3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles > Diabetes Support

September Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #46
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw186/gw120

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Rennie, that sounds like a nice date.
So, I am doing low carb, but not atkins and not too strict. I am gonna share one of the things I have been using successfully, and its really been helping for breakfast.
For one, I am eating a higher fat greek yogurt.
for another, I am using a low carb, flour free cake. Some days I have it with breakfast. Today I toasted a piece and had cream cheese on it.
the cake is simple, but a pain to make, but once you have learned the recipe, its pretty simple. A little like the flax meal muffin in a minute.
So here goes.
1 1/2 cups nut flour. (usually hazelnut, this time I used walnuts. almonds are also fine)
add 1 tsp baking powder
8 eggs separated, beat the whites until still
1 cup splenda
1 tsp vanilla
mix everything but the egg whites together and beat until smooth, then fold in the whites. Divide the mixture into 3 layer cake pans that have been lined with greased parchment. bake at 300 for about 20 minutes, until sl brown and set. turn out and peel of parchment immediately. After cooling they freeze well.
I have also added a tablespoon of ground cinnamon, quite nice.

The first night I made it, I used one layer, broke the cake into pieces into 4 bowls, and added raspberries and whipped cream for a low carb dessert.
The next layer I did the same thing for breakfast, (1/4 of one layer) topped with the greek yogurt and a little applesauce.
Today I toasted my 1/4 slice and had cream cheese on it.
This adds a nice "cereal" feel to my yogurt, and helps me with breakfast choices. I get tired of eggs etc for breakfast. this doesn't taste like eggs.

Have a great day everyone

zen and the art of weight loss, finding the true path of en-lighten-ment

Old 09-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #47

S/C/G: 238/221/135

Height: 5'2'

Rennie I was busy telling you about the book and didn't see your weight loss. CONGRATULATIONS.

Also enjoy your date out with DH. I really have no advise on the food at Olive Garden. DH and I absolutely love their salad and usually fill up on it although we also love and eat about half of the food that we order and bring the other half of it home unless we get a meal that we can share. The main thing is whatever you decide to do have fun.

Trish

If you eat when you are not hungry, you just overate!!!

Last edited by pattygirl63 : 09-14-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #48

Madeleine The low carb cake sounds great. Made a copy and I will definitely making some of this. I think I have some almond flour in the fridge now. Will definitely make a nice low carb dessert treat. Thanks for sharing it.

Trish

Old 09-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #49
love to be a lower weight

S/C/G: HW 220/SW 197.2/ticker/GW 132

Height: 5'3

Thanks Trish, I'm gonna definitely look up the book. I really need all of the help I can get, so thank you. I like the idea of intuitive eating, it sounds easier to stick to than anything else I've tried. What kind of protein powder do you use?

Thanks Madeleine we had a nice day together The flour free cake sounds great but I'm no baker and I am not very patient . I'm a quick person, beat it/whip it with a mixer and put it in a pan . I'll google to see if I can find something quick. If not m boys love to try new things so I'll have one of them try it for me. I use to eat Greek yougurt but I stopped eating it because of the amount of carbs in it. Kroger has a carbsmart yogurt that has only 4 carbs so I've been eating one of those each morning not today though. Of course they don't keep me as full as the Greek yogurt does and the Greek yogurt with protein powder is even better for fullness.

I enjoyed the salad and did the unlimited pasta, I did bring quite a bit home so I didn't do bad with the pasta. I did eat 1.5 breadsticks. Got to the gas station and bought donuts and ate two, so I blew it. But we had fun. We did a bit of walking so hopefully I burned some of the calories Oh my son made a homemade banana pudding and of course I had some I will definitely do better tomorrow.

Have a great nice Ladies and thanks for any and all tips that you share

Take it 1 day, 1 sec, 1 min, 1 thought, 1 breath at a time. Learn from yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just do the best you can today//I'm not where I want to be, but I am sure not where I used to be!//Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day, a bad day turn into a bad week, a bad week turn into giving up, As long as you get back on track
Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #50

Trish I ordered the book on Amazon, it'll be awhile before I get it though but at least I'll have it.

Take it 1 day, 1 sec, 1 min, 1 thought, 1 breath at a time. Learn from yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just do the best you can today//I'm not where I want to be, but I am sure not where I used to be!//Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day, a bad day turn into a bad week, a bad week turn into giving up, As long as you get back on track

Last edited by love2b150 : 09-14-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #51

Rennie Actually you did good with your night out because you enjoyed it. I think we have to learn that there are days or meals like that sometimes and don't feel bad or guilty for any of it. Don't let it derail us. Just move on to the next meal or snack or day.

So glad you were able to get the book and hope you will find some answers that will help you as it did me. I found a protein powder supplement at my local store called Top Care. I just read in the news that the store I bought it from has been bought out by Publix so not sure it will be available when I go again. I got it because it had 20 grams of protein. If I can't find it next time, then I will have to look for another one. I read that you want one with at least 20 grams of protein so I will be looking to see what else I can find and of course, from what I remember of Publix when we lived in FL they lean more to healthy foods so I may be able to find a good one when they take over this store.

I can't believe it, but I've only managed to eat 970 calories today. I know that is lower than recommended, but just haven't been hungry. Not sure what will happen tomorrow, but did have a good day with eating.

Trish

Old 09-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #52

Thanks Trish for your kind words. I'm on Kindle now reading a sample of - Diabetes Weight Loss: Week by Week: A Safe, Effective Method for Losing Weight and Improving your Health. I may just buy this one also. So far I like the tips it's giving me. When I would tally my calories on MFP I often found that were low though I was full/content. The only thing that I noticed was that over time it would seem instead of losing weight I would just maintain but I didn't know what to do since I wasn't hungry. You'll figure it out and then share with us

Old 09-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #53
Madeleine

I had a bit of a carby day yesterday, but was careful not to overdo it. I took a sugar free (splenda) pie from a local place as well as some chicken, so I could stay within normal. THe pie was needed as there were lots of baked goods at the picnic, and I knew I needed something sweet and baked, so that was my compromise. I also had a bit of mac salad.
I did NOT weigh today. I went to the blood sugar 101 website and reread about carb binges, (although I didn't actually binge) and resolved that today would be fairly strict with the low carb, as for me, high carb days just turn into more of the same. SO my goal today is just to stay on plan. I also went for a good walk this morning with DH and dog. Not a busy work day for me, so just catching up around the house and with myself, with quiet time planned in there if the pager doesn't go off.
have a lovely sunday friends.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #54
Flower Lover

S/C/G: 232/ticker/153

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Wow! Busy spot lately.

I'm just back from a wonderful wedding and did indulge a bit. ( I won't face the scale or the blood meter until tomorrow.) The wedding was one of the nicest I'd been to in years and the food was done by a very well-known Canadian chef. (It's one of those venues with no prices on the dinner menu!) Just a lovely event and nice to see everyone and represent our side of the family. I managed to not feel fat and self conscious.

Salad and a small steak are on tonight's menu. Half the steak will be in salad or fajitas tomorrow night.

Right now I have to deliver a Victoria's quilt to a friend who is having a serious lung operation on Thursday. Yes, she smokes - and still does. Her doctor says he will refuse to treat her any further if she continues to smoke.

See you Monday.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #55

I'm trying to get in touch with my true hunger and learn to incorporate my favorite foods in my plan. Actually the Protein powder supplement is going to become my normal for breakfast or 1st meal of the day plus my 2 servings of fruit because not only will I get needed good protein, but it seems to curb my appetite. I read this is one of the important benefits of getting enough protein at breakfast. I will still keep my carbs early in the day at main meal between 2 or 3 and then eat a low carb meal in the evening because I know that I just cannot eat a whole lot of carbs. However, I still like the principles of Intuitive Eating what I really like and want only when hungry and eat only as much as it takes to satiate hunger. I don't like eating by the clock except when I have no choice, and I find that when I eat this way that it keeps me from craving foods because there are no foods off limit. This just works for me. Since I don't have my protein shake and fruit until between 10:30 and 11 am and I stop eating at least by 6:30 pm, I a seem to have automatically fallen into doing Intermittent Fasting as well. So I will get the benefits of both of those as well as the fact that this seems to do away with night time munches. I am very happy to find that this works for me far better than I could have ever dreamed.

As I suspected, I didn't lose any weight this week. I actually ended with a .4 lb gain, which means I had a .4 gain, but of course, 3fc ticker doesn't show the tenths so ticker remains the same. I'm pleased with the fact that I didn't gain any more than that while testing to find my way of eating. One great thing is that my fbs was 158 this morning. It was 203 yesterday morning. I feel I have accomplished a lot this week. I am very thankful for what I have learned and finally feel that I have hope of reaching my weight loss goal some day and do it so I can live a quality, healthy life.

Rennie I'm sure the 970 calories will not be my norm. I kept my goal calories on MFP at 1700 calories although I don't actually plan to eat that many very often. Mostly save those for days when we go out to eat. I'm glad you are getting the book. It has taken me a long time to find my own plan that works for me. I know I have probably driven some of those who have rode this journey with me crazy as I would try 1st on diet or way and then another. My greatest advise is DON'T EVER GIVE UP. You don't lose unless you give up. You must continue to fight to find your own way and then one day you will be the Winner and manage this disease and perhaps even conquer it.

Madeleine Great job taking the sugar free Splenda pie and chicken to be sure you were covered so you wouldn't be tempted to eat off. I know you eat low carb although not Atkins, but I always remember the book by Dana Carpendar where she was a strict low carber like Atkins, but allowed herself "special" occasion times when she would allow herself to eat a carb or carbs of her choosing in advance when she could. That way it was a "planned cheat" if you want to call it that. But by doing that she didn't have a guilt trip and she didn't get so far off that she had to fight carb reactions. Of course, you have being low carbing long enough that you may already know this or you may even have her book. So this is more of a reminder that these situation come up and can be incorporated in your low carb eating.

Ruthie Thanks sharing about the fajita meats. I had forgotten about fajitas. I love to take fajita beef or chicken and make either a soup or stir-fry and a salad sounds so good too. I used to eat those at night especially in the winter time. I can use those to make low carb meals for my evening meals. Glad you were able to enjoy the wedding without feeling fat or self-conscious. I missed out on a lot of things with my children in my life because of feeling fat and self-conscious. I didn't want to embarrass my children only to learn when they grew up that they didn't care that I was overweight, they just wanted me to be with them during certain events. Can't get those back. I admire you for going on and doing what you can and how you do it even when you have to push yourself. Sorry about your friend. I've known people who just couldn't give up the smoking even though they knew it was killing them. So sad.

Bonnie and Carol Sue

Trish

Last edited by pattygirl63 : 09-15-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Wow! Busy spot lately.

I'm just back from a wonderful wedding and did indulge a bit. ( I won't face the scale or the blood meter until tomorrow.) The wedding was one of the nicest I'd been to in years and the food was done by a very well-known Canadian chef. (It's one of those venues with no prices on the dinner menu!) Just a lovely event and nice to see everyone and represent our side of the family. I managed to not feel fat and self conscious.

Salad and a small steak are on tonight's menu. Half the steak will be in salad or fajitas tomorrow night.

Right now I have to deliver a Victoria's quilt to a friend who is having a serious lung operation on Thursday. Yes, she smokes - and still does. Her doctor says he will refuse to treat her any further if she continues to smoke.

See you Monday.
Ruthie The thought of fajita salad inspired me so. I found some chicken breast fajitas in the freezer and I'm making a salad with it for supper tonight. Going to the store tomorrow and going to get some beef fajitas for tomorrow night. Thanks again girlie.

Trish

Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #57

Madeleine what type of pie was it? Do you eat any of the sugar free cookies?

Ruth glad you had a nice time at the wedding and felt good being there. I made peppered steak for dinner and separated some of the beef, peppers and onion so I could have fajitas also (lunch or dinner tomorrow), thanks for the idea. My Dad died of throat cancer, he smoked until the day he passed. It's crazy to think people would do that to themselves but I guess it also falls in line with what I do with not eating right and diabetes.

Trish 153 is great, mine was 249 this morning. I like your new found way of eatng. I hope to find what works for me soon. I have old menus I could go by that would definitely help with the planning but I don't know that they are low carb because I was only then just counting calories. I don't and have never given up but I have a ton of times that I have restarted and some of those times are often in the same week. It just seems that my focus is NOT there at all. I know for sure what I need to do and just DON'T stick with it. Ruth making the statement about her friend and me thinking about my Dad does put things into perspective ... but will I use that as my guide to lead me to do the right thing? I feel that I need to have a face to face support group. I need constant accountability. I use to text with a few people here on 3FC about two years ago but then we just stopped. I like being able to say of my goodness I almost ate or I just ate or I thought about blank and didn't eat that or all of that. I also think it's different when you can check in constantly versus checking in at the end of the day. When I was on here constantly it helped a ton. But enough of my excuses I just need to get it together, but I won't give up. I just pray that I get myself in check before it's too late. I have some numbers that the eye doctor gave me that I'm going to definitely call this week to see if I can get some help with my diabetes. I definitely need to have my A1c checked again, it's been over two years.

Ok everybody thanks for listening (reading) my rant. I appreciate the fact that you ALL are here, thank you

Old 09-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #58
Madeleine

the pie was an apple crumb. It is not low carb at all, but has no added sugar, and I didn't eat much of the crust, so managed that way. Have had a little trouble with carb cravings the last couple of days, but it hasn't been as bad as sometimes, I think keeping the carbs down and planning the breakfasts really helped.
Today I was up before dawn, had a bit to eat, and gave an early presentation at rounds with one of our docs. I was pretty nervous, but it went well. I was starving by 10 am though, so stopped and got a take out western sandwich, and just at the omelet in the middle without the bread. Kept me going today.
I now have a headache, not helped by tea, a nap or fresh air. I am planning to go to yoga for 630, I hope that will do the trick. Early to bed tonight too should help.
I am happy to hear about how well we are doing, a keeping on track as well as able.
Ruthie, what is a Victoria's quilt? I am sad your friend cannot seem to stop doing what is killing her, but that addiction is quite terrible. My mother was never able to stop, and I am sure the smoking was a major factor in the type of dementia she developed.
FOr those who can tolerate quinoa, you could make 1 cup of cooked quinoa (I always use chicken or beef broth to cook to increase the protein) with stir fried cubes of firm tofu or chicken, peppers and onion, with salt and pepper and some cayenne, add some grated cheese when cooled (about a cup of cheese). Use this to stuff peppers or zuchinni which are backed about 30 minutes. yum

Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #59
Flower Lover

S/C/G: 232/ticker/153

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Victoria's Quilts? Sorry. I should have explained better. It's a group of volunteers who make quilts to be given free to cancer patients. Here's a link.

Busy day today so I just fortified myself with a nice omelet with peppers, onions and mushrooms. My daughter arrives at the Ottawa airport this afternoon at 5 so I have some things to finish up before I take off st 3. The airport drive is about an hour and a half but will be longer at rush hour. We should be home before 7 and I have a yummy beef and veggies stew ready to just heat up. Yes, it has potatoes but they are the wee new potatoes which are supposed to be less carby than the big ones. I'm sure there will be further "sins" during the week she's here.

And before you ask ... I've still not scheduled a blood draw.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #60

Found a Whey Protein Powder with 25 g protein and 8 g carbs at Walmart. A much bigger jar than the little one I bought at the other store. It is more chocolate flavor and filling. I mixed it with less than 8oz 2% milk and 1/2c fozen blueberries and drank a cup of coffee with it. I think I'm giving up coffee because it just doesn't seem to hit the spot any more. I seem to be interested in drinking tea instead. So I drink a lot of water and tea these days. Any way I plan to have my one meal a day that I eat pretty much what I want to eat and then in the evening I will mix the protein powder with Greek yogurt hoping it will be a signal to my brain that I'm not this is a pudding type treat that says no more eating until tomorrow when I have my shake. I am hoping this will stop the night time munching I seem to be doing too much of lately.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Trish

Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.