3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Diabetes Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/)
-   -   Diet Delivery Menu Suitable? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/199428-diet-delivery-menu-suitable.html)

Casandra 04-15-2010 05:49 AM

Diet Delivery Menu Suitable?

I am probably the WORST type 1 diabetic ever. I cannot plan or keep to a diet to save my life, and I'm an even worse cook! :P

So, I wanted to post this website, and see what you guys thought of the menu this diet has on offer and whether or not it would be suitable for a diabetic. It is touted as a Low GI diet, and I'm not very much in the know about these different types of plans and such, so just after a few opinions really.

http://www.bodychef.com/7-Day-Diet/Low-GI-Diet-Plan/

I would probably stick to this diet for at least a month. It costs around $540 for a 28 day supply of food, the only thing I would have to buy is milk. All meals, snacks, and condiments are included.

I recently gained well in excess of 15lbs in a short span of time (about a month) and I want to kickstart my weightloss safely. I'm also starting to see some of the best consistent blood sugar readings I've ever had in my 6 years as a Type 1. My HBA1c went from 14 this time last year to 9.6 this past friday. I was so pleased, but want to see better control, actually I NEED better control lol.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Justwant2Bhealthy 04-15-2010 09:28 PM

It looks pretty good to me, Casandra; using lots of whole grains, veggies, and lean meats. They do allow 3 servings of fruit a day: breakfast, snack, and dessert for dinner; and a variety of other snacks for other days. You can just choose which menus that offer meals that you would like -- there are 8 choices there.

You can try it and see how your sugars are; then later use the menu plans to do your own meals at home, and save a bit of money. :hug:

Casandra 04-16-2010 12:19 PM

That is exactly what I was hoping to do :) Its just good to see someone else saying "that's not half bad" for a diet delivery plan lol :)

I'm always worried about what I'm eating!!

Justwant2Bhealthy 04-16-2010 04:02 PM

Yes, I was quite impressed with the variety in it; and it is in keeping with the three Diabetic Cookbooks that I have here. I have the Adult and Children's diabetic cookbooks from the Canadian Diabetes Association, plus one I picked up this week from the American Medical Association. I have also done some research into the GI numbers on the net; and I also have Rick Gallop's Book called the "GI Diet".

You can also add some eggs and milk into that menu if you like too; and have the protein snacks in the evening to help your BSL numbers in the mornings. I think it will be flexible enuff for you to do that too. Let us know if you decide to try it, and how it goes ... :)

Casandra 04-16-2010 04:13 PM

I certainly will be trying it out within the next month or two. I would like to be a bit lighter for my 22nd birthday which is at the end of May. I get paid quite a bit extra on Monday, so I'm thinking of signing up next week or the week after ^_____^

Yah, the only thing that I would *HAVE* to buy is milk with this diet. I always have eggs handy anyways, DH loves egg butties. Basically, boil eggs for 8-9 minutes, slice them up super thin (1-2mm) and layer them on a buttered (I use a heart healthy low everything spread) hamburger buns or rolls with thinly sliced cucumber. Its delicious! ^____^

fatmad 04-20-2010 04:53 AM

I like that the snacks are also incorporated, and will help you stick to the plan. You HAVE to be sure not to snack extra tho, and these smaller serving sizes will take some getting used to. I think this could be a really good investment for you. Wish there was something like this available here for me, I'd do it.