Old 06-19-2006, 01:42 PM   #1  

Question Byetta- any experiences to share?

My doctor gave me a prescription for Byetta this morning. I am waiting to hear from their hotline on how it is covered by insurance. My A1c went from 14.4% the end of March to 9%. My bg levels are looking much better, but still a little high. He is hoping this, along with glimepiride and metformin will bring the levels into the normal range, but help me see some results on the scale from all the exercising I have been doing. (about 60 minutes a day in 2 30 min. sessions) I am wondering what to expect, and if anyone has any tips to share. Thanks!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

I have nothing to share other than that I thought this post was by a spammer, and I came to check it out.
Love ya, Monet. I hope the new meds work!!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/241/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi,

I've been on byetta since october. At that time, my doc took me off of actos, glucotrol, and glucophage and I started on the Byetta 10... most start on the 5. I'm not sure why he started me on the 10 but he did.

The first few weeks were tough with nausea and sometimes vomiting... until I learned some changes that worked for me... I've learned that I HAVE to have some protein when I take the shot... prior to byetta, my breakfast was often dry cereal and a piece of fruit as I went out the door... now I have to have some protein... some yogurt, cheese, pnut butter... doesn't take much, but do need something or I'll be sick.

I've also learned for me that lettuce is a no-no at the time of the shot... I don't eat much lettuce now... I can eat all the other stuff you put in a salad, but not the lettuce.... If I eat the lettuce, I get very bloated, and have the worst tasting and smelling burps... and then the next day, some diarhea... Byetta slows down the digestion and it almost feels like the lettuce just ferments or something. I've also discovered if I eat the wrong foods (too much sugar etc) I'll have the burps too... I know it's gross but that's what happens with me. Yesterday was a junk food day for me... fast food breakfast, fried chicken, pizza.... and i'm paying the piper today...

Different people have different effects of foods... I've also had to learn to stop eating when i'm just feeling full... if I try to push it too much, I'll be sick... but it also decreases my appetite, especially when I first started. I remember in that first month I was at a conference and the lunch provided was a chick fil a sandwich, a bag of chips and a browinie... Prior to byetta, I would have eaten it all with no hesitation (well, not the brownie)... with Byetta, I made myself eat 1/2 the sandwich, 2 or 3 chips and 1 bite of brownie.

I now have to make sure I have things around to keep my level up. On the other meds, I never really had problems with my level bottoming out... now it does if I'm not careful... when I start getting nauseous and vomiting, a lot of times it because my blood sugar is too low... it's been in the 50's several times.... talk about feeling yuk!

I travel a lot and have found a stanless steel thermos to work best for me.... I put the pen in a ziplock bag, and drop it in the thermos with a couple of ice cubes. In the winter, it will hold it for a couple of days... now that it's summer here in Alabama and HOT!! I have to add ice at times... but ice isn't hard to get... if all else fails, I get some from a drink when eating out... the travel pouch they send isn't too bad, but it only holds the temp for a couple of hours... I live in a small town and drive 1 hour to dothan or columbus fairly often... I've found I use the thermos more... I also camp a lot and the thermos or cooler has been fine for me...

for me, the Byetta has worked. I'm off other diabetic meds and my HbgA1C is great- around 5.... but that's where it was prior ot byetta too... my doc started me on it for the side affect of weight loss... no matter how hard I tried to lose prior to byetta i was gaining.... very frustrating.... now, I've lost 30 or so pounds since October, my eating has decreased and for the most part, feel great.... there are those days of yuk, but as I learn what to watch for, it gets better...

hmmm.... that's all I can think of right now... hope I didn't throw too much at you....

Reba/AL
RebaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 PM   #4  

No you did not throw too much at me! This is exactly what I am looking for...someone who has used it and can give me some insight and tips. I will remember what you said about lettuce...and protein. I tend towards a high protein breakfast anyway. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #5  

I am also in a yahoo group for byetta users... it has given some great tips too.

Reba
Old 06-20-2006, 07:38 PM   #6  

I took the first injection tonight. I did a pre-meal glucose check...120. Not too bad, but not great. I was feeling 'woozy' after dinner, so I checked about an hour after the injection, but only 30 minutes after eating. It had dropped to 100! Woo! I will wait another hour and see what the post meal level is. I do feel a bit 'out of it' .... nothing too major. It may all be in my head!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Height: 5' 4"

Smile Hello!

Hi,
I'm a fairly new user to Byetta too. The doc told me that one patient he had on it for a year only had the queezies for about three months. Mine seems better than it was. I notice that cabbage seems to give gas very fast. I used to use cabbage as a way to get my sugar down but tired of it. A cinnamon stick in my tea seems to help.
So far I like the Byetta. I had my gallbladder out and have a little area of diverticulus in my colon. The slowing down the stomach empting has really helped almost eliminate the diariea. I take a diet smart vitamin w/egcg. I don't crave food or get hungry now, as long as I'm not sooper stressed about something.
I am trying to learn the carbs counting. I have been on calorie counting-then portions-looked at fats and sugars.
My boyfriend doesn't seem to understand diet cooking. I do most now. Sometimes you just can't afford all the best things for your diet.
I'll keep hanging in there with this as I think it will be the best one for me.
oldwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #8  

Here is an update on my first week of Byetta. My sugar levels are normal, or near normal. (80's before meals, less than 120 after meals) Its been awesome! I have had very little nausea, and the times I had it, I had eaten too much and knew it! The best thing about it is the weight loss! Seven pounds in one week! I am excited! I hope the weight loss continues, but I will be satisfied with a slower rate even! I feel great! I am so excited! After years and years of frustration, I am hoping this will be what finally solves my problem with not being able to lose weight.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Height: 5' 4"

Default Hi!

I'm doing better on mine-only a few pounds but, I'm not complaining.

I am doing well at keeping my meals small. I try to keep busy or stay away from the kitchen.

I may even get this carb counting figured out.

Glad it's working so well for you, Monet.
oldwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:20 AM   #10  
Natasha

S/C/G: 194/190/140

Height: 5'4"

Hello All....New to the website and didnt even know about this insulin...I am 34 and have been insulin dependent for about nine years..I am on humilin N and Humalog. I am having a heck of a time loosing weight. I am going to ask my Doctor about this and see what he says...does anyone know if most insurance will cover this med? Thanks...
Babygirl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:54 AM   #11  

Hi Natasha, I am not sure if Byetta will work for you. It stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin when the blood sugar levels are elevated. If you do not produce insulin, it won't work. Many insurance companies will cover it, but it is expensive, so they tend to be picky. My co-pay for it is $50 a month! I have heard that taking insulin makes it difficult to lose. Perhaps some folks on here can give you some tips on what works for them. I would say exercise, exercise, exercise!
Old 07-01-2006, 08:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: start 332/cw 322.8 /lighter

Default insurance

Hi, I work for an insurance company that does not cover Byetta
It also doesn't cover most weight loss drugs..but it will cover 50% of the cost of bariatric surgery ....Since I constantly review cases where people are having catastrophic complications after the gastric bypass surgeries it isn't an option for me...Very frustrating..

I've gotten a prescription for Xenical , which basically helps decrease the body's ability to absorb fat from the food you eat while producing some unsightly side effects (as what goes in must come out). It's very expensive but I have purchased some and i'm trialing it. You are supposed to take one with each meal or at least with meals high in fat. I reserve it for after I eat out or if I eat high fat meals.. I don't typically eat high fat at all. I think it could work better if I could take it more often, But I was denied by my insurance company though they may cover it on appeal . When I go to see my doc this month if my weight is down ..then I will appeal their decision. I'm not sure exactly but i'm thinking the cost of 1 pill without insurance coverage is close to $3..Also known as Orlistat, it is supposed to be going on the market over the counter without prescription some time later this year ..i think...

For anyone wondering about your insurance coverage for byetta or any drug you might want to take....simply call the # on your id card and ask customer service. Your company's customer service should be able to tell you or direct you to how to find out for your company. Or if your insurance has a website ..there should be a way to access the insurances' policies on certain meds..THere may be either a seperate pharmacy link that shows what their "formulary" for preferred drugs is or a search engine where you can enter the name of the drug for related information ..

good luck
moongoddessGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:41 AM   #13  

my insurance does cover my byetta- it's $20 a month and then $20 for the needles. Last month however, they didn't charge me for the needles.... I don't have to get the needles every month since they come in a box of 100... only use 60 per month so if I have enough left, I don't get another box... My insurance however doesn't have byetta on the maintenance meds- If so, I would get 3 months for one co pay. I received info on my insurance for next year and come october, the copay will go to $30 a month. But, even so, it's working for me and isn't costing me anymore than before I started it since I was taken off 3 meds and put on the 1.

Reba
Old 07-02-2006, 02:14 AM   #14  
Natasha

S/C/G: 194/190/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks again for the info. Yeah I looked up some info on byetta last night and noticed it is for type 2. Sheesh... oh well I am going to talk to my Doctor to see what we can come up with to help. Well hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!! XOXO Natasha
Babygirl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #15  

Default former byetta user

Hi,

I used to visit this site all the time. I haven't been here for a while, but today I was lurking and saw this thread.

I was on byetta last year. I couldn't take the side affects. I wish I had seen some of these posts though, because the info seems really helpful.
For me the nausea was intense. I would sit at my desk rocking back and forth from the stomach pain. I wish I new about the lettuce.... ut was horrible. Most fiber and vegies were a nightmare. I also was treated or diabetic gastro paresis(sp?) which is another problem since that alread inhibits digestion and the byetta slows it down even more. I started to panic because of the heavy chest sensation and started having palpatations. I'm on meds for that now. the gastro paresis hasn't bothered me. I also didn't benefit from weight loss because I couldn't eat after the injections because of the nausea and vomiting so I would eat all night and mostly dry carbs. So needless to say it didn't work out for me. My endo doc still thinks it's a great rx and would like me to try again but now I'm on Lantus injections with no side affects.

Good luck and success to all of you trying it. It's suppose to be very beneficial.
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote