3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Dieting with Obstacles > Diabetes Support

September Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #31

S/C/G: 238/219/135

Height: 5'2'

Bonnie So sorry about all your problems. Hope things get better for you soon.

Well, I ended up with the 1.4 lb weight loss, but of course on the ticker it only shows 1. But that is okay. I did check my measurements and I've lost about 3 inches overall since last month. So I suppose it was a good week after all.

Trish

If you eat when you are not hungry, you just overate!!!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #32
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw186/gw120

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

going to start again. I have a fridge full of appropriate foods, and plans for meals for at least tomorrow. gonna do it.

zen and the art of weight loss, finding the true path of en-lighten-ment

Old 09-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #33
Flower Lover

S/C/G: 232/ticker/153

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Survived another weekend and got back on the scale. My ticker is now true. Busy two weeks ahead - a friend is having a wrist operation and will need lots of post-op support, physically and mentally. I have an out of town family wedding on the weekend and then my DD arrives for a week's visit. My DD is a carb addict so I'll have to be very careful.

Glad folks are mostly on track. Bonnie, you have so much going on I'm amazed you get in here at all! Be well.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #34
Madeleine

ruth, can you talk with DD and let her know how hard it is for you, with your diabetes? Tell her its meat and veggies and not much else?

So gang, I did it. In spite of being up half the night with a delivery, I had a low carb breakfast. No off to work for a while, then a nap.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #35
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

I want to start working out again so I think I am going to start off with all the good things I learned from PT. Don't want to do too much to quick. Things here today is quiet and Thank god I am not in a mood to be too busy today I had enough of that last week plus we have a lot going on this week Aunt has to see her surgeon on Wednesday and then Chemo on Thursday. who knows what else someone has planned for this week and not told me yet .

Glad to see everyone is doing ok here. when my son moved back in he bought his 100 gal fish tank and set it up In my little room where my computer and tv is and when I get a chance I jest sit and look at the fish so relaxing and then my parrot lets me know he is still here and wants attention too. Funny how neither one of these are mine but now I have taken possession of them. The Parrot was given to my daughter because it few out of the neighbors house and they said it was bad luck to bring it back in . Now he is in my room and I take care of him. funny how he will only respond to me.

well better get myself busy with the daily things . Hope all is having a good days looks like we are going to have some rain in here before long.

Bonnie

Realization is that I am the one who made myself fat! I control what goes in my mouth on a daily bases and now I have to be the one who takes the control !
Old 09-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #36
Madeleine

BOnnie: good to see you getting back to normal.
I am back down to 184, will restart the ticker sometime soon when I feel I can sustain my eating.
Finally had a night's sleep, working odd and long hours was taking a toll. I did stay on plan though, but it was hard. ok, its all hard.
have a good hump day friends.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #37
Struggling Dieter

My DIL just told me her father is in the hospital. He is type 1 diabetic. She said his BS dropped to 5 overnight and he was rushed to the hospital. I didn't think your BS could go that low and you would not die. This is so scary to me. He is home now, but if they don't know why this happened it could happen again. He did something wrong. Either took too much insulin for the amount of food he was eating, or did not eat at all. I have to do something now to get better control!!

Mad, I forgot that you deliver babies. That must be such a joy to be able to take part in that. Bless you.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #38
love to be a lower weight

S/C/G: HW 220/SW 197.2/ticker/GW 132

Height: 5'3

Trish for a good week

Ruth I hope you can do well with your daughter around. I know it's hard. That's my problem here with my family, carbs every where

Madeleine yay for sleep/rest good job on the 184

Bonnie you ARE and ALWAYS have been a trooper, so much on your plate You have a heart of GOLD

I'm not doing well at all. I need to go to the doctor for sure but without insurance it's scary because we certainly don't need another bill. My fbs's are in the 200's. I want to put a plan in place for two full weeks to see if I can get it under control on my own. (two weeks should be a kick start, I pray) I know the key for me is planning and to stick to the plan. I weighed in at 189.6 this morning which is up from the beginning of the month but my norm for this month so far. Any goals that I have set for this month aren't gonna happen with the way things are going so like you Carol Sue I have to do something now to get better control!!

Well I hope you all have a great day and weekend
Take it 1 day, 1 sec, 1 min, 1 thought, 1 breath at a time. Learn from yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just do the best you can today//I'm not where I want to be, but I am sure not where I used to be!//Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day, a bad day turn into a bad week, a bad week turn into giving up, As long as you get back on track

Last edited by love2b150 : 09-14-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #39

Well, we aren't very busy here on this thread are we. I hope it is because everyone is busy and not because we are all avoiding checking in because we aren't where we should or want to be. Regardless, we just can't give up.

I don't remember if I shared about the book The Big Breakfast Diet or not. It turned out that Amazon had it for less than $5 in paperback so I got it. I knew right away that I cannot eat all those carbs at one meal and especially not by 9 or 10 in the morning. However, many of you know I have done CAD/CALP before where you do eat your starchy carbs once a day at the RM. So I decided to take some of the good stuff from the 3 books, The Big Breakfast Diet, Stress Easting Diet and Carbohydrate Addict LifesPlan and make myself a Personalized way of eating. I read a book years ago written about successful dieters who had not only reached their goals, but maintained if for 3 or more years. It told how they were able to make the way they ate a lifestyle rather than just a diet. What they did was that many of them took the information they got from different diets that they liked and actually created their own diet or way of eating. So that is what they have done.

What I know about me. I cannot eat a lot of carby foods early in the day as it makes me groggy all day long and while I will use low fat sometimes, I really do not want to go FF on anything if I have a choice. However, I do believe that a good breakfast with a good amount of fat and protein is probably important. So I purchased a good Protein Powder supplement that has 20 g of protein. It isn't really high in carbs, fat or fiber, but it makes a nice shake with some fruit like berries. Have a couple of eggs and my "favorite" bacon and my coffee w/half and half, Stevia and a small amount coconut oil and I've got a very nice breakfast.

Since I want to control the insulin rush, I decided to keep the CAD/CALP rule of eating one carby meal that has to be eaten within 60 min. I usually have mine eaten within 45 min. The idea is that once you eat starchy carbs your surge of insulin last for 60 minutes and then if you keep eating you will get another surge. The second surge is what becomes fat because your body can't use it. Around 6 or 7 in the evening, I will have a salad and a stew or soup made with meat and low carb veggies. Last night I had a low carb beef stew. Tonight I will make a low carb chicken stew.

I am counting calories on MFP.com and I customized my goal settings to 1700 calories a day with a 30% fat 40% protein and 30% carbs and I will exercise on my stationery bike 20 minutes 5 days a week. I'm not eating my exercise calories earned. Will save those for those days when we go out to eat. I know my weight loss will probably be slow, however, I do believe it will become pretty steady. Another great thing about eating this way for me is that I won't have to walk around feeling so dragged out from eating so much starchy carbs in a day and I hope this 1 RM a day will do away with the guilt and junk we have when we slip... no need for cheating because nothing is off limits at that meal. It just has to be saved to be included into that meal which should be a balanced meal. If I've already had the RM meal when I want that food, I just have to wait until the next day and plan the next days meal with it included.

I'm not expecting a weight loss this week as this week has been mostly experimenting with lots of testing and tweaking as I have been learning how to do this in a way that I can live with it for the rest of my life because I know it has to be done without any guilt and all the junk "mind games etc" that goes on when I go on diet. I had to have a plan that will cover all the road blocks that I have run into all these years. I've lost weight and gotten close to goal many times in the past. But this time, I want to not only reach my goal, but I want to be able to stay there plus I want a plan that becomes such a lifestyle that it is done without even thinking about it because I'm tired of thinking about food all the time and I have no plan of counting calories etc for the rest of my life.

I plan to enjoy my weekend without spending all day thinking about food and what I should or shouldn't eat or what I'm going to eat. I feel like I've been set free of bondage to dieting.

Have a good weekend.

Trish

Old 09-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Trish for a good week

Ruth I hope you can do well with your daughter around. I know it's hard. That's my problem here with my family, carbs every where

Madeleine yay for sleep/rest good job on the 184

Bonnie you ARE and ALWAYS have been a trooper, so much on your place You have a heart of GOLD

I'm not doing well at all. I need to go to the doctor for sure but without insurance it's scary because we certainly don't need another bill. My fbs's are in the 200's. I want to put a plan in place for two full weeks to see if I can get it under control on my own. (two weeks should be a kick start, I pray) I know the key for me is planning and to stick to the plan. I weighed in at 189.6 this morning which is up from the beginning of the month but my norm for this month so far. Any goals that I have set for this month aren't gonna happen with the way things are going so like you Carol Sue I have to do something now to get better control!!

Well I hope you all have a great day and weekend
Rennie and Carol Sue When I was diagnosed with diabetes again about 4 yrs ago, I bought a book by a lady who had been diagnosed and learned to control her diabetes. Unlike me who has no one in my bloodline who is or has been diabetic, her mother had been and it ran in her family. She wanted to learn how not to go down the road of all the problems diabetics suffer.

She 1st shared all the stages that diabetics go through... the unbelief, the fear, the anger etc. But the one thing that stood out in my mind was the one statement she said in the book "You have to take control of your own diabetic plan and manage it yourself". I came to realize over the years of searching for how "I want to eat and manage this situation" is that it has to be "MY PLAN". My doctor knows my numbers on a piece of paper, but he doesn't KNOW ME or how I FEEL about anything. I've been blessed to have a wonderful doctor who works with me and he never fights me, scolds me or makes me feel like I'm a bad person. He is thin, but he is HUMAN just like me. He exercises and he tracks his calories. In fact, he is the one who told me about MyFitnessPal.com . He tells me he knows it is hard. He tells me that once in a while when traveling how he wants a hamburger and all that goes with it and says... "then you go to track the calories and you used ALL your calories for the day". He has a problem with wanting to eat ice cream everyday and said he told his wife one day as they were dipping out their ice cream "We are both doctors and we should know better than to even bring this stuff in the house". So he works with me. He and my oldest son are my BEST CHEERLEADERS as they tell me "yes it is hard, but you will figure it out and you will do it". You have no idea how that helps me keep going and looking and trying. And hopefully, this time I've found mine.

You will too. This is my new attitude about all this. If I am going to live (no matter how much longer), I want to live it to the fullest and the best I can be. And I don't want to lose any of my limbs or have to do dialysis or any of the other crappy things diabetic suffer, so I have to find a way to keep those things from happening. After all, it is my decision. At least, when I leave this world, I want my kids to know that their Mama never gave up and they didn't have to watch me go through all those bad things. It is up to us girls and WE CAN DO THIS.

Good luck finding your way.

Trish

Old 09-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #41
Madeleine

Scale still at 184, so didn't gain during this baby storm, which has continued, although I slept thru last night. Managed to stick to plan today and not bad last night.
Last night DH and I went to a buffet for supper. I was really disappointed. I thought there would be more and better veggie choices, the roast beef was dry, and the salad bar was not great. I did have a nice sugar free dessert.
Told DH to remind me of this disappointment next time I suggest we go there. Not worth it.
Today had a regional meeting, with all kinds of snacks, but stuck to sliced apples and nuts, no dried fruits or sweets.
So am happy with myself for sticking to plan, even with temptation.
Have a good Friday everyone, and hope we are heading into a lovely weekend.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #42

Fatmad No gain is a good thing. I know you are ready to go down further. I understand that 100% as that is where I have been as well. I've gained and lost the same 3 or 4 lbs for months and decided that it is time to get serious about what I'm doing. I've done well with getting all my numbers coming down, but I need to get the weight going down more as well.

We had the same experience at our only buffet in town now. We were so disappointed especially since their prices have always been higher than the one that we used to go to. The veggies had been left under heat too long causing them to be greasy and tasteless. The meat which they didn't offer as many choices as usual was not very good either. I had planned to have the roast beef and it was too dry as well. We haven't been back, but may try the one in Charlotte the next time we go to DH ortho doc and hope it is better. I think the problem is that the other buffet closed making this one the only one and they have no competition here any more. Now the prices are higher and the quality of the food is not as good. What a real shame.

Have a good weekend. Are you on call this weekend or will you get a break?

Trish

Old 09-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #43
Madeleine

Hi all, weight is sliding under 184 today, so I am getting there a little at a time.
I just lost most of my post, but am doing well.
Yes, Trish , I am on call this weekend, but have now had 2 nights in a row of sleep, even if I did wake up early today.

I am off call and on clinic duty next week, so will sleep every night! and exercise every day......

Old 09-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #44
love to be a lower weight

S/C/G: HW 220/SW 197.2/ticker/GW 132

Height: 5'3

Trish do you recall the name of the book from when you were first diagnosed? Do you still reference back to it? Sorry about your buffet experience. I love Golden Corral but thanks to having a big family we don't get to go there unless my Mom comes and decides to take us there. I tend to actually do pretty well there.

fatmad sorry about the restaurant not being what you wanted it to be. Great job at the meeting Glad next week will be better rest-wise for you

Good Morning Everyone

I had a good weigh in this morning 188.8 down .8 from yesterday and fbs was 205 (not great) but lower than it's been. I am drinking tea this morning because my husband I plan to have our first just us day in a very long time. We have a gift card for Olive Garden so we are planning to use that and trust me I don't plan to over do it because I know that too much pasta will make me feel miserable. If you all have any suggestions for there please share, thanks. There's also a $1.50 theater and since we haven't seen a movie together (in a theater) in about three years we're gonna do that. (on a budget here, can you tell? ) I'd like to take a nice walk before the movie but after Olive Garden not sure where to do it. I'll have to google some places before my hubby gets home from work, we've only been here a year. Well off I go ...

I hope you all have a great day
Take it 1 day, 1 sec, 1 min, 1 thought, 1 breath at a time. Learn from yesterday, don't think about tomorrow, just do the best you can today//I'm not where I want to be, but I am sure not where I used to be!//Don't let a bad meal turn into a bad day, a bad day turn into a bad week, a bad week turn into giving up, As long as you get back on track
Old 09-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #45

Rennie I haven't even at the book in a while, but the name of it is The 1st Year Type 2 Diabetes by Gretchen Becker. On front it says "A Patient-Expert Walks You Through Everything You Need to Learn and Do"
An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed. Might have to look through it again.

Went to bed really too late this morning and so I got up late. I wasn't hungry however, later around 11 am, I made the protein shake with less than 1/2 c strawberries and less than half of the banana DH eats for breakfast. I usually will eat half of the banana, but these were longer than the ones I usually get so I just wanted to be careful with the calories. Since I've never really been a breakfast eater, but see the importance for the diabetic, I just may plan to drink one of these everyday. Will see. I'm doing my plan using the Intuitive Eating rule of eat what I want not what I think I should eat and just eat enough to make me satisfied not stuffed or full.
I've only had around 800 calories today and just may stay around only 1200 calories today. WI is tomorrow. Hope it is going to come back down from today as it was up .4 lbs this morning. I would really love for it to at least be stable with ticker this week.

Trish

Last edited by pattygirl63 : 09-14-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: about weight
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.