Old 06-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #1  

Default How do you deal with diabetes and being over-weight?

How do you deal with diabetes?

I've recently been DX'ed and I am finding it very difficult. I have to use insulin injections which for me hurt at times. I find myself always weak and low on energy which is effecting my weight loss.

I am trying to use weight loss aids that work well for others but as I'm learning what works for one person don't always work for others. The constant lack of energy is the problem.

I have been 22 stone overweight for at least 3 years now, it was after my mom passed away the day before my wedding. I found comfort eating healed my pains.

Sorry I'm babbling on now. Just wondering how others deal with it.
elliejef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 272/192/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Elliejef - I was diagnosed in 2005 with type 2 diabetes. I am 56 years old and I have lost 82 pounds counting calories and exercising for 45 minutes 6 days a week. I usually walk in a beautiful park near my home and do some light weight lifting twice a week. I have pretty good diabetes control with this using minimal meds. No insulin, yet.

Sending you hugs and best wishes. This is an insidious progressive disease that will drive you nuts if you let it. Please do everything you can to take care of yourself. Believe in yourself. You can do this one day or one hour at a time. It is a slow process to gain control.
thinin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

HelloElliejef,

I was diagnosed last august. I cried for 24 hours. My first Dr appointment I cried out of control sobbing for two hours. Luckily I had found a compassionate doctor.''

You didn't describe your blood levels.some us have experienced very high levels prior to diagnosis. Most of us use some common medications to control the disease as well as associated problems like cholesteral and blood pressue medications, My doctor has also spent losts of time making me understand that this disease has probably been a part of my physical bieng for a ling time. Diabetis is a burdin, a complication that cha be managemed There are folks here who whil share thier stories with wou.

I hope that you will give us more information on you heath, you circimstances,/we will help you with learning to manage this..
Riemontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #4  

feel free to head on over to the June Cat.There aresome really experienced people there to help you
Old 06-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

What do you eat? Is is nutritious?

Can you exercise at all? Perhaps swimming or water aerobics since the water helps support your joints and you don't notice the sweat as bad?

Have you been to diabetes class?

Do you take a multivitamin?

How is your sleep quality?

I'm prediabetic and I've not done the insulin thing and I've certainly not mastered all I need to master.... but I can tell you that taking it in small steps in the early days makes it easier to get a grip on.

Try to knock off the stuff you can fix/resolve easily and then go from there.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Ellie, please keep coming here and posting. We have all been where you are and are learning to cope. What's your daily routine like?

We are all on different diet plans and have learned there is no "one size fits all". Some of us lose, some of us gain and some of us stay the same but we are working on improving our lives.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #7  

Just wanted to say sorry for my intelligible post last night. I was up late and not feeling well. I should have previewed that post.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

I hope things are going well. Do you see an endocrinologist to help you manage your diabetes? I'm guessing based on your post that you may be experiencing a lot of ups and downs with your blood sugar. First, before attempting weight loss, I'd try to get that under control and stable. First, you'll have more energy when your blood sugars are stabilized and you'll feel so much better. Second, losing weight does enough wacky stuff to your blood sugar levels that would be difficult to manage if things were out of control to begin with.

Diabetes sucks.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Ellie has not been back here since her original post. I do hope she comes back. Yes, diabetes sucks but it can be managed.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote