Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default Diabetes Chat for June.

Good morning and welcome to June - in case you didn't notice.

May was a bit of a wash for me as far as weightloss was concerned - up/down/up all month for a net result of 0. However, FBGL was stable except for one high mystery reading mid-month. I really hope to get more weight off in June. Right now I am exactly the same weight I was this time last year. That is NOT progress!

Part of my problem is living in this small town which seems to be the carb capital of Eastern Ontario. Because of all my volunteer involvements, I seem to end up at foodie events a lot. June is jammed with BBQs, fish frys, picnics and strawberry socials. And the July brings the Fair. I really need to go to a special gym class to stiffen my resistance muscle.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick flyby this morning. Got to run to the post office and go down to Aldi's to get me some fruit... I love their grapefruit and have one left. This is also my wash day so really busy. DH and DD are going laptop pc shopping this afternoon to find a nice inexpensive one for DGS graduation gift. He graduates tomorrow afternoon. We will take him out to eat and then come home and give him the gift. He has wanted one for so long and was disappointed when he didn't get it for Christmas or his BD. However, DH and I had always planned to get it for his Graduation. DD wants to give it to him so if we go in together on it then we can get a nicer one.

I can't believe this is June already. Hope June is nicer to us for our health.
Y'all have a great June 1st.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi all,

Sorry that I have been MIA for a few days. I have just been overwhelmed, and maybe a little down. I am happy to say that my eating has stayed on track in the midst of a lot of stress.

This weekend I hope to get a few things done and maybe a little fishing.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Back tomorrow.

Rie
Old 06-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hey everyone:
Well, yesterday started off well. I went to the chiropractor, and thats always a help for me. THen yoga, then lunch with a friend. After that did some shopping, got some shapewear to wear under my dress for the wedding. Also rechecked local stores for dresses, but think I will order one online instead. No local places had just what I wanted, and I can order one online that I quite like. I tried on some similar ones and they look ok, so I think I will do that today.
Last stop was costco. I go splenda packets in bulk, (so much cheaper than anywhere else, ) but also bought some granola bars. Just 3 points each, and a nice snack for work. Some frozen fish fillets too.
THen I went off the rails. GOt home, and had double servings of the fish for supper, and ate 4 granola bars. (They are really good!) Why oh why am I not satisfied with one. I wasn't even hungry. WHy to undo all that I have managed?
Carbs really get my carb cravings going. THis is where will power comes in.
OK, GOing super low carb for the rest of the weekend. That does it!

Ruth: I hear you with the foodie events. I don't know about changing your social life to get away from them, I like that you are an older woman on your own, but have a full and rich life. It nice to hear about, and think that aging doesn't mean loneliness. I have often looked to my father and love how social and active he is, for him retirement was truly a new lease on life. Are there things to focus on that don't include food? Is there a walking group at your church?

Rie: care to talk about what's getting you down and overwhelmed?

hope people are having a good weekend, we are getting more of the needed rain, but it now it looks we won't have much dry weather before the wedding, and thats not great either.
TTFN
Old 06-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #5  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Going threw My diabetic nutrition book and was ready where they say you can have 2 tbs of dried fruits > Does anyone do dried fruits and if so how do you handle them I thought dried fruits were higher in sugar from being dried but I would love some dried cranberries or raisins As I go threw and have anymore questions I will ask. I will be back
Old 06-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #6  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Good Afternoon Ladies. I am proud to say that my fbs this morning was 118. I am so happy to see that low number. I am looking forward to doing better and seeing only double digests like you all

Ruth wow that is a lot to resist, busy lady. That would be a challenge for me and a great one at that. If I conquered all of those outings then I would know I have this in the bag

Trish grapefruit is ok? I love grapefruit. How much of one do you eat in a meal? and I just left Aldi, didn't even look at them because I didn't know I was allowed without it causing havoc. Your DGS is gonna be thrilled

Rie sorry about the stress I hope you have a great weekend. Keep smiling

Madeleine you are busy busy busy. When you eat the granola does it spike your bs a lot? I am not a fan of granola or oats but if I could find something similar I'd be willing to give it a try.

Bonnie what book do you have?

Sorry for all of the questions today. I have one more do any of you eat bread? If so what is the best brand/kind to eat. I just want a good sandwich. Thanks
Old 06-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Quick check-in here...hey girls! I'm still on vacation! Posting from Edinburgh where I've been having a wonderful time. Have only check blood sugar a couple times. I've stayed really active, walking 3 to 6 miles a day. I've done some Pilates in my room on occasion, worked out at the hotel gym too. All my success was in the fitness realm. Food is a different story! Not that bad, but I've been eating whole wheat bread every day, plus one dessert. I've made sure the bread had lots of butter on it and the dessert had lots of cream in it (ha ha!) and had plenty of vegetables and some protein with every meal. Just haven't eaten many meals. I have no idea how my blood sugar is doing, but I feel pretty great (except for how sore my legs are from all the hills and stair climbing).

I'll be checking back in by Wednesday or Thursday. Be well!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #8  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Rennie I have a book Choose your foods The Exchange list for Diabetes I got it from the nutrition center when I had my nutrition counselling I looked at several dried fruits man the carb content was out of this world and so was the sugars so I didnt buy any.. The book is buy American Dietetic association. Its jest a 64 pages that tells you information on the good and bads of foods and the amount to stick with.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Oh my! Reality has struck! I tried on and bought a bathing suit yesterday morning. It was just as traumatic as it was before I lost some weight but I will survive. It helped me me resist most of the food at the afternoon garden party and have a very light salad supper. BGL up a tad this morning - not sure why. Weight is still the same.

Rain in the forecast again today and I have a "family" dinner tonight with some of my single gal-pals and their kids. (They are all in their 40's but I manage not to feel old.) Karen is doing a ham, Joanne a salad and Heather scalloped potatoes. I am hoping the salad is a simple one. Rather than make a rhubarb pie for dessert, I bought a DQ ice cream cake which the kids will love and I can resist completely.

On with Sunday - trying hard to feel strong.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #10  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I did well with the friends for supper last night. Made canneloni, not low carb, but with the meat stuffing not bad. Made an antipasta tray with cold cuts and cheese, (olives and artichokes too of course) to balance it off, and of course, a huge green salad. and for dessert, that ricotta cake I made at Dad's birthday in April. All in all went well, didn't totally pig out. The conversation was good.
A bit difficult to talk much with my friend about stuff that mattered. DD was with us for a while when we were prepping supper and didn't have the guys around, so it was later. She cried a little, having trouble with her DD and the fellow she has been seeing for 4 years now (who was downstairs watching the overtime hockey with my DH), family difficulties, She is having a crummy year, and I just want to be there for her. (she a was wonderful and non-judgmental during my own bad year with all the problems with DD) Good friends are worth a fortune, aren't they?

Georgia, I love holidays that involve lots of walking, it helps balance off all the great food we have. Only had a couple bad meals when I was in England and Scotland, most were quite wonderful. Continue to have a great time. The walking will of course help with the sugars anyhow!

Bonnie: remember the portions recommended with the dried fruit. 2 tblsp would be enough to put some raisins in your oatmeal, and not more.Or 2 prunes to help with constipation. Stick with fresh when you can get it. Also, a lot of the diabetes association diets are pretty high in carbs, and they are written to be the same for type 1 and type 2. Most of us type 2 find we do better with lower carbs. (the diabetes association diets usually have about 180-200g carbs/day, where most of us are doing about 100g/day or lower) but when you lower carbs, you have to get the calories and energy from somewhere, so increase fat and protein a bit so you don't get too hungry.

Love2b150, I stick to whole grain cereals when I have cereal. One serving of grains a day. So breakfast cereal, often fibre 1 or one of the kashi granola like cereals with either milk and fruit or greek yogurt and fruit. or sprouted grain bread with peanut butter and fruit spread. or later in the day, a granola bar. These are always whole grain, and the preventia ones have dark chocolate on the bottom, (supposed to be antioxidant!) and are delicious. You notice I said one serving/day of grains, and that night I ate several bars, so way too much. Kashi granola bars, or fibre 1 bars are ok too. The kashi and preventia ones are 3 ww points, while the fibre 1 are 4. Either way, they are dessert, as the sweetness is there.

Ruth, have a great time tonight, way to go getting a dessert the kids will love but won't tempt you!
I for one am going to do some planting today, and if the rain will not go away, will also get some tax stuff done. (haha, because I am self-employed, don't have to file until June 15!)
have a good sunday friends.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:02 PM   #11  

Hello All!

Fbs at 75 today. My bs has been stable. Yesterday was a good day. I went for a 4+ mile walk, did some gardening and ate well. My weight is still high but I am hanging in there.

This week my challenge will be a trip to Sidney, MT - on the edge of the oil field development. Food choices will be limited and it is not safe to be out walking there. If I have wifi at the motel, I will post.

My stress has been a combination of work stress and stress at home with my ds hitting all at the same time. I am trying to maintain a more positive attitude.

Mad, when is the wedding? I can sure relate about problems with adult children. Most of the time my ds is really easy.... it has just been a hard time lately.

Ruth, swimming suits are brutal. On the other hand, buying swim suits for the first time last year was new for me. It had been about 20 years since I had even owned one. I guess that it progress.

Bonnie, I eat a couple tablespoons of dried cranberries or cherries on a salad sometimes. They are a sweet and tangy addition. Such a small portion is hard for me to eat as a snack but I do ok if I include them in a salad. I also like a few raisins mixed in with broccoli salad.

Georgia, your vacation sounds wonderful! Enjoy.

Love2b, your questions are most welcome! I eat a whole grain bread called Montana Wheat. It has 13 carbs per slice. I rarely eat bread. I tend to treat carbs as something that I "spend" like currency. Grapefruit is considered a low sugar fruit. I can also tolerate apples and berries - in reasonable portions Congrats on your new numbers. You are making great progress!

Trish, I am sure that your dgs loved the laptop. What a great gift.

Sorry I haven't been around much. I will try to do better. I always feel better after I have visited you here. thanks.

Rie
Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #12  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

fbs this morning 155 ... I don't know why though but I guess I'll figure it out with time.

Georgia, why a lot of butter and heavy cream with the bread and dessert? Doesn't that make your reads higher? I'm just asking I haven't got a clue. Still learning and love tips that can allow me to eat a piece of bread Good for you on getting your exercise in

Thanks Bonnie for the name of the book

Ruth my fbs was higher also but I was down .2 in weight not a lot I know but I just figured if one was high the other would be also Hope you have a great day.

Madeleine glad your supper went well, and what a great friend you are Good friends are worth a fortune Thanks for the information to Bonnie. I think you answered my question to Georgia also Do you have a particular Greek yogurt that you eat? I bought some Alvarado St. Bakery - sprouted grains bread today. I ate two slices with some Smucker's fruit spread and some Peter Pan low sugar peanut butter. Not what I had in mind but it did satisfy a taste that I was needing I believe . I will definitely check out the granola bars, though I am not a granola fan. I need to learn to stop being so picky, huh!

Thanks Rie I was wondering about apples, thanks and grapes too?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #13  
GmaTo8

For Rie --->
Old 06-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #14  

thanks Jane - and everyone. I thought you might enjoy a peek at my mood elevating activity of the day. Fishing with the little guy late this afternoon. Low carb, too!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg as the sun goes down.jpg (29.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Riemontana; 06-03-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #15  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Love2b, for my body, if I add some good fats to whole grains, blood sugar doesn't seem to go up as much. This is a recent discovery of mine. It also must go with meal timing. Can't do that in the mornings because blood sugar is already at an elevated level for me. Can't do it at night because my liver stores it all and dumps it in the morning. So if I've been walking/exercising a lot throughout the day, then I can have whole grain toast with butter for a midday snack or a creamy dessert with a late lunch. But I have to exercise on either side of eating like that.

I'm missing my old eating schedule, though. My friend and I have different body clocks and we don't usually feel like eating or getting to bed at the same time. And since we're so far north, sunset is much later and it never really gets dark enough. I am ravenous at lunch, not eating dinner so much, and I miss my vegetables. I am not drinking enough water either. And I've had more gin this week than I've had all year!

I fly back to the US on Wednesday. Tonight we go to the symphony! I've never been!
Closed Thread