Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Sorry about the visit with the GS. Sounds a lot like what we went through when DH grandkids and their parents lived with us. The sad thing is that you can't really enjoy them and feel bad when they leave because you are glad you don't have the stress any more. Never had that with my grandchildren. The eating will be better once things are back to normal for you. I agree with your cardio nurse, I don't think we should ever eat when we are not hungry and I don't think we should refuse to eat if we really are hungry. I may eventually try the Simply Filling WW Plan, but I've got to get to where I "really" understand it and know that I can totally commit to the plan as they use a lot of FF foods. I have no problem with lowfat, just not sold on FF. I guess that comes from learning what we have with IE, Atkins etc.

Bonnie Hope your doctor's visit went well.

Ruthie and Madeliene Been thinking of you two and all this cold weather. Since it seems to be coming down from Canada, I know y'all are having it really bad up there too. Hope you girls are staying safe and warm.

Lizzielou I think I remember you having been here before. Am I right? Glad you are here.

Rennie Glad your fbs and scales are co-operating with you right now. Even if the fbs seems to bounce (as mine does), it is good that it is lower.

I don't like weighing in the middle of the week. Since I'm doing WW on-line, I changed it so that my WI day is Sundays. I lost 1 lb this week. And my fbs was 127 yesterday and 135 this morning. So things are coming along slowly, but nicely. I know this pace is healthier so I am adjusting to it very well.

I read in the Daniel Plan that sometimes people exercise too much. So I am going to stick to my 30 a day exercise. I will become more active around the house etc, but I don't plan to even attempt to do more formal exercise than my stationary bike.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. Have a nice evening and I'll catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #92  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Carol Sue I'm sorry your GS gave you such a hard time I would have put him right in the big part of the cart, rather than chase him. You obviously have more patience than me

Thanks Trish, I'm gonna try these new exercises I found on webMD. I did some kind of survey for diabetes and the link was there. It shows 20, 30 and 60 minute exercise and and said I only have to really burn 250 a day eating 1134 calories so I would need to consume 1384 calories a day to lose 2lbs per week.

I was reading in the End of Diabetes book that red meat isn't good for us (animal products) he even says to limit fish to a small amount only once or twice a week, eggs and dairy are not good for us.I haven't read most of the book and some one else has it on hold so I couldn't renew it, but I've placed it on hold for when they have to return it. I have really changed up my eating habits and really don't want to do all vegetables. Carol Sue if you are following this book, what do you eat?

weigh down another .4 to 169.2 and fbs was back to 100. I can't wait to get under that. I will probably eat the same meal for days to see if it sticks

Last edited by love2b150; 01-26-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Rennie, other than the past few days when I didn't get in too many veggies, I have been eating a lot of greens for lunch, and if I don't have any, I eat other veggies, like broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, carrots and mushrooms. The End of Diabetes stresses mushrooms as one of the main veggies to eat, but eat them cooked, not raw. I know you said you don't like mushrooms, but I love them and I like to saute them and mix them in with my greens. I will never be able to follow his plan 100%. I rarely eat red meat, but I eat a lot of chicken and have fish about once a week. I will never cut back on protein the way he suggests. I eat a normal dinner, with animal protein, but I try to eat a lot of veggies with it. I rarely have milk, and I have cut way back on cheese. I used to buy blocks of mozzarella cheese and slice it and eat it with hi fiber crackers, but I have all but eliminated that. I am looking forward to getting back to eating the veggies. I feel so much better when I'm eating them. I'm doing good adding the veggies, but I'm not doing very well with eliminating the carbs, and I still eat beyond the feeling of satisfaction. I guess my biggest problem is, and always will be, bread. I love bread and butter, and I like sandwiches.

Trish, I remember the issues you were having when you're relatives were living with you. That was when I first started posting on this board. My grandson has been diagnosed with ADHD and they are trying different things to improve his behavior, and right now they are trying a gluten -free diet. I think part of the problem is he is an only child to older parents,(they are both in their 40's) and his mother came from a family of all girls, so as a boy, he gets spoiled. They say they discipline him, but I don't think they are consistent with it. The fact that my husband will NOT correct him about anything does not help the matter when he's here. So I get to be the meanie. LOL The good thing is, we will not be watching him overnight for a while. We're getting too old for this.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #94  
~Rennie

Carol Sue thanks for the update Bread is my weakness also, so I know I have to stay away from it. Do you eat extra of the healthy breads we were talking about also? If I eat that I don't want anymore and I'm not too thrilled with the taste of it toasted LOL on your GS's parents being in their 40's ... our youngest is 10 and the older kids always say she gets away with everything. We figure she's not bothering anyone so she's fine and she's usually right here beside one of us so no worries.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #95  

Rennie - I still buy the Nickles 35 bread that I mentioned before. It is low cal and high fiber. I keep it in the freezer and I use that if I want toast in the morning. I also like it toasted for a lettuce and tomato sandwich. But in between, sometimes we get Subway Sandwiches. I get the turkey and veggie one like Jared used to lose weight, LOL, but I should NOT be eating that roll. Jared was not diabetic. Sometimes DH and I will split a turkey club sandwich. This is the bread that sneaks in where I should be ordering something else. I know that. I always think I'm going to have this one more time, but then one time turns into two times etc. If I order a regular meal I do much better, because I get my entree and 2 vegetables...no starch and no rolls.

I think with my grandson I am concerned about something happening to him on our watch. If anything happened to him I would feel so terrible. DH is of the belief that nothing is going to happen. But kids get snatched out of stores in the blink of an eye. I thought about putting him in the cart but he is too big for me to lift, and he ran so fast I couldn't catch him anyway! He didn't want me to tell his mother but I did. Maybe if he knows I'm going to tell his mother, he will do better next time. He was just badder than usual this time.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #96  

Carol Sue My DH was the biggest problem for me when his kids and grands were living here. Still have the same problem with him with the oldest GS who comes in on weekends from college. He would gripe and complain about things they did or didn't do which would get me focused on those things and I was a nervous wreck. He still does it some with DGS, but he isn't here that much and I've learned to ignore the complaints. I figure the GS is only here a few days or even a few hrs and I can live with his ways. I'm just not going to get stressed out by it any more.

Well, girls, I too love the bread. For one thing I take after my Daddy and I'd rather have a sandwich any day than anything else and doing WW, I've been having them. However, I have been hitting the grain carbs a little heavy (did 1 Vegan day and a few almost Vegetarian days) in the past week. I've decided to slow down on the grains and while I still intend to eat what I really like, I plan to go more balanced and follow the Daniel Plate plan which is a serving of fruit (I can't/don't do this for every meal as doc told me 2 servings a day), 1/2 plate of non-starchy veggies, 1/3 plate lean protein, 1/3 plate starchy veggie and glass of water or herbal tea.

This is using the easy Daniel Plan meal guideline of--

50% Non-starchy veggies
25% Healthy animal or vegetable protein
25% Healthy starch or whole grains
Side of low-glycemic fruit
Drink -- water or herbal tea

I drink my coffee in the morning which DP approves of the Stevia I put in it and I use FF half and half. The rest of the day, I either drink green tea and water.

So I'm really kind of settling into The Daniel Plan using the Weight Watchers Pts + to be sure that I keep my portions in check. I've kind of learned that I can have the starchy foods I like if I work them in this plan. Also by knowing I can have them (like we learn in IE), it takes away the cravings. I think we crave things that we think we cannot have. Just my opinion.

I even worked up a WW plan using CAD and considered doing WW with the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet that I like and I while I may do that on days that I want a lighter day of eating, I realized that I don't want to set me up for failure. One thing I like about WW is that you can change it up and have or two as a Vegan/Vegetarian Day of eating or a very carby day or just a balanced day. You can change up the way you eat. I remember seeing a poster at WW back in the days when I went that said "Have a vegetarian day". I think changing things up a bit is probably good, because it fools your body so that it doesn't know you are dieting and hopefully it will release the fat instead of holding on to it.

Rennie So glad you found exercises that will help you. I think it is important to get just enough exercise, but not too much. From what I read in the Daniel Plan, there must be a balance in exercising too. I think the important thing is to get moving around. My sister can't walk or exercise much because of her hip (she plans to have hip replacement this year). I've convinced her to just do what she can that any movement is better than none. So she is trying to do that more. I am in the habit of riding my bike and actually enjoy it. Since I changed my WI day to Sunday, I feel more comfortable with my weekly plan. I will do at least 4 days of the bike with Sunday and Wednesday off. I will do Tai-Chi on Tuesday and Thursday. Then on days I do lots of walking at the store etc, that will be added to my exercise as low impact walking. Nice thing with the WW e-tools, I can even count my housework/cleaning too. That is sooo motivating for me.

I think we have our plans, now it is just working them and letting them work for us.

Bonnie, Madeliene, Ruthie, LizzieLou and others

Have a nice day.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:09 PM   #97  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hi everyone Thanks for all your wishes my DR apt went well I am down 14 pounds. I have to go back Wednesday for a checkup but with us supposed to be getting snow and Ice I will have to see how the weather is and if they will be open. Knees is doing good I have been doing my Walk it out on the wii and when it feels like its is starting to hurt I go do the Body cycle. Other then that I have been doing great so far.
Jest getting ready for this winter storm Believe me the south here don't see much snow so people are freaking out we jest went and got plenty of bread and stuff for sandwiches and the hubby is getting the generator ready for if the power goes out. My son has his humaria in the ice box and we don't want nothing to happen to that. Well I better be going still have lots to get done still. Sending to everyone!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:46 PM   #98  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
Hi everyone Thanks for all your wishes my DR apt went well I am down 14 pounds. I have to go back Wednesday for a checkup but with us supposed to be getting snow and Ice I will have to see how the weather is and if they will be open. Knees is doing good I have been doing my Walk it out on the wii and when it feels like its is starting to hurt I go do the Body cycle. Other then that I have been doing great so far.
Jest getting ready for this winter storm Believe me the south here don't see much snow so people are freaking out we jest went and got plenty of bread and stuff for sandwiches and the hubby is getting the generator ready for if the power goes out. My son has his humaria in the ice box and we don't want nothing to happen to that. Well I better be going still have lots to get done still. Sending to everyone!
Bonnie Yahoo!!! 14lbs gone. Congratulations!!! Glad things are getting better. We weren't supposed to get any of the winter storm but they have now put our city on the list for snow. My DGS, my hairdresser and others will be thrilled. We went to the store and we are ready to stay in and see the beauty of it from our windows.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #99  

It's nice that you girls in the south get to see snow once in a while. I have always lived in PA and have never had a winter without snow. It's just a given. But I do agree that it is beautiful. I would not want to live where there was never snow. My BIL and SIL moved to NV several years ago. They are in the desert, but they can go to the mountains for a weekend and there is snow there, so they still get to see it.

Trish
, at 5 years old, some of the things my GS does are things that can hurt him. This weekend he got on my elliptical and fell off, cutting his finger on the box fan. He could have hit his head and been hurt much worse. DH lets him do these things, but I told him we have to realize that this is someone else's child and they put him in our care. He is a very active boy and he runs and screams and throws things, and that doesn't bother me. But he will refuse to eat, but wants candy and junk food and I think at 5 he needs to eat at least part of his meals. If we let him do something that he's not normally allowed to do, he goes home and tells his mother that we let him do it. She will ask me about it and it puts me on the spot. I tell her that Pap Pap let him do it. LOL
Old 01-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #100  

Carol Sue I had a registered day care in my home for years and I understand exactly what you say about being responsible for a child who belongs to someone else even a grandchild. I always felt DH grandchildren were allowed to do things that could hurt them, but couldn't get anyone else to understand. I had no problem with other things. Since they have moved from here, they have found that the youngest GD has some real bone problems and I have to wonder how much of this is caused from some of the dangerous things she was allowed to do. They may have not caused her problems, but they surely don't help. We can only pray for God to take care of them when no one listens.

I found a little notebook that I keep in the bathroom which had my weight and my measurements from December 27th. My weight was up a little today probably because of salt intake yesterday and eating out, but I decided to use the weight of today and to measure to see how my progress has been in a month. I have lost 4.4 lbs and an all over 8.1 inches. The measuring helps me see that I am making progress.

Strange, after doing a lot of reading on WW, I find that they suggest a lot of fruit and veggie 0 pts eating as fillers. However, warns not to overeat those either. Suggestions of eating proteins with the fruit and veggies (sounds lowcarbish), which doesn't have to be meat. The protein can be from cheese/dairy or even protein substitutes... leaving to the preference of the eater. Very good info and so easy to work with The Daniel Plan/IE combination. I really believe that when my WW membership is up in March that I will go strictly with the IE/Daniel Plan combo. The Daniel Plan makes it so easy to eat healthy.

I've got a small beef roast in the electric skillet with carrots and red potatoes and I will probably add broccoli to it. May even add a salad with it, not sure yet. We bought one of those Costco packages of 2 roasts in a package and I cut the roasts in half and get 4 roasts out of it for just the 2 of us. I plan to take what is left over and make beef roast later in the week so it makes it economical for us.

With the info I've learned on the WW suggestions for snacks, I've ended up eating a good low carb breakfast, our main meal and then use the little 1 or 2 sometimes 3 pt snacks that I've put together from their suggestions so that I end up with lowcarb snacks the rest of the day most of the time rather than a 3rd meal. I believe this is going to work out nicely for me.

Have a nice day and stay warm and safe everybody.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #101  

Trish, I have found that since I first dieted back in the 60's carbs were limited. Then there was a period, I think in the 80's that they were promoting eating carbs, such as a plain baked potato. I always try to think about the diet I was on when I was in the hospital after my heart surgery. It was "Heart Healthy/Carb Control." As a diabetic, they gave me carbs, but they were very small portions. For example, if they gave me potatoes, it was 2 small cubes of roasted potato. Not the way people normally eat.

I don't agree with WW about not overdoing the veggies. I know they say they are 0 points, but not unlimited. Did anyone ever become overweight by eating too many vegetables? I don't think so. I can agree about the fruit, because of the natural sugar. I know you like fruit, especially berries, and I think berries are an ideal choice, at least that's what it says in The End of Diabetes. They have fiber and antioxidants.

For a couple years I had a little notebook where I tracked my BP, BS, weight, food and exercise. I did it every single day. Once a week I entered what I could into Fitday on my computer. Then I had my bowel surgery and that was the end of that. I have tried to start it again but can't get back to it. I do it for a week or so then I quit again. It really kept me on track. WW is very big on tracking. Overall, I think WW is a good plan especially for people who don't want to give up certain favorite foods. You can eat anything you want in moderation, as long as you stay within your points. You can apply low carb, IE, low fat.....any food plan you like can be adapted to WW points. I think even if you start to use the Daniel plan you will still remember the pointers you learned with WW.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #102  
~Rennie

Carol Sue I still have my healthy life bread in the freezer. I haven't had any bread or form of bread at all since New Years Day. Jimmy John's has a wrap called a unwich that has no bread it's wrapped in lettuce. I haven't tried them yet I've only heard about them from a post-er on another thread. I do make my own with the lettuce greens. My daughter wants to walk off to the toy section most times by herself and she's almost my height and 10 yrs old but I won't let her go.I'm trying to get her to understand there are some mean people out there but she still doesn't get it so we still have to keep close watch. Maybe your grandson will be better the next time now that he knows you will inform his mom

Thanks Trish you have a lot of plans under your belt and a lot to think about daily. I applaud you and glad it's all working for you

Bonnie wow 14lbs that is great. Ok I know you have probably said but what are you doing with the doctor? I remember phentermine ... are you also following a particular diet plan? Which Wii game is the walk it out on? I'd like to give that a try.

My fbs is back to the 120's the last two days my weigh is staying at the 169 mark. I'll have to figure out how to get things moving since going to the gym right now is due to lack of funds for gas and back weather now
Old 01-29-2014, 12:11 PM   #103  

I am happy for you guys, but I must admit, I am jealous of all your successes. Not a mean jealous, you know. I am totally aware that you are doing things right and I am doing things wrong. Maybe you will inspire me to clean up my act!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #104  
~Rennie

Carol Sue, there are some ladies on another thread that I'm on I told them the same thing this morning. I so want to get to where they are but the only way to do it is to stay focused I know. So far so good. I think when I finally get to the 150's I may feel a little better but right now really getting into the 160 is a chore. I have decided to do an Atkins induction type day tomorrow and maybe Friday and see if that will help
Old 01-30-2014, 11:47 AM   #105  

I was hungry all day and ate way more than I should have. Finally realized last night what I did wrong. In IE you learn to eat what you really want, not what you think you should eat. Lesson learned.

I got up yesterday morning wanting cheese toast, but saw my egg substitute in the fridge and decided that I need to use it before it ruins. Instead of eating what I "really did want" as I know to do with the idea to remember that the egg substitute was there to use later when I wanted, I made a very nice burrito type egg wrap that really tasted good, but I never got what I really wanted. Although I didn't do it for a "dieting" reason, it still had the same result as if I had. I ate everything I could find to eat until last night I suddenly had a strong desire for a really good salad. I haven't had a salad in a while because of the cold... I've been eating veggie soup instead. When the desire for the salad hit me, I listened to my hunger (IE way of eating) and honored it. I finally ate something I "really" wanted and I was satisfied.

My use of WW was never supposed to be used to get rid of what I've learned in Intuitive Eating. It was supposed to compliment it. So I am back on track to using WW with IE. I didn't gain but .4 lbs from it so it is just water gain. I have been eating a lot of pretzels... sure wish they would make this stuff without added salt. Any way, I put the rest of them down the garbage disposal. Better down the disposal than on my waist.

I have come to the place where I don't let these set backs be a disaster, but they are learning situations that can make my way of eating become better. I'm not going to allow them to be excuses to get off plan. They are just bumps in the road that gives me information that will help me on my weight loss journey. I've come to realize that when I hit those bumps that I have to make a choice on how to handle them. I can either make a good choice or a bad one. It is all up to me.

Have a nice day everyone.
Closed Thread