3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   February Chat (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/274786-february-chat.html)

fatmad 02-01-2013 09:51 AM

February Chat

Well, I can start!

Sorry to be MIA, I have found that going back to work after being off for a while has been quite a challenge. Have not been on call this week, but the clinic was extra busy, and I have a new student and a new job share partner, so things have been a bit hectic. Not eating right either, and had a binge one night I must confess. (carbs beget carbs as always for me.) Don't have the results of my recent blood work yet, because the weather has been bad and the lab hasn't brought the results in yet. (they drop results off when the do pick-ups at the office)
I am more convinced than ever that I had mono or some other sleepy making virus in December, even with exercise I am very tired still.

FYI, recent New England Journal of medicine debunked some diet myths this week. One of them talked about breakfast.... how it isn't necessary, but DID reinforce that total calorie intake was important. SO for those who are not big breakfast people, in itself its not an issue, but making sure you have planned calorie intake for the day, (instead of unplanned binges when you do get hungry) is just as reasonable as any other diet plan.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Ruthxxx 02-01-2013 05:50 PM

Thanks for cranking us up, Mad. I closed the January Thread but forgot to start a new one. I think I was in shock after not losing one darned ounce in January. However, i did lose the wee bit I put on in Cuba.

Of course, having a little bit of a late afternoon Velveeta cheese and saltines yesterday did not help. I was really expecting to be below 190 this morning. Silly me!

Sounds to me as if you did have mono because it sure dragged on a lot. Are you OK now? Good news about the breakfast news. I must confess, when my BGL is good, I sometimes have just coffee in the morning before I go to the gym. My trainer freaked the first time I said that so now I just say nothing.

Hmmm - Groundhog Day tomorrow. Say Hi to Wiarton Willie if you see him.

pattygirl63 02-01-2013 07:30 PM

Just typed a whole post and lost it. So I'll try again and say hello. Missed everyone because thunderstorm that passed through here Wednesday night knocked out power for 6 hrs and when we got up yesterday we were without enternet until this afternoon when the provider had to come out and replace something on the box.

Madeleine I recently heard about the new findings about breakfast. Never ate breakfast when I was "naturally" thin. Never had a weight problem until I started eating it because everyone said that it was so important. Now it is a habit that I have a hard time breaking however I have to say that my fbs is better and I feel better when I don't eat it. Sure hope you are able to get your strength back soon.

Ruthie I think you did a great job of eating on your trip or you would have gained more. I figured that your small gain woud come off quickly. It was probably water gain.

Bonnie I'm so glad the principal had enough sense to do something about the boy bullying your daughter. Sorry about the problems in your home with your aunt. I was afraid things would not be too wonderful. After our experience with DH kids living with us, that it isn't that their ways are bad or wrong or that ours are... it is just that people have different lifestyles and ways of doing things. Then when we try to combine our lifestyles with theirs, it just doesn't work unless someone is willing to change and that seldom happens. Hope things get better for y'all.

Slmn and others :wave:

Have a good evening.

Ruthxxx 02-02-2013 07:32 AM

Good morning. No groundhog will see his shadow today around here as we are cloudy and snowy. It doesn't really matter as we will have at least another six weeks of winter anyhow.

Did OK on food yesterday with a huge arugula/spinach/HB egg salad for lunch and Taco Bake from the stash for dinner. Today may be more difficult as I am cooking prime rib for a gentleman friend tonight and will have to be careful to eat mindfully. (I've not had prime rib for over a year although it was a Sunday staple in my parents' house.)

Weight is down a smidge but still not out of the 190's. More treadmill is on the agenda today with a minimal breakfast and salad for lunch!

Enjoy your weekend.

fatmad 02-02-2013 10:17 AM

Ruth: you should be fine if you do mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes, and roast some nice veggies, like parsnip, carrots and yellow beets in another dish. Avoid making yorkshire pudding and you will do well. A good supper like that will be great, and do awesome leftovers for you for the week. Enjoy, and have a nice visit with your friend!

DH and I had a nice heart to heart this am, and I am going out to ski around the yard while he shovels the snow, so I don't get stuck here on the couch since I got on the computer to check in. We will host a few people for superbowl/antisuperbowl games night and I have some salads planned, no pizza, just low carb will be served! And guests are bringing their own beer etc so we won't be tempted to drink. Whoot Whoot

Ruthxxx 02-02-2013 10:30 AM

Definitely will roast some Brussels and cauliflower and do oven roasted potatoes. My guest is my pal Dr Bob the endo and he will praise me for not having taters. I never really like Yorkshire but will do it for him. Apple crisp made with agave syrup is dessert, probably topped with yogurt and walnuts.

Awesome leftovers, indeed! - and two nice bones for the doggage! (I'll probably make a Shepherd's pie with cauliflower mashed.)

immaculate 02-02-2013 02:40 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and to diabetes. I was diagnosed with PCOS on January 8, Type 2 Diabetes on January 21, and started Metformin on January 28.

I've really been making an effort to get healthy. I started limiting portions on January 15 and began counting calories January 21. I've gone from 240 pounds to 233 pounds already and my fasting blood sugar has gone from 267 at diagnosis to 134 this morning.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Ruthxxx 02-03-2013 01:16 PM

:welcome: Immaculate! Good results in such a short time! I'm sure you are pleased.

Well the dinner last night did not do too much damage. I'm hoping to see 189.999999999 tomorrow morning! I just had a very small sandwich on multi-grain bread with about 2 ounces of wonderful roast beef. Not sure what dinner will be but I'm leaning towards pea soup from the stash. This cold weather is making me want soup! I just hope it's not too carby and salty to affect my weight tomorrow.

This week I will get back into the habit of testing my FBGL - been letting that slip since getting back from Cuba.

I see several new folks posting in this part of the Forum. Please join us in the Daily to let us know how you are doing.

fatmad 02-03-2013 01:41 PM

Hi all: had an all-nighter yesterday, and just woke up. I had to eat some off plan stuff, as this was unplanned, went to be with a high risk client who went into labour early. We all thought it would be quick, but not. They have a healthy little boy now though, so all worth it.
Making food for the anti-superbowl party, will be atkins style, lots of salads and some chili and wings, no bread or crackers for me though!
Hope you all have a good Sunday, with or without football.

pattygirl63 02-03-2013 03:22 PM

A quick flyby. DH goes for preliminary stuff at hospital tomorrow afternoon for the neck surgery he will have in 2 weeks. I will be glad when he feels good again.

Ruthie I'm also getting back into a routine with my eating. I will keep my calories within a certain amount althought I'm not really counting anything, just kind of know what and how much to eat so I don't overeat so I can start losing again and get this bs where it needs to be.

:welcome3: immaculate and other newbies. Look forward to getting to know you.

Mad Thanks for the heads up on the TENS machine. I've been using it as well as neck stretcher and back massage and it is really helping my neck and back. DGS has a horseshoe shape neck pillow that he left here and I've been using it to support my neck when I sleep and it plus using the TENS etc, the neck pain is beginning to let up. I guess we just didn't get that stuff in time for DH, but thanks to your help and the advice I'm following that the doc who goes to my church told me to do for Tony that I'm using persoally, I won't need neck surgery or a pain management doctor.

Guess, I better get busy or this won't be a flyby. :dizzy:

:wave: To Bonnie, SLMN and everyone else.

Have a great Sunday.

Wannabehealthy 02-03-2013 05:56 PM

Mad, I never had Mono, but a co-worker did, and he was freezing cold, all bundled up, but sweat was pouring off him. I think if you had Mono you would have had some very distinct symptoms. I did have pneumonia, though. I had a slightly elevated temp (99) and was very very tired, napping off and on throughout the day. I only sought medical attention because it went on for so long, otherwise I would not have known I was sick. Wonder if that's what you have.

As for breakfast, sometimes I want breakfast and sometimes not. Usually, I have brunch, combining breakfast and lunch around 11=11:30. We usually eat dinner around 4, so I do have something later in the evening. I am eating 3 times per day, just not at the normal times. I lose weight better when I do the brunch.

Ruthie - I think the reason your trainer gets upset is because the effect exercising can have on your blood sugar. As long as you're checking it I think you have a handle on the issue.

Ruthxxx 02-04-2013 06:42 AM

Good morning. Dropped down to 188.8 this morning. Let's hope the trend continues. FBGL is a good solid 5.8. Since I dropped the evening Glyburide and switched to the new morning stuff, I've not been getting those scary lows.

Off to the gym shortly after a smoothie with almond milk, papaya and ground flax and Salba. I may throw in an egg for extra protein. I have my quilting meeting this morning but am planning to be home for lunch - maybe tuna salad on the rest of the arugula? On the other hand soup is appealing since I am always cold these days. Shepherds pies with cauliflower taters in on the plan for tonight.

Do something nice for yourself today. I am slathering my poor dry legs with cream.

fatmad 02-04-2013 09:56 AM

Hi all: a bit tired and stiff still after odd sleeping times the last couple of days, but mostly rested and caught up now. Planning yoga today, and clean eating. Yogurt and pineapple for breakfast today, yum. The anti-superbowl gathering went well, and I have yummy leftovers for a few days.

Trish: so glad the TENS machine is working nicely for you. Perhaps DH will find it helpful in the recovery phase after surgery. Sure hope it all goes well.

welcome Immaculate. Glad to have you share your experiences here too.

Ruth, have a good day at the gym, stay safe with driving in the icy conditions.

Happy Monday friends, I am off to work.

Butterfly50 02-04-2013 04:41 PM

So my life right is going in the toliet. I have been off plan last week and I am gonna tell you stress Stress stress I am sooooo tired of it I have to have something done I am gonna go crazy. So my aunt decided to go pick a fight with my 18 year old and her boy friend she told him that he was a bad boyfriend all because he dont take her out 24/7 and he like to hunt. so we have a big blow out here and the stress is still in the air . My daughters boy friend left didnt speak to her for a few days then he has started picking her up and leaving and not cumming in the yard or the house says he was hurt by the things she said and he isnt ready to play nice.

Well I be back later have to run.

Butterfly50 02-05-2013 02:37 PM

So I had to run to the pharmacy to get hubbys meds and now It is tuesday and I am gonna tell you the fire works went off. Well my aunt has been arguing with my daughter and her boyfriend she bought over some of his clothes here and my daughter washed them and when she was done my aunt came in here and told me that he could no longer wash his clothes here cause he wont accept her apology for all the nasty things she said to him. Went went into a whirl wind with me and I gave it back to her so she basically said we should find a new place to move so We are going to do that. I can't take much more of this crap from her here My kids are miserable here she was running around the house last week and keep telling everyone she wasnt running a whore house here to me she was basically calling my children a whore. I am so sorry if she can't afford her bills but she will be on her own and she will have to take care of her grandchild by her self. Lets see how far they make it I am sick of it the picking on my kids are over and its not gonna happen Hubby is out talking to some friends of his to see if he has anything open and it will be 2 hours away from her.....

Sorry but I am jest so pissed right now it is not funny so I am sorry that I vented and you guys had to be the one to hear it she wont listen to nothing I say...

Here it is hours later and Hubby is going to have a talk with her if she wants us to move he said we will but he said he is gonna have a good talking to her.