Old 07-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #61  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I did eat one of my atkins bars while working yesterday, then went out for a late lunch with my colleague, realized I was quite dehydrated, hadn't had anything to drink the whole time at the hospital. Had 5 glasses of ice water with my lunch salad, and then had a lovely rich dessert that I should not have had, but was a chocoholic's delight. When I get too thirsty I definitely overeat and don't recognize what I really need. On track better today.
Trish, that was nice to connect with DD, and that she enjoyed working with women delivering, she may have a real calling there, and might go on to midwifery after nursing if she really enjoys that.
Very hot and humid here today, so will have to wait until evening to weed in the gardens.
Have a lovely July weekend friends, especially Rie out in the wilds of Montana!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #62  
Intuitive Eating & HAES

S/C/G: 290/244/175

Height: 5'4"

Hi, all. I've been fighting the tyranny of the ticker for the past day or so.

After steady losses for the first week, the scale crept up a pound yesterday. Now what's really important is that I adopted and stuck to some great healthy eating habits; but, instead of celebrating the positive lifestyle adjustments, I focused on one ridiculous number and felt as though I'd failed.

In response, I spent yesterday eating whatever I wanted. After a treat that turned out to be fairly "blah," followed by a surprisingly icky fast food meal, I discovered that I felt more alert and had a greater sense of well-being after eating healthy food.

The whole experience gave me the opportunity to reassess what my intentions really are and to put the numbers on the scale into perspective. (They're definitely not the sole measure of success when it comes to getting healthier, so I've adjusted my ticker to reflect a more modest weight target.) I'm now off to the farmers' market with many creative green recipes in my head, ready to get back on a positive track.

Last edited by PartTimeHippie; 07-15-2012 at 12:29 PM.
PartTimeHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #63  
Madeleine

Hippie: remember too that numbers will fluctuate. While I am fortunate to have achieved menopause and no longer have hormone fluctuations that can cause 5 pound weight gain overnight (yes, really happened), people do get water weight gain about TOM, or if eating a lot of salty food, especially oriental foods. So there is no real reason to assume your gain was from the eating. Also, in this thread, there is another reason to eat well, and that is controlling our sugars, and this may be why you feel better with healthier foods. Glad you are viewing things through a new lens, and may you enjoy the good food on the way.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #64  
Madeleine

fasting bs of 4.7 today, first time testing in a week. weight the same, but not exercising much. weeding the garden is work, but doesn't get the heart rate up much! Today will be wicked hot, and have lots of visits to do, so will be in and out of air conditioning, should be survivable.
Having a healthy breakfast of cottage cheese and fresh local raspberries. with a little splenda, its splendid. Didn't add fibre 1 today, maybe tomorrow.
Have a good MOnday friends.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 AM   #65  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

"keepin' on keepin' on"! Weight is staying the same and FBGL is just fine. I have football feet and 'kankles' but my doc is on holidays so I am without diuretics. Lots of water is happening and I have very little appetite when it's so hot. We'll see what happens when the heat wave disappears, maybe in this lifetime.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Friends

fbs at 96 this morning. I made a mistake and took off for the mountains without my medications I had a couple doses of metformin in my purse but all the others were at home. My bs stayed in the high 90's but I need to be more careful. My weight is up several pounds but I am puffy and swollen. Oh well, I enjoyed the mountains very much. My new camper was a lovely help to camping and I am so glad that I bought it.

Ruth, I hope the ankles go down. I think mine is just due to too many salty foods in the mountains. Lots of water is a good thing.

Mad, keep cool in between air conditioning visits.

Hippie, my weight fluctuates as much as 5 pounds in a day or two if I have too much salt, etc. The overall trend is important. Hang in there.

Trish it sounds like things are improving in your house. I am glad.

Bonnie, I hope things are good with you.

Work today and then pool league tonight so this will be a long day. Later!

Rie

Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #67  
Madeleine

wahoo, back down below 170 again, (just barely though) so the post wedding weight is coming off. Got to yoga last night. All in all, things are good.
Very hot, up to 41 today, yikes.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #68  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Here it is another week and not been able to do what I needed too. The hubby got sick he has a kidney stone and men are such babies when they dont feel good. Then all of his joint are hurting him . They are trying to find out why but as usual they have no answers for him. He was tested to see if he has what my children has Anklelosing Spondlitis . But they say no but they do think it is some form of arthritis . More waiting. Then I happen t get sick . On top of going back and forth with the aunt to her dr apt. Man this is enough I have to do something. I have gained some weight back and I REFUSE to take it all back that I lost I need to do something and very soon.......

Any one here take fish oil Wanting to know how it does for you. How much do you take.
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #69  
Intuitive Eating & HAES

S/C/G: 290/244/175

Height: 5'4"

Mad and Rie, thanks so very much for your words of encouragement. Also, hello to Bonnie, Ruth, and everyone else here. Have a good week, all.
PartTimeHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi everyone! I haven't been here for a while. Lately my eating has not been what it should be and my BS has been creeping up. I know I have to watch my carbs, but they are sneaking back into my diet and causing havoc. I got really scared on Monday when I checked my BS after lunch and it was 388. I knew I didn't feel well, and that was why! I immediately went for a walk on my treadmill and then after a veggie dinner, went for another walk. By bedtime I was at 182. I don't want to go to the doctor and have him put me on more meds. I know I can't eat the carbs. I just have to be more diligent with it. Reading the posts here from all of you gives me incentive and tells me that I am not alone in this. I hate that I'm diabetic but it's not going to go away, so I have to handle it the best I can.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #71  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Hey chickies, hope you're all doing well. I disappeared for a bit, fell into a vat of hormonal carb feasting, but am back on track, again. Oy! I hate it when my body acts like it's going to produce a period (intense carb cravings, intense crabbiness, edema...) but then the actual bleeding never happens. This is all part of the joy that is menopause!

But for the last three days, I've been able to dial back the carb intake again and get back to under 35 gm a day. I shed 4 of the 10 lbs I packed on since last week. It was all water, since I couldn't get some of my shoes on but I could easily get into my size 22 clothes. (Thank God for spandex!) Hoping to wear my strappy summer sandals again soon. I was able to get rid of most of my wide width shoes earlier in the year because I had lost weight and the edema in my lower legs had gone way down. But this week's water retention had me barefoot and staying at home.

No exercise for me this week. Pilates instructor is on vacation, plus my plantar fasciitis is still keeping me from needing to wear shoes and go out. Got a rolly nubby thing and am working out the kinks. I'm anxious to get back to my cardio Pilates class. It was helping me burn off my belly fat!

Take care and see you soon!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #72  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Have not been to the gym for a week now - just too darned hot! We had a tornado touch down nearby and lost our power - that meant no AC or water and was pretty bad in the high 90's heat! Things are back to normal now except for the wind-damage cleanup.

FBGL is stable and weight is starting down again.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #73  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick flyby. DD is off the rest of the week and DSIL is in FL. DD and youngest DGD are out pulling weeds and trimming bushes. She does a beautiful job when she does it.

Got my recumbent stationary bike. DH and I put it together and I did 25 minutes on it... almost 3 miles. It is so nice to have it here. I will be able to take my light weights and do those while riding and as Sansone says burn more cals. I didn't use the weights last night.

Ruthie I couldn't get to the gym as often as I wanted and couldn't get the bike when I got there this way I have it to use whenever I want. As for incentive? I hadn't been to the Y in a week and my knees were really bothering me. Just 25 minutes on the recumbent bike and my knees didn't hurt any more. Knees are asking for it again this morning. Hope the weather is nicer to you today.

Have a good day everyone.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish - As I read through the posts yesterday, I noticed that you mentioned the New Atkins book. I looked it up and it seems to be just what I need to nudge me back to the low carb program that kept me thin for so many years. I ordered a used copy and it is on it's way! I am really a carboholic and a very bad person to be diabetic, but I know in my heart that this is the WOE that is best for me for my weight and blood sugar, and I really don't want all the bad things that come along with uncontrolled blood sugar. I'm looking forward to reading this book!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello All,

Fbs at 86 this morning. I am sorry that I have been MIA. Just such a busy week! I have been working and I have been scheduled for some kind of activity every evening.

Carol, wowsers girl! I hope that bs stays down. Nice to see you here again. You have been through so much that I know that you can handle this.

Trish, glad that DD is getting some yard work done for you.

Bonnie, I hope that you are having an easier week.

Ruth, it is really hot here, also. Makes me tired.

Georgia, good job on dialing back the carbs.

Mad, how are you? Did you get anything worked out on the cabin?

Well, gotta go. Later everyone

Rie
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote