Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #46  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Sure is lonely in here.

Weight is still the same but darned FBGL is up to 7.2 this morning. I'm not sure why unless it was a few nibbles of white chocolate chips last night as I got baking organized for today.
Well, two of our regulars are away, and rosebud to the north hasn't been on much for a while. I suspect some of our friends are lurking quietly.

I have been away a lot.
FBS this am was 5.8, and has been reasonable before and after meals when testing this week.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #47  
Madeleine

Ahh, a rare really good and long sleep last night. Had been working during the night before and slept a while during the day, but had some catching up to do. Feeling more alive now!. Had sushi last night at a friend's birthday supper, and overdid it a bit. The table ordered too much and we had to finish it all.....LOL. And I did say I was going to stop eating sushi, but wanted more than just sashimi.....
thats what we get for going to an all you can eat place, we overeat.
Weight is steady today, it seems to take a day or so to catch up. I will stay on plan today and see what happens.
Its a beautiful and warm day today, so that helps a lot. Hope this weather lasts a bit!
Old 05-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Everyone! Back on the air....

It sounds like you are all doing well. Everyone is taking good care of themselves.

I really enjoyed my trip and I managed my blood sugars very well except for the one evening that I succumbed to mango margaritas... bs was 171 at bedtime, an unheard of number for me. Other that that, I managed to eat wonderful food that was probably bad for the scale but good for the blood sugar. I plan to try and be very good for a while.....

I had fun wearing all my new clothes and feeling good. I actually had a couple guys flirt with me - a totally new experience. It was fun!

A couple of days ago, I stumbled and hurt my bad knee. I don't see the Dr till tuesday. But, I am spending the weekend with pain meds and ice packs so getting back to aerobics will have to wait for a couple of days. I guess it will be ok, my grandson really missed me so we will spend time together. I am dreading the dr appt, and really hoping that I can avoid another cortisone shot. Traveling yesterday was really hard with all the walking through airports so I am glad to be home.

Fatmad, sorry that your work is still pretty stressful. Hopefully the better schedule will allow you some time to take care of yourself. It will be nice to hear from you. We miss you when you get busy and you aren't around much.

Ruth, hang in there. Keep taking care of yourself and the ticker will respond. I am glad that your Dr friend helped you with meds. They are so outrageously expensive!
Trish, I hope that you are having a good time and avoiding floods.

BBL!
Old 05-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #49  

Hi all! New here and will give a synopsis of myself. May, 2007 I was diagnosised with T2 diabetes. I weighed in at 183. 5'1" all stomach. Lol have been low carb since but am getting so tired of it. My dr wants me to have 100 a day. I'm at about 30-40. I am down to 125 but have in the last few weeks been fighting to keep it there and this morning was 127.8. ( what is everyone else doing. Watching just carbs or calories more or ??? I see, agh I can't remember her name is doing a carb lovers. Did you change from something else. At 64 I'm thinking I can ease up on the tight control, fbg always under 100, A1c 5.3, because I'm old enough that if I don't have perfect numbers the damage won't happen until I'm dead! Lol My dad had diabetes for about 40 yrs. I'll be dead before then! Thanks for your answers in advance Karen
Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #50  

Hello Knorris! Welcome.

I don't know what everyone else is doing. I try to eat about 60 to 90 carbs per day with an eye toward calories as well. I try to simply eat moderately and use portion control, with lots of green veggies.

I don't know about when your complications would show up, but I think you can probably have a few more carbs and still maintain control. We have talked about this here before: it is often the type of carbs and each person's response to them that matters.

Anyway, welcome to you! I hope that you hang out with us. Congrats on such a huge weight loss. Good job
Old 05-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #51  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi, Karen, and welcome. Congrats on your excellent weight loss. Your numbers look just great. I'm doing South Beach which seems to work just fine for me - if I stick to it. I am also on Victoza which is supposed to lower my HA1C. It hasn't done that so far, but I'm hopeful for my June bloodwork.

Montana ... mango margarita. Yum! That's almost as good as a flirt! I hope you thoroughly enjoyed both.

Well, finally my FBGL is down to 4.2 this morning AND ... drumroll ... my ticker is correct at 182 after being stuck most of the month. There's help for the 170s in June!

I never though I'd say this but my biggest problem lately is eating enough. I don't have much (any) appetite and need to force myself to eat veggies. I do take a multi-vitamin but that's not the same, especially when I forget to take it. "We get too soon old and too late smart."

Time to crank up Sunday and plan my meals for the week. Then FOLLOW the plan!
Old 05-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #52  

Hey Ruth. Congrats on the ticker!

I hear you about the appetite thing. I feel that, for myself, it is not so much a lack of appetite but my relationship with food has changed a lot. Food is fuel - mostly - not pleasure. Sometimes it makes it less attractive. I know that I enjoy some of my planned snacks like yogurt better than full meals. Like you, I need a plan or I just can't manage it.

My knee is really bad so I haven't done anything this weekend. I am worried that the doc will want to do a cortisone injection. It always hurts so much afterward and my blood sugar goes scary high. It really frightens me. I am going to call my endo tomorrow and talk to him about it.

Hang in there everybody. Stay on plan - mostly. Talk to you tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #53  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Hello

Back with you all again in the morning. I'm done with all the excitment around here. Deaths, sickness, time to look after ME. I won't get into it all, but it's been a long drawn out time.

Low carb here I come, since the doctor took me off the one med that I was taking, I don't need to worry about the lows that I used to get.

I joined Spark People, and they have a great diabetes program there and they have lots of low carb recipes and a great diabetes group.

Be back in the AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #54  
Come on Spring!

Welcome back, Lindyloo, and so sorry about all the problems. Yes, sometimes we need to make ourselves a priority.

The ticker held over the holiday weekend, maybe because I turned down two dinner invitations for Saturday and Sunday. I even cooked and enjoyed the process. It was a sort of pasta primavera sauce with asparagus and herbs from the garden. I was able to eat only half the small serving though! At least I have some meals in the stash now. Frozen LC dinners are now banished from my house!

Weight is holding and BGL was an acceptable 5.2 this morning.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #55  
Madeleine

welcome back Lindyloo, and Montana, hope your knee gets better.
Karen, glad for you to join us too. Ruth, I am a little jealous of your success.

I do low carb, and do best there, and since I am almost 50, I do want to be careful with my sugars. I really feel the effects of non-vegetable carbs.
Get draggy and sleepy with grains especially, so even if I have a little lunch-bag letdown from time to time, I plan to stay low carb. On the atkin thread there are people who have been low carb for years.
Since you are hovering around goal, why not up the carbs a bit, with careful watch of glycemic index and how well you do, (so you will need to calorie count a bit) and see how it goes? NO, I don't think we can go back to a lot of cereal for breakfast, but maybe steel cut oats cooked in milk or soy milk, with careful portion control, would be reasonable to try for a change. I also have greek full fat yogurt for breakfast (can't do the oatmeal spikes me too much) with some chopped nuts when I get tired of eggs. This morning I had left over steak, cut into strips and fried with mushrooms for breakfast.
I take metformin twice a day, and exercise pretty regularly.
I am expecting a really regular sleep schedule for the next 6 weeks, (except the jet lag on my trip) so hope that will help "everything" get in shape.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #56  

Hi all,

The discussion on carbs is really good. It is interesting how our bodies react differently to different carbs. Even the glycemic index is only a guide because I have had to learn what carbs cause me to spike and which ones don't. I eat a single packet of instant oatmeal with a scant teaspoon of natural peanut butter almost every morning. My doctor and the nutritionist were really on me about eggs - but I am learning that they may be more healthy than we are led to believe. I am also quite happy with a protein shake but I try to stick to real food.

I have been learning that I need to balance carbs with protein. Weird, but I really react more to carbs without some protein.

Fatmad I am glad that your regular schedule will allow you to get some rest. I notice that everything works better if I can keep to some sort of schedule.

There is quite a thread on here about cinnamon and chromium. Anyone using them? My dad swears by cinnamon so I started taking it but I stopped because I thought it was giving me heartburn. Anyone else have any luck?

Tomorrow I am going to lift weights from a chair. Must workout somehow. I hope everyone has a good night.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #57  
Come on Spring!

Fully expected another higher FBGL reading this morning as I had pasta AND crackers for supper last night but my reading was 4.2. I am actually considering doing lower carb for a while to budge a few more pounds but will monitor to ensure my BGL doesn't bottom out.

What's the best thing to bring very low readings back up? Five Alive? Chocolate milk? Glucose tablets?
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #58  
Linda

S/C/G: 182/169/135

Height: 5' 2

Good morning ladies!!

It's been raining here for two days straight and isn't supposed to quit for another 3 days. I guess we need it though, so I really can't complain.

FBG was 6.8 this morning which is good for me. Yesterday it was 7.8. I don't know why as I didn't overdo on anything??

The house is still up for sale, but I think we have it overpriced as we have only had one showing. I guess we'll have to lower it.

Welcome Karen. The ladies here are very helpful.

Must go and do some work, and maybe go for a walk in the rain.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #59  

Good morning!

fbs at 92 this morning which was good considering that I didn't sleep well and I haven't been able to work out for several days.

Ruth, I like to use low sugar juice for lows because I don't get a rebound effect. My dr switched me from glypizide to januvia and I don't really get lows anymore. I am always careful about glucose tabs or other straight sugar because it can cause me to go from low to high very fast and that isn't comfortable. But, I carry a piece of hard candy with me when I am hiking or fishing.

BBL
Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #60  

I didn't need a cortisone shot but I have a torn quadricept and probably a partially ruptured quad tendon. Bummer. I have a new brace and I am looking at a minimum 30 day recovery. Gonna have to figure out new cardio to do in the short term. I don't know what to do.
Closed Thread