Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #61  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Busy, busy chicks! As they say around Delta, "No flies on ......" <---- your name here.

BGL and weight still holding from yesterday - no chocolate yesterday but did have a bad encounter with hummus and crackers, all good healthy stuff but not in large quantities. I realized yesterday that I've not been regularly taking my Victoza which seems to stomp on my snacking habit.

Aside from that, I'm feeling on top of the Christmas juggernaut with just a bit of wrapping left to do and my goodie baskets to make. Today I hope to get to Bulk Barn for supplies and make my doggie treats as well. However, it's very foggy out there so I may not be able to get to town this morning. I have pet therapy to do this afternoon so may have to go tomorrow. This is one of the times when I wish I was back in the city - but the wish passes fast!

Happy Hump Day!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #62  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi all, weight is down another pound this am. WIll change the ticker if it stays down. Am thinking that if I can keep this up I can forget about the bernstein diet, everything I read is negative, but I want to lose most of this by April, so may do it in February if I am not losing even if faithful on Atkins.
Ruth, it is too warm here too, about freezing and expecting rain today after a week of cold clear weather and some snow on the ground just feels wrong. HOping for a white Christmas for sure.
Saw my little Lilia yesterday, I brought lunch to her and her mother, so we didn't have to tie the kid down in a restaurant. Instead she showed off her brilliant 11 month old walking skills and enjoyed my Christmas gift of red rubber boots and babbled and played, and I had a lovely time.
Happy wednesday friends, Im off for a busy work day.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Good Morning Chickies

I am happy to say that I've had 3 days of successfully OP and it has paid off in the fact that the 1lb+ 1 has come off and I am now down 11 lbs and my ticker is accurate. It helps me have the incentive to stay OP. FBGL was up to 150 mg, but could be due to several things. Had a stressful evening and didn't sleep very good and I usually have a snack around 9ish of yogurt and a few berries so I can take my last Metformin for the day. Last night I ended up eating a string cheese and 2 whole grain crackers instead. I ate a little later and may not be able to eat those that late at night. It's just too heavy for nighttime for me. I also had to take a sinus pill since something is really messing with my allergies and that makes the reading higher. Doc told me to take Clairton without D, but I have to have the D for it to work. I also realize that my FBS reading just may bounce around some until I get some more of this weight off. I do know from past experience that when I get my weight down below 200, my BS is normal. So I think I need to focus on getting the weight off and everything else will correct itself. My goal during the holidays is to lose as much weight as I can or at least not to gain anything. I want to go back to the doc in January with a weight loss of even a lb and to get an improved blood work. I also know from past experience that eating more of low to moderately low carb sure does improve all the blood work numbers. It just feels so good to have things back under control.

Ruthie - I also have to watch the chocolate. I do allow myself 2 pcs of dark chocolate for the health benefits, but I may not be able to do that much until I get the bs under control again. At least with WW, I can have it within the daily pts. However, I find that as I get things under control that I don't seem to crave it so much. DD bought to turkeys on sale and has announced to all of us that she is cooking it tomorrow. I am looking forward to having some of it.

Fatmad - Sorry you still have those horrible hives, but glad you are getting sleep from the meds. Good for you on the 30 minute walk. The kids have a dog and I've have taken on so many things they should be doing that they should be doing, but maybe I should walk their dog. They take him out but don't walk him and all he does is eat and sleep and he is getting fat. I just haven't decided if I wanted to do it because once I do, it will become "my" job. However, it would solve two problems... he would get out more and we both would get exercise. I see you get attached to some of your babies... so easy to do. I always did that when I had child care in my home years ago. I wanted to be a foster home, but my DH at that time said "No, you will get too attached and then it will break your heart to have to let them go". So I never did it. I can tell you are really good at what you do and I'm sure you are blessed as much as they are.

Rie - I agree that kids are so cute and fun to watch as they plan things like that. Soon to be 9 yr old DGD has informed me that "we need to plan our Christmas dinner", especially the things we are going to bake. I need to make a list of things I need to get for our baking and may make that a project she and I can do this afternoon when she gets home. Saturday she spent time going through the house finding things she could give each of us and wrapped them with wrappings she made from construction paper and placed them under the Christmas tree. So cute and funny. We may get things that are already ours. LOL
Sorry you had to have the knee drained and a shot, but sure hope your knee will be better really soon.

Bonnie - I hope all is going well for you as I know you are a busy girl these day with the move.

I have presents I need to get busy and wrap and see what I still need to get for who. DH used to keep a list of things we gave each person so I'm waiting for him to get that done and then I'll wrap them and put them under the tree with Hannah's homemade gifts. Just have to get in the mood. Don't even have my Christmas Cards ready to mail and I usually mail them way before now. I did find them and get them out yesterday, just have to address, stamp and mail them.

Well, I've been long winded this morning. Guess I better get busy. DD gets out early today so will be home before noon and DH and I are going for him to get 2 blood tests done at 2 different doctor's offices and then out to eat and to the store. My Thursday night Bible study has moved to tonight so will be a busy day.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. Y'all have a great Wednesday.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #64  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Hi all, weight is down another pound this am. WIll change the ticker if it stays down. Am thinking that if I can keep this up I can forget about the bernstein diet, everything I read is negative, but I want to lose most of this by April, so may do it in February if I am not losing even if faithful on Atkins.
Ruth, it is too warm here too, about freezing and expecting rain today after a week of cold clear weather and some snow on the ground just feels wrong. HOping for a white Christmas for sure.
Saw my little Lilia yesterday, I brought lunch to her and her mother, so we didn't have to tie the kid down in a restaurant. Instead she showed off her brilliant 11 month old walking skills and enjoyed my Christmas gift of red rubber boots and babbled and played, and I had a lovely time.
Happy wednesday friends, Im off for a busy work day.
CONGRATULATIONS on the weight loss. Glad things are working for you and hope it keeps going that way for both of us.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello friends!

fbs at 62 this morning. I had two other (worse) low episodes last night. I am having a really bad cortisone storm post shot yesterday, lots of pain and a fever. I was worried about it sending my bs soaring but apparently it is giving me lows this time Just when I think I have this bs stuff figured out. I talked to my nurse and she thinks it may be because my bs is so controlled now as opposed to a year ago when I had the last shot. Just got a call back from the dr who advised 10 - 15 carbs and testing evry 2 hours for now.

Congrats on the weight loss to everyone, especially during this busy season!

Ruth, I love how you always remember to mention "hump day". I am a chocolate FIEND I just try to allow myself to indulge in small amounts.

Trish, it sounds like you are getting things figured out. I agree that losing the weight is such a big part of this bs battle. For me, the regular excercise is also key. I was reminded again, as my bs was staying at about 10+ in the couple days that I couldn't work out. Your story about little dgd is soooo cute! The little ones understand the spirit of giving, even though they may be a bit confused about the mechanics...

Mad, of course, we will support your decisions about whatever plan you follow. I have some friends who did a Bernstein-like plan here. Shots, appetite suppressants, very rigid program. They have rapidly lost a lot of weight and two of them have boomeranged right back. Just be careful, ok? Your dd and the rest of the family want you HEALTHY. How is that diet for diabetes? I loved your story about little Lilia. I could picture her in my mind.

Bonnie, thinking of you as you do all the hard work to take care of your family.

Lets all say a prayer and think special thoughts about Carol. I am sure that she is still hospitalized from her surgery but I am praying for her quick and effective recovery. Bless her and her family.

Sorry for anyone that I missed.

rie
Old 12-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #66  
Madeleine

Thanks for the support friends. What I have read about Bernstein is that it isn't healthy, and I would boomerang, and while I am desperate not to look fat in the wedding pictures, I don't want the weight back at the end of the summer, and maybe be unhealthy in the mean time. I will think about it for the long term if needed. After a couple of weeks of being really on target with atkins, I tend to get a bit lazy and cheat a bit. Not enough to really gain, but it interrupts the weight loss. I think I have to be really on plan. That shouldn't be any harder that what I read about Bernstein. And if I can stay on plan, the carb cravings will be better.
Rie: I have mostly heard about bs going high after cortisone shots, but you are right, your sugars are MUCH better controlled now, so may be the reason for the lows. Trish, I love the story about grandkids and baking, and "homemade" gifts. That is sweet. It is good for kids to get creative when finances are difficult.
DH made a good supper for me tonight, which was great, was starving after work. Am also very tired, so going to lie down.
ttfn
Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 AM   #67  
Come on Spring!

Good morning. Just a quick check-in before the day gets away with me. Weight is still the same and FBGL is steady. It HAS to move sometime, right?

Fatmad I feel better knowing you are not doing Dr. B. There was a chick on this board (from Kingston) who was on his plan and ended up with major problems. I think it was from the shots.

Sorry I can't linger these days but things are gearing up around here. Happy Thursday.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #68  

Good Morning Everyone,

Fatmad - I wasn't aware of Dr. B with shots, but I did try the diet at one time and I just couldn't cut the carbs that far back. I get emails from a girl on another thread who has lost weight on Carbohydrate Addict's CALP. She said she heard of a man who lost weight by just cutting out grains which really caught my eye because when I decided to do WW/LC I decided to eat grains but very little. She decided to do an experiment for 30 days to see how her body reacted to cutting out wheat/grains. She says she has been consistently losing weight everyday. May be 1/4 to 1/2 a lb a day, but the scales are moving downward. She started doing the experiment on June 11 and gave the results of a few days and she is still doing it with the same results. I noticed when I started doing this WW/LC that I am steadily losing as well and have been wondering what was helping me to lose since I've had such a difficult time losing for so many years. I think it is because I'm not eating a lot of grains. I did have a burger yesterday and noticed that the scales didn't move up or down. So I'm thinking the wheat/grains just may be a problem for me. She gets her carbs from chocolate, fruits, veggies and nuts and still does it with CALP. Not a lot different from phase 2 of South Beach. This also explains to me why that diets like Meditarrainian (sorry sure I spelled that wrong) Diets always made me gain weight rather than lose. Had a diet doctor put me on a diet with loads of grains and when I went back 2 weeks later I had gained weight and he chewed me out. I went home in tears, because he thought I cheated but I didn't. Now I see it was the grains, not me. Just thought I would share this with you for what it is worth.

Ruthie - Be sure to take care of YOU during all you busyness.

Rie - Hope your knee is letting you get back to the exercise you are missing. I am actually getting in the mood to exercise. My dvd player is difficult to work in my bedroom, but I am wanting to learn to use it so I can get with the exercising. So I plan to do just that and not wait until January to start while I have the strong desire to do it.

Bonnie Hope you are taking time for yourself with all the work you are doing. All that work is called EXERCISE just working other muscles than you usually do.LOL

Have an easy day today and tomorrow. DD is taking exams today and will be home early and off tomorrow so I'm going to try to get the rest of the shopping done and get presents wrapped and under the tree. Also got to get things ready for the DGDs to do their baking as well as do my own baking. Christmas will be here and over and we'll be in a new year before we know it. Time goes so quickly, but it seems to go even quicker since I've gotten older.

Everybody else reading and let's all have a great day!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #69  
Madeleine

Moved the ticker this am! I am down, and am actually a little below that. Friends, you are all right, I just have to stick with it, and be strict. In the past I have been adding in sugar free treats, low carb crackers etc. and I stall. I am doing it right, and better and its showing. Trish, I can do without bread and spaghetti, but I miss sweet baked goods (ok, we all do) and oatmeal and grain salads, like tabouli and quinoa salads. These may sound strange to some, but they are whole grains, have some protein, and when I was a vegetarian, many years ago, were staple foods to me. A good tabouli salad is really delicious. If you do eat grains, try it some time.
Today is potluck day at work, may not partake and just have the chicken salad and coleslaw that I bring.
HOpe Rie's knees are better, and the fever is down. Trish, thanks for your buck up. BOnnie, good luck with packing.
Happy Thursday.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #70  
Madeleine

Made my famous red cabbage salad for the potluck, went over well.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/r...nd_walnuts.php

Try it for a colourful and flavourful mouthful. I am not sure about the nutritional info, the carbs seem high to me. I use 2 pkts. splenda instead of sugar in the dressing of course.

Stayed on plan today, inspite of Christmas temptations. I took stuff off the table, and did the dishes so I wasn't tempted to munch after lunch. If I can just keep this up, for say 6 months
Old 12-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #71  

Hello friends.

No internet this morning and I had a terrible and very long day at work today. My knee is better but I am following dr orders to lay off excercise until Monday. I will probably "cheat" a little and lift some weights with upper body on Sunday.

Bad news for me today of allegations against two staff members that have started a full investigation. Auditor arriving tomorrow at my request. I spent the day with attorneys and trying to deal with anxious staff members. I will probably need to work through the weekend. Sorry if I won't be around much but maybe things will settle out soon.

Even so, it is sure nice to come on here - even like I did late last night - and see what you all are up to..... Proud of everyone here and our progress. Be back soon.

Rie
Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 AM   #72  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

good morning..

sorry for being MIA. i get down this time of year. my dad left me and my mom on Christmas morning when i was 13. i know it was nothing i did, it still hurts after all these years. i think i am going to work on that this coming year and see if i can't resolve the feelings and maybe it will help with my eating. sorry to complain.

tomorrow we finish up the Christmas shopping and sit back and wait. granddaughters will be here for their winter break. the other grandmom watches them, but, she is leaving town. one gets her braces today. so i have some soft foods for her to eat next week.

well, off to find next years 5k runs. i am also going to plan some with hubby for next year.

zumba tonight. looking forward to that.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #73  
Come on Spring!

Nice to see you, Chipper. Sorry about the bad Christmas memories but please don't apologize. You have every right to have those feelings.

Woke up this morning to two pounds gone and a decent BGL of 4.3. I may reinstate my ticker next week as it's lying just a little bit right now.

I have a slight bit of indigestion happening since I nibbled at some nuts last night. A dumb move since I know they do that to me but I did do a Bulk Barn shop yesterday - in the pouring rain - and was feeling a tad sorry for myself. With no family nearby, this time of year can be sad although I have lots of friends and lots of community involvement.

Donna comes to clean this morning, I have a doctor re-check this afternoon and Book Club tonight so had better get moving.

TGIF
Old 12-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #74  

Chipper - Good to see you. I remember when DD first hubby left her and 3 children. Their divorce was final on their anniversary. She and the children were devistated. She has a wonderful husband and they have a son and they all live with us right now. I know at least one daughter (the one child who was closest to him) still goes through things. I don't believe we ever get over the hurts of things that happen in our lives that hurt us, but I do believe that we can get to the place we can past it. I pray you will find your way. It is like my Daddy said one Sunday to a man visiting our church whose wife had died. Daddy told him from the pulpit "People tell me they don't know how I do it... how I go own without my wife like I do." He said "I tell them I didn't know I had a choice". So my thoughts are with you this Christmas for you to find peace.

Ruthie - You know DH and I have spent so many holidays without our family around and I realize what a blessing it is to have the children here this year. I was thinking this morning, At this time, we would usually be getting for them to come spend a week or so with us. This year we are making new memories. DD and I are really building a great relationship.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Will try to get back later. Y'all have great Friday.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #75  

Hello all,

I am thankful for a fbs of 72 after a stressful and sleepless night. I have breakfasted and I am off to face the day.

Chipper, sorry about the hurtful christmas memories. I hope they go away.

Ruth, it must be hard to be away from family. Remember though, there is the family that you are born from and the family that you choose. I think you have lots of chosen family around you.

Trish, it is easy to overlook the blessings and just focus on the stress, isn't it?

Off to face the day.....

Rie
Closed Thread