Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO OUR CANADIAN FRIENDS!!!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #47  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone, and I appreciate the Thanksgiving good wishes. We had a lovely family meal yesterday, and great visit too. I mostly stuck to plan, made a low carb dessert for me, (apple crisp, sugar free, with nuts) and just had a bite of regular apple pie made by Dad's lady friend, and half a homemade and delicious cheese biscuit, and 3 pieces of sushi. (DSIL and his Dad always bring sushi as appetizers, as they are japanese, and it is now part of our family tradition)
I did over eat a bit, and will blame the wine for that.
I should also explain, I am not anti-carb. In fact I do eat some carby veggies, like a bit of potato (about 1/2 a medium one on occasion, but never mashed potatoes) and beets and carrots etc. Its really the grains that do me in. Once started, I can eat baked goods and grains and never stop.
Overall, I am declaring the day a success, in that I stopped eating the 'treats' with just a taste, and didn't gain weight. Still hovering at 180, but not higher. This week is the week I will dip below.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Hi everyone, and I appreciate the Thanksgiving good wishes. We had a lovely family meal yesterday, and great visit too. I mostly stuck to plan, made a low carb dessert for me, (apple crisp, sugar free, with nuts) and just had a bite of regular apple pie made by Dad's lady friend, and half a homemade and delicious cheese biscuit, and 3 pieces of sushi. (DSIL and his Dad always bring sushi as appetizers, as they are japanese, and it is now part of our family tradition)
I did over eat a bit, and will blame the wine for that.
I should also explain, I am not anti-carb. In fact I do eat some carby veggies, like a bit of potato (about 1/2 a medium one on occasion, but never mashed potatoes) and beets and carrots etc. Its really the grains that do me in. Once started, I can eat baked goods and grains and never stop.
Overall, I am declaring the day a success, in that I stopped eating the 'treats' with just a taste, and didn't gain weight. Still hovering at 180, but not higher. This week is the week I will dip below.
I'm glad you enjoyed Thanksgiving, Mad, and it doesn't sound like you overindulged too much. Just enough to enjoy.

When I am in control, I can eat a bit of carb here and there like you do and still keep my BS in line, as long as I eat it with other foods, like protein and fat. Bread also gets me out of control. Yesterday was a very bad day for me. I totally binged on carbs. I had ravioli for lunch, fettuccini alfredo chicken for dinner, bread, and some french fries when my husband made them in the evening. Oh, and a big tootsie roll. I don't know what got into me and I was very angry with myself afterwards. I was way over 200 this morning. But I'm back in line today, so I guess that's a good thing. I guess I had to get it all out of my system.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #49  

Madeleine I think you did great having just a little of what you wanted. The low carb dessert sounds good. I do have an apple each day. Fruit was one of the reasons that I wanted to count my carbs. Are you still going to Weight Watcher's? Are you finding it easier to count the points with low carb? Just curious. I try to watch the calories and carb count. I've started taking Weight Watcher's magazine again because it was offered with a Vegetarian magazine that I wanted. I need to learn how to make more interest veggies and thought that would help.

I've had 2 good days back OP. I still have a tendency toward really low carb because I just like eating meat and veggies with a small amount of carby foods. I too have to be careful of some carbs. I must have the carb count (mostly estimated) right and eating the right ones because I have lost my desire for sweets, bread and pasta. I'm almost afraid to eat them at all because I'm afraid I will start wanting them everyday. I do eat double fiber bread when I eat it because of the fiber does help my fbs, but I find I have to be careful with it because I end up wanting to eat it everyday. I start out with one slice and then I want more. I have to keep it at a minimum. My Mama craved fresh bread when pregnant with me and I believe it.
Talk about an addiction. I could be if I would let myself.

Have a good day.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #50  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Madeleine I'm glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinner and your dessert does sound really good.

Carol Sue glad you're back OP today, but all of your food on Saturday was good I know

Trish yay on two OP days . I eat the high fiber natures own also. Funny I guess because it's healthy I never crave more of it I think I'm more of a sweet carb nut but I also love white bread and I can make it sweet

Ruth and Bonnie I hope you are doing ok

weight this morning down the .2 that I was up yesterday but thanks to all of my carbs my fbs was 241 this morning. On a good note I think I am off to a good start after my Friday and Saturday eats I truly need to be ... I have had Campbell's chicken noodle soup with a whole lot of Ritz, mac n cheese, cup cakes, birthday cake, pancakes, grits, Krispy Creme doughnuts and a biscuit ... I did have some good for me foods but not nearly as many as the bad for me foods. Today I have been OP. I had an Atkins shake before church because that is all I had time for (I read the article that Kim posted) but the shake was better than eating more biscuits. For lunch I had chicken salad made with mayo and sweet relish (I bought some dill relish today) with spinach. For dinner I am trying to finish some chicken sausage with green pepper and cucumber. oh snack was 25 pistachios and even though it doesn't call for it I may have a sugar free gelatin for my evening snack.

If you have an evening snack ... What time do you eat it?

I've been praying for a way to work out, well my husband signed us up for a gym membership. They are running a promotion and we got in on that. God is good.

Have a great evening everyone
Old 10-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #51  

I've got 3 days OP behind me now. And last night I found a group on a low carb site that does a Weight Watcher's Low Carb combination. I've been reading it and I think I can handle using the WW Pts Plus system rather than the calorie counting. I was so thrilled to find them especially since I had just asked Madeleine if she was finding it easier to do. I thought I had read about doing WW with LC in the WW magazine, but couldn't find it; but I am thankful to find people online that do it. Some of them switched to it when they got stalled doing regular WW and they also gave examples of their meals. Some eat more carbs than others but they do keep them low. I think I read where someone on there said they keep the count below 70 grams. So now I know it can be done.

I'm not too sure how or if you can low carb vegetarian style as I have days I lean that way, but I'm not willing to be 100% vegetarian. I just like meals or days when I prefer for my eating to lean that way. I think WW will help with that as well. I remember when I went to meetings years ago that they even suggested (had signs with pics on the wall) changing things up a bit and having some low carb days, some days more carbs, some vegetarian. More variety. Don't know exactly how that would work. Might have to find me a WW group or might just join online again.

I think this is a good way to have the healthy carbs that I want to keep in my diet, have the fiber I need and learn how to do it sensibly and stay within their guidelines. I just get too wild sometimes with the calories. When I do strictly low carb, I overdo the protein and the fat. So WW PP system seems to be the way to go to will help me learn to keep the portions where they should be.

I think a lot of women in my church who have lost a lot of weight has done it with WW and they are looking great. I want to be one of those people... who looks like that. At least I'm doing it right this time. I already have my exercise program going ahead of time, so that will be a big help.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 10-14-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #52  
~Rennie

Trish glad you found that thread/site. I'm searching and reading also. I picked up 4 books at the library yesterday and if I find them useful, I'll just buy the ebook. Most of the books that I've book without knowing what they are about have bascially told me the same things I already knew. ... I am happy to say that I did well yesterday with my low carbing and no breads, rice, pasta. I was down 3lbs of water today and my fbs was 153. You all know that is a record for me. Just have to keep it going. Day one down, now I have to keep day two in check . I'm having lunch with my little one she asked me as I was dropping her off. I'm having a homemade salad with salad greens and spinach, classic Caesar & cheese and the chicken salad that I made yesterday. I'm taking a s/f gelatin just in case I want something sweet so we shall see.

Have a great day Ladies

Last edited by love2b150; 10-14-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Rennie - good for you on sticking to your plan and losing weight. Also for your FBS.

So far today I have not had any sweets, bread, potatoes, rice or any other starchy carbs. I had a big salad with hb egg and cheese and the veggies are carbs, but not starchy carbs. My husband made himself a kielbassa sandwich and I was tempted, but I just ate a small piece of the meat without bread. I was proud of myself! I haven't decided what we're having for dinner yet but I'm hoping I can stay carb free the rest of the day. I think I need to get through one good day and maybe it will get easier each day. We are going to do this!!!

Trish, when I did WW I did low carb. I ate a lot of veggies because for the most part, they are zero points. It's not unlimited, but I ate a lot of them and I still lost. I did very well, but I could not justify the $42.50 per month and I also did not like the leader. I tried doing it on my own but couldn't stick with it without the meetings.

Rennie, I know you couldn't do this with gelatin you are taking with you, but did you ever try Redi Whip on your SF gelatin? It is very low calorie and low carb, low fat, and it gives you the feeling that you're having a more elegant treat. My husband eats a lot of canned fruit and he puts it on his fruit, too.

Mad - You need to adjust your ticker. Mine is wrong right now. I'm up a couple pounds, but hope to be back down this week. I never fail to adjust it when I lose! LOL

Bonnie - I hope you are dong well. I worry about you with all you have going on.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #54  
~Rennie

Thanks Carol Sue, ... I like kielbasa ... I'll have to check it out. I ate the chicken sausage last night but I wasn't too fond of it and I still have a serving left. I put mustard on it which usually helps me to eat meats that I don't care for and it still wasn't appetizing. I have used the Redi whip before (but with a slice of yellow cake) and my gelatin. Maybe I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Well so far so good I had lunch with my baby (I got McD's for her) oh those fries (the smell) in the truck were heavenly ... isn't that sad. My daughter and her husband are here, I think they are leaving today but anywho ... they have had Cookout two days in a row. I love their burgers and their hush puppies but I didn't ask for any and I didn't touch anything even when they left them on the table last night and I was the only one up me.

Last edited by love2b150; 10-14-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #55  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone, did pretty well today. However, baking for others is leaving me with too many temptations, and will plan to drop stuff off for friends tonight.
I am driving DH to a visitation for a friend of his who passed away, and expect to be a designated driver to bring him home afterward. (especially with a longish drive in the dark, and maybe having him emotional, we are pretty much zero tolerance for alcohol) so hope to visit with some friends myself.
I would say that the problem today seems to be temptations and in just the span of the weekend, I have gotten used to bigger portions again. Didn't take long did it? SO I will work to bring that into line.
I am not doing WW and points right now. I think it was useful for a few weeks to figure out portion sized, but I have not been finding meetings helpful, or counting points. Now that I am used to it, I may try daily plate or or something if I decide to do any counting again.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #56  

Well, the WW Plus Points system seems to be just what I needed mainly because it is helping me with portion control with the low carbing. We had tacos today and using the points, I ate way less than what I normally would have eaten. I'm not sure I will join WW. I have the materials and the magazines and the new website thread for Weight Watcher's on lc. I don't want to get on a group that tells me I have to eat all the 29 daily pts and all the 35 weekly pts I'm allowed. Today I will end with 25 pts eaten because that is all I want. I've done my exercises and I now have 3 good days behind me. I am very pleased with the way the last few days have gone. I am taking this One Day at a Time. Doing my best NOT to think about how far I have to go or how long it is going to take me.

Bonnie I've been thinking about your and wondering how you are doing. Hope you are feeling alright. How is your daughter?

Carol Sue, Ruthie, Fatmad and others
Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #57  
~Rennie

Madeleine sorry about all of the temptation but I'm sure your house smells very good good idea to drop everything off tonight Sorry about the passing of your husbands friend. Praying for strength I did WW a long time ago, so long ago that I don't have a clue how it's done. Come to think of it that's one of the reasons I didn't stick with it. I didn't have the patience for it and I never had a good weigh in, so I felt like I was paying $9.99 a week for nothing. I'm glad it worked for you

Trish, I'm glad you have found what works, that's great I made tacos for the family one day last week I think and I believe I can actually eat them. I didn't use any type of shell or tortilla. I just use the lettuce, ground beef, cheese, salsa and sour cream (probably can't use the sour cream now). I love tacos. I'm babbling ... good for you on the portion control

I had my second day OP, I am hoping to keep myself carb free for 12 more days went to the gym again, did 2.20 miles on the treadmill and about 25 crunches on the machine.

Have a great night everyone and thanks for being here.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #58  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Checking in after what could have been a disastrous weekend with way too much food around. I know Thanksgiving is to celebrate the end of the harvest but do we have to eat it all at one sitting? There is really no need for four different desserts for only five adults!

I am using Fitday to track my food lately and have been sticking with carbs below 90. My latest favourite lunch is a peanut butter and lettuce sandwich using iceberg for the "bread". Bread and pasta are my downfall. I am going to try using zucchini strips for pasta later this week. Sure wish I could find one of those spiral cutter thingies for the zuke!

Back and ribs seem to be feeling a bit better lately. I've found that an hour of my heating pad is better than drugs for pain relief. I've been using the time-out to sew binding onto quilts - assuages the guilt I feel when I do nothing!

Hang in there, chickies. We will make it eventually.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 235/235/182

Height: 165.1

Hi there - my name is Jo. I am new here and wanted to drop a quick hello
I am T1 and on MDI, been struggling with weight loss - tried WW/SW and low carb and nothing is working.

I went for my 3 yearly Pap today and explained that my last period was 6 mths ago (Am 28 years old), and have hot flushes too. So being seen by my GP for a different view as my Endo keeps blaming weight and lack of activity, I cycle 3-4 times a week on a stationary bike.

Lovely to meet you all xx
Old 10-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #60  
~Rennie

Ruth beautiful doggie Glad your back is better. You know I often wonder why we eat the way we do at Thanksgiving and Christmas also. I hope that I have learned some type of TOTAL control by the time Thanksgiving comes.

Catareta back to 3FC (I see you joined in 2011) and to the thread. I'm type 2 was diagnosed in 2011. I just started low carbing two days ago, today is day 3. I hope your doctors can help you figure out what's going on soon. I started having hot flashes at the age of 27, night sweats too. The doctor told me that some woman experience pre-menopausal symptoms early but they do subside and they did. But at 47 they are back sorry you are experiencing them. You'll find a wealth of information with the ladies here and lots of support. Glad to have you join us

Ladies I am happy to report another good weigh in, down 1.4lbs and a fbs of 143. It's coming down I think it may have been lower but I ate my afternoon snack of 25 pistachios around 9:30pm, not good. Hoping for another OP day.

Have a great day
Closed Thread