Old 07-24-2010, 04:13 AM   #1  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Default Hubby Type 2 - Me Obese!

Hi, I'm hoping that someone will be able to give me a little bit of advice here. Hubby was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes some months ago, and whilst I really enjoy cooking, I've been at a loss as to what to cook that is both enjoyable and healthy. I'm really worried that sometimes I'm not cooking the right things, and giving him things that he shouldn't be eating!

Also, I'm in need of losing around 60lbs. In the past year or so, the weight that I've gained all seems to be around my mid-section, which I know is the most dangerous place for weight gain. My doctor has recently advised me to get my fasting blood glucose and cholesterol levels checked, which I am going to do. I've done quite a bit of research recently on various diabetic websites, but the more I read, the more overwhelmed I feel.

I read on one website that the South Beach Diet was also recommended for diabetic sufferers. As I need to lose weight, and I'm more than willing to change my eating habits to suit my husband's requirements, would this be a good plan to follow?

I'd be really grateful for any advice that anyone can offer.

Thanks!
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

South Beach is definitely a great plan for both weightloss and to control Type II. Please do the research first. I highly recommend buying the book so you understand the principles of the plan which is a lifestyle, rather than a diet. There is a South Beach section here on 3FC to check out.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:11 PM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

yes, any of the lower carb diets are very suitable for diabetics, especially type 2. (atkins and paleo are also good) But remember, no matter what you cook, or what diet you both choose to follow, portion control will be important. So if you are responsible for the meals and meal plans, going together to the dietitian or diabetic counsellor is an important part of it. He has to be on board, so he doesn't go off plan when he eats at work or goes out with friends. So his education component has to go to those points too.
It will be nice if the two of you can work it through together.
Welcome
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:18 PM   #4  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the advice! It sounds like the South Beach plan is just what we need. I'll do some more research and perhaps pop over to the South Beach thread to find out what I'm getting us into!
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:26 PM   #5  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I happen to be a newly diagnosed type 2 who happens to be 90 pounds overweight. I am on the South Beach diet and i find that it controls my blood sugar within the normal limits.. i dont need to count carbs, i just follow south beach and check my sugars and they stay in there range..I would consider doing South Beach..its pretty good for losing weight and for people with blood sugar problems, and then both you and your husband can find many recipes online for the diet to make and eat together.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/168/125

Height: 5'2

My situation is reversed, my husband is not diabetic and only about 25 pounds overweight. For me I have to cook myself everything! I haven't really joined a particular diet but I do cook some recipes from South Beach and Atkins. I keep my daily carbs under 100 grams because I have found that the high carb intake directly affects my midsection. Since I have lowered my carb intake I have lost 7 inches off my midsection. My husband will not eat the low carb snacks I make for myself but he will eat the dinners and inadvertently lose weight himself.
I am a label reader and it takes me so long to shop for (packaged) food because I read everything and track it that way I know if i am going over my carb amount. So if you and your husband track his daily intake then maybe you will feel more confident that he is eating the appropriate food. Good luck to you.
Dusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

This is a pretty old thread. Fat in Hong Kong has gone on her way. Thanks.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote