Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default November Chat

New day, new week, new month, new resolve!

This will be a hectic month for me with another trip mid-month and Christmassy events cranking up in the Village. Last month was not a success but this one will be if I control and plan well.

My Goals: actually drop some weight (I gained in October) and get back to the gym. The time change should help me with the last one. I find it really hard to leave the house for the gym at 7:15 when it's cold and dark. The cold I can handle but not the dark. Going later in the day just doesn't work a life gets in the way.

On we go.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #2  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Hi everyone..........

Have not checked in for a while. Been down in the dumps the past week or so. I'm sure it has to do with not having a job yet. I did go to an interview last Thursday. I don't want to go anywhere or talk to anyone. Alot of times I find my self sitting on the couch and staring out the window.

Time to make a change. So I joined Leslie Sansone's 21-Days Before Thanksgiving Challenge. Today is the first day and the challenge was to walk 3 miles. I just finished her 3 mile fat burning. I also plan to get out of the house at least every other day. Today I am going to the health center to get a TB skin test. Tomorrow the library and the next back to the health center to check the skin test. Need to make some better food choices and get more veggies in there. I did turn down a piece of chocolate cake last night after going to church. My blood sugars have been amazingly good. In the 90's.

Anyway thanks for listening

Leann
Old 11-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everybody,

Ruth Thanks for the new thread for November. I didn't do well in October either. I like the thought of a new day, new week, new month. My goal this month is to lose weight (ended the month with a no gain/no loss which is amazing), to get FBS going down again and to get the BP back to my normal. I plan to do at least 2 weeks Atkinks Induction and then move on to the OWL and stick with it. We can do this.

Leeann I'm sorry you are feeling low. I hope you get the job you want soon. It is good to have a plan and I'm sure that doing the Leslie Sansone 21 Day thing will help.

I got my Atkins book out and reading it again. Going to get active on their support site and get my attitude adjusted back to the way it was when I did this before... look at what I can have to eat and throw out the attitude of thinking about what I can't have.

Good luck everyone as we start our new month.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default hello again

did not have a stellar weekend. The Indian supper on Saturday was great, and while I didn't eat rice or naan bread, there would have been some carbs in the food generally and I overate a bit. On Sunday I did well until DH brought some smarties home to give out for hallowe'en, and I ate 6 of the little boxes. Thats too much period. Felt crummy as I knew I would. Trying to get back on plan today, but not terribly successful, due to, you guessed it, lack of planning. Going to go out grocery shopping in a bit to make sure.
I still think I am too lazy, but havent been motivated to exercise much.
I am in a bit of a funk. Gotta get my head in the right space, it seems this weight loss thing is as much mental as anything else.
I definitely don't want the stress of things at home currently to make its way onto my waistline. Its time to get rid of a few more pounds before Christmas.

Trish: I wonder, is there a reason you don't want to do low carb? do you dislike it? I think you can go down on the carbs, and move up the carb ladder carefully and find the right mix for you to have more carbs than induction but maybe not a "regular" number of carbs. ( my dietition for instance suggested about 150-200g carbs/day. At that point my sugars are staying over 9.0 constantly, hah. even with losing 20 pounds, I haven't been able to increase my carbs to more than 45 g/day without some real problems with my sugars. ) Its a drag but it is reality for me.
Having to stick to any WOE can be a pain, but its important generally to watch what we eat.

have a good week everyone
Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

LEANN ~ will send up some prayers for you and your job-hunting as well. Be sure to specify a time that potential employers can get hold of you (ie in the AM or what days; don't want to miss a call). You have a great plan there -- to get out of the house every other day. That is so odd, I was just thinking the same thing myself today after my morning devotionals & prayers. We have a new community complex here and I want to go and take a look at the gym, the pool (a bit closer), and maybe use the facility for walking over the winter. I think I will also take in the library once a week as well; couldn't hurt -- DH & I used to go regularly and it is time to renew that good habit.

RUTH ~ hang in there; we all can make a new resolve to do better this month. We don't have a lot of functions to go to like you do. I feel for you about that; you are stronger than you think -- you fight off so many temptations.

Quote:
... look at what I can have to eat and throw out the attitude of thinking about what I can't have.
TRISH ~ I think that is so important; I do better when I focus on the positive too. Really, there are so many good and healthy things we can eat; maybe make a big list and post it on your fridge as a reminder -- think I'll do the same thing. I pulled out my reference book on "Foods that Improve your Health" today too ...

MADELEINE ~ I tried not to buy things I liked to eat; we put all the goodies in bags and are donating the leftovers to goodwill tomorrow; DH is eating the rest of the chips, nachos, cheesies (which were in small bags so less cals). I purposely ate less yesterday, so I could have a couple of treats and stay on plan; and it worked! Just start again tomorrow AM: one meal, one snack, one day ...

Today, I made a nice sirloin beef stew with lots of veggies for dinner; have enuff for tomorrow lunch as well. We are using a trick of smaller bowls & plates for our meals. We switched from large plates to bread plates and bowls for our dinners now. Sometimes, we use soup bowls with rims for our dinner; and tonight, we used the cereal bowls for our stew. Every little trick to get the servings down a bit more helps, I think ...

Boy, have the temps ever dropped here; very cold, but it's supposed to be tomorrow -- have a great week ladies ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-01-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #6  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

Rosebud I would greatly appreciate any prayers you say for me. I actually went to church twice this past Sunday and it felt good. This is 3 times this month I have went. I probably have not been a regular in at least the past 10 years or so. I know god has a plan for my life and I have to wait on him.

Did day 2 of Leslie Sansone's challenge. Got a phone call from the place I interviewed with on Thursday. They wanted to know if I had went and got a TB skin test and I told them that I had. They told me that as soon as they received the results he would give all the paper work to his supervisor and they would go over everything and probably be calling with an offer soon. This is a positive step as I need a job. Maybe not the VA job I had hoped for but money coming in none the less. After lunch I will go to town to vote and go to the library. I am feeling in a better mood the past couple of days. Taking one day at a time. Fasting blood sugar was 95 this morning.

Thanks for listening
Leann
Old 11-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #7  

Leann I pray the job comes through for you. Glad you are feeling better and I think "one day at a time" is how we all have to do this.

Rosebud Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to take the list in the book and just focus on the healthy foods that I like.

This is Day 2 of Atkins Induction for me and my FBS was back down to 122 mg/dl, my BP was back down to my normal and I dropped another lb. So since it is obvious that I have to eat this way (as doc said "numbers don't lie"), I am praying for God to help me have a better attitude about this woe and to help me to enjoy it.

I don't really know what my problem is except that I get bored with it. So I think I have to start planning more of a variety of foods or at least a variety of ways to prepare it. I have settled into an omlete each morning for breakfast. Can change up the meat with it... sausage, ham or bacon. Veggies are pretty much the same, but could use zucchini some times in place of spinach. I have noticed that zucchini is one of those veggies along with spinach seems to lower my bs. So I think with some tweaking, I can settle into this woe. I have also been searching for diffeent low carb recipes too to make things more interesting and found an easy low carb cheesecake that I may make for Thanksgiving since it is my favorite and I'll be off Induction by then.

I think another problem I have is that DH eats pretty much what he wants and his bs has come down dramatically, but he takes a different diabetic med that makes it come down. (little confession there) He eats candy everyday, eats diet ice cream etc and is doing great with his bs. He has a doc appointment today. But then I try to remember that he has health problems I don't have and I hope those things will improve as his bs improves. Thank God my next drx appointment is January 2 or 3 giving me more time to get things back down hopefully below 100s.

Got to run. Y'all have a great OP day.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #8  
Madeleine

Default no whining, promise

Got out this am for a nice walk with the dog. The frost was thick on the grass, and the fresh air felt good. Its also my birthday.
Meditated, renewed my intentions. Ate right today.
Went to the Keg for supper, but gee its easy to stick to plan there. Did enjoy 1 glass of wine with supper. Didn't have dessert, even tho its free for the birthday girl. 2 hr pc bs 5.1 so I am pretty glad.
Daily intentions to stick to woe like glue this week. Get back on track. A couple of days of extra carbs, even healthy ones, left me with big sugar cravings, so have to watch myself.
Pity party is over.
Right on ladies, you are doing it too. You inspire me everyday.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #9  

Good Morning Everybody,

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY MADELEINE

Hope everyone is doing well today. This is my Bible Study Fellowship morning and as usual, I didn't seel well. I ate off a bit yesterday so the combination of that and not enough sleep making me tired mad my FBS a little high. I'm sure that will be back down tomorrow. As you can see, I changed my avatar. It is to remind me that I am low carbing and why I LIKE TO LOW CARB!!! There are advantages especially at my age... 1) it is a natural diuretic, 2) it naturally tones the body so hopefully as I lose weight the wrinkling won't be so bad and that one is a big one and 3) it makes me feel lighter as well as look smaller than the scale shows and that is just to name a few. I have finally as of this morning lost 25 lbs so that is a plus for me and my BP was still good. So overall everything is very good.

Better get ready to leave. Y'all have a great day. We can do this. I remember reading somewhere that perfection is not what we should work for but work at being 90% OP. I think that is a good idea so we don't get discouraged and quit or give up.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 11-03-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:31 AM   #10  
Come on Spring!

Thanks, Patty. I needed that since I am quite discouraged with an early (3 A.M.) wake-up and a pound up on the scale. I know the pound is water weight and my own fault but still ... it's scary to see that old 200 on the horizon.

You'd think that getting up so early would make it easier to get to the gym but it didn't happen again. Maybe next Monday when the time changes and I can drive there is semi daylight at 7:15.

I'm physically and mentally tired and a bit worried about my workload so need to make a supreme effort to get back on track and out of this funk. Today I have to go to town for a boring shop but will pop in to a bazaar at the Nursing Home on my way back. There's also a good speaker at my garden club tonight so that may perk me up.

Food? Not great yesterday since I ruined a veal stew and then over-salted the chicken I threw together fast. Today has been OK so far with Fibre 1, blackberries and yogurt for breakfast and lunch will be a salad here at home before I go to town. I don't want to be even on the same street as the Chinese buffet in my current vulnerable condition. Cabbage rolls from the freezer stash are thawing for a quick supper before my meeting.

I'm great at planning but fall down at execution.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #11  
Madeleine

trish, that is such a fabulous thing, 25 pounds is a great achievement. You deserve some new slacks or jeans for that! Great going. The avatar is a good idea too.
Ruth, I hear you. I don't "stay" at a weight, I just get there and something happens and I go back up 1-2 pounds and takes a while to get back down.....
I was up for 5 hours in the night working, so slept late today. Have a plan to go for a walk with the dog, and then to hot yoga. I want to be worn out to get to sleep at the normal time tonight and get back on track.
We are planning to do some campus tours with DD this weekend (the end in sight, she WILL leave home!) so have that to look forward to!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #12  
Rosebud

... MADELEINE ...

LEANN ~ good to have a call back from a prospective employer; they must be interested if he called just to see if you got the TB test done -- prayers continue ...

Yes, we all just need to hang in there; perfection isn't necessary to see improvement -- even 90% will do the job! We had and winds today, but we'll take it; better than youknowwhat ...

We did a bit of shopping yesterday too; and paid the utility bills while we were at it. Picked up some more books and a nice suit which is down one more size (1x) and it fit ... yeah! All those AM toning exercises are helping. Food is good this week too.

Hope you all have a good week ... Rosebud
Old 11-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

Feeling a tad perkier this morning after a normal night of sleep. There's a lot of stress in my like right now which may be the problem - not personal problems, by the way.

A victory yesterday! I went to town without having lunch at home, walked past the Chinese buffet and had an apple and a skim milk for lunch in the car after my Walmart shop. The scale rewarded me today with a two pound loss. Now to get working on the "old" fat.

Today's food is planned and even partially prepared so I'm good to go with another hectic day. Grey's will be the reward at the end.

Here we go with a Thoughtful Thursday.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #14  

Hi Everyone,

Ruth Congratulations on your victory yesterday and having things planned for today. Glad the scales rewarded you this morning too. I find that not enough sleep has a big affect on my FBS. We do have to avoid stress and not enough sleep does stress us more than we realize.

Rosebud Congratulations on the new suit at the new low size. You are doing great.

I still haven't got back on track so I went to DiabeticLiving,com and did some reading and printed some info on weight loss and counting carbs. I know they do it differently than Atkins, but decided that maybe I need to make a change. The main thing is to get on to something that I can live with forever. I also read messages on Number of carbs here on the diabetic thread. I am going to try eating 30 carbs at each meal and maybe 1 or 2 snacks at 15 carbs each. I also like the idea of dividing the plate into the 1/4 protein, 1/4 starchy veggies and 1/2 fruits and veggies. My doctor had suggested that to me originally and I think I can do that. Also may think about smaller 7" plate. Hopefully all these things will work for me. I have part of my plan for today. I had 1/2 grapefruit, peanut butter toast made with 2 slices of whole wheat 35 calorie bread and coffee w/ stevia. I plan to make Rosebud's Moms meatloaf for our main meal today. Not sure exactly what I'll have after there but will be using the formula above.

Thanks everyone for being there for me and being patient with me while I learn what works for me and what I can live with. That is what makes this thread such a great place of support. We are here for each other.

We are having a day and it's colder than usual for us 14 degrees lower than normal. Can't fuss about the as we have been below normal on that.

Hope everybody has a great day!!!

Last edited by pattygirl63; 11-04-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #15  
Rosebud

TRISH ~ I like to have green beans & coleslaw with that meatloaf (instead of the traditional peas); that should fit into your plan, I think. Your breakfast sounds good to me too.

I had a mix of large-flake oatmeal with natural cream of wheat for breakfast the last 2 days and didn't even feel hungry for a morning snack: interesting, eh? I find when I have eggs, that I am hungry 2 hours later -- I am going to have this a bit more often and see what happens.

RUTH ~ that was a nice 2 lb reward for that light lunch.

We had pasta with beans in a tomato sauce made with green peppers, onions, and mushrooms; trying for a meatless meal here. DH gobbled it down; so that means he must have liked it. I could pasta and rice with veggies all the time, but might have to sneak it in only once a week for DH -- maybe alternate each week.

Time for my evening snack; an apple sounds good too -- I try to have at least one each day. Think I'll have some tea too. Have a fab Friday tomorrow, ladies ... Rosebud
Closed Thread