3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   June Thread (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/282774-june-thread.html)

Ruthxxx 06-02-2013 07:56 AM

June Thread

Good morning. Reality has struck. I had a toothache last week and HAD to go to the Clinic for some pain killers and an anti-biotic as my dentist was closed. My darling Dr Jack reminded me that I was overdue for bloodwork. BP was running a tad high for me too. He knows I'm not taking my meds regularly, I think.

So, I am planning to spend the day setting up my dosettes and planning proper meals. A grab-and-go sandwich is no lon ger on my lunch menu. I need to just get with it and boot my own butt!

New month and new resolve! Let's go.

Weight this morning was 192.4 and FBGL was 6.2 - much improvement needed in all!

fatmad 06-02-2013 09:14 AM

Hi gang: had an allnighter into June 1st, but normal sleep last night, and feeling good today, when I woke up yesterday afternoon, I learned we were hosting the neighbours for supper. This was casual, so it was ok. My Dad really enjoys them, he was really animated and enjoyed talking last night, (maybe it was the wine, or my very attractive neighbour speaking to him in french :o) so he had a good time. He is talking about going home Wednesday or Thursday. He seems happy here, very relaxed, and is walking lots to get back in shape. DH is enjoying having company to watch baseball and the hockey playoffs are on, so they are getting along well.
I have managed to keep the weight to ticker, inspite of the stress of recent events, and hope I can get it down more. I will admit, that exercise is the first thing to go on my agenda, and thats not good. EVen the physio exercises for my shoulder are not getting done regularly, so I have to change that.
However, I have to get the flowers into the garden beds, and have been busy with work or too tired to care.
The weather has been rainy so not conducive to outdoor activities either.
Carol Sue, my DH and Dad didn't realize the zucchini lasagna had no noodles, so just don't tell him! Make a small one and see how it goes?
We are having left overs today, will try not to pig out.
:p

Wannabehealthy 06-02-2013 01:48 PM

Mad, I'm glad to hear you're still on track with your ticker. It's hard to keep exercise on priority when you're so busy.

When I'm cooking, DH is right in there watching me, not missing a trick. He will stir things, check the oven, etc. There's no chance of him not knowing it's zucchini instead of noodles. LOL The exception was one time when I was making lasagne and I didn't have enough ricotta cheese so I added some cottage cheese, which he hates. He didn't see me do it, and didn't notice a thing. I never told him though, he would never trust my cooking again.

pattygirl63 06-03-2013 09:47 PM

Really busy lately. DH cousin he hasn't seen in 23 yrs came to see us Friday and I just love her and her DH. We had a great time with them. We have so much in common. They live 3 hrs away from us and hopefully we will get to see them more ofte.

DH is having physical therapy. We got over his neck surgery and would have been released, but now he is having back problems. So he is doing therapy hoping we won't have to face back surgery. Even with all that I feel as I have my Hubby back as we are enjoying our life together now that he isn't in the pain he had for so long.

Things are going slow with the weight loss, but it is slowly coming down. I really am glad I got the digital scale. CAD/CALP has you weigh daily and then average weight loss for the week which I'm thankful for as well. I managed a 0.7 lb weight loss this week. Small, but I will gladly take it. I'm very pleased to say that my FBS is finally back under 150 mg/dl. So things are going well here.

We aren't real busy here lately. I hope that means we are all doing well and enjoying our lives with friends and family.

fatmad 06-04-2013 09:19 PM

fbs 5.2 this am, and weight the same. Got out walking twice today. Took Dad to the trail with the dog. Dad can't go far, so the dog and I went ahead of him for a bit. later took the dog to the cemetery for a walk again.
Not a busy day. I have to say I am still waking up tired. Having the sleep study didn't change anything. I am still fighting sleep half the day. Perhaps with more exercise that will get better.
Will get some more blood work done sometime soon to make sure its not thyroid. (unfortunately, it never is....)
Carol Sue, if DH is watching you cook, is he doing some of the cooking as well? Seems only fair.....:)
Trish, so glad DH is in less pain. Hard not to be grumpy when you are in pain all the time. You can enjoy life and life together so much more now.
My father is planning to leave in a couple of days, and I am ready for that. Fish and visitors shouldn't be kept too long, and while I love him, since he doesn't actually need care or anything, he is more of a guest. I would say he is almost back to normal for him. However, my DH said the nicest thing.
We were watching a tv show, where a father and son had an argument, and the words. "you only get one dad" were said, DH says, more than one, and said my Dad is his other dad. Brought a tear to my eye.
No wonder I love this man. My 2 fav guys, here with me, watching hockey, doesn't get much better.

Ruthxxx 06-05-2013 08:16 AM

Right Mad, fish and company stink after three days. That's not always true when it's family though. So glad you were able to help your Dad though. Dads are precious.

Carol Sue, my dear departed DH was a whiz in the kitchen himself and would always stand and watch me when I cooked. He learned not to make suggestions but would have been horrified at zucchini lasagna.

Good drop in the FBGL, Patty, and the slow and steady weightloss. Sure hope there is a non-surgical fix for your DH's back problem.

Not eating pure low carb these days. I have been having quinoa for breakfast and the odd slice of bread - comfort foods because of my toothache. At ten this morning I see my dentist who will probably refer me to an oral surgeon for a root canal. I am very lucky to still have all my teeth at my age so am hoping it'll be a root canal instead of an extraction. It'll feel good to at least get onto the path to a solution. I do not handle pain well and Aleve just doesn't cut it.

I have been taking my meds and weight is down a bit - 191.2 and FBGL of 5.1 today.

Nimblegranny 06-05-2013 12:12 PM

Hi everyone, glad to find diabetes support thread. My FBS was 179 this morning. I usually take it three times a day, but may start bringing it to work so I can monitor daily too. When I get home it's normal, at bedtime it's usually normal. But still running high fasting after 4 weeks of low-carb on Wonderslim and a 16 lb. weight loss. I thought it would come down faster than this. I take Metformin twice a day and another med too, really want to be normal without the meds. How long, realistically, for this to happen?

fatmad 06-05-2013 06:49 PM

Hi everyone: weight steady, not up, and fbs 5.2 again. However, some nut brought in a frozen bin of sweet squares, (date squares, nanaimo bars etc) and thats crazy to have them there. Will have to be strong, but didn't manage well today.
Granny, when are you taking the metformin, and is it a generic brand? You may need a time release form, and still have it at bedtime with a small snack, like yogurt that gives you a few carbs. Even when you don't eat carbs, your body will convert energy into glucose in your liver, no matter what. Its the dumping process and your body's response to it that keeps the fasting higher than you want. How high is high?
Have you checked your meter against these numbers? on my meter what I get as 5.5 has been 4.2 when lab tested at the same time.
SO when you go for lab testing, take your meter and test at the same time. You may be lower than you think. Our meters are not the most accurate way of testing, just cheaper and portable and easier. DOn't get too hung up on it.
Keep losing weight, exercising and eating well and in the long run it will be good.

on another note. DD made spaghetti for supper, and bought and cooked spaghetti squash for me. I feel like she is really working to help me and I just love her for it.
Have a good evening chickies.

Wannabehealthy 06-05-2013 08:22 PM

Granny, I have always had trouble with FBG. Nothing I do changes it.

Mad - DH does a lot of the cooking. It's about 50/50. The difference is I don't watch him. I am just glad that I don't have to do it. LOL He does simple dishes and would never attempt something like lasagne. He wants something he can just throw in a pan and cook.

Ruth - I think the next time I make lasagne I will make part of it with zucchini or eggplant. I make 3 rows, each with 3 servings. I will make 2 rows with noodles and 1 row with the veggies. That way I can have what I like and he can try it if he wants to. My step-daughter and husband live close by, so she takes all my leftovers. It's hard to cook for just 2.

fatmad 06-05-2013 09:29 PM

I hear you Carol Sue, its hard to cook for one or two. It took a while for us to adjust to 2 when DD left home, and after this summer of her being around, we will have to adjust again. But 2 is easier than one.

I wanted to share a low carb recipe I use, I used it on the weekend when the neighbours came for supper. Its great for strawberry short cake, (strawberries and other berries being a fruit we can have for a treat) and for trifle (we love it at Christmas) or any other time you want a sponge type cake.

use 6 eggs, seperated.
in another bowl, mix 1.5 cups of ground nuts. (hazel nuts or almond meal best)
with 1.5 cups splenda, a tsp of baking powder. mix the dry ingredients together. (now a choice, I recently added 2 tsp of cinnamon to the dry ingredients, and often 2 tsp of vanilla to the egg yokes, or strong coffee if you like, even brandy flavouring is nice. )
Next whip the egg yokes until light and lemony, and add the dry ingredients.
The egg whites need to be whipped until they are in stiff peaks, then folded into the yolk mixture.
This is poured into 2 or 3 round cake tins, well greased. bake at 325 for about 15-25 minutes, you don't want them too dry or brown.
turn upside down to cool, and remove from pans with a bendy spatula when its not hot anymore.
These cakes freeze and refridgerate well.
You can also make an elegant layered cake.
I served it with strawberrys and whipped cream on Saturday, and it was a great hit.
Looking forward to more Strawberry shortcake weather.

Ruthxxx 06-06-2013 08:04 AM

Good morning and :welcome: to NimbleGranny. A good start to the day with weight and FBGL the same. Yesterday was a little carby.

Lucky me! The dentist did x-rays and lots of snooping in my mouth and says the teeth are just fine. There just seems to be something going on in the gum which the anti-biotics should clear up. Sure hope he's right. :crossed:

Shopped for veggie and flower plants yesterday but can't put them in today because it's raining. :( I don't mind working in the rain but my clay soil packs down when walked on. (It also builds up on my boots until I'm at least an inch taller.) The poor darlings will have to stay in their flats until Sunday when the rain ends.

Donna comes to clean today so I need to scurry around and tidy things. That sounds silly but she doesn't know where I put things. Luckily she usually doesn't show until around ten so I have some leeway.

HAPPY THURSDAY!

Nimblegranny 06-06-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmad (Post 4764082)
Granny, when are you taking the metformin, and is it a generic brand? You may need a time release form, and still have it at bedtime with a small snack, like yogurt that gives you a few carbs. Even when you don't eat carbs, your body will convert energy into glucose in your liver, no matter what. Its the dumping process and your body's response to it that keeps the fasting higher than you want. How high is high?

DOn't get too hung up on it.

Keep losing weight, exercising and eating well and in the long run it will be good.

Good advice, fatmad. I will keep on keeping on. My FBS this morning was 171. It's not generic, and it's 1000 twice a day. Plus Glyburide. So it seems I should be normal by now after a month of low-carb and all these meds!:dizzy:

Thanks for the welcome, Ruth! :D

Butterfly50 06-07-2013 10:39 PM

Hi ladies sorry been MIA but I am here to vent!!

So My aunts daughter had foot surgery and she has been spending every waking minutes taking care of her daughter and granddaughter Even thought her boy friend quit his job to take care of them now here it is 5 days before her surgery and my aunt keeps making comets like boy am I glad I got you and Bubba( My Husband) cause Marcia ( her daughter) isn't gonna be able to spent much time with her when she gets out of the hospital. Well this has been rubbing me the wrong way all week. They are expecting for me to do all the care taking when she gets home I guess her daughter is jest gonna go do what she wants and when she wants to do it. I am jest so tired of not being able to do for me.

I am very upset at the fact my monthly income has dropped and now I have a lot less to buy grocery money. So now what do I do I would love to get a job but who is gonna hire someone like me ? Then I will loose my insurance I am taking 5 pills in the Am and 2 at night I cant afford to do that either.

I walked out side the other day and fell and scraped up my bad knee and I keep getting the smart comets from the hubby. I don't even feel comfortable to workout with him around. Believe me I am so upset right now I am so close to tears its not funny. I am so tired I jest want to crawl in bed and cry myself to sleep!!

fatmad 06-08-2013 06:16 AM

BOnnie: I don't even know what to say. I am sorry this is falling on you this way.
I hope you are able to stand up to these comments when they come, and tell people they need to appreciate you and all you do.
None of us is perfect. Making cruel and thoughtless comments just isn't right.
WHen someone says something stinging to me, I ask if they would say that to their mother. It shames them right away.

Wannabehealthy 06-09-2013 06:13 PM

Bonnie, I too am sorry to hear you are having so many troubles. People are talking advantage of you, for sure and it's hard to stand up to them. You are a good person, always taking care of other people. Please don't stop caring for yourself, too. This is important for you. Finding a job is not the answer as you have so much to do at home. I do hope things improve.

I was really sick last night. I am not sure what made me sick. I cooked some kale with onions for lunch around noon, then around 5 PM I had fried fish from a local restaurant. It tasted fine. My husband went out to a car cruise and I was lying in bed watching TV. When he came home around 9 PM I got up to see how things went at the car cruise. After several minutes I felt my stomach start to churn. I went into the bathroom and threw up 4 times. All I could see was the pieces of kale, and I would have thought that it would have been totally digested 9 hours later. Well, I don't know which item made me sick, but I threw away the rest of the kale and it will be a long time before I order that fish again. I have ordered it many times in the past and it was good. When I went back to bed, I was afraid to take my bedtime blood pressure pills or metformin because I didn't know if I was finished throwing up. I woke up around midnight and felt OK so I took my meds. I am a little queasy today and don't really have an appetite. Maybe this will help me lose a few pounds. LOL Look on the bright side!

I hope everyone else is doing well.