Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #31  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

I bought a stick bun at work, bug mistake, woolfed it down the looked at the carbs. are you ready for this. 64 carbs for a little stick bun. first shame upon shame i should have never given in to eating it, second i should have looked at the carb content first, but for those 5 minutes i didn't care, third i can't believe something that small cold have so many carbs, i don't think i have ever seen something with that many carbs in my life.
so lesson learned, won't happen again, look at carb numbers first then make a decision.
wasn't going to mention this, but i am learning to be honest with myself and you.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #32  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Too View Post
I bought a stick bun at work, bug mistake, woolfed it down the looked at the carbs. are you ready for this. 64 carbs for a little stick bun. first shame upon shame i should have never given in to eating it, second i should have looked at the carb content first, but for those 5 minutes i didn't care, third i can't believe something that small cold have so many carbs, i don't think i have ever seen something with that many carbs in my life.
so lesson learned, won't happen again, look at carb numbers first then make a decision.
wasn't going to mention this, but i am learning to be honest with myself and you.
this often happens at the beginning with atkins, its hard to stick to at first for a lot of people. I have trouble planning foods and meals to much of a degree. I am doing better now, and its really the key for sticking to atkins (or any other diet really). so you need to take LOTS of snacks to work , to have lots of options when these things come up. You need to eat to be satisfied, and have lots of back up snacks when you get these cravings. You also have to accept you will not be eating baked goods for a while.
with induction you really have to give up all the sweets for a bit to get over the cravings. Its hard, but worth it in the long run.
good luck.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #33  
Lil' Old Chick

Thanks Fatmad, i sometimes work from 5am to 2pm in the bakery and I wasn't eating breakfast, who wants to eat breakfast at 4 in the morning. Then i would have a salad with protein for lunch around 10, then nothing till i got home after 2. Then the little piggies kicked in and i wanted to eat the wallpaper.
I must learn to plan plan and plan some more.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #34  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Quote:
Isn't it amazing how the carbs add up when flour and sugar combine? /sigh I remember eating donuts because they were less calorific than granola bars and other snacks... but the carbs were tremendous!

When I began lowering my carbs (I don't do anything "official" like Atkins), I went into the snack shop at work, when I WASN'T hungry, and just looked around at the options I had. Nuts, hard cooked eggs, diet yogurt, vegetable juice, sometimes veggies/dip packages, high-priced protein bars. That was it. So knowing that, I stocked a drawer in my cubicle with less expensive beef jerky, nuts, and Atkins and South Beach bars. Now I know I have options if I absolutely HAVE to snack at work.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:52 AM   #35  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Quote:
Thanks Fatmad, i sometimes work from 5am to 2pm in the bakery and I wasn't eating breakfast, who wants to eat breakfast at 4 in the morning. Then i would have a salad with protein for lunch around 10, then nothing till i got home after 2. Then the little piggies kicked in and i wanted to eat the wallpaper.
I also get up early, around 5:30. I make myself eat something, even if it's just some cottage cheese and a handful of pecans. I plan for a 9-10 o'clock snack, then lunch at 12 or so. If my husband doesn't have dinner ready when I get home around 6, I'll begin eating anything that's not nailed down unless I get a healthy on-plan snack into me. So I keep string cheese, fruit, nuts and nut butters, etc., handy, in case I need a pre-dinner intervention.

Planning really IS the key!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:08 PM   #36  
Madeleine

Quote:
Mr Z suggested smoothies for easy breakfast for me. I buy packaged atkins shakes for when I'm out. At home, I mix milk or soy milk with some cream, add flavoured protein powder and maybe 5-6 berries. I add a powdered fibre supplement too. This is a really easy brekkie, is very portable so you can drink it on the way to work.
warning tho, you will feel more hungry earlier in the day when you eat brekkie, but your metabolism will get revved up and your weight loss will be easier too. Give it a try me too!

Today I got out walking a LONG way, almost an hour. Have not been exercising much lately so it was a good change up.
Did 3 days of higher carb and lower fat to try to charge up the weight loss. Thanks to the metformin, sugars were fine. Switched back to induction atkins today. The 3rd day of higher carb brought wicked sugar cravings.
who knew I would be glad to lower the carbs again!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #37  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning. Weight is still stuck but BGL is fine. I finally got my meter fixed - just needed a new battery.

Things have finally started to dry up after all the rain so today will be a full day in the garden. There are no food events this weekend so my only challenges will be here at home. I just HAVE to get this weight down.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #38  
Lil' Old Chick

I usually make a soy smoothie, unsweetened soy milk, hemp protein powder and flax oil sometimes with a banana, in my magic bullet for breakfast. Some mornings however just don't want anything that early or running late and no time.
I have been eating more salads with protein in them and that has helped. I cooked dinner last night!! OK sauteed some mushrooms g pepper and onion over hamburger patty and corn, not great but better.
FBS this morning was 103.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #39  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

ME TOO ~ that dinner sounds pretty good to me; I like lots of veggies and salad with my dinner and lunch too, esp in the summetime when it hot.

Thank goodness for the weather is a bit cooler today after a scorcher yesterday which makes people miserable. Planted some green beans today; and will plant some more for the next two weeks as well. My salad garden is doing really well, so I am very pleased with it.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend ... Rosebud
Old 06-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #40  
Madeleine

well, I had a couple of low carb/light beers to celebrate the fact that it is Friday, had a friend over for supper, we ate out on the deck and had a nice chat. She is a dear friend for a long time so it was good.
Otherwise staying on plan, but have been enjoying a few strawberries here and there, clients keep giving me a little quart or pint basket when I visit, so I have to enjoy a bit.
have a great weekend all.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:17 AM   #41  
Come on Spring!

Strawberries have arrived here in Delta. Next week I will stock up and get the food dehydrator cranked up. Nothing like dried berries on winter oatmeal!

BGL is good at 5.1 this morning and I seem to have dropped 3 pounds overnight. It may be because I have decided to cut out wine with dinner except for special occasions. Somehow it escaped my mind that wine has calories! Who knew?

Lots of gardening happening yesterday and today and no "food" events. I opted out of an Armenian Dinner last night especially since it was advertised as "not spicy"! What's the point of dumbed down ethnic food?

I am loaded with greens and other good veggies and have a chicken to roast so this should be a healthy food weekend.

Wishing you the same.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #42  
Madeleine

Default happy fathers day

Delivered a lovely baby boy this morning, what a great way to celebrate father's day.
Have been doing well all weekend other than my 2 low carb beers on Friday.
Tonight is an indian feast for two colleagues who are leaving out practice to work elsewhere. I will skip the rice, but the sauces may have some carbs and sugar, so will eat carefully.
Ruth, I am so glad you have finally dropped a couple of pounds, gives us all hope. I am still stuck at 172, with rev up the carbs again for a few day next weekend I think if it doesn't budge. The book recommends a few days of low fat, higher carb (good carbs of course, no pie or cake darn it) which was a bit hard not to get sugar cravings.
we are enjoying the sun and getting out for walks, working in the garden.
have a good day everyone.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:51 AM   #43  
Come on Spring!

Oh my! Haven't checked in for a while. I hope everyone is well.

Yes, strawberries have arrived and today I will be keeping the dehydrator going all day. My raised bed garden is keeping me well supplied with greens and some peas. I know peas are a bit high carb but they are pretty yummy done with mint and a tiny bit of butter. Next year I'll grow the sugar snap ones and not feel as guilty eating them.

I'm still not back into the formal exercise habit. I'm about to put a daily gym reminder into my calendar!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #44  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI ALL ~ we've had a busy week also -- we went up to our lot on Monday (made two trips for doors and windows for our cottage), and boy, was it ; then shopping on Tuesday (walked my tired feet off); then did my Wednesday weeding, and planted some more seed in our side gardens (more green beans, lettuces, radishes, and summer turnips).

RUTH ~ you must have started them really early; so far, I can eat salad onions, some lettuce, and baby spinach.

Today, we stayed home so that I could have a complete rest day as I overdid it a bit I guess. I woke up with a bit of a cold this morning; and that peri-menopause stuff is acting up again since last Friday, but as the day went on, I started to feel better.

We had fish, homefries, and salad for dinner tonight; easy for me and since we had cooler temps today, it was nice for a change. The did come out in the late afternoon and stayed with us. Hope you all have a fabulous Friday tomorrow ... Rosebud
Old 06-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #45  
Come on Spring!

Rosebud, I planted my peas March 26th in the raised bed. They have been just great but are finished now. I wouldn't plant Sugar Snaps that early as they are more tender.

There has been way too much rain and I'm going a bit stir-crazy. It's time to get back to the gym. (I say that a lot - maybe I should just do it and quit procrastinating!) 50th Wedding Anniversary party this afternoon. It'll be a challenge but I can be strong.
Closed Thread