Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My sil died from emphysema because she would not quit smoking. Her sister did too. They would shut off their oxygen to smoke. They were mid. 60s. If I could quit anyone could. I have a tendancy toward addictions which shows in my eating.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #62  

I had my appointment with the cardiologist yesterday. I hadn't lost the weight I wanted to lose, but my BP was good when they checked it so I don't have to change meds. They were running behind and I didn't get in until an hour after my scheduled appointment. The doctor was rushed, and I think maybe he forgot, but he didn't give me a script for bloodwork as he usually does. He did discuss the results of my echocardiogram and it wasn't all good news. My aortic value, which is usually my problem, showed no change but he said there is starting to be some leakage from my mitral valve. I have had the aortic valve problem since birth, but prior tests for mitral valve showed no problem. This is nothing I can change with diet or exercise. It just is what it is. Heredity, I guess. When I had my cardiac bypass surgery they were prepared to also replace my aortic valve but when they got in there they said it wasn't bad enough to warrant replacing it. The doc told me to let them know immediately if I start having shortness of breath. I don't really want to have another surgery, but if replacing the bad valves will extend my life they I'm all for it.

So now I just continue to try to lose some weight and lower my BS. I know I sound like a broken record, but even though I have not been successful in the past I will not give up.

I hope everyone is doing well this weekend.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #63  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Carol Sue that's how I feel about smoking. I smoked a pack and a half a day sometimes. Awful I know. I could smoke two on a 15 minute break and if I was out and had a drink even a glass of wine I'd smoke more, smh. I'm glad your blood pressure was good. Sorry about the other news. I pray for better for you and all of us Do you get to see him again soon so that you can be scheduled for blood work, or is he the type of doctor that will review his notes and give you a call to let you know he has placed the order for the work to be done?

Trish I am gonna for sure try the shakes in the evening but not until Monday. I bought the Adkins shakes which I will add a yogurt to and some pumpkin. I'm not sure what they will taste like but I am hoping that it is and will be a filler-upper.

Madeleine I have wanted to try the Quinoa for some time. I surely need to give it a shot though I've heard I may not like the texture. Your stuffed peppers/zuchini sound pretty good.

Have any of you tried Bob's Red Mill TVP = Textured Vegetable Protein. I used it in my chili and crab cakes. It seems to take over the taste of whatever you add it to.

I'm hoping I can end this month with a good last week of September. I haven't been doing well at all and I know it's just laziness and poor planning. Sugars up this morning and really all week. The lowest I saw was 197 and the highest 274.

I hope you all have great remainder of the weekend.

Last edited by love2b150; 09-21-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #64  

Rennie - Thank you for the good wishes. I see my cardiologist every 6 months. Right now I am not really concerned about the bloodwork. As long as I get it done once a year I think I'm ok. I am more concerned about the leaky valve. Exercise and proper eating can change the bloodwork results, but nothing can change the heart valve problems, which I inherited. I feel good now and am having no symptoms, so I might never reach the point where they have to take action.

I bought some quinoa and tried making it but I didn't like it. I don't know if I did it right because I have seen other instructions online that are different from those on the package. I will try again before I decided I don't like it. I am finding that I like things I didn't think I liked before.

When I was a kid my mother used to make fried corn meal mush and serve it with pancake syrup. I wouldn't eat it. I think the word "mush" turned me off. I was about 10-12 years old. She would make the mush and put it in a loaf pan and refrigerate it until firm. Then she would slice it and fry it until golden brown. I recently saw someone making it on TV and calling Polenta. Sounds so much better than mush. LOL I like cornbread so I see no reason why I wouldn't like this. I think I will make some, if only to bring back memories of my childhood. I'm sure it's not good for my blood sugar.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:08 PM   #65  

I tried the quinoa again and this time it turned out great. The package directions said 1 1/4 C liquid to 1 C quinoa and that's why it didn't turn out right the first time. This time I used 1 1/2 C chicken broth to 3/4 cup quinoa. Perfect texture. It was still a little bland so I mixed in some celery salt and that did the trick. I am serving it with steak for dinner tonight. I'll bet anything DH won't even try it, but I will keep the leftovers and heat them up tomorrow.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #66  
~Rennie

Carol Sue glad it turned out right this time I like cornbread (Jiffy mix) but cornmeal is gritty to me. My Aunt use to make skillet bread from cornmeal, it wasn't sweet enough for me. I'm gonna try the qunioa and some flaxmeal corn muffins that I saw on google. I also want to make some chili using the TVP. I need to get my eating in order.

Hope everyone had a great day
Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #67  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Going to try to workout tomorrow hope fully all goes well and I have no problems with my knee. so far all is well . Went walking around the block a few times went well jest had a lot of aching in my knee so I am going to try never know until I try it. I hope all goes well. Will let you all know how it goes.

Do any one have any good smoothie recipes ??? I want to try something different I have some protein powder and would like to try using it.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #68  

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Carol Sue glad it turned out right this time I like cornbread (Jiffy mix) but cornmeal is gritty to me. My Aunt use to make skillet bread from cornmeal, it wasn't sweet enough for me. I'm gonna try the qunioa and some flaxmeal corn muffins that I saw on google. I also want to make some chili using the TVP. I need to get my eating in order.

Hope everyone had a great day

Rennie
- I don't mind the gritty texture of cornmeal. I think I am going to make the cornmeal mush tomorrow. I have to get all these cravings out of my system so I can go back to eating low carb. I never tasted skillet bread. I don't like sweets, so I like my cornbread on the savory side rather than sweet. I couldn't quit eating the quinoa. I can see how some people say they eat it for breakfast, like oatmeal. I was right....DH didn't even try it.

Bonnie - I hope you do OK with your walking. Didn't you say you had a cyst on the back of your knee? Did the doctor ever do anything to get rid of it?

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 09-22-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Well, they say if you don't plan, then you plan to fail. Weight is up last 2 days and I'm sure it is not only what or how much I've eat but evidently I got a lot of sodium. Haven't been using the MFP this past week so I've gone back to use it mainly because it shows if I go over sodium count too much. I wanted to get away from using my fluid pill, but I guess I have to keep it. Although I'm eating foods that I really like and eating regular foods instead of low calorie/diet foods, I think I need to learn portion control. I'm going with the number of calories recommended on MFP which was around 1500 don't remember exactly. Supposedly with the amount of calories allowed and the 30 minutes exercise for 5 days a week, I should lose a lb a week which would be nice. If I can stick with it, I just might be in the 220s by the time I go to the doc again. I've been eating more carbs and my fbs was down to 161 this morning. So while the carbs are bringing down the fbs, I need to get the portions down so the weight will come down as well.

Bonnie I have learned that when my knees start hurting or aching to stop exercising. I have a cream I bought on Amazon to help with the knee pain (sorry don't remember the name of it) and I also have Absorbine Jr. When I can remember to do it, I rub that on my knees before exercising and it really helps. My son used to workout a lot and he told me to do that. I hope you find what works for you. Just take it easy. You have to listen as your knees will tell you when they need a break. I have a weight that I get up to that causes my knees to hurt so I know that getting the weight off would help it a lot.

Carol Sue How do you make cornmeal mush. I love cornbread, but it takes so long to make and I always make too much for just me. The mush sounds like it would be lower in calorie and I would love making a small amount of it and then pan browning it to go with my beans I'm cooking. I know a lot of people like rice with beans, but I always did like cornbread with mine. Sorry to hear about the leaky mitral valve. I know people who have had it and it caused them no problem. Hope yours will not give you any problems.

Rennie I'm trying to get my eating in order as well. I need to just get with the plan and do it. It seems to be easier said than do, but I know we can do it.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #70  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Been MIA for a while. Took a bad fall a week ago and have badly sprained my back. Sure is agonizing despite pain killers. Luckily (for me, not her) my DD arrived here last Tuesday for her week's "vacation" and has been caring for me. It's nice to have a nurse in the family. Trying to eat healthy for healing but weight is staying the same.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #71  
Bonnie

Carol Sue yes I do have what they call a bakers cycst that on the mri was showing it was leaking they seemed to think it was from all the inflammation in my knee applying pressure. They finally shot my knee with a steroid injection witch brought a lot of the swollen down and must of relieved the pressure. They wont do any thing with it unless I am having a lot of pain in my calf. Of course my feet would swell but not since the shot. They say it will go away on its own.

Pattygirl63 I am going to take it slow and easy and see how it goes. If It start to ache I will def be doing something for it so it wont be bad.

So I am sitting here with one of these new Special K heated oatmeal cereals and a 1/2 cup of yogurt I am going to try it and see how it taste.

So I have to be real care full and make sure I eat every so many hours this glimpzide I am take has a tendency to drop my levels if I don't eat in so many hours . Had that happen a few times hubby made me go buy small containers of orange juice so to keep on had I also have a small bag of m & m's in my bedroom for this too.

Well wish me luck I am going to eat and then workout. I am currently taken 6 pills in the Am and 3 in the evening I jest want to get off some of these meds..
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #72  
~Rennie

Bonnie just take it slow, hope you had/have pain free walks soon I bought a Special K chocolate peanut butter protein bar yesterday to try it was really good and definitely curbed my hunger. I'll have to buy more, hopefully I can get a box of them and it will be cheaper. I hope you can get off of some of your meds soon also.

Carol Sue, your husband and my husband crap me up. I try my hardest to get my husband to try new things but he rarely does. I call him my big baby enough my baby (age 9) will eat everything that I eat/try.

Trish My eating what I planned yesterday worked well eventhough I did eat some candy corn (I love that stuff). I think that was the only thing I ate, nope I ate a few of my husbands chips (just wanted the salt) but other than that I did well. I love beans and cornbread but that's a lot of carbs for US right? I like beans/peas and rice also

Oh my Ruth, I'm glad your daughter is home. I pray you have a speedy recovery

my weight was down 1.2lbs this morning and my fbs though high wasn't as high as yesterday. Bonnie made me remember that I had some M&M's with the kids and my husband. I was a small pack from Dollar Tree I made sure I shared them. I am journaling again and I really need to get back on MFP also Trish.

Lunch today is cabbage soup, cucumbers with a Greek vinaigrette dressing and maybe some cottage cheese with peaches (if I can stomach them) or a Greek yogurt with peaches.

Have a great day Everyone
Old 09-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #73  
Bonnie

I did a hour with Richard Simmons and was great didn't have too much problem with my knee and it feels pretty good right now. I have made a date with him tomorrow too. Now trying to decided what's for lunch and dinner today . Will see how it goes.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #74  
~Rennie

nice going Bonnie and no pain yay you

did well today, this cold is helping with the lack of wanting to eat. I have my meals planned out for tomorrow. I'm gonna stretch things during lunch. I will have greenbeans with onion cooked in low sodium chicken broth, a corn muffin made with Jiffy mix, a tbsp of flaxseed added, 2% milk, egg (I scooped it out of the mixing bowl), Dreamfields pasta (I mixed a 1/2c of pasta in with the Lipton Creamy Chicken side and picked my pasta out before it thickened) and a baked barbecue chicken thigh with sweet agave bourbon sauce by Patti LaBelle. I made enough for two meals so I will get to see how this lunch fairs with me. However if I feel like I'm feeling right now I may not eat half of this.

Have a good night everyone
Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #75  
~Rennie

weighed in at 187 this morning so my plan is working so far. I'm on day two OP. My bs was 188 at 3:07 this morning then when I got up at 6:45 it was 205. I don't understand. I don't think I will ever understand diabetes.
Closed Thread