Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #61  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi all, I am back on the island for one last week of holidays. I have my father here with me, so I can see how he is several days in a row. Haven't spent so much time with him since he stayed the week with me after his pneumonia in the spring. No major issues this time, although he is have a LOT of shortness of breath. I will go for a docs appt with him soon and see what we can do about that.
For my part, I really gained after the weekend. I should give up on the ticker.
Lets hope a week at the cottage means I will up my activity again and get on track.
have a good wednesday friends.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #62  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

OK! Today I will re-establish my ticker. Things are getting silly!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #63  
Madeleine

ok ruth, where is the ticker?
I am not doing anything with mine until back home.
I did do a 30 minute walk yesterday, and ate well. Lots of veggies.
But still too much food.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #64  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hi ladies well sorry I have been mia but I have been so busy. Well went and had my Mri done and Their is so much going on I need a medical degree to sort threw it all. Well for starters I have a baker cyst behind my knee and then I have three different sprains in my knee muscles plus I have osteoarthritis Plus a whole lot of other things going on that I need a medical degree to go threw it all and understand it. They want me to go to PT I will have to see how it does. Hopefully knee pain will be gone so I can get back into the swing of things. well off to make some calls and see if I can find a PT place to go get back with you all soon.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ruthie Come on and do South Beach with me. I don't like doing cal counts or carb counts and although I like eating fiber, I'm not regulating that right and there are some fiber carbs that I can't handle and I don't like this retaining fluid so much. Plus the weigh is edging back up. ugh So I have to change something that will help me continue my progress not go backward. So I've decided that SBD is the best way for me to go as I can get the right fiber carbs I need and not give up some things that I like. I turned 70 yrs old today and I'm tired of fighting this stuff. My health is good enough other than weight and diabetes right now and I figure I could still have years to go and I want it to be good a quality life as well. I'm already doing 20 to 25 minutes 5 days a week of exercise so for the 1st time in my life I'm doing this backwards for me. I usually start dieting and then struggle to add the exercise. Not this time. So come on girlie, lets do this together. WE CAN DO IT!!! Today is my day one. BTW Thanks for the info you put on 3fc SBD thread that made it so easy for me to print out.

Bonnie Boy you do have a lot on your plate, but hang in there. It takes some real work with the therapy and all but it can really help. Helped my DH and I watched what they taught him and even do the exercises myself most of the time before I get out of bed.

Mad Enjoy what is left of your holiday. Getting the exercise is good.

Carol Sue Hope you are doing fine.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #66  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Patty, I'm a MOD in the South Beach Forum and definitely am eating that way. It seems to be the best for my BGL and my doctors support it completely. Happy Birthday to you today! I guess when we hit our seventies, we can say we are mature? I'll be 75 in January.

Here you go, Mad! I did recreate the ticker yesterday and will let it show today. I did it just for what I want to lose right now.

Once again I was drinking my coffee before I remembered the darned bloodwork! Grrr! Part of me is afraid my HA1C will be out of the controlled range and part of em just hates the thought of being poked three or four times. I wish they would just put in a permanent faucet!

I grilled two lovely pork chops for dinner last night and seem to have lost the one I was planning to have tonight - a Chinese dish called twice fried pork. How can one lose a pork chop? Been through the fridge and freezer with no luck. Maybe we have ghosts.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #67  
Madeleine

Default too much adventure

well, I got more exercise than I planned yesterday, and am very sore today. Had to get up last night and take some tylenol, as the stiffness was keeping me from sleeping.
So yesterday the lake was like glass, unlike the day before where there was lots of wind and waves. So I took the kayak out. DH last words were to remind me to take the safety kit, which I did, along with the required life vest of course.
I went a little ways, had a by the dock visit with my Sister-in-law, then went on to the big bay. Once I was out of sight of anyone I knew, I stopped to adjust the foot pedal that kept moving out of place. I leaned to the side, and magically, the kayak tilted too much and dumped me out. So there I was in the lake! With no one around, I whistled when I go myself righted, but wasn't anywhere that folks could see/hear me.
All those years of childhood swim lessons kicked in. While I am not a great swimmer, a lot of the lessons were about safety and drown proofing etc. SO I got myself situated and started out on my back kicking and towing the kayak.
Took about 30 minutes to get to shore, then I had to right the kayak and empty it of all the water. (I had tried to get back in after the dump, but couldn't do it. )
Then I paddled back. The adrenaline made me nauseous, and I was exhausted. I didn't do much the rest of the day. TOday, I will be walking, then driving to Blind River to take Dad to see my aging aunt. I guess technically she is a cousin, but she was Mum's cousin so I always called her Auntie. Dad and she haven't seen each other in at least 5 years, so they are both really excited about it.
So thats my report for today. Hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Happy Birthday, Trish!

I am also amazed at Ruth's posting that she is 74. You ladies make me feel so guilty. I hope to be doing as well as you are when I reach my 70's. Here I am complaining about all my aches and pains, my inability to lose weight...(I could do it if I would just knuckle down!) all my illnesses. I really have to get on the stick. Ditch the bread, etc.

I do think Mad is younger than we are, so I guess I'm in the middle at 67. Whaddya say, Mad.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #69  

Ruthie I knew you used to MOD SBD thread but wasn't sure you still did until I went to check out the stickies there and read some. I knew that back when I did SBD a few yrs ago that you had posted the new info from the new book. I was so thankful that it is still there. I could have (and have in the past) made copies from the book, but the sticky made it sooo much easier. BTW I was very glad to see that even though you were seemingly having a difficult time posting here that you are still posting there. Good for you. You probably don't know or realize that back when I did SBD that you were my inspiration. I remember that you were just a tad older than me and I always hear about knew diets etc and my thought is always "Yeah, it works for younger women, but what about people around my age?" You really encouraged me back then. When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I found you here on the diabetic thread and I was thrilled to see that you showed me that low carb works. Now after I have gone all the different was of controlling diabetes, I am finding that just a small modifications "tweaking", SBD will work for me. Even with the struggles you are going through, helps me to realize that the struggles happen. You sticking with SBD because you know it works is why I must do the same. Thank you ever so much for being a wonderful friend and inspiration to me. I will eventually join in with the SBD thread when I feel comfortable to do so. Right now I will just be a lurker there and learn what I can from y'all. Keep doing what you need to do my friend and in the midst of the struggle. You are a strong lady and you will be back at least 90% of the time any way. I heard someone say (about exercising) "if your doing 90% don't worry about the 10%" and right now that is what I'm doing with the hopes that eventually my 90% will be closer and closer to 100%.

Got to run, but will be back later for more sharing.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #70  

Madeleine What a frightening experience. Thank God you were able to get back to shore and are okay. I would have been loads of trouble. But then I'm not much of a swimmer (haven't swam in years) so I would have been a goner. No wonder you were so sore all night long. Hope you have a wonderful visit with your Dad and cousin.

Carol Sue I haven't always handled this journey very well. Especially the diabetic part. I did fine for a while and then I got so angry with myself because I had it once before and reversed and didn't have it as long as I did all the right things and then I got it under control when diagnosed the second time, but I didn't learn anything about continuing doing what I was doing which caused me to become so mad at myself that I totally rebelled against my whole situation. I've dieted off and on for 50 yrs and I was tired of trying to find a way that I could stick with. Now I'm trying to use that anger in a positive way instead of letting it work against me. I've kind of learned to take a lot of the different things that I like about different ways to diet or whatever so I can get control that I can live with forever as a lifestyle.

I love paleo/primal way of eating. But to me it is a little more like Atkins and I have come to realize that I cannot make either of those a lifestyle for me because I don't want to cut out some of the foods that they require or suggest giving up. Example, when I realized the importance of putting fiber in any diet or way of eating for me. That does away with Paleo and Atkins for me. After trying work with the American Diabetic Diet to follow, I realized that some of the carby foods have fiber and some don't. And when trying to get enough fiber, I was holding on to too much sodium and swelling. Never sure where it comes from, but I don't retain fluid when I do low carb. As I looked at the foods on South Beach especially the Phase 2, I realized that I can eat low carb with it and keep some of the foods that Atkins and Paleo even Primal doesn't allow such as the legumes and my dairy products such as FF or 1% milk. Then I realized that I can live with South Beach as a Lifestyle. Plus I have the luxury of not having to count calorie, carbs or anything else. So I started out Day 1 yesterday on Phase 2 SBD not the Phase 1.

Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #71  
Madeleine

Yesterday I took Dad to see an elderly cousin of my mother's. She and Mum were quite close friends and visited a lot. But Dad hasn't seen her for 7 years. They live in Northern Ontario, about 2.5 hours from us on Manitoulin, but 9 hours from his place, so I drove him there. Had a lovely visit. BUt the supper, as usual, was great, and I overate again, and felt uncomfortable and unhappy all the way home. I am tired of feeling this way, tired of feeling like I can't stop myself from overeating, tired of hearing myself whine about it.
SO my question friends is this: what do you do to limit food in the evening?
SHould I try switching to having my big meal at lunch time? Should I carefully measure portions and not have food on the table? (I ask this because I have been serving "family style" with dishes on the table, hence the ease of having 2nds, and the temptation to "finish" something up)
I feel like if I jump up and leave the table as soon as I have eaten, that is rude to family and guests, and keeps us from having a sociable supper.
Ideas friends?
On the brighter side, I am being good about exercise, walked yesterday and will do again today.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #72  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Hubby and I measure out our portions. We went see the dietician who gave us our diet plan with the number of servings we can have in each food group, we divide that up to equal about 5 meals per day and we weigh and measure out the portions. God Bless. Tammy

After AT LEAST 3 years of gaining and losing the same weight I am at 250!!! This is major for me!! Now there seems to be hope!! Now on to 240!!
Old 08-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #73  
Madeleine

Tammy: I am thrilled for your loss, congrats.
I did better yesterday, oddly, at a buffet supper. it was a baby shower, and we were distracted after eating by the opening of gifts. So I wasn't disgusted with myself, and slept well and without guilt. Will be making meal plans when I get home Tuesday.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Trish - I commend you for realizing that certain diet plans just don't work for you and trying SB instead of throwing in the towel. I used to have the SB book but must have given it away as I can't find it now. I guess I could look at the thread and see what I think. Right now, I'm not doing so well. I just can't give up the carbs. I was having trouble with bread, now I'm craving baked potatoes! Neither of these foods are good choices for me. I lived low carb for so many years without a problem. I just don't know what the problem is now.

Tammy - Congrats on your weight loss. Sometimes it just takes something to make it all click! Keep up the good work.

Mad - Thank God you had the knowledge and stamina to get yourself to shore! That would have been the end for me!!

I am also tired of overeating, tired of feeling terrible and tired of hearing myself whine about it. Something's gotta give!

Bonnie - I am so glad you got a diagnosis for your knee. Now you know what it is and can have it taken care of. I hope you're feeling better soon. It sound like you have a lot on your plate....no pun intended! LOL

Ruth - Did you ever find the missing pork chop? If you are anything like me, you ate it so fast you don't remember! LOL
Old 08-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #75  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I am also tired of overeating, tired of feeling terrible and tired of hearing myself whine about it. Something's gotta give!
Carol Sue This is the point I got to when I started seriously looking at what I was doing and wondering and asking myself... If I really hate feeling this way as much as I say I do, then why wasn't I changing it? I knew what to do and what has worked in the past and I knew that I could completely reverse diabetes for me... SO WHAT IS MY PROBLEM!!! There is a scripture in the Bible (sorry can't remember where it is right now) that says to know what to do and not to do it is akin to one who commits suicide. It was a real EYE OPENER for me.

I knew that it had to be something that I could do for the rest of my life. It would have to be a little flexible for those times when "life happens" things so I could be a little off without feeling guilty which would cause me to fall into one of those "I've blown it today so why bother" and quit. By modifying SBD a little bit to include a flexibility for those times... I can live with this the rest of my life and never really see it as a diet, but as just the way I eat for the rest of my life. While I liked Intuitive Eating, I don't think I can do that without some kind of structure to what I'm doing. I'm a creature of habit. Actually the because of the way I ate as a child I was automatically thin. Nothing was really off limits to me. But I only ate at certain times everyday because of my routines throughout the day and I never really planned ahead because food wasn't really on my mind, but it was a routine. This has made me realize that I am a routine personality. I get up most mornings and do the same thing everyday. Dress, make coffee, make DH cauliflower to have ready for him to eat before he goes to bed that night, fix his fruit and our pills. Then if hungry, I eat breakfast after checking fbs, bp and logging the info. Main meal is around 2-3 and I throw in another meal later in the day for myself depending on hunger (now following SBD) and may have a snack in evening if needed. I honestly believe if I just get myself into a good routine again using SBD as my basic guide that the struggle will be over for me.

Share my struggle because hopefully as I walk through this, I hope it will help someone else... especially younger people so they don't have to struggle like I have for 50 yrs. There are loads of info out there of what to do and what not to do and it gets REALLY CONFUSING. It's okay to know those things, but it comes down to taking that info and even if you have to take a basic plan to create one of your own AND MAKING IT YOU OWN IS THE KEY, YOU CAN MAKE IT WORK FOR YOU. Wish I could take credit for my new ideas and thoughts, but actually, I learned from a few people on a low carb site that has proven that is how they did it and have lost their weight. One lady I'm reading about right now has done this with SBD and kept her weight off for 9 yrs and she still eats the same way she did to lose her weight. Never changed it once she made goal. Can't think of it as a diet that you reach goal and can eat what you want again. Hope this helps you and others as it has me.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 08-25-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Closed Thread