Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #1  
Woman on mission!

Height: 5'9

Unhappy Scared!!!

I MUST get to an Endo, or Internist whose speciality is Diabetes. If I don't, I'm going to get sick or worse! It doesn't matter if I Test FBS, PP or random, my BS is up there and will NOT come down!! Even if Metformin didn't cause Muscle Cramps, the Medicine doesn't work. I have an Appointment, September 8, but I'm not sure if my sanity can wait that long!! I realize worrying isn't helping matters, but what the frig am I supposed to do???

Last edited by Butter_Butt; 08-30-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Butter_Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM   #2  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Hey, Butter.

This may be a stupid question, but have you cut out all starchy carbs? I mean, ALL of them? Just eating non-starchy vegetables (no fruit) and protein should bring it down some, at least. Also, drink only water or unsweetened tea.

If you are already doing this, then that is all you can do until you go to the doctor. Can you see if you can get an appointment sooner or with an internist?
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #3  
War Eagle!

Cardio, like walking, should help, too. Can you get a walk in today sometime?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:01 PM   #4  
Woman on mission!

TheCandEs,
No, I haven't completely cut all starchy Carbs. It's hard when Money is tight and ya have to eat what you can get your Hands on. I HATE that I can't eat a consistent well balanced and Healthy Diet!! I do drink lots of good Water and a variety of non-Fruity/Caffeine-free Herbal Teas. No, I can't get a sooner Appointment, and I called one of the 2 Clinics in the neighboring State to inquire if they have an Endo on Staff. They have 1, but he isn't accepting new Patients with my Insurance!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 AM   #5  
War Eagle!

Golly, BB! Well, I guess you just have to do the best you can until you go back to the doctor. I'm sorry that's not much help, but it is the only thing you can do.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:53 PM   #6  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

WOw, I sure hope you can keep it steady until you get to the Endo! I know how scary this can be.

I second the idea of exercise. Even a 20-minute walk can help bring down sugars after meals.

And there are some cheaper low-carb foods to fill up on. The more protein and fat you eat, the less you'll want bread, pasta, potatoes, and grains. Try eggs, canned tuna and salmon, Polish or Italian sausages, inexpensive hamburger, cheese. Cook frozen veggies (often cheaper than fresh) with butter (not cheap, but a little goes a long way) to fill you up with fiber and fat.

One of our favorite cheap-o meals is hamburger browned with onion and cabbage. Yummy, cheap, and filling!

Another is salmon cakes, made from canned salmon and pan-fried.

And eggs, every which way, can't be beat for protein, satiety, and budget-friendliness.

One of the best threads around (not here, unfortunately) for this sort of thing is "Cheapskate Low Carb". Check it out for some great ideas!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Make sure you take Met with food- try picking your largest meal to eat it with.

I'm sorry you are having problems- if there are some smaller stores in the area you may be able to find produce cheaper there.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #8  
Woman on mission!

TheCandEs,
I have an Appointment with my Primary Physician the 8th, but scheduled an Appointment with an Internist who specializes in the complete Treatment of Diabetes. My Appointment is end of Month. It's a shame having to Drive 136 Miles round Trip instead of 45 Minutes for an Endo!

Beerab,
I do take Metformin with Food. I take a Tablet @ Breakfast, then with Dinner. There are 3 Stores to purchase Food + a small HFS. We don't have access to Whole Foods,Trader Joe's, Kroger's, Albertson's or Reisers.

Synger,
I did so well lowering my BS,A1C's and losing weight, then out of nowhere, my BS went up,up and up and is staying up and regained weight! I told my Physician since learning I had BS issues, I've tried remaining calm, but it's getting hard to do so. This Disease has been part of my life since age 10, when my late Father was Diagnosed. I'm sure what I'm about to say is gonna get rotten Tomatoes thrown @ me, but, it's impossible to get a 20 minute walk in. Since returning to School, I barely have time to keep Laundry done, Dishes washed,trash taken out and the Toilet scrubbed. School, reading, studying and Assessments/Assignments are taking all my time! I enjoy eating Healthy and being physically active, but the problem lays in to many Bills and not enough Money. Thank you for the link.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #9  

Would it be at all possible for you to consult a dietitian who specializes in creating a diabetic diet? Whatever regimen you might be following now, you're probably doing a part of it wrongly.

Just a friendly advice.
pattynelson is offline   Reply With Quote