Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #61  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone: I updated the ticker. I am now actually below 180, but will wait a bit to change it down until I know it is staying there. Am on plan again today. DH has good supper planned too.
I am doing well with will power and eating, but still have to get the temptation out of the way. I will so easily eat even if not hungry.

Jo, Welcome to you. You sound like you have some sort of interesting endocrine thing happening, and although the OB/Gyn may be useful, ask to see and endocrinologist if answers are not found soon. DOn't know if you desire children in the future, but you don't want to close the doors if physical issues may affect you.
Ruth, my shoulder is bugging me too, maybe the damp weather is making things worse for us.

hope everyone is plugging along and keeping on track, love to all, and thanks for your kind words.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Jo WELCOME!!! I hope you will be able to get your health questions answered and corrected. Fatmad Helps keep a lot of us healthy here because she is so knowledgeable working in the medical field. She has been such a blessing and help to me.

Ruth I agree about the food at Thanksgiving and other foodie holidays. I often wonder why we always wait until a special day to make all that food to try to eat at one time or over the period of a few days. Wouldn't it be wiser to experience some of our favorites at other times in smaller portions? We would enjoy it so much more and wouldn't feel so stuffed or have to fight eating so much. I used to make everyones favorite dessert so no one was left out when previous DH was living. Thank God, DH I have now could care less. In fact, we will probably go out to eat for our Thanksgiving.

I have another clean day OP. The WW pts plus is working great for me. When I want something and have to check how many pts it is going to cost me, I am finding it easy to say "no" if it is more than I want to spend. In fact, I said that to DH today when he wanted to eat something that was bought for me. I told him that I wouldn't be eating it any more because it costs me too many pts.

I haven't had my ticker on for a while because things have been so crazy with my weight bouncing. I was excited to see 233.2 this morning getting me back down 5 lbs. I've got to lose 2 more to get back where I was when I went to the doctor in August. So I decided to put it back on here and I am hoping that when I go back to the doctor in November that I will be down in the 220s.

Bonnie, Carol Sue, Rennie and others

Last edited by pattygirl63; 10-15-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:31 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Welcome Jo. I hope you get your medical issues resolved soon. Menses can stop for so many reasons. Some doctors blame weight for everything when they don't know what else it could be.

I read online that diabetes can cause shoulder pain. I had pain a couple years ago caused by Cipro, tendonitis, and I still get it off and on, especially when I am lying down. Since I read about the diabetic shoulder pain I often blame my BS since it has not been under control lately.

Ruth, when you enter your food in Fitday, make note that your total carbs will include the carbs in vegetables, too, and they are not the carbs that cause us trouble, so you are probably much lower as far as starchy carbs are concerned.

Have you ever tried spaghetti squash? It really does look like spaghetti. The first time I had it I was disappointed because I expected it to taste like spaghetti, but now that I know better I eat it often, with just butter and salt and pepper. Lately I have been cubing a small zucchini and sauteing it in a little butter. Then I mix in some salsa and sometimes a bit of shredded cheese. It's tasty. Now I have bought a butternut squash. I never ate it before, but I am going to try cooking it in the microwave, cubing it, and adding some butter and cinnamon. Cinnamon is said to help lower BS, but other than on my apple I haven't found a use for it other than cinnamon toast and cinnamon buns, both of which are NOT good for diabetes. LOL My husband doesn't eat any of this stuff so it is usually my lunch. I am trying to add more healthy foods to my diet. I never liked salsa before as most people use it as a dip for tortilla chips. But adding a little to some other foods has me buying it every week now.

On Thanksgiving, I only make pumpkin pie, because my husband likes it. My DIL usually brings a pumpkin cheesecake. Luckily, I am not a dessert lover...I have a bigger problem staying away from the stuffing. LOL Love that bread.

I did pretty good yesterday, too. I have not weighed or checked my BS yet today, so I don't know how well I actually did, but I feel good.

Mad - Watch that ticker go down!!! ^5!!

Trish - Doing good with WW!!

Rennie - Even though it would seem better if your family didn't leave their food out to tempt you, it helps you build up resistance to it. You cannot hide from food the rest of your life, so it's best to learn how to say no.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-16-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #64  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Madeleine Congratulations on being below 180 I can't wait

Trish to another OP day. And on saying NO when the points don't allow. You have a plan, it's set in place and you are working it out keep up the great work

Carol Sue, I like spaghetti squash also. I love stuffing, mac n cheese, yams, potato salad all of the starchy stuff at Thanksgiving. I hope by this Thanksgiving I will actually have total control We still have about 6 weeks (give or take). On the note of leaving junk food in plain sight ... since I have only been eating right for four days (this being the forth), I need as little temptation as possible. Building a resistance this early on for me, is NOT going to happen. When I mature a tad more in my eating and can actually say NO like Trish then they can have there cookies and chips too on top of the fridge that's where all of the junk food is kept My hubby sat beside me and ate Nutter Butters last evening, I found myself staring and had to shake it off, LOL. It was too late to be eating anyway but he's skinny so he doesn't care

I had another OP day yesterday though I did go over my calories by 351. I had an unplanned Atkins shake for dinner and a half piece of my sons fried chicken thigh, skinless but battered in flour. I burned 334 on the treadmill. I weighed in at .6 down to 186 even and a FBS of 122 <--- Ladies that is the lowest in a very long time. I am finally doing something right. I pray I can keep it up.

Well have a great day Everyone, blessings to all for strength and healing
Old 10-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #65  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Madeleine Congratulations on being below 180 I can't wait

Trish to another OP day. And on saying NO when the points don't allow. You have a plan, it's set in place and you are working it out keep up the great work

Carol Sue, I like spaghetti squash also. I love stuffing, mac n cheese, yams, potato salad all of the starchy stuff at Thanksgiving. I hope by this Thanksgiving I will actually have total control We still have about 6 weeks (give or take). On the note of leaving junk food in plain sight ... since I have only been eating right for four days (this being the forth), I need as little temptation as possible. Building a resistance this early on for me, is NOT going to happen. When I mature a tad more in my eating and can actually say NO like Trish then they can have there cookies and chips too on top of the fridge that's where all of the junk food is kept My hubby sat beside me and ate Nutter Butters last evening, I found myself staring and had to shake it off, LOL. It was too late to be eating anyway but he's skinny so he doesn't care

I had another OP day yesterday though I did go over my calories by 351. I had an unplanned Atkins shake for dinner and a half piece of my sons fried chicken thigh, skinless but battered in flour. I burned 334 on the treadmill. I weighed in at .6 down to 186 even and a FBS of 122 <--- Ladies that is the lowest in a very long time. I am finally doing something right. I pray I can keep it up.

Well have a great day Everyone, blessings to all for strength and healing
But Rennie, you ARE passing on the bad food that is right in front of you. First with your son's cook-out food he left out, and then with your husband's Nutter Butter. That's a beginning, and it's showing in your FBS. Boy, do I want to see a 122!!! Years ago, when I kept my weight off with Atkins, I ate breaded fried chicken. I figured since I wasn't eating actual bread or potatoes or rice, that little bit of breading wasn't going to hurt me, and it never did. It wasn't something I ate every day.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #66  

Good to see everyone doing so well.

Fatmad I forgot to congratulate you on getting below 180. So happy for you.

Rennie When the kids moved out I moved all tempting foods into the cabinet they had used for their food. It helps if you could find a place where you don't have to see it. Don't know if you have room to do that or not. Like Rennie said though, the situations you have handled thus far are real accomplishments so look at those as things you can build on. Those are the things that helps us to remember when we get into another similar situation in the future of "I did it before so I can do it again". The more we do it the more we feel like a winner and feel we can face it and do it right again.

I am blessed to be seeing the scale going down a little bit each day, but I was excited to see that I was down to 232 this morning. 3fc doesn't show decimals, so the 233 yesterday on ticker actually was 233.4. So today I am down 1.4 lbs. I am making this fun by keeping a daily graft chart that shows my weight each day and I am having the fun of watching it go down after so much bouncing back and forth. So needless to say WW is working beautifully for me. I do eat starchy carbs for the extra fiber I need to keep things moving. I use the double fiber bread which only counts as 1 pt for 2 slices, but usually only have 1 slice. It is nice to have just 1 pt and all that fiber if I do have a sandwich. I won't use much mayo because it is 1 pt per 1 tsp and not sure I want to switch to FF or LF so I use mustard instead. Small changes but it works. I end up using about 3 sometimes 4 servings of starchy carbs a day which keeps my carb count below 90 grams. Those doing more carbs on the WW Low Carb site seem to try to recommend not going over 100 g. I actually think I could possibly be in the 220s by next week sometime. I am so excited to finally have a plan that is working for me. FBS has been high the few days I tried going strict low carb, but adding the carbs seems to be bringing it back down slowly, but it is coming down. I think I can't do the fruit which up sets me, but I read somewhere on a low carb site where someone explained that we don't really have to have fruit and how we can get the vitamins and nutrition that we get from them in veggies which they named. I didn't copy the list so hope I can find it again to get it.

Busy afternoon. We all seem to be finding our plans and our way and I am wishing all of us a great OP day.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #67  
~Rennie

Carol Sue, thank you, I didn't see it that way ... I was reading in one of the books I picked up to fry chicken in pork rinds, I'm gonna give that a shot. LOL, the stuff they had was from the fast food place "Cookout" it's just plan ole greasy. Now if we had a cookout at home, I'd eat for sure because my son or myself would be making the burgers so I know what kind of beef I'm eating and I know they are grilled. You can't see them prepare anything at Cookout it's set up like Checkers or like a Sonic type place, you drive up or walk up. I'm going to add things in later on but right now I just want to be good. If I get my fbs to where it should be I will know that I can do something good for me with the help of all of you.

I have said it before and I will say it again, YOU ALL HELP ME MORE THAN YOU KNOW. and I am truly grateful.

like you saying this to Ruth earlier ... make note that your total carbs will include the carbs in vegetables, too, and they are not the carbs that cause us trouble, so you are probably much lower as far as starchy carbs are concerned I never thought about this so I went back to look at MFP to see what my carbs really are the last few days and they are great.

Trish which starchy carbs do you eat? I was thinking maybe add the Nature's Own double fiber back in for lunch or better yet breakfast with cinnamon, what do you think? I need the fiber also. I haven't been to the bathroom since Saturday (sorry if TMI). If you find that vegetable list/link please do share. Thank you
Old 10-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #68  
Madeleine

yes, am staying on plan, scale was 180 even again today. I hope for a little woosh soon. Today was long and tiring, but just fine, no worries, simply busy.
Gonna need a nap though.
I will read more messages later, after the nap
Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #69  

Rennie I eat the Nature's Own Double Fiber bread when I eat bread. It has enough fiber to keep me from craving more. I eat one slice toasted, plain in the morning with 2 boiled eggs, 2 sl bacon and 1 c of coffee. There was a time when I thought I would never look at a boiled egg again, but I've had a real desire for them lately and going with it. I put about 1.5 tsp of coconut oil in my coffee is the reason I don't put anything on my toast.

I get 29 daily pts on WW. I have 7 pts every morning for breakfast. When eating at home, I try to keep my pts count around 15 to 16 pts and then use the remainder for dinner which right now I'm using WW dinners because DH eats only one main meal and snacks the rest of the time. It is easier for me and I try to keep the dinner pts at 7 or less. Then later at night I have air popped popcorn for a snack. I eat air popped because it is 3 pts just like most 100 popped, but it doesn't have the salt. I eat the pop corn and the double fiber bread so I too can go to the bathroom. I don't like taking laxatives as I've seen too many elder women that used them all their lives and couldn't go to the bathroom. I would rather do it all naturally. In fact, with the amount of fiber I'm eating and the "good" oils I am using, I think that is the main reason why my weight is starting to come off. I've always said that if I could get "regular" that I could lose weight. If you haven't been eating fiber and just starting, add it slowly and build it up a little at a time because if you start eating too much fiber too fast, it will bloat you and you may weigh a little more a few days before it starts moving through your system. I've done that before and not knowing what was going on I thought the fiber made me gain. I didn't know it was because I ate too much to soon. I would eat about 5 grams for a few days and then add another 5 for a few etc until you reach the amount that works you. Also be sure to drink plenty of water to keep from bloating and to keep things moving smoothly.

We ate at Buffalo Wild Wings today. DH and I always half a meal, but I couldn't find the count in my books so had to estimate. So I only ate 4 pieces of wings and we shared the cheese dip and chips. Even estimating, I think I met my 29 daily pts plus 7 of my 35 weekly pts allowed. We only eat out 2 times a week. Sunday is breakfast out and I eat pretty much what I eat at home so my pts will still be within 29 pts on Sunday. I won't be using any of the other 35 pts so I'm good and STILL OP.

After lunch we went to our new Sam's and walked a tood hour or more before going to walk around Walmart. I was thrilled to find Extra virgin Organic Coconut oil at Sam's for about the price I pay for the Pure Coconut oil at Walmart. So I got a jar of it to switch to organic when I am finished with the pure. So today has been a really good productive day.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #70  
~Rennie

Trish I'm gonna have your breakfast in the morning. Gonna add it up on MFP and see what I get. Question??? Does coconut oil taste of smell like coconut? I don't like either but would give it a try if it didn't

I was hungry after church. I went to Food Lion and found this grape sugar free jam with fiber (Polaner). It's pretty good much better than smucker's. It says a tbl spoon is the serving (5 calories) (2 net carbs) but I didn't eat a tbl. I don't even use a full serving of regular jelly, I don't like the texture. ... oh I ate a slice of double fiber bread, a little of the jam, a cheese stick, some sunflower seed kernels and a cup of prune juice. Trish I hope this isn't too much fiber. I shall find out huh

Well another OP day. Trish like you the fiber bread doesn't make me want more maybe because it taste nothing like white bread, idk.

Well good night ladies, rest well

Last edited by love2b150; 10-16-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #71  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Checking in. Ticker is still accurate despite being attacked by a bag of those darned Goldfish crackers yesterday! I was expecting a gain from water weight but all is well, probably because I ate low carb last night - very small steak and a lettuce salad with blue cheese dressing.

Actually slept right through the night - if you call 11 to 5 through the night. My body seems to be getting back into it's 5 a.m. wake-up mode. Sure wish I could change that for the dark winter mornings. When I worked, I went to work for 7 and my internal alarm is stuck at 5:20. Grrr!

My fridge is getting pretty bare - two peppers and some lettuce is bare! Now that the back/ribs feel a tad better, I plan to wash out the crispers and take a trip for veggies. I seem to be craving fruit and will get some of the local apple crop plus some oranges. I've been really good about taking my vitamins but know I need some natural Vit C to speed healing.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #72  
~Rennie

Ruth glad to hear you're better Apples seem to be the thing now. I keep reading about people eating apples. I have a bag but haven't ate one since I started eating right.

I did well scale wise down 1.4 to 184.6 but my fbs was up 152. It had to be eating the double fiber bread last evening, it was after 9 or maybe after 10. I won't have it tonight so we shall see how I fair in the morning.

Oh Trish I had your breakfast, I am full I also drank 1.5 bottles of water so that could be it also

Hope you all have a great day

Last edited by love2b150; 10-17-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #73  

Trish, it might matter what kind of fruit you are eating, the portion size and also if you are eating it with a protein, or maybe with your meal instead of a snack. I think that is supposed to alter how the sugar is absorbed.

I guess they changed WW again. I get mad at how they keep changing the program. When I went last year, the max points you could have were 26 and then you got 45 weekly points on top of that. It makes a difference, because if they change what you are allowed to have, they also have to change how many points each food represents.

Rennie - Have you looked into any books at the library? I went there today to get a novel I wanted and while I was there I picked up 2 books that seem to be about compulsive over eating, or food addiction. One is "From the First Bite, a Complete Guide to Recovery from Food Addiction" by Kay Sheppard. At first glance, it seems to be about Overeaters Anonymous, which is based on Alcoholics Anonymous and the 12 steps. I have read about that before and didn't seem to get anything out of it, but I will read this and see if it is presented in a way that will get through to me. The second one is "A Course in Weight Loss, 21 spiritual lessons for surendering your weight forever" by Marianne Williamson. I didn't have a lot of time to look over what they had and I just grabbed the first two that looked interesting. I actually have read so many books and nothing clicked with me so I am not expecting any miracles. But it's a start, and they are free from the library. I have given up on diet books and diet plans. I feel that any diet will work if you stick to it. I know what to do...I need to work on sticking to it.

I am going to look for that Nature's Own bread you guys have been mentioning. Is it sold in regular grocery stores? I was buying Nickles 35 multigrain bread. It is small, thin slices, lower calorie and higher fiber than regular bread. I kept it in the freezer and it lasted a long time, and I liked it, but I got tired of buying two breads all the time so I figured I would cut bread out altogether. Well, that didn't work, and now, when I eat bread, I'm eating white bread, and I shouldn't be. I will compare the nutrition information for each of them and decide what to do.

Ruth, my internal clock is also set for 5, and I haven't worked for 3 years. Occasionally I can fall back to sleep until 8 or 9, but it's rare. I get up and read in the morning. It's quiet until my husband gets up. LOL I try staying up later, but I am yawning and I feel so exhausted so I give in and go to bed. I fall asleep in a second, but I don't sleep long enough.

Mad - I don't want to forget you. It sounds like you are really busy, but that's not a bad thing. Maybe it keeps you from mindless eating. Doing Good!

Jo - How's it going?

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #74  
Madeleine

Just realized the apple crisp I just ate was made with sugar, not the low carb one I made for myself. Ahh well.
Just a bit tired today, after working half the night. Otherwise things are good, but the sleep deprivations makes me want to eat, and overeat. So am going to nap now.
Ruth, so glad you are feeling a bit better.
Trish, keep up the good work, sounds like a good plan you are doing right now.
Hello to everyone else, will be back tomorrow and will read more posts.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #75  

I am so amazed at how well this plan is working for me. After eating 11 weekly pts yesterday, I was down another .6 lbs this morning. I looked back to see what I weighed when I went to the doctor in August and I weighed 233.4 so I'm already 2 lbs below that. I thought I was 231 back then. So I am thrilled to already be lower. I started tracking DH with WW pts today. I've been working on marking boxes etc how many pts are in the foods he eats per serving. We had a really good lunch today. I made a recicpe for cod fish and potatoes out of the new WW magazine. I had to make shift some spices and used regular potatoes rather than gold because that is what I had, but the whole recipe was only 5 pts. I added a salad, our daily serving of milk and we have WW ice cream bars. I only eat the ones for 1 pt. His are 1 to 4 pts depending on flavor and servings. Should be ok for him as he doesn't eat breakfast. He usually only has about 2 pts of fruit when he gets up.

Rennie - I like the Polaner jam too, but the last time I ate it, I found that it caused my bs to rise too high. Could have been something else I ate but can't remember what else I ate that day. I think I was using a different bread back then not sure. Glad you can handle it. The coconut oil doesn't really have much of a taste that I can tell. Doesn't taste like coconut. I use it because I heard it would lower triglycerides. I decided to see if it works and mine were down when I had my last blood work done in August. So I have kept it. I don't use a whole Tbs like they said in my coffee, but I do use it more than butter and other oils now. Congratulations on you weight loss.

Fatmad Sorry about the sugar in the apple crisp. I hate it when something like that happens to me. But it probably won't hurt as long as it doesn't cause a craving. Good to see you posting again. Thanks for the encouragement. Now that I have such a good plan that works for me, I will stick with it. Getting DH to do it with me will be a big help too.

Ruthie Glad you are feeling better. You might be able to work your Goldfish crackers into you plan so that it doesn't derail you. Just a suggestion because you know your plan better than I do. My little Grandson loves Goldfish crackers. He has had the chickenpox (even though he had the shot is in 1% who get it any way). His Mom text me and told me he wouldn't eat anything but Goldfish crackers and asked if it was ok. I told her that he has to eat... it was ok to spoil him but she would have a problem when he is well. LOL Good to see you here too.

Carol Sue I am not using the newer WW plan. I am using the original Points Plus of 2009. My calculator says 29 daily pts and 35 weekly. Most of the threads on sites I went to, I find this is what they are doing as well. In fact, I asked one of the 3fc threads if I needed to join on line and get the newer info and they said I could just use the one I have. I really don't want to join or spend the money for a new one. I had 1/2 banana this morning with breakfast and did fine. I haven't had an apple again, but I seem to have done better eating it earlier in the day with a meal too. So I may be able to have the 2 servings allowed for diabetics, however, at this point I know I can have 1.

Jo Jump in and tell us about yourself and how you are doing.
Closed Thread