Type I Diabetics???

• Maybe I am an oddball, but I am Type 1 and overweight.

I have been T1 since I was 13 years old. I am now 40. In my youth, I did not struggle with weight, probably because I was so active in HS and College. But after college the "real world" set in and I went from 120 to 200+. My family in general has weight issues - parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I am thinking we are descendent from over-weight hobbits (LOL).

I have tried many diets. In November 2010, I started on Ideal Protein (IP) and have had good results. I am on the alternative plan which forces me to eat more carbs. For T1, there is a concern of going into ketoacidosis with a low-carb diet, but I cannot figure this out as I have always been told that ketoacidosis is a result of high blood sugar, and I am certainly having excellent blood sugars from being on a lower carb diet...an virtually no lows. Basically I am not getting the spike/crash phenominon that I was when I was eating more carbs.

Does anyone else have any experience with being Type1 and trying a low-carb diet?

I am successful with the IP alternative plan, just takes longer.
  • sorry no one has answered you! I guess most of us who come daily are type 2. You are certainly welcome here. I know Ruth has to watch how low carb she goes because of one of her meds.
  • Yo! I rep t1! I was diagnosed as a baby though
    I was born a "chubby baby' and kinda struggled with being overweight until I started my journey May 1, 2010
  • Welcome Kelly Marie! I don't know if you lurk here much, and haven't heard from K9trainer since that post, but do feel welcome.
    Type 1 people need support too!