October Chat

You're on Page 8 of 8
Go to
  • A quick flyby to share this website. This is information on Chia Seeds and the benefits for level blood sugar as well as all the other benefits of the seeds. I am going to learn how to cook with these. They lower cholesterol and so much more I can't share it all here.

Here is the website so you can read more about them and research more about them if you like. They are so be even better fiber etc than flax seed.

http://www.chiaseeds.us/chia-seeds-and-diabetes.htm
  • Trish, A woman on the Over 50 forum mixes them in her morning yogurt. I remember her mentioning them, but I don't know much about them and have never tried them. Thanks for the link.

Tomorrow is going to be a big test of my determination. I went shopping today to get the ingredients to make a big pot of vegetable soup tomorrow, and my husband wanted a loaf of Italian Bread to go with it. That is my absolute worst trigger food! I will pray for strength! LOL
  • Carol sue actually I am on 7 pills in the morning and 5 pills at night I guess it doesn't help I have a lot going on right now that I jest cant get out of my mind . I jest wish I didn't have to think about all this stuff .
  • Awww, I am so sorry, Bonnie. I will pray that things start to improve for you and your family.
  • Thanks for reminding me of chia seeds. I have a bag of them in my freezer. I used to be really big on chia and ground flax in my smoothies but have not made one for a while. Chia really does thicken if you leave it sitting for a while. I use a cup of unsweetened almond milk, a raw egg or egg white, chia, flax and some frozen blueberries.

Off to see the Doc this morning for a rib check and am hoping he'll give me permission to go back to the gym. He is also going to go over my recent bloodwork, partly for the HA1C which was a bit higher (.066) than last year when it was an amazing .058. I also need more red blood cells and he'll probably push B12 and red meat. I'll get my flu shot and we'll discuss the shingles vaccine.

No doubt the fact that the same weight as last year will be brought up and he expected em to lose weight. Guess I'm heading to low carb - hard to do in cold weather when I seem to want comfort foods like bean soups and pasta.

Sucks to get old, but when you examine the alternative ...
  • Ruth, I really recommend the shingles vaccine. I had them several years ago and they are very painful. I had a moderate case. My daughter had a mild case, but she was only 18 years old when she had them. I had pain, but after the first several days it was manageable and I continued to work. I was around 60 when I had them. I had mild pain for months afterwards. Some people get it really bad and with some the pain never really goes away. If you had chicken pox as a child you are at risk.

I am on the fence as to how I feel about beans. I know they list a lot of carbs, but they are said to be resistant starch, which means the starch does not get absorbed the way other starches do, such as bread and pasta. I love beans and eat them a few times a week in different forms. I think the only thing we can do is check BG after eating them and see how they effect each of us individually.

I had a bad day yesterday. I will not get weighed or check my BS because I don't want to see how much damage I did. The good thing was I made a big pot of veggie soup and it was outstanding. My husband and I could not quit eating it. We had it for both lunch and dinner, and that's very unusual for him. But he bought that italian bread and I ate 3 slices. I had my mind made up that I was not going to eat any, but then I decided to have 1 slice. I know better. I know that is my main trigger food, and don't you know, I went back for more. I am hoping that once I have this IE ( also called Mindful Eating) firmly planted, I will be able to eat a slice of bread without binging on it, but I have not reached that point yet. I am right back on plan today and will only eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm satisfied. I feel so much better when I'm not stuffed. This book I'm reading right now says you can eat 45-60 gm of carb per meal and still control your BG, but I know for a fact that I cannot do that. I wouldn't even try. I will have to limit my carbs for the rest of my life and I have faced that fact.

Hope everyone else is doing well!
  • Survived the doc visit and did not get a really bad lecture about missing regular bloodwork. He shifted my meds around a bit and says the ribs are almost healed. I got both the flu shot and the shingles shot so that's done.

Weight actually dropped two pounds overnight as I had a very low carb supper but FBGL this morning was 6.8 - a tad higher than normal for me. Took my convalescing friend out for breakfast this morning and had eggs and bacon - no homefries or toast.
  • Hi fiends! I mean friends happy hallowe'en. I am studiously avoiding candy, had DH buy and put outside for the kids to help themselves. He is to get rid of it before bedtime.
    I have been doing well, no new losses but still just under 180.
    RUth, I think beans are fine too. I don't tend to get spikes unless I also have breads or crackers with a been soup or stew. IF you can keep the gas to a minimum, go for it, so you can avoid the pasta.
    Sorry to be MIA for a bit, my laptop died, I am using DH's. I plan to buy a new Mac, found out I can get a faculty discount, so that helps a lot. Maybe, next week.
    Have a great time tonight, so you all on the November thread.
  • November thread :)
    Here is the November thread since Madeleine mentioned it

No candy for me. The kids made me a bag and then said that Mommy can't eat it and gave it to Daddy gotta love them

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diab...ml#post4874299