Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #76  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI everyone, managed to stick to plan today, and even did well with yesterday, even though we had supper out for DD birthday. Am tired, have been busy with work a lot these last few days, and am looking forward to a 3 day weekend off coming up Thursday evening.
Just feel generally tired, I am not able to have my cpap on all night, and I think overall I am not getting enough quality sleep. Am trying to get back to the sleep clinic to see if I need an adjustment after losing weight.
I want to lose another 10 pounds for the summer, and that is going to take some work. Got to yoga on Saturday anyhow, but otherwise the days have been too long and busy to get out much. We will see what tomorrow brings!
Keep up the good work, I won't comment on everyone's posts, but I sure enjoy reading the updates.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #77  

Hi everyone!
I had my diabetes class on Thursday. So overwhelming! It's been a month since my diagnosis and I'm still in the "are you sure/are you kidding/good grief" stage. Now I'm trying to learn how to count carbs. I'm seriously getting headaches from all this reading.

My blood sugars are all over the place. I am taking metformin (500 mg) in the morning only. I wake up with high sugars (120's), during the day my sugars get down to 64 sometimes. My sugar was 64 last night before dinner and I made the HORRIBLE mistake of going to a Chinese Buffet. I had been SO good for a month and just wanted to PLLLEEEEESSSEEEE have something FRIED, like an egg roll and I woke up with a BS of 122. AND 3 extra pounds!

Sometimes it's just not even worth getting out of bed...somebody PLEASE pinch me and get me out of this nightmare!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #78  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, Mamaduck, we are all in the same boat. You just have to accept this and, believe me, it will come. As my DH used to say "When you examine the alternatives ..." Diabetes is no longer the death sentence it once was and we can live long and healthy lives these days.

My BGL has been pretty good these days so something is working. I realize I'll probably never be "normal" but will have to be content with being "well controlled". I did not take my Victoza for a few days and now know that it definitely was inhibiting my appetite. I found myself thinking of buying gummy bears yesterday and drooling over the Cadbury mini eggs! I did a Chinese-type meal last night so my ticker is lying by two pounds this morning. Today will be a big day for water and veggies.

After over six weeks, my sore back seems to have left me so some gentle treadmill is on today's schedule. Maybe I'll get back to the gym next week. I need to get the old body limbered up for gardening.

Keep in keepin' on, chickies.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #79  
Madeleine

Mamaduck, you know you didn't overeat so much as to gain 3 pounds, but chinese food is a notorious one for adding back water weight, and it will go off with clean eating for a bit.
I have a snow day, have cancelled clinic, so hoping not to get called out unless the roads are cleared and safe. But it does mean I might get skiing this weekend! GOnna stay home in my jammies for now, and maybe DD and I will do a yoga class online later. Also, there is snow shovelling and playing with the dog in the snow. I haven't had a snow day in a while, and thinking of the fun is better than grumbling about the fact that it doesn't look like spring out there, there is 3 inches of snow with more coming!
No excuses not to eat well today, so here I go!
Ruth, you get cracking on the treadmill, and stay controlled on those sugars.
Mine are doing beautifully these days, though my weight is pretty stagnant.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:23 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Well, I haven't been here in a while. Been reading a lot of diabetic threads on other sites. My eating has pretty much settled now. I'm doing my own version of combining some low carb Atkins like with the CAD/CALP and my FBG was 110 this morning. 2 hrs after breakfast of just a 1 Minute Muffin with 2 T Polermar (sp) apricot jam on it my BS was only 113 mg/dl. 2 hrs after the RM where I do eat starchy carbs my BS was 122. Took it 2 hrs after a Craving-Reducing Meal and it was 110. I'm learning that the CM and snacks have to be protein and low carb veggies and the Reward Meal has to be salad, protein and the starchy carbs. So I'm having 4 or 5 small/mini meals rather than larger meals to make this BS come down and stay level. I decided to settle with the CAD/CALP idea because when I told doc that I couldn't eat all those carbs, he said "eat them earlier in the day". I eat them at my main meal between 2 and 3 in the afternoon. I take my 1000 mg Met then. Since he told me that I could take up to 2000 mg if I could handle it, I'm halfing a pill and taking it with my last snack of the day. Started that yesterday. As long as it works, I can learn to live with it

Mamaduck - I know this gets frustrating at times. Your numbers are really pretty good i they are staying 122 or less. My doc told me that my numbers were good for being on Metformin since it doesn't work like most diabetic meds. Just keep working at finding what works for you. I really don't want to come off of Metformin because it doesn't cause the lows other do and it also is supposed to help a person lose weight and I read that it works better with low carb.

Ruthie - Glad your appetite is back. I love those little peeps made with marshmellows. Saw them in the store the other day and actually thought of getting some and then thought "made with pure sugar" and came to myself and walked away. Feels so good to resist those things doesn't it?

Mad - So glad you are getting some much deserved time off.

Jendiet, Rosebud and Everybody else Hope you are doing well.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #81  
Come on Spring!

Well, I have been attacked by those darned Cadbury Eggs! Once again I forgot my Victoza and my evil spirit bought the eggs rationalizing that they were only 190 calories. I am a sugar addict because I was tempted later to get some more but did resist. Gotta get a grip!

Today I will do the meds and treadmill before I start anything else for the day. My health has to be my priority. FBGL was 6.2 this morning, too high for me.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #82  
Madeleine

Trish, glad you are finding a good balance. Sticking to it sounds possibile, and the small meals are helpful. I have trouble with that, I don't calorie count well, and wind up having five regular meals. My body isn't happy having small ones, keeps asking for more. We are all different with different needs and different things work. Stuck to plan nicely yesterday, and was rewarded with a 1/2 pound loss, so almost true to ticker again. Going for the loss in the next few weeks, so I am donw 10 pounds for summer. Giving myself until my trip in June.
Ruth: stay away from the eggs! I too am a sugar-holic and choco-holic, so I am totally with you. I am gonna try a recipe for some almond-chocolate muffins that are low carb, so if they turn out nicely, I will let you know, and you could make some for Easter if you like.
Mamaduck:how are your sugars? are you doing ok?
Happy Friday friends, I am going cross-country skiing in a bit. Weekend off!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #83  

F R I D A Y
Hey everyone!
I guess you know I'm glad it's Friday. LOL I was SO depressed earlier this week because of my sugars being wacky, but MAD!, thanks for asking, the last three days have been pretty controlled. Morning 90's and evening 90's.

Thank you for asking. Next week, is my final diabetes education class. I'm learning more and more about the choices I make. But I must say, I am NOT losing weight on metformin. I don't want everyone thinking it's some magical weight loss pill. It is helping me keep my sugars under control and I thank GOD for that! My first and foremost priority is my sugars. The weight loss will come with time.

P.S. Eeeeeekkkk! That's what I get for bragging. My pre-dinner BS was 66. Ugh.

Anyway, hey it's FRIDAY!!!!

Last edited by mamaduck; 03-25-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #84  

A quick one here. My FBG was 108 this morning down a tad more. Highest BS reading so far has been 138 which I'm very pleased. I am very pleased with how things are going.

Mad Thanks. You know it has taken me 10 mos trying to find what will work for me and help me get my BG under control. They have been all over the place as Mamaduck says whacky. That is why I've gone back to testing 2 -3 hrs after every meal and snack again to find out how my body reponds to certain foods. I have learned that just because a food is considered "diabetic friendly" does not mean it is "Trish friendly". This is how my step-sister's DH learned to control his diabetes and still has it under control after all these 8 or 9 years. BTW CONGRATS on the 1/2 lb loss. My weight loss seems to be slow these days and every lb, 1/2 or whatever is a blessing.

Mamaduck No the Metformin pill is NOT a magical weight loss pill although it is used for weight loss or people without diabetes. It has to be used with diet and exercise or it doesn't work. And I'm not sure it works or everybody. I'm thankul that it does seem to curb my appetite. Actually you are doing all the things needed to get things working for you and that is educating yourself. That is the only way I think we can actually get control of diabetes for ourself. I still do a lot of research in order to stay on top of it.

Ruthie We must do our best to stay away from those eggs and peeps. WE CAN DO IT!!! I don't think I can stay our of the store until after Easter so I'll just have to make that isle OFF LIMITS!!! LOL

Y'all have a nice weekend.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-25-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #85  
Madeleine

Well, I used the snow day of Wednesday to good effect today. Went for what is likely my last cross-country ski of the winter. I went 15 km! Thats about 5 more than my usual "big" ski. Took me 2 1/2 hours. I am exhausted. I was really hungry afterward, and went out with DH for supper. I did eat the bread and potatoes that came with the meal, and we still hungry afterward. But we left without ordering dessert. Had a little custard when I got home. Now am fighting the evening hungries, but may manage just by falling asleep!
Had a hot jacuzzi when we got home, I am sore and stiff all over, on the same day. I will plan to drag myself to hot yoga tomorrow to work off the stiffness.
Lets hope all the exercise will be reflected in my sugars tomorrow.
Mamaduck and Trish, that frequent testing is the best way to tweak your diets, at least thats what I found too. Interestingly, I am not so sensitive to carbs these days, but I don't lose weight unless I lower them, but have been maintaining at 40g carbs/day. Have even had a few times where I really cheated and had chocolate bars/desserts etc and have not had significant spikes the way I used to. So the metformin and weight loss have been working. I am still overweight though and want to get to a lower and healthier weight to keep the diabetes at bay for as long as possible. You are on the right track to get yours under control!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #86  
Come on Spring!

Quick check-in. BGL is fine but ticker is still lying. Of course, toasted hot cross buns do not help.

I need to get more exercise and have been using a sore back as an excuse. Since I live in a small village, there is no reason to use my car as much for short runs. Walking down and back for the mail would be less than 30 minutes - unless I meet someone and talk! This week I'll get back to doing that. And then there's the gym. My membership expires in April and I need to decide whether to renew or not.

Keep on truckin', Chickies.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #87  
Madeleine

Fasting of 5.7 today. My fastings have not been below 5.5 the whole time on metformin, I seem stable but not sure if they should be lower. Anyhow, that is in spite of having a peanut butter and jam sandwich before bed. I couldn't stop being hungry even after a good supper. Have to work on this, can't lose weight if I can't stick to plan!
Ruth: the gym membership thing is hard for me too. I gave mine up when we moved to the countryside, but we have to make sure we are still getting exercise. It doesn't make a lot of sense to drive to workout, although thats what I do with yoga now. But instead of a membership, I got a pass for 50 classes so its much cheaper per class, but if I miss a while (like at Christmas, when I was resting my heel and I didn't go for 2 weeks) I don't feel badly. I started with buying a couple of 10 class passes, and then bought the 50 (best deal) but they also have monthly passess which is the best deal for those who can come daily. Mine doesn't expire which was a big plus.
Is there something at the gym where you can plan to go when in town a couple of times a week? If you don't go, are there things you can and WILL do at home?
I am not good with doing stuff at home, other than going out for walks, which is not enough to keep me in complete shape. I have to admit, when I lived in town, I got a curves membership for a while, and it was that where I got into really regular (at least every two days) exercise. I NEVER went less than 3 times a week. I liked it better than a gym, but I did have a gym membership for a while because I got tired of the "circuit" . I managed to get my money's worth, but didn't enjoy it as much.
I am surprised I don't feel more stiff and creaky today after how sore I was last night.
Well, off to yoga friends, have a nice weekend.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 AM   #88  
Come on Spring!

Mad, yes it seems silly to drive to the gym but it's a ten minute drive so would not be walkable. I don't do classes for many reasons - one is that I hate competitiveness - shades of high school gym class! I am thinking back to how good I felt going to the gym three times a week last spring and may just do it! Maybe a three month membership?

I need to get back into a routine. Once again I have forgotten my morning meds and will go and do them right now! I need a keeper. You'd think the dogs could remind me instead of just sleeping on the couch.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #89  

A quick one here as I have to head out to beauty shop in a few minutes to get beautified. haha My FBG this morning was 101 mg/dl and weight is down 3 lbs this morning. A great start with new woe.

Mad & Ruthie I need to get to some exercising myself. Since I don't do well with that at the moment, I am trying to get out more and walk around stores, etc.

Have a good one.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #90  

Hi Mad, Trish, and Ruthie!
You are up early this morning! Thanks for the encouragement and advice. This morning my FBS was 128. Last night, before dinner it was 66. So....when my FBS is 128, do I eat?? I'm hungry. So I do and feel dizzy as ever. I know I've only been diagnosed a month, but this really is the pits. I have my books to read to find out how to live my life again. Nothing will ever be the same. The more I learn, the more I'll be willing to accept the changes. So many years of being one way, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

Had snow last night. About 2 inches. Good grief! I've got laundry to do today and cut and bath the dog. Have a great day!!

Hello to everyone who comes later...
Closed Thread