Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 05:58 AM   #16  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

So much to think about!

I did eat more carbs than usual last night because I was afraid of a very low FBGL today. I go for bloodwork at 8:15 and am really craving coffee right now. I hid the coffee pot last night so I wouldn't go onto auto pilot and make some this morning. I'm sipping hot water and keeping very warm so my blood will be nice and "runny" for Nurse Dracula. I think she needs seven vials this morning as Dr Jack wants to repeat the tests he did before I started Victoza.

Breakfast is going to taste really, really good today!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #17  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Oh Ruth, hope all goes well with the blood tests, and that your blood indeed flows nice and easy, for your sake. And have a great breakfast. I know what you mean about auto pilot, I sometimes make and start drinking tea, and completely forget I was going to do a fbs.
Well, I am having oatmeal for breakfast. Must be sure to measure it!
Thanks for the suggestions on calorie counting friends. WW does points, of about 50 cals. Hard part for me is measuring out the food into servings. DOn't have to do that on atkins in general, especially once I got used to carb servings. Will have to relearn a few things.
Having oatmeal for breakfast, making a red cabbage (with walnuts and blue cheese) slaw salad for potluck today.
Have a good day everyone.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #18  

I just want to pop in here and thank you all! I have learned SO much from your posts after being dx two weeks ago. I've ordered the book you suggested, Trish (The First Year Type Two Diabetes) and the book Diabetes for Dummies. I am truly a dummie about this disease. Also Rosebud thank you for the link for the NO DIET! This is all totally new to me! Thank you.

The week has gone so fast for me. It's bittersweet. I love the weekends but don't want my life to rush away from me. Bracing for yet another snowstorm in South Dakota over the weekend...

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by mamaduck; 03-03-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ruth I hope the blood work turns out really good for you and the blood flows nicely too.

Madeleine Would South Beach work for you since you can have some of steele cut oats and some of the other things you want. Depending on how things go with the Atkins which I totally am enjoying right now, I am remembering that there is always South Beach if I want to change later or need too.

Mamaduck I felt the same way you do when I started all this and at one point felt completely overwhelmed and confused. I am so thankful for all the books and websites like 3fc where we can get answers from other diabetics. My doctor gave me 3 different diets I could try when I was diagnosed. Years ago when I went through this, the doctor I had then gave me a diet and told me "I can't tell you what to eat. You will find your own way". That is what I've come to realize is that we have to find our own way of controlling this. I like the phrase "I'm learning to manage my own health".

Day 3 on AI and not really hungry. Got up early for DH to go have blood drawn and then ran by Walmart for a prescription refill he needed. I told the girl in pharmacy about what I had learned about the Metformin and grapefruit. I told her they need to tell people. Couldn't tell if she knew that or not. She seemed embarrassed when I told her that they need to tell people about it.

Well, I think I'm going to take a nap.

Lindyloo, Rosebud, Pampgirl, MrsMBunnieXI and others reading this

Hope everybody had a great day.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #20  
Come on Spring!

Whew! Darlene aka Dracula managed to hit a vein first time and filled all her vials. Boy breakfast tasted good afterward, especially the coffee part.

Tonight's supper will be a major veggie stir-fry with a chicken breast plus the last of my shiritaki noodles. I'm not sure if I'll order them again - they are expensive and I think ww pasta is much better.

I hope your day is going well.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #21  

OMGoodness!!It's finally FRIDAY!!
Old 03-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #22  
Come on Spring!

Happens every week, Mamaduck. Try not to get too excited.

Today is going to be a stress-free day which will segue into a stress-free weekend as I want to be calm, cool and collected for my Monday a.m. appointment with Dr Jack. I also want to ditch some water weight so I can move my frassing ticker before then. Food will be low salt the next three days which means none of those frozen commercial dinners or my own pea and bean soups.

We are still way too icy and dangerous for walking but rain and warmer temps are expected over the weekend so there's hope.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #23  

Mammaduck Sounds like you need a relaxing weekend. Hope you get it.

Ruthie You are so funny Hope you have a good docs appt with Dr. Jack.

This is D4 on my low carb. I'm not sure I can call it Atkins Induction but I am sticking to the 20 g carbs at least for a while. I am thrilled to say that I've dropped 6.5 of the 11 lbs I had gained which I know was water but I don't think it would have come off anyway other than low carb. That is the main thing I always liked about low carb. I'm also happy to report that my FBS has 109 for 3 days now and actually hit an 84 before my main meal today. I don't remember if I've shared this or not, but I always loved Intuitive Eating ideas and I'm using it with low carb. I am learning to learn what I really love to eat on low carb and making my plan around it mainly because IE teaches to eat what when you are hungry... eat what you love... eat until your satisfied and then stop eating. And I have to say that low carb makes it really easy to do this. So I'm pleased to say that I believe I have finally learned what works for me.

Rosebud, Madeleine, and all others reading Hi

Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #24  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI ~ we have been having a lovely week full of and very mild temps today (0 C or 32 F). A bit of ***** did fall during the night -- but it wasn't that much really. DH is starting to whine about all the snow; but I don't mind it. I just keep telling him that we only have about 3 weeks before it all starts to melt; and that isn't that long really ...

My left knee is really starting to feel better; still taking it easy as I want it to heal up well so I can walk better outside by spring. I want to enjoy the summer when we go up to our camping lot, where the ground isn't that level, so I need stronger legs by then.

I stayed home this week (after getting a few groceries on Monday); and DH did all the errands which he enjoys anyways (gives him something else to do). We had baked fish & chips (I had a few sweet potato fries) with coleslaw and sliced tomatoes for a quick & easy dinner tonight. Had a good week too ...

Hope you all have a wonderfull weekend and lots of good numbers ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-04-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #25  
Come on Spring!

Nice relaxing day yesterday doing just what I wanted to do. Food was fine and I even enjoyed making and eating my chicken and veggie stir-fry for dinner. I indulged in some wine since I found a bottle when I finally cleaned out my fridge. Weight is NOT up from Chinese sauce (I used Hoisin) but FBGL was a tad low this morning. I forgot that shirataki noodles are not really a carb.

It's supposed to rain all day today which will lower the snow levels. Mother Nature is going to top us up with more snow tomorrow though! I'm hoping to get the ice off my decks before that happens. That'll be my exercise today - wearing rain gear.

Happy weekend!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 280/278.4/140

Height: 5'2''

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I really needed that. I know now that this is something I can not take a vacation from. I have started monitoring my sugar like I'm suppose to. Since starting on Tuesday trying to live a healthier life I have went from 278 pounds to 268. I know it's mostly water but hey its better than nothing. I look forward to the day I can buy an item of clothing that doesn't have the number 2 in it. With the help of the Good Lord and encouragement from everyone I think I can still in it for the long haul. Thanks and have a Blessed Day.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #27  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

RUTH ~ I agree with TRISH; I luv your sense of humor -- and I know that MUMMYDUCK knows that you are just teasing her. Of course, that's just one of the reasons I look forward to your posts, but no pressure there ...

We are being blessed with another day and temps have come up to -1 C -- not bad for March really. Just doing laundry today so I can come in here to play at the same time; I have lots of these timing-saving strategies to get more things done at once. I bake a lot of one-pot oven meals and like using my crockpot to save on dishes and work. I did enuff cooking for a large family, and working as a short-order cook as well (but I did cook some fine-dining type meals in two places I worked in also).

TRISH ~ glad you are having success with your new personal plan: Atkins Induction and IE (Intuitive Eating) working together. Nice to see good numbers and weight-loss at the same time!

MRS.BUNNY ~ congrats to you too; that's a great start anyways! Yes, sooner or later, we all have to come to the realization that this is a life-time journey back to good health!

Have a great weekend ladies (and any lurking GENTS) ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-05-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:15 PM   #28  

Well, now I have to find another allergy med because the one I take causes my FBG to go up. The combination of allergy med and little to no sleep, my FBG was 149 mg/dl this morning. I had to go to get my hair done and to the store and got back home about 4 hrs later and checked BG and it was 85 mg/dl. So I'm sure the way I'm eating is working and I'm equally sure the allergy med is the problem. I think I'll check online to see what I can find out.

Have a good day.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #29  
Madeleine

hi all. Have been MIA for a bit. I think I will try south beach for a while. I do want some healthy carbs, but a good plan is needed or I will be eating too many carbs in no time. I have the book so will get groceries this weekend and start Monday.
On the good side, DD and I had a good talk and are working on things will. There were heartfelt apologies on both sides. This felt really good, as I felt I could not go forward without apologies on her part. I now feel like I can let go of a lot of anger. I was trying not to hold on to it, but I couldn't let go of it completely. Gives me a picture of how hard it is for people when the person you are in conflict with dies. (I am thinking of parents or siblings of course, I would be devasted if anything happened to DD.)
One thing is, we had the conversation with out DH in the room. One thing we got from counselling is that she and I take turns as bad guy and victim, with DH being the rescuer. SO we left him out of most of our discussion today. Worked well!
We are going to try new counsellors, since none of us loved the previous ones, which is why we didn't go back after Christmas holidays.
What does all this have to do with blood sugars and diet? I expect a lot.
I have been working really hard not to engage in emotional eating, and for the most part, have had success. Sometimes I do succumb, but I don't wallow, and get back to plan.
Well, a good vent.
I am happy to read everyone's news, and hope we all have a good weekend.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #30  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
Well, now I have to find another allergy med because the one I take causes my FBG to go up. The combination of allergy med and little to no sleep, my FBG was 149 mg/dl this morning. I had to go to get my hair done and to the store and got back home about 4 hrs later and checked BG and it was 85 mg/dl. So I'm sure the way I'm eating is working and I'm equally sure the allergy med is the problem. I think I'll check online to see what I can find out.

Have a good day.
What have you been taking Trish? decongestants have a lot of side effects, including affecting blood sugar. (also might cause urinary retention, and therefore UTI's!) Plain reactine or claritin, (not the ones with added decongestants) are good. I am using nasonex right now, quite happily. works great, but need a prescription. its a steroid you spray into the nose, but is locally acting only.
hope you find something that works for you and your sugars
Closed Thread