Old 09-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #1  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

Default Type 2's and Intermittent Fasting

A Type 2 diabetic here:

After years of working through binge eating disorder and now getting a handle on my previously very crappy diet, I am interested in IF. I have been doing a version of lower carb, lower glycemic intuitive eating and it seems that my IE patterns fall very closely to what I'm understanding that IF might be.

I've lost weight and feel better since going to a better diet and not overeating but have hit a stubborn plateau, a weight set point that I previously sat at for years. IF seems easy enough to implement and adhere to especially since we will be traveling for the next few months.

I am totally new to the IF concept. I am female, 55, very physically fit for my condition and weight. I'm on a moderate dose of metformin, a drug for early diabetics or diabetics in control. My A1C is 6.5, nearing normal territory though my morning glucose is still higher than it should be.

I'm hoping IF will help with that. I don't have low blood glucose events unless I'm on stronger diabetes meds which I eventually have to dump. Clearly for me, losing weight and exercise is the only pill that will work to improve my condition in the long run.

Are there any Type 2's here or any IFers with ideas for me. I will cross post this in diabetic support as well.

Thanks in advance.

Cat
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I did read about the "fast diet" where you almost fast 2 days a week. I think the hard part is not the fast days, but the "normal" days. You still have to apportion, or calorie count those days in order not to overdo it and make up for the calories you missed. If you don't get lows and can manage overall, any thing that works for more than a week or two is ok, right?
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Hi! I don't know if you're still out there or getting notices re responses... but thought I'd chime in late since I just saw this.

I'm a type I, so I deal with some different issues than you do, but I am loving IF for controlling my b/s! I do best when I eat one meal a day, at dinner time, but I also freely consume heavy whipping cream in my coffee throughout the day. The HWC is metabolically kind of neutral and does nothing to my b/s at all, but does give me a steady stream of calories during the day (I normally have around 300 calories worth every day). For my evening meal, I limit carbs to about 10 or less grams and I don't eat any grains at all. I stick to approx. 50 grams of protein, which I normally have in my one meal, but sometimes I will split it up into a meal of 30 or 35 g protein and then a snack a couple of hours later with 15 grams.

This works great for me bc I don't get the up/down/up/down/up/down in blood sugar you get from eating all of those dumb small meals they always tell you to eat. And I don't get a very large magnitude shift from my one meal, since it's so low in carbs and protein. I eat as much fat as I want, btw.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote