Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #61  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

I lost 2 pounds this week so my total is 19 pounds and counting. I am gonna post the chicken if anyone wants it.

chicken with Mozzarella
This recipe requires that you pound the chicken breasts to flatten them, but take care not to pound them so hard that you tear the flesh, making holes through which the delicious filling can escape.
SERVINGS: 6 chicken rolls
CARB GRAMS PER SERVING: 6
Rated : 12345 by 2 people

Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings: 6 chicken rolls
Calories274
Total Fat (g)11
Saturated Fat (g)3
Cholesterol (mg)77
Sodium (mg)368
Carbohydrate (g)6
Fiber (g)1
Protein (g)35
Vitamin C (DV%)6
Calcium (DV%)18
Iron (DV%)8
Diabetic Exchanges
Vegetables (d.e.)1.5
Very Lean Meat (d.e.)4.5
Fat (d.e.)1
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 pounds)
Salt
Black pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots or onions
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 of a 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
3 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts, toasted
3/4 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
1/4 cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Place 1 chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat with all chicken breasts.
2. For filling, in a medium skillet cook shallots and garlic in the 2 teaspoons hot oil until tender. Remove from heat; stir in spinach, nuts, and smoked mozzarella. In a shallow bowl combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
3. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling on each chicken breast. Fold in the bottom and sides; then roll up. Secure with wooden toothpicks.
4. Lightly brush each roll with the 1 tablespoon olive oil; coat with bread crumb mixture. Place rolls seam side down in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degrees F; oven about 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). Remove toothpicks before serving. Makes 6 chicken rolls.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning All

fbs was at 72 this morning so I had my breakfast of an apple and peanut butter first thing. I will work out as soon as I finish here.

Bonnie, Yay! 19 pounds gone is wonderful. I love the chicken recipe. I have used it and it is really versatile. You can actually use any cheese and any veggie. I like to use part-skip cheese and chopped asparagus, too. Yum.

Ruth I am glad that you are getting a handle on the lows. Good luck with the excercise.

Fatmad, are you back at home or still at the cottage? I hope that you are doing well.

Carol, is your leg pain better? I hope so.

I will check in later today and see how everyone else is doing. Have a good one.

Rie
Old 09-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #63  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

TGIF!!!

Rie--Thanks so very much for your support through this journey! I finally had a chance to read your post looking back over the past year. Wow! You've come a long way, baby!

Bonnie--That recipe looks divine! Will definitely give it a try.

Ruth--Very glad to hear you are working on turning around those low BS readings.

Carol--leg pain can be caused by many, many things. Some causes are particularly worrisome (ie: DVT aka blood clots). Other causes can be sciatica, dehydration, low sodium (salt), low potassium, low calcium, etc. Since your pain is persistent, you might consider getting it evaluated sooner than later. DVT can kill if left untreated.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 288/188/130

Height: 5" 5'

Hi everyone
Bonnie that recipe sounds great I will give it a try over the weekend. Great job with 19 lbs you must be proud!
Carol hope you sort out the problem soon!
I can't exercise at the moment got hit by a car on Wednesday night! My shoulder is really painful!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

A quick flyby. Everything is going pretty good with extended family. DD finally talked to us and told us the problem. They are having problems with Xs over child support and hurting financially at the moment. We've explained our financial situation so we are trying to get through this time as we can. She was depressed over everything and was ashamed that they had moved in and couldn't give us any money right now. I told her that it would have been better if she had come and talked to us. She was embarrassed. I told her that we are her parents and she needs to feel she can talk to us about anything. Things are perfect, but at least now that I understand what is happening I feel better than I did when I thought they were just using us. Kids are learning to obey us and I believe that will get better.
I'll try to get back in a few days and catch up on reading and hopefully do indies.
Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:52 AM   #66  

Yeah, I got a signature. Feel like I really belong now!
My shoulder is feeling a bit better this morning, I might be able to get dressed without partner (Gary) helping today!
I was very naughty last night though. I had French fries and garlic Mayo. Learned a lesson though, I didn't enjoy it and my stomach doesn't feel too good this morning! My excuse - I haven't really eaten properly since my car got hit. The way I fool myself is ridiculous, it isn't until later that I can see I'm just lying to myself.
Still won't be able to exercise for a couple of days. I'm really missing it and my energy levels have really dropped. Something else I have learned!
Visit to the doctor as traumatic. She was more interested in my diabetes than car accident. I have refused to take Avandia. She told me that if I didn't take it I would die and she would not be responsible. I told her she was right that I have finally taken control of my life and my disease. She's got quite angry with me. I asked her to give me 3 months to see what I can do with diet and exercise before I decide to take more medication. She told me I could be I'll by then. I explained that I check my bloods 3 times a day and they have already dropped by 20%. She told me that the monitors are no good and give out false readings. I just got up and left her office a bit depressed. Ok now though. I have diabetes it doesn't identify who I am it's a small part of me that I have to deal with.
Oh and my employer is discipling me for going to the doctors after the accident during working hours!
Sorry for the rant but it's good to get it off my chest X

Last edited by JingerBird; 09-10-2011 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Thanks for the recipe, Bonnie! I will omit the nuts and adding mushrooms sounds good. One time I put spinach in my lasagna and my husband ate it, so he might surprise me. Maybe he just doesn't like spinach served plain as a vegetable.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I still have my leg pain. On day 5 without my Metformin I got a really high BS reading that scared me, so I went back on it. My leg pain feels like a muscle pain and it is in my thighs and hips, not in my calves. It comes and goes, and it's better when I'm more active. If I sit for an hour or more, I'm really stiff and sore when I get up, until I start moving around. I will discuss this with my doctor.

I had never noticed the weight loss benefits of Metformin, but this past week when I wasn't taking it I had the appetite of a horse and have put on a few pounds. I hope that stops now that I'm back on it. I think losing more weight will help with the leg pain.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #69  

Hello all! Happy Saturday

I rose early and did a 3+ mile fast walk this morning. I made my best time yet at an average of just under 13mins/mile. I think I will be ok on the 5k walk in a couple of weeks. My bs was 72 this morning. It went way up to 135 after the walk but dropped into the 70's within an hour. Weird, cuz I felt like I was low about halfway through the walk. Maybe it is some kind of rebound effect? IDK.

Trish, I am glad that there is some communication happening with the kids. That always helps everything.

Carol, I am concerned about your leg pain. I hope that you get it checked soon.

Jinger, I am sorry that you are struggling with your doctor. I forgot - are you on any meds now? Is there some reason that you don't want to take the avandia? When you say that your readings are down 20%, what kinds of readings are you getting? If you feel comfortable, share more about your situation. Saying that you are going to die right away seems a little dramatic. I am so sorry about the car accident and all the hassles that are happening. Hang in there.

Floriduh, thanks for the feedback. Writing that "its been a year" post was very therapuetic for me and I am glad that it helps others. Good to see you posting here all the time and I hope that everything is going well with you.

Bonnie, it appears that your recipe is a hit! So proud of your progress so far.

Ruth, Fatmad, and everyone else. I hope that you are enjoying your weekend.

Rie
Old 09-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #70  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I am completely stymied! Yesterday I did not take any meds and this morning's reading was 4.7 or 84.6 USA. (I completely forgot at bedtime and forgot the morning Victoza shot as well.) I think I've been changing too many things at once so am going to stick with the Metformin (1000mg) at bedtime, no glyburide and a 1.2 Victoza in the morning after breakfast. I have dinner with friends this evening and will be having wine so we'll see if I have a very low tomorrow.

Last edited by Ruthxxx; 09-11-2011 at 11:00 AM. Reason: fixed error in dosage of Met
Old 09-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #71  

Rie thanks for the support!
I am taking metformin 2x 850g a day. I have taken other meds in the past but I have found that they give me bad side effects. Avandia makes me put on weight, 1-2 lbs a week so I stopped taking it. I have tried about 5 different meds in the past but the only 1 that helped was metformin.
My morning levels have come down from 17 to between 10-13 in just 3 weeks and by mid afternoon my levels are 6 (normal). It really all depends on what I eat. I'm being really struck with myself and am aiming everyday for less than 75g of carbs.
I was diagnosed a long while ago but have never really bothered that much but I want to sort it out now. I'm having some really good results in 3 weeks. Imagine what I can achieve in 3 months. I've decided to carry on as I am for 3 months and then have my bloods done and see what a difference I have made.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 PM   #72  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Ruthxxx If you are having trouble taking your meds you may want to leave yourself a note . OR do like I do set your alarm on your cell phone to a time that you need to take it everday I do it for my daughter to remind me for her to take her meds in the evening.

Rie Thanks I have been combing the net and trying different things so far all has been a hit with the family. Congrats on your progress so far .

slmn11 You are so welcome You can barley taste that its spinach and I also used redu fat mozzarella cheese couldnt find smoaked. I hope your leg apin gets better.

JingerBird Congrats on getting a signature . I hope your shoulder gets better. Sorry to hear what happened.

pattygirl63 Glad to hear that you guys are working things out in your family. Dont you love the cooler weather we are having right now.

If I miss anyone sorry I hope you are all doing good.

Floriduh Glad to see you checking in with us I hope all is going great for you.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #73  

Hello All!

Well, my morning bs was a high 107. I had actually been up for a while, couldn't sleep last night and I know that I forgot to take my evening dose of metformin. I didn't have supper til really late last night.

Yesterday I bought a new pickup truck. It is a crew cab 2006 f150 that is loaded up with lots of nice features. I am a little nervous because I haven't bought a new vehicle in a long time. The nicest part is that I am able to sell my aging, unattractive but mechanically solid Explorer to youngest ds who really needs a vehicle. I actually think that I was nervous/excited last night and that made it hard to sleep well.

Bonnie, the cell phone alarm thing works really well, doesn't it. I used it at first because it made me feel less overwhelmed. I am so glad that your family is enjoying the foods that will bring you all to a healthier lifestyle

Jinger, I think you can make really good progress if you try hard. No medication will make up for a carb laden diet. I didn't realize that avandia causes weight gain - that cant be good! I take metformin and Januvia.

Ruth, I am stymied too! I am surprised because 100mg metformin seems like a tiny dose?? I take 1000 2x per day! I hope the wine doesn't send you too low tonight. It lowers my sugar too. I also feel like it goes to my head much quicker these days. I wonder if that is medications, diabetes, or that I am out of practice?

Hi Carol, glad that you went back on the metformin. Sorry that the leg pain is still plaguing you. Even though it feels like muscle pain, is it possible that it is an arthritic condition with your hip? My dad always said that the primary symptom early on with his hip was in his thigh and rear parts.

Sorry for anyone that I missed. I will check in later.

Rie
Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #74  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Rie - sorry. I meant 1000 of the Metformin. BGL was 4.7 this morning with no big low from the three :blush: glasses of wine I had last night.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #75  

Rie The truck sounds so cool. I have have a little Hyundai which I really love. But a truck would be great. Not sure I could afford to fuel it it's expensive over here.
Closed Thread