Old 07-14-2010, 04:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 267.8/211/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Gah. I HATE starting out with type 1.

When I started working out on a regular basis, I had tons of blood sugar drops until I was able to get my pump basal rates worked out. Now that I've started eating healthier, lower calorie/smaller portions/decreasing white carbs, I've having insulin reactions again. It's SO discouraging to HAVE to eat something that could trigger a binge and that will add calories to my day when I'm not even hungry.

The other bad thing is that sometimes I get those lows that make a diabetic want to eat everything.in.sight. I had one this afternoon. I hit the kids' cookie jar. I managed to stop myself at 3 Chips Ahoy, but I'm still mad at myself for having any. At least I did stop, because I could have easily eaten 6 or 7.
Bac0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

When this happens to me, I severely limit what I can have to fix a low. Orange Juice. I always have some with me (juicebox, etc). I find that if I eat to correct a low, I want to binge. No matter what I am eating, it triggers a need to binge. When I drink juice, I don't feel the need to binge as much.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Like Casandra, lows make me want to binge, too. If I eat to correct a low, I will feel perpetually hungry, turn into a werewolf, and raid my fridge. This is not productive. I've used orange juice to fix lows so much that I HATE the taste of it because I pair it up with the less-than-fun sensations that come with being low.

bac0s, you could have done much worse. Three cookies is nothing compared to, say, six... or thirty. Congrats for being able to stop yourself.

I've found it can be so easy to gain weight as a diabetic if you're not careful because of all the lows that can arrive with an active lifestyle. For instance, I started a maintenance/repair business, so I've been doing A LOT of physical work. With physical work (AND the Texas heat), I've been getting lows all the time. I gained a few pounds -- pounds I worked very hard to lose and keep off -- which will come off again in time.

Life is a big experiment, no?
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote