Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I had the same problem with the salt on my kale. I switched to the sea salt and it is not processed so it is saltier than table salt. I'm having to learn that it doesn't take much. I found out that my kale was so small because it is baby kale and it breaks up to easy. I haven't been able to get to a store that will have good regular kale. Walmart just doesn't take care or change out their produce very well here and the kale in both of the stores I went to were too old and wilting. I plan to go over to Food Lion when I get out of the beauty shop Saturday and see if they have it. They are good about keeping fresh produce. I think the larger will work better and the woman I saw make it on a tv cook show didn't break hers up really small. Funny thing about the salt shaker use, when I was young learning to cook, I always forgot to put salt and pepper on foods that I cooked. Never got use to using them until I married and DH put salt on everything. However, I have to say that when it came to snack foods, I did love salty snacks like any kind of chip. Although, I really didn't overdo those back when young. I probably wouldn't use it cooking now if it wasn't for cooking for DH. I still don't over salt my food.

I agree Carol Sue that I should have no problem staying OP for T-Day. I have looked for so long a healthy way to eat using the Intuitive Eating so I don't have to count calories etc. I have finally after all these years found my way. No Diet just eating healthy.

I was up 1 lb this morning making my profile weigh right on. I expected it to be up a little because I knew the low yesterday was because I had lost everything I had eaten the day before. So I believe that is more accurate and I am right on track. Very pleased with the results so far this week. FBS was back down from yesterday as well. Not down where it was day before yesterday but back down. I'm actually hoping that by eating this way that I will be able to get rid of some of the vitamins that I eat.

I did have watermelon and a banana today so far. I'm cooking fish, peas and a big salad for main meal. I always put 1/2 TBS of chia seeds in my salad. I don't think that I can handle more than that. Think I will steam a couple of little red potatoes w/skin and some veggies for supper this evening. I love this way of eating.

Y'all have a very good day.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #47  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Have been at or below 180 for the 3rd time this week. TOday was 178, will change my ticker soon I think. Things are a bit better at work.
Sorry for the quick flyby, but happy to have the weight going the right way.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mad - I am happy for you, too! And I'm glad that things have improved at work. Work issues can effect your whole life, no matter how much people say to leave work at work. I haven't been in the 170s since 1993. Isn't that awful?

I was watching a TV show about anorexia, and I wondered to myself, why can't I get that, just for a little while? I in no means intent to make light of this eating disorder. I know that people suffer terribly from this and some actually die. But isn't it odd that there is so much sympathy for those with anorexia, but so much criticism and ridicule for those who are overweight? There are probably many more who overeat due to emotional or psychological reasons than there are those who starve themselves for the same reasons.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 11-15-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #49  

Fatmad Congratulations on new low and glad things are better for you at work.

Carol Sue That is interesting isn't it?

Well, I'm back down to the 233.6 this morning for real but won't do a ticker yet or change it on my profile yet either.

Have a great day everybody.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #50  

I put my ticker back on as I'm actually back to 233 this morning. Still not where I need to be when I go to the doc in a few weeks but I still have a little over a week. I was 231 when I saw him, but not going to worry if I'm not there yet. He never worries about a lb or 2 any way so if I can at least stay where I am or a little lower, I will be fine. Haven't really done anything to mess up the blood work readings so that should be good enough to please him. Now that I have the way of eating that works for me things should just get better and better as I go. Still have to get my Tai Chi routine down. DS#1 will be here next weekend and I will have him help me get some of the steps down that I don't seem to grasp. Then I can get into the routine of that along with my stationary bike which I've got in the routine of at the minimum of 4 days a week and sometimes even 5 or 6 days so I'm good on that one.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #51  

None of my doctors mention my weight at all. The only time my PCP mentioned it was when I had the big drop after surgery. I think they realize that I know I need to lose weight and it has to be my decision in the end. I think I did best when I was in the hospital and the food I was allowed to have was brought to me, and nothing else was available.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #52  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Happy Saturday Everyone

Sounds like we're doing well

I changed my ticker finally from the 184.6 that it read and as usual the next day (today) it is off the wrong way. TOM has arrived, so I think (because it comes and goes) so I am up a pound to 181.4. I still have hopes of being at 177 by Thanksgiving but I know that will take a miracle since things are already going the wrong way. But this too shall pass On a better note fbs was 125 this morning

Have a great day
Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #53  
Madeleine

Hi everyone:
I have finally changed the ticker for the better. I seem to ready to stay under 180 for good.
I am interested in the conversation about eating disorders. Yes, anorexia is a mental illness, but is overeating also a mental illness? I don't see myself as thinner than I am when I look in the mirror. (At least not as far as I know)
I don't overeat because I think I am wasting away! .
But it would certainly help for folks to be less judgemental and just accept any person as she or he is. I often don't notice how heavy some friends are, I just enjoy them so much.
Some people saw my daughter's wedding photos and asked about her crash diet. (she is naturally a thin small girl with a healthy appetite, and has never dieted at all.) SO being thin with an overweight mother makes people think she crash diets or has bulimia or something. More judgement. grr.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #54  

Mad, I think some overweight comes from mental illness, but not all. I think compulsive over-eating is on the same order as OCD. That would include those who will eat a half gallon of ice cream and an entire cake at one time, right after finishing dinner. Some people appear to be average weight but are bulimic. For a long time I have been one who eats when I'm not hungry, simply because the food is there. I have never eaten a whole cake or anything like that but I have continued to eat at dinner way beyond satisfaction. I have also grazed my way between lunch and dinner, never allowing my body to feel hunger. I think with me that is a bad habit that can be changed over time with behavior modification. I don't think that, or having cravings, is actually a mental illness but just bad habits.

This is really weird. In my minds eye, I see myself as thin...normal size, to the point that when I look in the mirror or see a picture of myself I am shocked at what I see. I have never heard of anyone else who says that. It's usually people who see themselves as much heavier than they are. I wonder why that is? When I start to feel that I'm going to fall off the wagon, all I have to do is go into a store and try on clothes with that 5 way mirror and I am so shocked at what I see that I don't eat for the rest of the day.

I had a friend at work years ago who was like your daughter. She ate a lot, but was very thin. She was in her 20's. Now she is in her late 40's and has 2 children. She complains that she has gained weight, but she is probably up to a size 10 at the most. For her, that is heavy, but not above a normal weight on the BMI scale.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #55  
Madeleine

ON plan with a busy day. staying on plan on days like this lets me know I can do it. hurray
Old 11-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #56  

I am actually eating only 2 meals a day. Didn't really plan it that way, just not hungry. So I'm really doing IE and not going wild with my eating. No snacks. Don't need them. How long will the go on???? I haven't a clue, but I'll take it.

My oldest son and his fiancé will be here Friday night and spend the weekend with us. I haven't seen him in 11 yrs so I am really excited and looking forward to seeing him and meeting her. She and I have talked on the phone and email each other. So I feel like I know her already. He is hoping she will like it here and maybe he can talk her into them moving here in the area so we can see each other more often.

So DH and I are busy getting ready for their visit which helps keep me from eating.

Finally found me some kale and hope to get time to make some chips tomorrow. I also love kale in my salads.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #57  
Madeleine

Am at a two day conference, and what food and wine. I expect to be over 180 when I get home, but will get back into plan right away. And today will stay on plan, I really will. One thing is I drink more water at these things, but the food is too good to limit much. Ack, undermining myself.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #58  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Oh dear! I was down to 187 yesterday but was attacked last night by a salty marinade on my meat and then by those Ferrero Rocher chocolates which I vowed not to eat this year. Strangely enough FBGL is 5.6 this a.m.

Back onto the straight and narrow today!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #59  

I am still in the process of changing my eating habits. I am not perfect every day, but I have been losing 1 lb a week for the past 3 weeks. I would like it to be more, but it is what it is. Better than gaining.

I have made 1 big change. There is a restaurant we go to every week where they have the best pizza. We ate it for years. When I was diagnosed with diabetes I started ordering something else while my husband still ordered the pizza. Not only did that add to our bill, but it seems that no matter what I ordered, I still ended up eating a slice of pizza anyway. So I decided, why go through that? So now I'm back to having the pizza only. It's once a week or less, we split a pizza and a big salad, so now I eat the salad and have 1 slice of pizza. I know it spikes my blood sugar, but if I can control my carb eating the rest of the week, I don't think I'm doing much damage. There have been times that I would eat the cheese and topping and leave the crust if I still felt I wanted another slice.

I have decided that kale chips aren't for me. I didn't want to waste the kale I had left so I sauteed it and wilted it down and it was delicious. I put 2 TBS olive oil in a large frying pan and sprinkled in some garlic powder. I added the cleaned and torn kale leaves, tossed, added 1/2 cup of chicken broth, covered it and let it simmer for several minutes. The garlic and chicken broth added a hint of flavor and it was delicious.

I have also become hooked on quinoa. I quit eating rice after I was diagnosed. I tried brown rice once and didn't like it, but gave it another chance and developed a taste for it. I heard so much about quinoa and wanted to try it. It took 3 tries for me to get it right, but now I love it. I cook it in chicken broth instead of water and it tastes great! It has carbs, but also has a lot of protein. I only make a small amount and mix my veggies in with it so now I have replaced the brown rice.

Trish, I hope you had a good weekend with your son and his fiance. 11 years is a long time to go without seeing him.

I don't see a problem with only having 2 meals a day. The idea is to eat only when hungry, and if you are only hungry twice a day then only eat twice a day. I think you enjoy your meal so much better when you are hungry when you eat, instead of eating because it's mealtime.

Ruth, I think we have all been attacked by something that raised the number on the scale a bit, but you got right back on plan, and that's the way to do it.

Mad - There's no shame in enjoying the food at a special occasion. That is how it's supposed to work in a "normal eating" environment. It's not something you do every day. You can just enjoy it and move on.

Rennie - It sounds like you have a good plan for Thanksgiving. Some people like to be the cook and other don't. I have been cooking since my MIL passed away. Now that I'm retired, I like to do it. My husband likes that we don't have to go out traveling to someone else's house, so it works for us. I eat turkey, veggies and stuffing. I allow myself one carb and stuffing is the one thing that I love and don't get very often. I can easily pass on potatoes and dessert. That's what I have done the past few years and I don't get stuffed or have a weight gain.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving, other than Mad who has already had Thanksgiving. LOL
Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #60  
Madeleine

Carol Sue: the problem is that at this time of year there will be a lot of special occasions, and I need to start managing that.
I have made a start. I got back on plan and am down below 180 again. Tonight we went to a friend's Grey Cup party, and I Did well. (Grey cup is the Canadian superbowl for CFL football)
I did eat a few cookies, but otherwise stuck to plan. The big thing was that I STOPPED when I started eating what I shouldn't. A little NSV that way.
Closed Thread