Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 06:35 AM   #1  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Default January 2014 Chat

Happy New Year to ALL of our diabetic friends … come join us in our monthly chat …. ALL are
Old 12-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Everyone. Looking forward to better results in 2014!
Old 01-01-2014, 01:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Happy New Year Everyone!!! Me too Carol Sue!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 01:12 AM   #4  

Carol Sue wrote
Quote:
I joined a 1 lb per week challenge for 2014. Like my signature says "If I had started a year ago and lost one lb per week I would be at goal." If I can't lose 1 lb per week I might as well give up.
I thought of that yesterday morning. I thought about how I was always wanting a diet that helped me lose weight faster. I remember a diet that I thought was too slow at 3 1/2 lbs a week loss. If I had just stayed with a diet where I could lose 1 lb a week, I would have been thin years ago. Now I'm doing WW Pts Plus and it says you can lose 1/2 to 1 lbs a week. If I do it right and use more of the Power Foods, I have a better chance at the 1 lb a week. I will be at least 25 lbs less in a year and might even be 50 lbs less. I know this could take me 2 or 3 yrs to get down to a healthy weight, but I will at least be going down. Good luck with your challenge. I'm going to shoot for 1 lb a week, but will be happy if the scale just steadily goes down. We can do this!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, WW is a good plan. It promotes healthy eating. I tried the online plan but found that I didn't follow it. I was able to follow the plan with meetings but it got too expensive. I can't do it on my own. I got a lot of information from hearing what the others had to say at the meetings. There is really no food you can't eat as long as you include it in your points. It makes you want to focus on zero point and low point foods, which are the healthiest ones. Good luck to you with it. Since I was signed up online once, I still have access to the site for certain online tools and I do go there once in a while to see what's new. I go on a lot of weight loss sites. I should be a skinny minnie with all the information I have access to! LOL This is going to be my year. I have a red dress that I can't zip up, and I'm going to get it out and hang it where I can see it, because I am wearing it next Christmas! One pound a week. 52 pounds by next Christmas will definately have me in that dress!
Old 01-01-2014, 01:10 PM   #6  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Fun Thread.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #7  
~Rennie

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Trish, I looked at some of my old stats and it's pretty sad because had I stuck with what I was doing, I would have been in maintainance years ago , but like you said WE CAN DO THIS

Carol Sue that sounds like a plan … wouldn't I love to be 52lbs by this time next year. (actually only 43lbs down) but it would still be wonderful. Good luck to you

Ruth and Madeleine

fbs 162 this morning, weight up 1.2lbs to 179 due to Waffle House in the early 2014 hours after church. But after church tonight I will cut out bread, white potatoes, rice, chips, junk, and sweets for the next 30 days. Whew, that's a lot Hopefully it will help me change my eating habits. I have faith in me and I can do it

Have a great day everyone
Old 01-01-2014, 03:39 PM   #8  

Starting WW Saturday paid off. They made Wednesday my WI day which I liked because I wanted to officially way today. New low for me today 231.2. Sad thing about the 7 lb loss according to 3fc is all I lost in 2013. Good thing is WW shows it was a 5 lb loss for this past short week. So I made my goal to end the year without a gain and actually got a 2 lb loss during the holidays. So I am very happy with my results. Oh yes, my fbs has been in the 140's the past 2 days. I'm seeing progress.

I always thought I lost all the weight and got my fbs back to normal back in the 90's eating low carb, but as I thought back over that period of time, I suddenly realized that I did it eating low fat with Richard Simmon's Deal A Meal plan and 1 hr a day 6 days a week of exercse. Years later when I stopped that and then had to go on a diet again, I lost weght wth Carbohydrate Addict's Diet. I started WWP+ back just before DH kids moved in with us and had to stop because I was having to spend the money to take care of them. I realized a few days ago that I am falling back into the routine that I was doing before they moved in. I am really encouraged by such a great 5 lb start with WW. I am hoping that all the healthy low carbing I was doing before WW will be like a foundation for me start losing. Carol Sue, I'm hoping I can lose 1 lb a week too, but at 70 yrs of age, I will be happy with even a 1/2 lb.

Rennie Yes we can do this. I think we have to remember on this diabetic thread (or at least I need to remember) that one diet does NOT fit all. I say that because, I have a tendency to see how something works for someone else and decide I want to try it (as those who have walked this with me here well know). I just need to stick to WHAT WORKS FOR ME and be happy about what is working for someone else, because most of the time when I do change and try to do what someone else is doing, I find it does NOT work for me.

Carol Sue I too have so much "diet/nutritional" info in my head that you would think I would be skinny as a rail. I told my doctor last time that I eat healthy but I can't seem to lose. I am fighting the same 5 lbs constantly. He said "Maybe you are eating too much of the healthy stuff and need to cut back". That is the main reason I decided to give WW a try again. So glad that I have because I am finding that my portions have dropped tremendously. I don't eat a whole serving of some foods if I don't want it. I know you lean toward Intuitive Eating like I do. If IE taught me anything it is to eat "what I want, enjoy as much (or as little) as I need to satisfy my hunger" and it works. I had a hamburger today on a sandwich round instead of a hamburger bun. I used mustard intead of mayo because I had no lowfat/ff mayo which I will switch to, but have to go to the store. Saved about 5 pts right there. I've decided to use lowfat/ff where I can and use only good fats for my 3 allowed fats. As my previous DH told me when DH was 1st diagnosed with congestive heart failure telling me how to cook for him when I asked him if Bill could have some special food he loved... he said "Yes, he can have that. You just have to learn how to trade off something else". Goes back to the old saying "You have a plan, you plan to succeed. No plan, you plan to fail". My son reminded me of that little saying the other day.

Ruthie How are you feeling today? Hope you are staying warm and feeling better.

Fatmad Are you on holiday? How are you doing? Hope it was good.

Bonnie Hope you are doing ok.

activeadventurer Jump in and let us get to know you.

Everyone else

Have a wonderful New Year's Day!!!

Last edited by pattygirl63; 01-01-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE
fbs 162 this morning, weight up 1.2lbs to 179 due to Waffle House in the early 2014 hours after church. But after church tonight I will cut out bread, white potatoes, rice, chips, junk, and sweets for the next 30 days. Whew, that's a lot Hopefully it will help me change my eating habits. I have faith in me and I can do it
Have a great day everyone
When my kids were young and we used to go out to eat after church with friends or groups from church, I really had a difficult time staying OP. Back when DH and I moved here and started going to church on Wednesday nights,
they would have a meal for people before the service for people who worked and of course everyone would eat. Tony and I didn't want to hurt anyone's feeling so we explained that we didn't eat that late and very seldom ate anything with them, but we would drink something and just fellowship with them. When we started our new church and we went to Sunday night meetings, Pastor would either buy and bring snacks or someone would bring snack foods, I never ate anything unless it was a special occasion. I just didn't want to get in the habit of eating at church. They provide food, coffee, etc now before church starts, but I don't trust me to have even one bite because I'm afraid that if I do that I will get into a habit that I can't break. So I very much understand those "church fellowship" eating. We enjoy it because it so much fun, but it also can easily lead to mindless eating. I can sit there and eat soooo much more than I realize I eat. I pray God will strengthen you as you try to change the habit.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Happy New Year! I'm ready for another year. I just went through my first Thanksgiving to New Year as a diabetic. I've learned a lot and I'm looking forward to staying on my plan. I follow a low carb, gluten free plan and it was tough during the holidays! But it wasn't impossible so I just keep focusing myself on keeping up the changes I've made with diet and exercise.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:21 PM   #11  
~Rennie

Trish, 140's … and that is me all the way. I read about something that is working for someone else and decide I want to try it only to find that I can't stick with it. Counting calories works well for me but before I didn't know I was diabetic, so it does make a difference. I just need to find a way of eating that I like and can stick with, without over doing it. LOL Trish, I didn't eat with the church. I ate with my children, my middle sons bday was yesterday and we all like Waffle House. My husband had to work this morning so he didn't go, but the rest of the family including my SIL went. I don't eat out (restaurants) often and know that I will be giving up all of the goodies that set me off tomorrow was a treat to me. But please do continue to pray God's strength for me. I appreciate it hug:

Donna, that is great. I want to look into the gluten free way of eating but I'll have to wait until February 2 when I can gradually add back in starches.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsakids View Post
Happy New Year! I'm ready for another year. I just went through my first Thanksgiving to New Year as a diabetic. I've learned a lot and I'm looking forward to staying on my plan. I follow a low carb, gluten free plan and it was tough during the holidays! But it wasn't impossible so I just keep focusing myself on keeping up the changes I've made with diet and exercise.
Good for you lotsakids for making it through the holidays low carb and gluten free. Gluten free is good, but seems complicated to me, but then I probably just don't understand it enough. That is an accomplishment that will keep you strong if you go through tough times. I say if because one time I was in a group that had a very strict diet plan. I got on it before I found a support group and did great. The first thing the group started telling me was "when you fall off the plan...." Instead of leaving that group feeling empowered, I felt like I was expected to fail. So I say this, we all have moments when we think we can't make it, but we can especially when we build on the accomplishments we've already made. You now have a great accomplishment making it so strong through the holidays. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Good luck on your journey!!!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Trish, 140's … and that is me all the way. I read about something that is working for someone else and decide I want to try it only to find that I can't stick with it. Counting calories works well for me but before I didn't know I was diabetic, so it does make a difference. I just need to find a way of eating that I like and can stick with, without over doing it. LOL Trish, I didn't eat with the church. I ate with my children, my middle sons bday was yesterday and we all like Waffle House. My husband had to work this morning so he didn't go, but the rest of the family including my SIL went. I don't eat out (restaurants) often and know that I will be giving up all of the goodies that set me off tomorrow was a treat to me. But please do continue to pray God's strength for me. I appreciate it hug:.
My doctor taught me that ANY DIET will work. He said the trick is to find what works for you that you can live with. Sounds like you are like me, once we know what works for us that we need to stick with it no matter what.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #14  
~Rennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
My doctor taught me that ANY DIET will work. He said the trick is to find what works for you that you can live with. Sounds like you are like me, once we know what works for us that we need to stick with it no matter what.
Trish, I am sure hoping to do that this year I have messed up everything that I have done in the last two months. My fbs was 177 this morning and my weigh in was 180.4. Three pounds up from my ticker. Now with all that said, I am confident that I will reach my November and December goal of 175 this month for sure. Today has been totally on point, gotta start some where
Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #15  

I've had a really good OP day. I'm using loads of Power foods and eating less. I think trying to keep things healthy during the holidays has helped. I eat the power foods, but only eat as much as it takes to satisfy me and I'm finding that it doesn't take so much. Talked to my sister today... she and her husband attend WW meetings. He has lost 18 lbs (she says eats off when they bring things out at his job) and she has lost 20 lbs. It really helps me to talk to her and hear things she has learned from the meetings. I'm just not a meetings person because they bore me after a while. She and I realized today that we both have a portion control problem probably because Mama always fixed just enough for each persons plate and we always finished what was on our plate. So now, we have to use WW Pts+ to learn portion control on our own.

Rennie I was up 1.2 lbs today, but I don't worry about that because I know that I do that. Difference about this time with me is that I know that I can do this and I'm totally enjoying the foods that I like and enjoy and ithis will work for me so if I am patient and stick with it. That is all we can do. My doctor told me that a lb up can mean a lot of different things like you didn't go to the bathroom. I've learned that my sleep (getting at minimum of 7 hrs), how much water I drank the day before or foods with salt can cause my weight to fluctuate. So if you are working the plan you are own, just be patient and give it time to work.
Closed Thread