Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 171/142/140

Height: 5'3"

Default GOOD dr visit, amen!

6 mons ago, my dr told me that since my a1c was 7.1 and not getting better, we'd need to discuss changing my lantus injections, from 1x at night to also adding fast acting injections at meals. I was 162 lbs, 5'3".
I was depressed and pissed about it, and spent the next 3 months eating, and denying that I had a problem. By Christmas when I couldn't fit into any clothes and was 171, I decided I'd had enough. Started calorie counting, exercising 3x a week and eating as clean as possible. Kept a very diligent food diary, 1500 calorie per day budget.

I went back to the dr today. Weight now 151, a1c is 6.4 (normal range) no cholesterol issues whatsoever. Dr. Asked me what happened? I said you pissed me off and decided it was MY decision, not his to figure this out.

Told me we are keeping my 1x shot, no others, keep it up and come back in 6 months.

Got in my car and cried happy tears. Lost my mom 10 yrs ago, she had diabetes all her adult life. Science back then didn't offer her the info that I have, and, while she tried to maintain good diabetes management, she didn't have the tools and info that we do. I miss her, but I honor her, and I never want this disease to define me!

Last edited by Jonjaxmom; 03-22-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Jonjaxmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

wonderful and inspirational. Good for you!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #3  

Jonjaxmom,

You go girl. Congrats.

What is your opinion of Lantus-any issues?

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

WTG!

That's a huge change since the last appt!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/142/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Sheridan,

People warned me that taking lantus would cause me to gain a few pounds. I did, 10 pounds in like 3 months, but honestly I believe most of that weight gain was because I was just so pissed that I had to take insulin that I also self medicated with grinders, Chilis, Coronas and French fries! Lol. I've found that it really hasn't been so bad, honestly. I was taking glucophage XR for about 7 yrs prior, and the intestinal side effects with that seemed waaaayy worse!

Last edited by Jonjaxmom; 03-25-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Jonjaxmom is offline   Reply With Quote