Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #91  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Butterfly The more you do it the easier it gets and the more automatic it gets, soon you will be able to do it with out having to think too much about what needs to get done. Good luck and God Bless.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hi all!

Awwww, Floriduh, Thank you so much! You really made me smile tonight.

Bonnie, it sounds like you are on your way. Now that you have your meter, you will be able to see the patterns and learn how your body reacts to different foods. This really does get easier - I promise.

Hey Cajun! Hows things with you?

Talk to you all in the morning!

Rie
Old 08-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Another flyby, but hopefully next week when the kids start school things will settle some during the day and I will be able to get back to reading and checking in with y'all.

FBG has settled down in the 1teens to 120s so I'm really pleased with that. Eating is pretty good and hope to get back down below 220 within a few days.

Hope y'all have a great weekend. Catch y'all next week.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #94  

@kari, I lost my skirt to my ankles once in the middle of a theater! Of course I was only 5 but I was mortified! Heh

@rie, wow!!! 75 pounds is AWESOME!

I finally went in for my 90 day check up a bit late… (last one was in March. LoL) But it was good! I’m down 16 pounds since March by the official Dr. scale. (which now matches my home one after I calibrated it. Darn.) And look at the rest of these nice results!

Lab Results – Mar/Aug
A1C - 8.9/6.5
Cholesterol – 212/177
LDL – high/107 (march was too high to calculate)
HDL – 25/30
Old 08-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #95  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjsspot View Post
@kari, I lost my skirt to my ankles once in the middle of a theater! Of course I was only 5 but I was mortified! Heh

@rie, wow!!! 75 pounds is AWESOME!

I finally went in for my 90 day check up a bit late… (last one was in March. LoL) But it was good! I’m down 16 pounds since March by the official Dr. scale. (which now matches my home one after I calibrated it. Darn.) And look at the rest of these nice results!

Lab Results – Mar/Aug
A1C - 8.9/6.5
Cholesterol – 212/177
LDL – high/107 (march was too high to calculate)
HDL – 25/30

this is awesome, good for you!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #96  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Here I am this morning reading was 114 I dont think that is too bad hubby was 89. We thik he is having a problem with his sugar dropping too low. we are gonna keep a eye on him. So I am gonna give this plan of their's a shot and here is what I am doing for breakfast.

1 egg
1 Fresh peach
1 slice of sara lee 45 calories whole wheat bread
1/2 cup cooked old fashoined 5 minute oats I did add a 1/2 tbs of ground flax in with them.
a tsp butter for the oats

Looks like alot of food but I need something because I work out after breakfast and the light breakfast I was having isnt enough. I will see how it goes if it dont I will make some changes.....
Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #97  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Kjsspot, great visual of skirt around your ankles. Excellent HA1C improvement. (By the way, I keep typing your name as Kisspot.)

Butterfly, nice to continue to "see" you. Isn't it great to know we CAN control this?

Rie, 75 pounds is terrific! I hope you are very proud of yourself.

Patty, good for you in coping with major lifestyle changes. I hope things are all settled down.

Well, BGL is my usual 4.4 this morning after another poor night of sleep. 3 a.m. is not a fun wake-up time unless you want to see the meteor showers which I did! The world is very quiet out behind my barn.

Challenges are on the way this weekend and next week. Friends will be at a cottage at the lake and I will be dog-sitting two of their mutts. I know they will keep insisting I join them for dinner but I am going to resist as much as I can. I may have to tell a white lie and say I am having tummy troubles as they are real food-pushers, mainly carbs. I am taking dinner there tonight as they don't get the keys until 4 PM. It'll be a lean roast of pork, green and yellow beans, spinach salad and potatoes and pie for the carb eaters.

I need to get back to exercising but even walking is still too painful.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #98  
Inspired

S/C/G: 228/195/128

Height: 5' 3"

kjsspot--WOW! Fantastic progress! From the HbA1C to your cholesterol numbers and weight loss

Bonnie--So very happy to learn you are testing now, and your classes are packed with good information. Reading those nutrition labels is an eye opening experience. Was shocked last week when I saw a little package of frozen cauliflower w/cheese sauce. The label was adorned with "WW approved" stamp too. Didn't look closely enough until I got home--that puny little box represented three portions! Had to make serious menu adjustments to accommodate the unexpected extra carbs and calories.

My numbers are goofy high last night and this morning. Late dinner, late breakfast--all around off schedule. Need to get it fixed today. Off to the pool for morning workout. Best wishes for a great day and excellent blood sugars to all!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #99  

Thanks Fatmed, Ruth & Floriduh!!

@Bonnie, not to dissuade you from your nutrition class but pay attention to your meter post prandial. My BGs don’t always see eye to eye with nutrition classes. The generally recommended diet for Diabetics is NOT friendly to me. Your meal there with the bread, the peach and the oatmeal would spike the crap outta me. I know oatmeal is great for the heart but I have not yet found a way to eat it. I remember going to my nutrition class, being REALLY proud of myself for eating such small quantities and then being really discouraged when my spikes went even higher than ever. Not everyone is the same but I have to maintain a low carb eating style which is hard because I LOVE carbs. But it’s basically meat, veggies, no potatoes, no bread, no pasta (any of the starches) and I can only take small amounts of SOME fruits, mostly berries.

Listen and learn well because you will learn a lot but don’t assume that everything they say is the gospel truth for your body. Just pay real close attention to that meter so you can start understanding what works and what doesn’t. Another thing to keep in mind, when you’re first starting out check very often. My spikes are usually well past the 2 hour mark as I have a slow digestive system. My BGs can continue to climb even 4 hours after eating.

Anyway, everyone is different and what they teach you might work great for you! Just be aware that it’s not the same for everyone so you might have to do some major tweaking.

Last edited by kjsspot; 08-13-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Good Morning!

Fbs at 76 this morning. I did 65 minutes of walking aerobics and had greek yogurt and a hard boiled egg for breakfast. I am going to be having two grilled dinners today so I will just not worry about calories and aim for low carbs.

Kjsspot, wow, great numbers. Congrats!

Bonnie, it sounds like you are doing really well. I didn't realize that your hubby is diabetic, also?

Dinner sounds really good tonight. It is so hard to help people to understand our eating habits sometimes. I think the tummy trouble strategy is good. I have used it myself at times. I sure hope that leg starts to heal soon. Have you seen a doctor about it? What do they say?

Kari, the pants falling thing is too funny! What a great visual. I had the same problem with underwear. I stood up at a meeting and felt my undies slide right off my rear. I was so glad that I was wearing slacks. It was pretty hard to keep my cool. I went to buy new ones that night.

Fatmad, Happy Saturday.

Well, I am off to the store. BBL.

Rie
Old 08-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #101  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riemontana View Post
I stood up at a meeting and felt my undies slide right off my rear. I was so glad that I was wearing slacks. It was pretty hard to keep my cool. I went to buy new ones that night.
Oh what a happy problem to have!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #102  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Morning all! For the past 4 days my blood sugar has been 119, 117, 114, and today 111, this is awesome for me!!! Weighed in this morning, stayed the same as last week but at least NO gain. Working in my hometowm store today, hubby in one of the other stores. Have a blessed day.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:30 PM   #103  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

kjsspot Yes I know what your are saying I am questioning some of what they said . I hear you should not eat corn cause it can spike your levels up and they suggest it. Jest like the oatmeal and grits.I will be tweeking alot. They told me though only to check twice a day one in the Am before breakfast and one before lunch. So how am i know what foods are affecting me in a bad way??

Rie my hubby isnt diabetic( at least no by a doc) I do think he is though he always complains how bad he feels. I gave him a sheet and asked him if he has any of these signs when he feels bad and he said yes several. I am gonna watch him and if It is because his levels drop below 70 he is going to the doctor.

I hope everyone is having a good day today I am so busy. Can't wait for school to start Monday!!!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #104  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly50 View Post
They told me though only to check twice a day one in the Am before breakfast and one before lunch. So how am i know what foods are affecting me in a bad way??
Oh ya! That's one rule you should chuck right out the window!! At least not when you're trying to figure things out.

As for your hubby, 89 isn't considered a low fasting BG. According to ADA the normal fasting range starts at 70 so 89 is just fine.

Are you going to school, teaching, or just happy the kids are starting?

Last edited by kjsspot; 08-13-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Butterfly I have a step-sister whose husband is diabetic and my Daddy told me that when he first learned he was diabetic that he tested after everything he ate and learned how certain foods effected his glucose. So when I first learned I was diabetic, I decided to do the same thing. Medicare only allows me to test once a day for as low as my FBG runs, so I bought a cheaper meter so I could purchase extra strips on my own that was cheaper than the ones the docs office gave me. I saved Medicare money and I was able to buy extra so I could test more often. Therefore, I've been able to learn how foods effected my bs. That is how I discovered that I could not eat oatmeal. I like my oatmeal with blueberries and yogurt. My blood sugar shot up over 200 mg/dl 2 hrs after eating oatmeal. I read somewhere that many diabetics who couldn't eat regular oats seemed to tolerate steel cut oats. I happened to find an organic steel cut oats at one of my stores that can be cooked the same as regular oats and tried it and found that it does not spike my bs but a few points.

kjsspot Have you tried the steel cut oats? Maybe it would work for you. Great job on the improved numbers.

Ruthie The dinner sounds great. And I like the idea of using your tummy as an excuse for not eating. Things aren't going exactly like I had hoped it would, but I'm learning all young people are the same. I actually should feel honored that my step-daughter actually acts like she did her real Mama when she was living. So I'm sure there is a loving compliment in there somewhere. LOL She is very sweet and precious young lady. She and her hubby and family just don't think. I've decided that my house will never be the same until the move into there own place. The important thing is we are helping them improve their lives for the future and I'm grateful we can help. The baby will help Nannie get loads of exercise. He is so smart.

Rie You are doing great. Congratulations on the 75 lb loss.

CatholicCajun FBG is looking great. You're doing a great job.

Fatmad, Floriduh and others reading
Closed Thread