Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #31  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Pray for me darlings! After Church this morning I am off to a cooking class - traditional Roman cooking. What a dumb thing to sign up for this close to Christmas!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #32  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi everyone, feeling better. Really gonna pay for this cold. All the comfort foods added on some weight. fbs 5.3 this am, 36 hours since the last cold pill. I didn't take anything yesterday, figuring if I couldn't get through the day without meds, I wasn't ready to work. Will do a short day and come home after lunch.
Thanks to all of you for the get better wishes.

LOL, I realized my baking powder was getting old, so bought some fresh yesterday. (Its a special brand, corn and gluten and aluminum free) This morning, made my "muffin-in-a-minute" and wow, did it rise! It is much fluffier than I am used to. Had to cut it across into 4 rounds to fit into the toaster!

Am also realizing that my unwillingness to be a planner for meals is a big part of my problem. I think I have had the revelation before, and acted on it for a while, but lost the momentum. SO back to that for the next couple of weeks. I downloaded some low carb menus to use for a while, and see if that helps me stick to plan.

Ruth, HOpe you made it through the class! Sounds yummy.
Trish: nice words from DGS, as he realizes that its best for his parents to leave, but likes it with you enough to come back. Does DD have a job anywhere yet?

Liz: what does DH do that he is away a lot and then home for a week? Or is it a week off?

my DH is home after helping my sister and Dad with the move, and we now have to deal with all that came home with him. Some things that can't be given up yet. Some I wanted, some not. Aw well, thats life.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #33  
Come on Spring!

Good morning. Mad, I'm so glad you are starting to feel better. Take care of yourself - it's a germy time of year.

Trish, so nice that your DD graduated with honours. You and DH can certainly claim some of the credit. Florida in January sounds nice - for them and for you.

Liz, so glad you and DH had the weekend together. I hope you managed to feel better - time together is very precious.

All I can say about the cooking class is "burrrrp" - way too much olive oil. It was a hands on class which I prefer and we made way too much food. Was still full at 6 last night from "lunch". Of course, that didn't stop me from munching away at some cashew brittle. My appestat is not working lately!

We had a dump of snow, then freezing rain and now just rain - sort of a miserable day. I've been to the gym and for coffee with Donna and was going to take off in my car for some errands. However, I think I'll scrap that idea in favour of wrapping and maybe some cooking. Tomorrow will do for the running around when the roads are less slick. I also need to be here for a propane delivery - my "wood" stove in the back room needs it to keep that part of the house cozy.

Happy Monday, chickies!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 AM   #34  
Madeleine

On low-carb plan yesterday, and down over a pound now, so expect some water weight there. However, fbs was 6.4 today! ? Talk about dumping glucose! I DID take my metformin as usual yesterday, am/pm. My pc sugars yesterday were all on the low side, in the low 5's .
Did a half day of work yesterday and put the rest over to today, and was glad, was pretty achey by evening, even with resting. slept well last night though and feel fine again the morning, using the hand sanitizer at all visits, and no cough or runny nose.
Ruth, stay in if its slippery out, avoid falls and injuries, they are no fun at holiday time. I would appreciate just plain snow and have it stay cold, but no sign of that in sight. But still hoping for a white Christmas.
Stay well everyone, look forward to hearing updates.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick flyby here. Been busy this week. I got up and went to church without DH Sunday. It was good to see some old friends. Then did lunch with my beautician. We went to Cracker Barrel and decided we wanted pancakes, but then by the time the waitress brought our coffee, we decided that we would eat their new chef salad instead. So we did good.

Went Christmas shopping yesterday and today and except for what we are getting DD and DSIL, I'm finished. DGS said his DM and family are moving back to FL in January. I'm trying to make things as pleasant as possible. I told the 2 DGD that I was not going to be the disciplinarian any more... their DM and her hubby are home now and they are in charge of them now. So we ae enjoying being grandparents now.

Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #36  
Come on Spring!

Hanging in there although I did nibble some Cranberry Crunch I made yesterday. (Nibble is not quite true! but the scale forgave me this morning.) Today should be an OK day as it's now all packaged up for gifting.

I have a little time before I need to leave for the gym and am going to cut up some veggies for snacking just in case I decide to open up a package of Cranberry Crunch. I have a great stash of soups on hand and will make sure to have that for lunch instead of nibbling.

In all this pre-holiday hustle and bustle, we need to take care of us.

Happy 12/12/12 - that won't happen again for a while!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #37  
Madeleine

quick hello, still doing well in the mornings, tired and achey after a few hours, will see how that goes when I have to go to a delivery! So far the short days have been fine. bs this am was better, 5.2 and have decided to change my dosing with the metformin since the fasting is being affected. Will take it with supper and again at bedtime, to see if that helps. Some generic brands may not release slowly enough. Will make sure doc changes prescription to extended release next time, but that is a couple of months away. Will have to start checking sugars after breakfast and lunch to make sure I am not having problems there with the switch.
soup and cheese for supper tonight, DH is going away overnight. Quiet night just me and the dog.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #38  

Height: 161cm

Hi I am extremely new to this forum. I just had a quick question that's been keeping me up all night. I tested my fasting sugar today because my mom was doing it for my sister and it read 83. Directly after dinner and I had cornflakes, I tested it it was 240. An hour after it was 220. I ran out of needles so I didn't test it again. I'm around 218 pounds. I'm too afraid to go and see a doctor. Should I be concerned?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #39  
Come on Spring!

83 is a good normal range for fasting. However, the after eating readings are not normal. Yes, please do go and see a doctor so this can be nipped in the bud. I think you would be right to be concerned. Please come back and let us know how things are going.

By the way, you cannot have a signature in your profile until you have been here 20 days and have 20 posts. Sorry but the time will go quickly.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #40  

Height: 161cm

Thanks Ruth. I will for sure.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #41  

doing well..hurting a lot from the exercise..mainly at night cause i am lying still in bed...sigh one of the side effects of shermans and arthritis..once i get going i am okay cept the occasional numbness in my legs..feeling great...tried out turkey burgers and love them..had them for lunch
today with a heap of veges..low carb suits me...going out to a funeral this afternoon..very sad...geez i get mad at cancer..it well and truly sucks..had a great day with hubby..saw my dad too!!..been loving the pool exercises but boy am i tired of a late afternoon...might be a little naughty at the wake if we
have one then again i might not..lol...lol..lol..hmmm i am confused about how the readings differ soo much from australia..i am talking about the blood sugar readings..we have a 1 to whatever reading..normal is below 6 i think..i could be wrong..but mine is on average over a 3 month period no more than 7 which the doctor is happy about..i think a direct result of watching sugar and carb in takes..oh and it is normal for me to be 8 or 9 in the mornings first thing...so what does 83 or even 240 mean??..or should i bother asking??...oh also i have been looking for a shake to use when i have no time to prepare meals etc or are toooo plain lazy...i found one but heck most of them are sooooo high in sugar and carbs i would not even go there...i am using natures way vanilla protein powder it is yummy and low in carbs and sugar and fat!!..Whooooooooot..i add some chia seeds in there too and sometimes a banana but not often...healthy eating everyone and continued wellness...cheers liz
Old 12-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A flyby this morning. FBS is rather high this morning even for me but then remembered that it usually is when I take Generic Clairiton D for sinuses. Tried it without the D like doc recommended but like taking nothing for me. I just don't take it very often. DGS left last night for NYC to work with clean up of Sandy storm and will return Wednesday I think. Everyone was gone when I got up this morning. Therapist came and I had to tell her they weren't here and I didn't know where they were. So I guess they treat everyone the way they treat us. Got my Christmas shopping done. Have some I have to mail tomorrow. Told my DD in Arkansas that she was getting a box for their Christmas and not to open the presents until Christmas Eve. She 44 yrs old and still can't wait to open them. Bet she doesn't wait. LOL

Well DH has a PT and Hemoglobin blood test today so we will go out if he feels like it. He says he wants to get the oil changed in the car and go to Staples to get printer ink. Not sure that he will feel up to it as he is still hurting from the pinched nerve. I may call and see if he can see another doctor in the same place. He got the paper work with pics of doctors and there are lots of others... maybe another one can take him who is just as good.

Have a great day.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #43  
Madeleine

HI all: Have been sticking to plan and the weight I put on while sick is going off, back to ticker now. Worked through the night for a special delivery: I help this woman be born 30 years ago, and this morning helped her deliver a son of her own. Very nice circle of care for me to be part of. LIttle Henry is cute!

Will start checking the fbs again in a week with the new timing regimen for the metformin, let things adjust for a bit to see if there are problems.

LIz: the American units are not metric like ours, there is a formula, (I think we multiply ours by 17 or 18 to get their numbers) but the A1C is the same. Also, in different countries, the standards of normal are a little different so what we find acceptable my not be by the diabetic association elsewhere. Just some of the little differences from place to place. I am relatively bilingual with the units now, reading postings regularly gives perspective. Hence Ruth can see that Viv85's reading of 220 after a meal is high, above usual.

Got outside for short walks in the sun the last two days, finally really getting well, having a bit more energy and able to move. Hope to get back to some real aerobic exercise and movement soon. Just trying not to overdo it and have a setback.

Well, off for a little nap now, have a good day chickies.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #44  

hi there hun..many thanks for the insight to the bsl readings...that makes heaps more sense now..yah for weight numbers i have to open a conversion calculator and type in the numbers all the time..lol..lol..lol..slowly getting an idea of what is what with pounds as a weight..and i suspect too that i will understand the bsl measurements better after a while too...oh and i am soooooo glad you are feeling better...about me..tried on a top my bestie bought me again today and it fits looser...whoooooooooot whooooooooot...25m pool is not open today waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!...thought about getting into the big pool but i am afraid of being stuck in there and not be able to get out via the ladders...the 25m pool has a ramp...tis no trouble to get into the big pool but
the getting out is a problem sigh...oh well i think i will have a rest day and do pilates and walking this evening when it is cooler...had to go to a funeral yesterday and ate some bad carbs so i am going to do shakes and veges and fruit today...to make up for it...going shopping so hoping to do some serious walking there too..i park the car far away from the entrance so i am forced to walk a further distance...lol..lol..lol..anyways everybody have a good day and be healthy and well...cheers liz
Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM   #45  
Madeleine

quick hello this am, managed to go visiting friends and playing games without pigging out on carbs. Had a snack of appropriate foods and didn't overdo it. DOn't know why I could do it then, and cave so easily other times. HOpe I can summon that ease through the holidays. I don't want to feel deprived, but don't want to go off plan a lot. Fortunately no parties to tempt me until the 22nd.
Liz: hope the pool opens up soon.
Happy TGIF everyone
Closed Thread