Old 12-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default I just got diagnosed with diabetes.

I'm at a loss because my blood sugar was well within the normal range less than a year ago. My recent test showed that I was over the top. I forgot to request copies of my tests from last spring and the recent one. I want to see them.

Do you have any suggestions? I really need some help in how to eat. I'm not monitoring myself yet. I have to get over the fear of needles to intentionally poke myself several times a day. I know, that is my problem, but it is a problem nontheless.

I have diverticulosis. When it flares, I'm in diverticulitis. I prefer the "losis" instead. So that means I cannot have any nuts, seeds or corn. I have to seed all my tomatoes when I eat them over the summer when they are fresh.

I was thinking of trying to follow the Primal diet anyway and now that I've been diagnosed, I have to do something.

The other problem is that I cannot do any physical exercise. After using those blasted Icy Hot Patches and developing A Fib, I have to severely limit my movement so I don't collapse and gasp for breath. So, weight loss is going to be extremely slow.

I would sincerely appreciate any help and suggestions.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #2  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

First off, breathe. I know where you're coming from, and its a shocker, but its livable. Ask your doctor to set up a meeting with a nutritionist. Hopefully you'll get a good one who in addition to explaining a lot will give you more than a xeroxed diet to follow.

The traditional diabetes diet unfortunately still heavily relies on carbohydrates, while at the same time labeling carbs as evil. For me, I have to find a middle ground. If I eat salad and protein for lunch, and take a pill (metformin or glimipiride, both generic) I find that in the afternoon my sugar falls low (like 50) and I have to be careful with that. However, any pills taken with grain works differently. When your sugar is high, you are to drink water and if you can, move about (like take a walk) if able. Basically, you'll be watching those white carbs. Whole grains are better, but try to limit your grains to 2 meals and skip them on one. Don't be afraid of fruit either, but certain ones are better than others. Strawberries are great. I find that I can have pineapple only in small quantities and, again, that is when I'd take a pill. Do try to eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner. Try to keep your sugar regulated and try not to starve yourself b/c if you do overeat, you get a sugar load/spike generally.

The only food that doesn't affect sugar is .... tada fat. Shocking, no? In that vein, protein isn't a big sugar load either. Watch out with your fruits, your grains, and lastly your veg (like carrots are sugary, but still good for you).

I'm sure I haven't covered nearly enough, but I want you to know that you'll be okay, so long as you cut out the sugary junk, take your medications as prescribed, exercise some, and eat healthfully--and get over your fear of needles. I promise, the lancet is so small...you hardly even feel it. True.

Last edited by 124chicksinger; 12-06-2011 at 06:57 PM.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It's going to be OK. My son is diabetic and he keeps it under control by diet. Ask your doctor to give you a diet to follow. There most be thousands of words written on diabetes. You can get information from American Diabetes Association as well as your doctor. My suggestion would be to get as much information as possible. Are you Type one or Type two ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thanks. I am going to the library to get some books on this and start planning some menus. I told Bob that I need to pick up some cookbooks as well. Of course, as per normal, the sabbotage starts. "We don't need cookbooks. We know how to adapt our recipes to low carb." My remark was that I've never had to cook a diabetic diet before and I'm sure there are some things I don't know about and a cookbook would be beneficial. It is hard when you don't feel like you get any support. I wish I could afford my divorce.

I'm not worried about certain things in my diet. I tend to lean more savory than sweet but if I want a cookie, I'll have one. Sometimes I will have 1 cookie after dinner. I may do that 1ce or 2ce a month. I just have to make myself start snacking in the afternoon. It is something I've been avoiding. I thought my tiredness was due to my heart condition. I will have to observe and see if it is indeed my sugar levels.

Thanks for your responses and encouragement.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

My mother is non insulin dependent diabetic, and controls hers fairly well with diet.

Are you getting your A-fib treated? There are surgical options for A-fib. My DH has had an ablation which helped, along with medication, he's much better now. My WW leader has had 2 ablations and now has her A-fib under control.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #6  

I got a grest diabetic cookbook for my son at Barnes and Noble, don't remember the name but they had several different ones. The recipes sounded delicious and of course good for anybody especially dieters.

Last edited by bargoo; 12-08-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #7  

Mare, if you haven't already done so I would suggest looking up American Diabetes Associatio, tons of useful info for you.
www.diabetic.org
Old 12-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #8  

Here's another lots of diet and diet book suggestions.
www.shopdiabetes.org

Last edited by bargoo; 12-08-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #9  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thanks!

Janelle, I've been seeing my heart dude for over a year. I'd gone back to normal, still unable to do physical exercise, but normal BP and pulse for many months. Lately I started going wanky. Adjustment of the meds helped.

Bargoo, I'll check out the sites when I get home. I'm hitting the library this weekend and making some meal plans and although it will be a completely hellish weekend of bickering, I'm going to put my foot down and demand that we start having "open fire" nights most nights of the week. He can cook for himself. I'm going back to seafood most nights.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #10  

Good luck, Mare. I admit when my son was diagnosed with diabetes I reacted badly. out of fear. I could only see the negatives. I have since learned more about it and try to leave him alone , ( He is an adult ). I at first made him promise he would take care of it and he did for awhile. A couple months ago I said I will say this once as I do not want to be a nag (never works usually) I reminded him of his promise and told him I didn't think he was taking care of himself ( it was very obvious, he wasn't) He seems to be back on track, now. Learn everything you can and ask your doctor for help, I think they sometimes forget that this is new to us and we need answers and direction.

Last edited by bargoo; 12-08-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #11  

What kind do you have,type 1,2 or prediabetic?
I have lived withtype 2 diabetes for years. Please do ask the doc to see the nutrionist,they help a lot. A lot of good cook books out there. There are good carbs and bad carbs. Switch from regular sugar to a substitue. I never liked sweet and low as it left an after taste. But I use splenda,forget the name but it is in a blue package.LOl,sorry.Mind left me there. The doc's have told me that the whole family could go on the diabetic diet that it is good for eveyone. Since having to watch things and keep the AIC down below 7 it has helped in my weight loss program. Have lost 56 pounds and was taken off my oral medication. Good luck in you venture to understand and deal with this huge blow in your life. GOD be with you.
birdfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi Mare,

Testing isn't bad - really. I test on my arm and it doesn't hurt at all. The lancet is so quick it is not like a needle stick.

We all eat a little differently. Testing will help you to learn what your body reacts to. I eat one carb serving per meal.

Join the December chat - some good peole there.

Rie
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #13  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
Hi Mare,

Testing isn't bad - really. I test on my arm and it doesn't hurt at all. The lancet is so quick it is not like a needle stick.

We all eat a little differently. Testing will help you to learn what your body reacts to. I eat one carb serving per meal.

Join the December chat - some good peole there.

Rie
rie, what kind of lancet do you use? I tried this, and never got enough blood and it left pinprick bruises. I followed the directions on the pack, about roughing up the area to improve blood flow etc.. just curious
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

I use a freestyle lite meter, strips and lancets. I do have a rather ruddy complexion on my arms. I can also test easily on the pad between my thumb and index finger. Just make a fist and test on the little pad there.
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #15  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

When I do a test I just squeeze my finger and thumb together really hard which makes a plump cushion on the side of my finger to prick with the lance, plus you won't feel anything with that pressure applied.
Ther is really no need to have to go out and visit a library these days as there is such a wonderful amount of info on the net about everything! You can always print off any recipes that you are particularly liking and the forums are quite diverse and amazing too. I belong to at least five (5) different ones for Db, Arthritis, AS and SpinaBifida. Such a magnigicent amount of advice and friendship available.
Take care.... Emm..
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote