Supplements

• I'm having a pondering day.

I read today about a study just published stating that NSAIDs increase risks for heart attacks and strokes - remember Vioxx being removed for being prescribed? I'm not on them now but I took them for months last year and I think I remember that they increase your BGLs too.

So I'm looking at everything I'm taking. Has anyone here had problems with supplements (certain vitamins, red rice yeast, cinnamon, etc) impacting their BGLs - positively or negatively?

I'm sure someone here can comment on that.
  • I have not read about NSAID's raising blood sugars, although many have a sugary coating, to make them easier to swallow. those on the atkins threads look carefully at the carb counts of many supplements as any carbs will have some affect on sugars. As to increasing risks of strokes and heart attacks, I have not heard this, and most NSAID's will "thin" blood somewhat, so I would look at a variety of studies. It may also depend on why someone is on the drug. If its for pain and mobility, staying mobile will reduce the risk of blood clots, heart attacks, and lower blood glucose, so if a med helps you to do that, it may be helpful. Of course that risk benefit analysis is for you and your doc or health care provider to discuss.
  • i'll have to look into that..hopefully not