very pleased.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #52  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hey Trish: yes, I have used the sleep analyzer. But you have to wear the bracelet to bed, and that can be irritating. The advantage is that, unlike a pedometer, if you are wearing it all day, you don't have to remember to put it on, its just there.
One thing, I don't know if anyone else has this problem. After a day or (and this happens with watches too, which I don't wear much) it feels like my wrist is heavy. I feel like I am carrying a weight around. SO I have been taking it off at night. And I switch which wrist I wear it on every day.
My idea is that I check in when I get home from work and get on the treadmill for a bit to get to my 10000 steps. I am switching tonight onto my off call and in clinic week, so a more regular schedule, and I want to push myself to that 10000 every day this week.
Have a lovely Sunday friends
Old 02-16-2014, 09:27 AM   #53  

Mad, I was the one who asked about the sleep anyalysis. Since I have become accustomed to wearing a C-pap mask to bed for 5 years I could probably get used to having the bracelet on.

Trish - I used to visit another forum about Diabetes and they recommend low carb, high fat. They eat practically no carb at all and their plan is very hard to conform to, but they have very good blood sugar and many have quit taking their meds. Their diet was too rigid for me. I don't think the fats they were promoting were actually a lot of saturated fat. There are a lot of fats that are very healthy.

Keep in mind when you enter your food into MFP, vegetables show up as carbs, as that's what they are, but they are complex carbs and that's where the fiber comes in, so if you can enter your foods without the vegetables first, you will get a true carb reading. Then you can enter the veggies and get your total carb count. It's just the refined carbs we have to watch.

I finally did my Hip Hop Abs DVD yesterday. I did it for 13 minutes, then finished off with my treadmill and elliptical. I had a hard time following the steps but I kept moving. I modified it a bit...when he did the knee lifts in double-time I continued in single-time. Today my legs and back hurt, but I don't think I injured myself...I was just using muscles that I don't usually use. If that happens next time I will probably just take a Motrin.

I looked on Bonnie's profile and she is in Goose Creek SC. Do you know where that is? Did they get hit with the storm, too?

A couple years ago we had an earthquake here. I've lived in PA all my life and that's the first time I've experienced it. I was lying in bed watching TV and I felt the bed shake. I thought DH was playing a trick on me. He didn't feel it. They said that people who were up moving around didn't feel it but you felt it if you were sitting or lying down. There was no damage anywhere.

How's it going Ruth and Rennie? Where did all the newbies go? Come join in.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #54  

Carol Sue I checked Governor Haley's FB timeline as she has the schedule of when they are trying to get everyone's utilities up and running here in SC. Berkeley county is supposed to get theirs back on sometime today. So that is why we haven't heard from Bonnie. I checked where she lives and it is down not too far from Charleston, SC. I hope she and her family are doing ok. I know she suffers so with her knees. I'll be glad when we can hear from her.

Yes, Carol Sue, I noticed that my carbs are reading a little high on MFP because of the veggies that I eat. I'm just trying not to eat starchy carbs more than once a day as the Drs. Hellers taught in the Carbohydrate Diet books. Yesterday, I did remember to eat my collard greens. I will make a stir fry tonight with them included. I definitely have to keep the green veggies in my plan and they seem to keep me from needing too much of the starchy carbs.

Since I'm counting my calories, I don't really want to do Carbohydrate Addict's 100% or any other strict low carb diet like Atkins mainly because I don't want to go so low that when I do choose to eat a carby carb that it messes me up. I'm looking for more of a balance.

I read yesterday on WebMD that they compared low carb eating like Atkins and lowfat diets to see which was better for weight loss. Atkins works best for about a year, but in the long run when compared to the lowfat diet one they work about the same for weight loss. When it comes to good/bad fats, I am a firm believer that we need to eat healthier fats. However, I'm not 100% convinced that a lot of fats they consider bad these days are all that bad for you. On the other hand, I'm not sure so I go more for the good ones like olive oil and coconut oil. I've heard bad things about canola oil and other vegetable oils, but I find there are times I just have to use them. It just depends on what I'm cooking and I don't use them too often.

I remember that earthquake your talking about. Someone on FB said it happened about 4 or 5 yrs ago. I guess I was busy and I never felt it. DH felt it and his niece lived in VA at the time and talked about it on FB. He said he felt one when he was younger and lived in IN. He and his Dad were sitting in the living room and he said that it actually rattled the dishes on the shelf. My thoughts? That's enough, I don't want to experience any stronger ones thank you.

Mad It is so good to hear from you and glad thing are beginning to come together for you. I am exercising 4 days a week and I make myself do it on the designated days I've set up. I am so afraid that if I miss a day that I will stop that I make myself exercise before I can talk myself out of it.
It took me so long to get on a plan that I can live with that I am afraid to do anything to it except tweak.

Ruthie Are you staying warm?

Everyone else Check in when you can.

Have a super Sunday.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #55  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Staying warm? Yes to the tune of $700 every three weeks for heating oil! This has been a record breaking winter for cold. The price is up a bit per gallon but consumption is way up. I keep the house at 70ºF during the day and put it down to 60 at night but still ... I must get some cold deflecting window coverings - the kitchen and back room have lots of windows and no coverings. I'm sure we lose a lot of heat that way.

My lobster tail was great! especially with snow peas and cherry tomatoes in a salad with balsamic vinegar dressing. Last night was lentil soup and some prunes - for medicinal purposes only. I really must get more fiber.

Dinner tonight will be a shrimp stir-fry with lots of veggies. I may cook up some brown rice to be eaten in controlled amounts. Breakfast is still a problem as I do NOT like smoothies anymore. I think it's because they are cold - and so am I first thing in the a.m. Being slightly anemic doesn't help, I'm sure. I may go back to Laughing Cow on crackers with some fruit.

Sure hope Bonnie gets back soon and is not cold. I have had more than enough of this winter but am trying not to crab too much since that's an old lady thing to do.

See y'all tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #56  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Ruth just read where the birds will enjoy the hot cross buns ... what a treat for them. Glad you could put them out. That's the good thing about having the kids here because I would never be able to just throw them out. I'm the one that will cut them in half and say I'll eat half to day and half tomorrow and so on. But my boys eat everything if allow

Carol Sue I have snacks in the house for everyone. The good thing about my two oldest boys is they will cook, not just snack. My oldest son decided he wanted sesame chicken the other day, he got on the computer and made it. It was very good, better than the sesame chicken we've had since we've lived here My ten year old will eat a plate of broccoli before she would junk food, maybe I just have special kids, idk minus my youngest boy all he wants to eat is anything quick When I was growing up we sometimes had 3 cookies as a snack. My grandmother would buy ice milk, I don't even know if they still make it or not and she'd bake a cake that taste like a cross between a pound cake and bread to eat with it. But you got a rounded scoop and a square of cake (looked like cornbread) but we were happy. Sour dough bread has an after taste to me and an interesting smell. I am curious to know whether or not it has an effect on bs though. Please keep us informed I agree ---> My mind wants to find a way to include them and still keep my blood sugar down, but in my heart I know that isn't going to happen and that's that. Good for you on the hip hop abs

Madeleine good job on getting all of your steps in sorry about the cold I get the heavy weight feeling with a watch after a few hours. I take it off and put it in my purse maybe because I'm not use to wearing one daily. Thanks for letting us know it's the same feeling with the fitbit because I really want one but I will know now to keep that in mind

Trish I agree with your husband fresh lobster is much better than what you get at Red Lobster though I thought they were fresh and the one I had there was just overcooked. We had lobster in Mexico and in the Bahamas and it was very good, cooked just right WOW just wow on the Nigerian lady story. That is sad Trish would you mind sharing your low carb meals please? Great job with your eating yesterday and feeling satisfied, good for you

Bonnie hope all is well and you are able to check in soon

Well my bs has been rising (136 is the highest) and my weigh is finally going back down 168.4 finally back to my 2/1 weight. I am trying to keep it low carb and some days minus Valentine's day I do very well. Yesterday was good and today is good. I plan on a yellow squash omelet and a crab cake for dinner tonight. Temps outside right now it's 52 degrees and by Wednesday it's supposed to be high 60's so nice temperatures the rest of week. I hope it's the same for the rest of you, no more snow/ice/freezing rain and below freezing temps
Old 02-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #57  

Rennie I'm not very creative with the low carb meals. Usually some type of protein with veggies. Example, eggs either scrambled with stir-fry veggies or boiled eggs with some raw veggies or nuked brussel sprouts. In the evening, I will cook some chicken or lean pork chop and put a salad with it or a stir-fry. Tonight I had a small lean pork loin which I removed all the fat, browned it and added some veggies for stir-fry. I had some left over brown rice from yesterday and decided to add it which I normally would not have done, so not very low carb tonight.

Carol Sue I decided to go over to Everyday.com to see what they had for recipes. They had an article about eating very low carb and low protein but high fat to lower bs. Seems this is the way they ate before they had insulin. They aren't ready to promote it but they seem to think that a low carb diet would work. They also said that lowfat dieting is out which I find interesting because that website really pushes cutting fat way back. While I don't think I could go fat free or very low fat, I don't think I could eat 80% fat and 20% protein either. However, I've never tried it either. It makes me feel like Atkins may be a better diet, but I'm not ready to do it yet. It just doesn't fit my lifestyle.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #58  

Rennie - It's good that you can limit your snacks even though you have them in the house for the rest of the family. Not everyone can do that.

I decided I do not like the sourdough bread. It does have an after taste that I don't like. I didn't eat it long enough to find out if it is good for BS. What I had was from the store bakery. I might try the one that came in from an outside vendor. It might not be as strong. I am throwing the rest of the loaf away, and that is a first for me. I never throw away bread. I don't even know if the birds will eat it. There is a restaurant in town that offers sour dough bread on their sandwiches. I might try that one of these days. Maybe with the rest of the sandwich ingredients the sour taste might not be as noticeable. I only ate it with butter.

Ruth, your meals always sound appealing to me, but DH does not like seafood so it's not something I can prepare for dinner. He will eat cod and salmon, and that's it on fish for him. I used to like lobster but not so much anymore. I went to a cook-out once where they cooked fresh lobster. I didn't taste a difference from Red Lobster, though. When we go to Red Lobster I like to order an entree that has 3 different items, such as shrimp, scallops and a baked fish. I get a little taste of each. DH orders steak. LOL

Trish - I think you will find a balance with carbs. There will be a point where you can have a portion of carbs and still lose weight. Trial and error will help you find your nitch. I think the "reward meal" of having carbs at one meal only is good if you can do it. I do best if I plan for zero carbs, but have a small portion once in a while. I only lose control when it comes to bread. I also love rice, but since my husband doesn't care for it I rarely cook it.

I cut visible fat off my meat. I also am not sure if fats are as bad as they say. I use olive oil and canola oil. What did you hear bad about it? I heard it is mono fat and it's good for you. Mono fats, like those found in nuts and avacados are essential to good health, but in small amounts. They still are higher in calories. I do a lot of simmering in chicken stock in place of sauteing in oil. I don't buy corn oil, but DH uses solid Crisco for frying potatoes. I don't really care for fried foods. My mother fried everything and I think I just got tired of it.

I can say that my blood work has always been much better when I've been exercising regularly. I guess I am more concerned with health than weight loss, even though a good weight loss would improve my health. I know that.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:48 AM   #59  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

B. Small ww tortilla with 2 Laughing Cow lite and six sun dried olives in it
L. chicken salad with green onions, red pepper, celery, my own mayo plus a pile of baby spinach leaves
D. not sure yet but maybe pork tenderloin medallions, broccoli and some rice which I forgot about last night

Weight back to 194 this morning and FBGL a decent 4.6 (82.8).
Old 02-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #60  

Carol Sue Using the idea from the article about lowcarb, I changed my % on MFP. I made the carbs 20% and the protein/fat 40% each. I was close today. Fat was a little high, but the other 2 were low. I can't do the "reward meal" everyday so I've decided to us it only when we go out to eat or on special occasions. We don't eat out that often any more so it wouldn't be very often.

My 2nd hubby' Mother worked for a diet doctor when she lived in CA years ago. He was a doctor who had his patients eat a low carb diet. His rule was for them to eat lowcarb six days a week, but he allowed them to eat whatever they wanted for just one day and she said it worked. People lost weight doing that. I also remember that Dana Carpendar lowcarbed except for one meal of her choice for special occasions when she ate whatever carb she would choose in advance to eat. So while I don't want a "reward meal" on a daily basis, I figure that with the info from Dana and that diet doctor that I could allow myself to have a carb or a carby meal on occasion and still lose weight and be healthy. My carbs on all other days will be coming from lower carb vegetables like collard greens, tomatoes etc. My carb count for today was 66. Protein was 127 and fats were 21 g more than the 40%, but as far as I can understand that should not be a problem.

I do believe the balance is beginning to come together on its own.

Still 20K? outages in S.C. Sure hope Bonnie has hers or will soon. Governor had to ask people not to stop the line workers who were trying to get the outages back on as they needed to be able to do their job.

Mad, Rennie, Ruth and others

Last edited by pattygirl63; 02-17-2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: to share carb count
Closed Thread