Old 07-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick flyby. I am using DH pc as the adapter wire to mine was split somehow. So I have to use his pc since the battery went down on mine. I don't like using his too much. May not have the plug until Monday so I won't be wriing much.

Ruthie & Rie Enjoy your trips.

Bonnie Hope your foot is better soon.

I'm still babying my knee although it is a lot better. We still have two walkers from when DH Mother was living so I'm using that. DD worked for an orthorpedic for about 10 yrs so she has been telling what to do to take care of the knee. The kids are having to do everything for themselves also taking cae of the baby since I can't lift him. Mostly staying off of it. Great time for my pc to be down, but I will be doing lots of reading. I will be lurking until I get my pc back.

Hope everybody has a great week.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 300/273/160

Height: 5'11"

Hi!

I have been improving my eating and activity levels and my glucose readings show it! DH has decided to go gluten free to see if his stomach issues improve and I am taking the plunge as well. This is a major leap for me. I don't like change coming from outside, and poor DH has heard about that! I have never cooked a meal intentionally gluten free, so I explored the grocery store this afternoon. I found a cereal, baking mix and pancake mix for DH to try. I changed dinner plans to accommodate this new diet.

Tonight: Chuck steak smothered with sauteed onions and mushrooms. I am going to use the baking mix instead of flour for the roux. Served with lean mashed potatoes and a vegetable.

Tomorrow: Boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into strips, seasoned and cooked on the griddle. Top with cheddar cheese and possibly bacon. Serve with a salad.

Thursday: Chicken Marsala with rice.

I have a plan, and I feel a bit better now. I am not a creature of change!
LadyKnight1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish - When I was in my 20's and 30's I had lost and maintained my weight by following Atkins, but I also did not follow it 100%. For the most part, I stayed away from starchy carbs, but did not eliminate them altogether. If I started to gain I would cut back for awhile to get my weight back in line. DH loves carbs, so since marrying him it has been harder to stay away from them and it shows. He wants them unlimited with every meal, so it's better for us to eat out where we can each choose a different meal.

I received my copy of the book a couple days ago. I started out by reading the segment regarding diabetes and then went through picking out chapters that interested me. Eventually, I will start at the beginning and read the whole thing through. I do know what to do, but I just need something to get me started again. I did well yesterday and hope to keep it up.

I would like to hear what pointers your DD gave you about your knee. My right knee is bad, with OA and fluid. I have an elastic knee brace that I wear when I exercise and if I forget to put it on I really pay the next day. I cannot use an exercise bike at all, even with the brace. When I went to cardiac rehab I told them that but it was part of the program and they made me do it anyway. I hated that and wished they would have altered my program with a little more exercise on something else. It might have helped my heart but really killed my knee.

Bonnie - There's nothing like a full length mirror to shock you into reality! We have one in our bathroom but I guess I'm so used to it I don't even look at it half the time. I had DH take a pic of me in my underwear and I saved it hidden on my computer. You really have to know where it is to find it. LOL I click on it and look at it once in a while to remind myself of my goals. Another thing I like to do is try on clothes when I'm shopping. It gets me back to my diet/exercise program every time!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #94  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Friends,

fbs at 91 this morning. I am low on groceries - not usual for me so I had eggs and a piece of whole grain toast for breakfast. Not as satisfying as my usual.

Trish I am interested in your DD's advice on your knee. It has been amazing to me that more activity helps my pain. Of course, I have also made your mistake and done too much too fast. I struggle with bikes and I really want to be able to ride a bike with my gs. Hopefully soon.

So Carol, what target are you setting for carbs? It has been really helpful to me that everyone in the house (except the little guy) has followed my eating plan.

Bonnie, just one day at a time, girlie. I know you can do it.

Ruth, hope you are enjoying the fair festivities.

Mad, are you still on holiday? How is your dad?

LadyKnight, yup, having a food plan is so much easier. It is a comfort.

Later!

Rie
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #95  

The knee is a whole lot better this morning. DD just had me put ice pak on it for a couple of days. Then she told me to put heat on it to get circulation going... she said alternating hot/cold would be better, but that was too much trouble to me so I just used heat yesterday. The main thing is to stay off of it as much as possible. She did tell me to do foot exercises and stretch the leg from time to time during the day. She said that I need to baby it for about a week and I take ibuprofin for the pain.

Gina I don't think I've welcomed you. WELCOME to the group.

Making this short. Y'all have a great day.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #96  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

hello gang, a short hello as I don't have internet at home for another week. (husband has the hub at the cottage). No weight loss this week again. Not happy about that, so will be working doubly hard next week. I am realizing I need a plan for certain things or I just won't get through the cravings, even when I am not hungry. This week has been good though, I have been out and about and gardening a lot at home. So all the activity is keeping me away from snacking. Maybe a woosh is coming my way.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #97  

Got the charger plug for my pc and I'm back online. Had a pretty good day. I just eat quick things right now so I don't have to stand on my leg. I think I'll be walking fine by Friday. Won't plan on doing the bike again until Monday and will be smarter with it this time.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #98  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Yesterday I spent most of my time in food prep for an upcoming event at church. Someone said they'd provide lunch. I should know better and not trust that they will bring the best things for me to eat. What is it about church-sponsored meals? It's like we're going to be running a marathon. Carb-loading at it's finest! Have learned my lesson and am bringing my lunch today. And if the Overly Sensitive Lunch Lady is offended by that...well, she obviously wasn't considering my feelings yesterday!

I have lots of homegrown tomatoes this week and am really enjoying them! Having some in my eggs in a few minutes...

Have a lovely day!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #99  

Hello friends!

fbs at 76 this morning. I still have problems from the skin infection but I am hoping that I will get better soon.

A little frustration: the nurse practitioner, who saw me on thursday because it wasn't getting better, made an offhand remark, "well, the diabetes is probably why this isn't getting better". Now, normally, she is very kind. But, this remark was made in a tone that said, "this is your fault". Since diagnosis almost 2 years ago, I have never had an A1c above 5.5 and I have no problems normally with wound healing. Even my after-meals bs readings rarely go over 110. I think that they haven't figured out how to handle this infection and just turn and blame the diabetes. What is it with health care professionals often treat diabetes as a character flaw? Sorry for the rant....

Georgia, I don't know why all those church dinners are so loaded with processed carbs. I think it is a combination of ignorance and the fact that pasta and other carbs are so cheap.

Mad, stable weight is better than climbing weight I plan to hit it hard with you when I return from my trip.

Trish, I hope your knee is improving.

Everyone else.... have a healthful and enjoyable day.

Rie
Old 07-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #100  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Whew! Just finished my last official event at the Fair and decided to splurge on a fresh lemonade from Mr Lemon! (Yes, he wears a lemon suit and squeezes the stuff fresh!) was delighted to find he now does it sugar-free! People are learning!

I also won another food battle with the person who feeds the judges lunch after the morning of judging. She usually has the Church ladies cater which is really trite and very carby. This time I subsidized the lunch a bit and ordered a lunch of beautiful ww tortilla wraps with veggies, chicken, tuna and local cheese all beautifully decorated with herbs and borage flowers. Dessert was fruit skewers with yogurt dip and some excellent lavender shortbread cookies! The judges were delighted! There IS hope!

I have tonight's dinner (here at home!) ready to roll and will be able to eat healthy tomorrow. (I do an afternoon of scooping ice cream which does not tempt me at all when I'm working with it!)

Despite somewhat erratic eating, the weight has dropped a bit and BGL is steady as she goes!

Rie, let me know if you want me to come and beat up that insensitive NP. How dare she! And 5.5 is normal range around here at least.

One more day of Village duties and then I'm outta here. I am not at all concerned about food for the next week. We will be focusing on veggies, fruits and fresh seafood - Cottagebythesea (another MOD) is a vegetarian and an excellent cook! We will probably go out for lunch and have simple evening meals at home. This may be the time to learn to operate my new Canon camera which I've had for 18 months! Anybody seen the manual?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #101  

Knee was better this morning and then I went to Walmart and walked around and it got sore again. I had planned to use the riding cart but they were all taken. So I just kind of used the shopping cart like you use a walker, but I think the problem was walking on concrete. We have wood floors at home and that makes a lot of difference. I got an ice pack on it now. The pain moves around. Originally was above the knee cap, moved to the ligament behind the knee and last night it had become a twinge on the left side of the knee cap. It was pretty much pain free this morning but now it is under the knee cap. I forgot to drink my liquid glucosemine and chlorindroten (sp) for a few days so I'm sure that didn't help. I took some when I got home.

Rie From what my doc said, I don't think you could be experiencing anything caused by diabetes especially since you've had it under control for so long. Surely she was having a bad day and you got the brunt of it. I am so sorry about that.

Georgia I think a lot of people think all those carbs are good for you. I know when I went to see a nutritionist when I was first diagnosed told me she wanted me to eat at least 12 starchy carbs a day. I never went back as I knew she couldn't help me. It is ashame that so many people are made to believe that they are eating healthy when they eat all those carbs.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #102  

Hello Friends

fbs at 81 this morning. I am up early and headed to the family reunion that I have organized. I am barbqueing about 80 pounds of chicken. My youngest son and his family are home. Tomorrow we will head for the mountains.

Ruth, thanks for understanding. Your luncheon sounds lovely and it was a great solution. Have a great vacation.

Trish, I hope the knee continues to recover.

Mad, Georgia and others, have a great weekend!

Rie
Old 07-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Since I cut way back on carbs my blood sugar has improved greatly. I'm not where I want to be, but much better than I was. Rie I don't actually have a target for carbs. I have pretty much eliminated bread, potatoes and pasta which are my main problems, eating protein at every meal and filling up on veggies. I have also started eating smaller meals. Unfortunately, I am not as diligent as you are. I know what to do, I just don't always do it. The thought of adding more meds gives me reason to try harder, but if I have to, I have to. I know people who cannot see or who have lost limbs to diabetes, and I don't want that.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-28-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #104  

Putting heat pad on the knee today and I think it is helping. I read something the other day in some newsletter I got about eating for the joints... pain relief. Can't remember who sent it and I've already erased it so I googled it. Fish and berries, flaxseed are good for the joints. I also think the article I got said that drinking plenty of water helps. I haven't been really good at that the past few days. However, today I'm working at keeping the carbs low again although not Induction low. I read on another site where someone who was just diagnosed T-2 Diabetic and her doc told her to keep her carbs below 150 but not to go lower than 135. Someone else on there said that South Beach is more like 60 carbs. So I think I could could keep my carbs between 60 and 100 easy. I don't think there is any reason to keep them at 135. In fact, I decided that just for the heck of it to count my carbs/calories today just to see how many I will have by the end of the day it comes out to just below 60 carbs and around 1000 calories. I know they say not to eat less than 1200 calories so may have to add 200 more. I could do that with a can of tuna to get the calories up and keep the carbs around 60. It might even make my knee happy as well.

Ruthie Great job the way you handled the food at the fair and you have your plan for your trip. Good for you. Have fun.

slmn11 Glad you are getting your bs under control. I'm working at that myself. I don't want the complications that comes from diabetes either.

Rie Have fun at your family reunion and time with your son and family.

Mad, Bonnie, Georgia and everyone else.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #105  

Went to bed at 2:30 this morning and slept until after 12:30 am. Did not even try to get up and go to church this morming. Leg was not hurting when I first got up. But once I started moving around it started hurting some. I think putting heat on it yesterday was a bad move so using ice pack today and staying off of it except to go to bathroom. It feels pretty much like it did before I went to Walmart so not going to do anything to keep it from fully healing this time. I've told everyone that I cannot be lifting the baby so they have to take care of him. This is one time that I have to take care of me.

Back on track with my eating too. I can't seem to get above 1100 calories but am eating about 60 carbs so not going to worry about it right now. i don't mind having a little bit of a jump start. My FBS is down from where it has been and I'm not on any meds for it right now. So I am so happy with that. Changed my ticker. I'm down another lb for a total of 8 lbs lost. I've changed my goal weight to 150 knowing I will have the option to go down
further if I want to when I reach the 150. DH always says since i looked so good at 165 lbs that he thinks I would look good at 150. So the new goal is his idea.

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.