Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #16  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default hello again

back from a week away, first my conference, then a weekend visiting with friends. I managed to (mostly) stick to eating plan, sugars have been great, and I didn't gain any weight. Haven't been exercising much at all, so that is something I have to get to work on this week.
My conference went well, I had to speak a couple of times and run a couple of seminars, and did ok with that. Met some awesome women too.
For any hockey fans, I got to see the STANLEY CUP and get my photo taken with it. That was a real highlight of the week.
Also spent an evening with my father, so overall everything was good.
This is Mother's Day, and it sucks not to have my mother here for this anymore, so I mostly have ignored the day as much as possible.
I'm feeling pretty blue now, but that isn't the mood I've been in most of the week. SO I am feeling pretty good, and getting by most days ok.
Hope things go ok for everyone here. The spring weather is coming back with the sunshine, and that should help.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

I am always looking for ways to improve my recipes! I have tried making it with crushed up cereal, but it just didn't work out that well!

Almonds and oat flour next time, methinks! I love the flavour of baked almonds!

I had a super low (for me) last night. 2.8 X_____x I gorged myself on gummy bears, I just couldn't stop until I felt better...It was so weird! I woke up with a high in the middle of the night, no ketones and its going down, its almost 11am now and I'm normal. I'll be able to have lunch! lol

I have a few essays to work on, I was very ill for a few months in the school year so I will get an extention to finish them. I really don't feel like writing about Prohibition right now though!

Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:22 AM   #18  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning all.

Another week to work on our personal renovation plans. I sure need to step it up as my weight is up a tad from a week of poorly planned food. When I'm really busy, I'm inclined to grab and go which is silly! Last night it was ribs(bad) from the freezer with quinoa (good) but no veggie. (bad) so BGL was 6.2 this morning, a tad high for me.

Isn't it great that we get a brand new day every 24 hours?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #19  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

YES, RUTH ~ I agree, I felt very hungry today and may have eaten a bit more than I needed, me thinks, but tomorrow I will try to reign that in. It is great that we get another chance every 24 hours ... indeed! Yet, I did well on the weekend, so that was a victory really.

CASANDRA ~ I am always tweaking my recipes too; and looking for ways to improve them. I have also heard of using dry pancake powder mix with some seasonings, although I usually use flour (now whole wheat flour) but you can definitely use oat flour or what we call oat bran too or almond flour or meal. I love to use "oat bran" now as a thickener instead of flour; it works great for that as well!

MADALEINE ~ to you during this time; that first year or so is so tough with all the holidays and birthdays and things that bring back memories. It's true that grieving and healing does take some time ...

Hope you all have a wondeful week coming up ... Rosebud Oh and btw, my tulips are now getting ready to bloom (one yellow is out), even with all these low temps (below freezing) and ***** ... amazing!!!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-10-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #20  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Went to the second of Kaiser's Diabetes basic classes. This three-hour session dealt with medicines -- what they are, what they do, what to know about them (can you drink, do they interact with other drugs, what their side effects are, etc.) -- then monitoring. We learned what high and low numbers look like, what are some symptoms, what to be aiming for (which depended on whether you were on meds or not), and what influences the numbers.

Talked about how to self-monitor, and that it's all about patterns -- taking your post-prandial numbers all the time isn't all that useful unless you take your before-meal number too, so you can see what the difference is, for instance. Interestingly, she suggested we (no meds, or just Metformin) take pre-and post- prandials for one meal one day, then another a few days later, to see what's going on when we eat. For those who are on other meds that affect pancreas and insulin, they should do pre-prandials primarily, to see what their baseline glucose is.

Then we got our meters out and she went through how to use them in more detail.

All in all, it was a very informative class. And the section on meds made me doubly glad that I'm not on any yet, and even more determined to push off the need for meds as long as humanly possible!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #21  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Wink Lost Another Marble, Not Many Left :)

Howdy, everyone.

I went for my longest jog this morning (5 miles). After the third mile, my pace dropped down dramatically. My personal trainer was keeping pace with me and she was doing a fast walk. Doh! For the last mile, I really dug down and found the energy to up my pace and finish strong. After some stretching and ab exercises, I went home to shower and see my doctor for a physical. So I walk in, check in, write a check for my co-pay, and wait while the receptionist gets done with her call. She greets me and comments that I'm early. I'm thinking to myself, "well, yeah, my appointment is at 11 and it's 10:45." She then says, "I hope you brought a book, your appointment is at 2." Dang, I was hoping to postpone senility until later in life. Oh, well, at least I get to take my dad out to lunch today and then I'll go back in for my physical.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:05 AM   #22  

I have no idea what happened to me last night. My BSL was 6.7 when I went to sleep around 11pm. I woke up at quarter to 3 in the morning and felt ill. My blood sugar was 6.4 and was physically sick but only a very small amount.

My BSL was 17.2 when I woke up at 7:30 this morning. No breakfast until it goes right down!

Scrambled eggs for breakfast/brunch/lunch methinks!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #23  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #24  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra View Post
I have no idea what happened to me last night. My BSL was 6.7 when I went to sleep around 11pm. I woke up at quarter to 3 in the morning and felt ill. My blood sugar was 6.4 and was physically sick but only a very small amount.

My BSL was 17.2 when I woke up at 7:30 this morning. No breakfast until it goes right down!

Scrambled eggs for breakfast/brunch/lunch methinks!
Actually, your morning number is not from excess food... it's because you haven't eaten since last night, and your liver has "noticed" that your blood sugar is low, so it does its job and dumps glucose into your bloodstream so you don't go too low. It also dumps hormones that help you move from sleeping into waking and get ready for the day (the same stress hormones, in smaller doses, that you'd get in a fight or flight situation).

So long as you don't eat, your liver will keep dumping glucose into your bloodstream. A small meal, low in carbs, will signal the liver to stop, and your body can get on with dealing with your meal-response sugars

So waiting until the numbers go down probably won't help, and may just make things harder. YMMV.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Height: 5' 4"

Mine was too high this am too, 179. Ahh!
Was good most of yesterday. Think I'll get some
diabetic bars for night.
oldwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #26  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Default Snowy Wonderland In May

Started fasting last night at 8 in preparation for a blood test this morning. Woke up to a snow covered world this morning. I'm glad I put off planting the garden until June. I have 2 new peach trees that I moved into the garage last night. Still need to get them planted. Went to the lab first thing this morning and gave them blood and urine. I didn't realize that my doctor's appointment yesterday was for a diabetes check-up. I was suppose to get both tests done yesterday, but I had just eaten lunch and I didn't have the urge to pee. Hope everyone is having a warmer day than me. This morning's FBG was 89.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Actually, your morning number is not from excess food... it's because you haven't eaten since last night, and your liver has "noticed" that your blood sugar is low, so it does its job and dumps glucose into your bloodstream so you don't go too low. It also dumps hormones that help you move from sleeping into waking and get ready for the day (the same stress hormones, in smaller doses, that you'd get in a fight or flight situation).

So long as you don't eat, your liver will keep dumping glucose into your bloodstream. A small meal, low in carbs, will signal the liver to stop, and your body can get on with dealing with your meal-response sugars

So waiting until the numbers go down probably won't help, and may just make things harder. YMMV.
Lol, after I got sick, I drank a small glass of orange juice. (just under 10g of carbs) That is why I don't get what happened!

I took 5 units of my Novologue and sat it out until 10:30, by which time, my BSL had gone right down to 10.2 so I was happy enough to eat.

^_^ Back to normal numbers now
Old 05-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #28  
Madeleine

cassandra, I wonder if you might be getting sick, infections will up your glucose too.
Stuck to my woe today, in spite of working half the night. Am making a healthy supper now, and baking another dish to have for snacks, or tomorrow's breakfast etc. just in case. Trying to do better with having food ready to go so I can stick to plan.
fasting 4.8, post meals 5.8 and 6.2 today.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #29  
Madeleine

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
Went to the second of Kaiser's Diabetes basic classes.
All in all, it was a very informative class. And the section on meds made me doubly glad that I'm not on any yet, and even more determined to push off the need for meds as long as humanly possible!
Synger, it is great that you are working so hard to get away from pre-diabetes, but there can be good things about some meds. Using metformin, for instance, has been shown to prevent or delay diabetes onset in pre-diabetics.
the site diabetes 101 is helpful.
I lost some weight in the first three months after my pre-diabetes diagnosis in December. But I still couldn't keep my glucose under control unless I kept my carb count to under 25g/day, which I didn't think was a realistic thing to do for the rest of my life!. My doc discouraged metformin as she felt it might impede weight loss, but agreed to give a trial for next 3 months.
I am still losing weight, slowly, but it took 4 months to lose 11 pounds before, so I am not expecting anything really fast, and I did regain a bit in early April after my mother died and I was able to lose that 3 pounds just fine. So I can't say its affecting weight loss so far, and I haven't had a high sugar since I started it, even when I have had a few extra carbs, though I haven't exactly challenged myself.
So, I don't want to discourage your excellent lifestyle changes so far, but to let you know that for some of us, the metformin is a good tool to add to those lifestyle changes to ensure we stay of track.
I am really proud of you and what you have accomplished so far, and hope that you have great success. Its wonderful that your classes have been helpful to you as well.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #30  

Went to bed last night with a 6.4 and woke up with a 4.3 ^___^

Pretty happy with that!

I am going to go to my favourite cafe (I call it "The Orange Place" because they have these lovely orange curtains!) today for lunch. I am praying that today is Leek & Potato soup day! lol They make the most scrummy leek and potato soup! ^___^

I usually have a ham and cheese sandwich on brown bread alongside it