Old 05-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #61  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Good morning. It's a glorious May long weekend - Victoria Day - and I'm relaxing and enjoying it.

BGL is good and weight seems to have gone back to 191. Now to get it lower! I'm turning green from eating so much spinach from my garden.
just a couple of weeks ago you were telling us you weren't getting enough veggies! Funny how spring freshness makes everything more appetizing.

I have been sleeping most of the day after working all night, but got out in the sun on the deck for a bit to get some sun. maybe go for a walk this evening when it cools off. The drag of being on-call for a long weekend.

Had a carb craving with the sleep deprivation, had a little spike in BG to 8.1, the highest since I've been on the metformin. Thats with about 35g of carbs in the meal. (not so much right?)
I will have to watch the types of carbs, this was with an ice cream sandwich, (sugar alcohols and splenda, no sugar!) after a meat and veggies meal. A granola bar chaser did me in. Back to the low carb lifestyle after this.
hohum
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

Well, maybe it is the heat, but even with my metformin, over the last week or so I've been seeing higher morning levels (between 10 and 13) and higher night time levels (11-15) I don't know what to do about this, as I seem to be getting more and more insulin resistant.

Back to my Diabetes nurse it is, then! bah.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:24 PM   #63  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Default Good News From The Doctor's Office

My doctor's office called me today with the results of my most recent blood test. A1c is at 5.7 and the cholesterol is still high but lower than last time. Their suggestion was to keep doing what I'm doing. Now I'm just waiting for them to review my sleep study I did last week. It's been windy today, which has helped to keep things cool.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #64  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

MAD ~ some of those bars and icecreams have POTATO STARCH in them which brings the carb count right back up to the sugar-filled ones.

CASANDRA ~ glad you have that Diabetes Nurse to help you along ...

RUTH ~ glad things are getting back on track again; I love to buy baby spinach, freeze it, and slice the frozen leaves into sauces and soups. I planted some in my garden along with swiss chard and my salad garden and in less than a week, it has already sprouted ... awesome!

MR. Z ~ that story about your DAD was so funny; not haha funny, but very interesting ... becuz my DH does the exact same thing all the time (my DH has memory issues too). He will also make a new cup of coffee and leave it on the table; his other favorite place is the microwave ... I often go hunting for him to tell him that he left his coffee, but he has already gone somewhere, so I save it for him as I hate to throw away that many coffees. BTW ... congrats on the good reports.

Another scorcher for us today -- up to 95 F today; haven't seen temps like this too often ... hope this changes soon. They are calling for some tonight; hope we get it to cool things down. Our young neighbour came over and helped DH put our other air conditioner in our front door and that is helping a lot.

Did some gardening in the early AM; good exercise for sure. We have some more flowers blooming and coming up. DH started the front beds again, as they had grown over from lack of use over the years (the last tenants weren't into gardening). Am thinking of some Irises or bush flowers of some type; will have to go hunting and see what I can find.

Hope you all have a great week ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-25-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Height: 5' 4"

Just counting cals and carbs-need reality check. Sugars are better.
oldwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #66  

Hello! Its been ages and ages since I stopped in. Lots has happened to me in the past six months and I thought I would stop by and share.

I got diagnosed with sleep apnea and I now use a cpap machine. It has really helped me. I no longer feel like I am suffocating in my sleep, but the best thing is it seems to be helping heal my metabolism. I have actually lost about 15 pounds, which is tremendous for me!

I ran into a type 1 diabetic at Whole Foods one day a few months ago, and she recommended a book to me called Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes. I was skeptical, but thought, I have tried everything else, why not this? I gave it three months.... I have been astounded! The diet is a very low fat vegan diet. It works! I am almost off my evening insulin, my glimiperide dose is half was it was, and my morning blood sugars are in the normal range for the first time in three or four years! I feel good and I am losing weight effortlessly! I love it! At first it was hard to give up cheese, milk, meat, eggs...but its not at all hard now. I can even eat brown rice and not see morning bg levels over 200!

I hope to stop in more often.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #67  
Rosebud

CAROL ~ come back often; we'll try to help you as best we can ...

HI ELLEN ~ so nice to see you back here again! You know I was just reading about someone else in another forum who said a similar thing as you. Wonder why that is so? All this time they keep telling us it's the sugars and starches and that's that! Now I am hearing people say that they are on a low-fat vegetarian or vegan plan and their sugars are getting better. Wonder if it has something to do with our varied systems ...

Well, it's out there again today, but just a bit less than yesterday; we'll find out the true tempurature later on. They are stilling calling for thunderstorms, but they didn't show last night. DH just came in and said it's still pretty bad out there. WE have 2 air conditioners going right now. Had to go out to an appt today but by the time we got back the humidity had lifted a bit. Got in a bit of walking via shopping for healthy foods, lots of veggies today ...

Have a great week everyone ... and stay ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-25-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:21 AM   #68  
Madeleine

Default getting back on track

Funny how a cheat day sometimes help, I ate quite a few carbs on Sunday, and spiked a bit, and got back to low carb since, and another pound just shed off after about 10 days of no movement on the scale.
I took some skirts in to be taken in!. They are favs that I got when I was in Scotland last year, colours and styles that I really like, so I couldn't just replace them, as I have seen nothing like that here.
I wear skirts for work since I see so many Old Order Mennonite and Amish women, but I like a little flounce in my skirt! Its hard to find.

I think it is so interesting that Ellen has found a very different diet from mine and found it quite helpful, just as I find that low carb is the only thing that truly is working for me, though I didn't go to low fat vegan.
I eat vegan for about a year as a young woman, but had some neuropathy developing. I don't think it was a low fat diet either. I ate a lot of nuts and seeds back then.

Enjoy the heat wave everyone! keep cool!
Old 05-27-2010, 09:24 AM   #69  

Yup, I had a terrible off week. Probably ToM related, but today was back under 9 in the morning from a 10.4 last night. Happy days

My mom sent me a care-package of 100-calorie packs lol I have discovered and fallen in love with Lorna Doon Shortbread.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #70  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

BGL fine, weight the same and I'm waaaaay too busy. I intend to schedule relaxing time today and over the weekend.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #71  
Madeleine

Have a weekend off and its already full of good stuff. Had a nice massage last night, but am a little soar from it. Going to walk a bit and do some other errands, as well as go out tonight.
have a good weekend everyone
Old 05-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #72  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Low 90's today. Not the best weather to mow the lawn, but it's suppose to rain tomorrow and it needed to be cut before the family get together this weekend. All the pets got hosed down today since it was so hot outside, even the cat. Have a great weekend, everyone.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #73  

Well, today was a temptation filled day! I am totally addicted to Lorna Doon Shortbread and today I had my first cheese-it in over 3 years!!!

We just had our 10 month old Pomeranian neutered, he's been such a joy to raise so far, I hope this doesn't alter him too much! lol

Blood sugars still running slightly high (8-11), but am so happy they are back down in these figures from the high teens and low twenties just a few short months ago. Slowly bringing them down now
Old 05-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #74  
Rosebud

Well, we finally got those storms -- lots of lightening and thunderboomies so I had to shut my PC down the last 2 days. Today, the temps are much nicer in the high 70's right now but that is OK with me. I find 80 F or under is bearable; it's when it goes into the 90's with the humidity that really bothers me. Thank goodness for our portable air conditioner which is also a DE-Humidifier.

CASANDRA ~ I have to watch those 100 cal packs and the bars; if they are too yummy, I may eat them too quickly. I found some Fiber Bars that are good tasting but not so much that I will eat more than one at a time. Those ones with the peanut butter crunch and chocolate do me in ...

Went to the docs this aft and he is still bugging me about getting WLS; I guess we will just have to play this cat & mouse game back and forth ... he bugs and I say that I will think about it and around and around we go ...

I weighed myself before I left even though it was later in the day and I have lost 2 lbs, but will check that tomorrow AM and see what the difference is with the time of day. Usually, I weigh myself in the early AM before eating anything; but hey, I will take those 2 lbs for now -- that means to me, that my previous loss was a stable one ...

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend; it's the last weekend of May before all the buggies start to come out. Right now, some black flies are out and so it's not good to be out in the early evening unless there is a nice wind. Later on in the late evening they disappear into the grass for the night.

Take care ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-28-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #75  
Madeleine

we had our long weekend last weekend, but I think our american friends are celebrating this weekend. Have a nice holiday folks. The weather is amazing even though we had a little storm run through last night, nothing serious. Will be gardening the rest of the weekend and plan to see a movie tonight.

BY the way, last night had more carbs than usual. (a couple of light, low carb beers, and some dry cider, as well as some nachos with my chicken wings) and my bs was 4.9 before bed! 4.3 this am. was quite surprised. Thought I would be spiking. Didn't bother to check the scale, I will be good for a few days before doing a weight check again. Goal to get under 170 in June. THe weight loss has been slow, even without cheating, so am under no illusions about it going off faster.
happy sunshine friends