Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #1  

Default Another Recently Diagnosed

Hi there. Last week, I was diagnosed as diabetic. My A1C was 7.4. Can someone tell me how high that is?

Anyway, I'm just here looking for support and hope. I met w/a nutritionist who told me to keep my carbs between 30 and 45 per meal.

I've also started on Metaformin.

I'm starting back to the gym today. I plan to go 3x per week to start.

Does this sound like a decent plan so far?

Any comments and replies greatly appreciated. I really need to feel like all isn't lost.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #2  
Call me Finki =)

S/C/G: 400/300/155

Height: 5'6"

For someone who doesn't have diabetes, a normal A1C level is about 5 percent — although it can range from 4.5 to 6 percent. Someone who's had uncontrolled diabetes for a long time might have an A1C level as high as 25 percent.

When the A1C test is used to diagnose diabetes, an A1C level of 6.5 percent or higher on two separate tests indicates you have diabetes. A result between 6 and 6.5 percent is considered prediabetes, which indicates a high risk of developing diabetes.

For most people who have previously diagnosed diabetes, an A1C level of 7 percent or less is a common treatment target. If your A1C level is higher than 7 percent, your doctor may recommend a change in your diabetes treatment plan. Remember, the higher your A1C level, the higher your risk of diabetes complications.

Here's how A1C level corresponds to average blood sugar level, in milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) and millimoles per liter (mmol/L):

A1C level Average blood sugar level

5 percent 80 mg/dL (4.4 mmol/L)
6 percent 120 mg/dL (6.7 mmol/L)
7 percent 150 mg/dL (8.3 mmol/L)
8 percent 180 mg/dL (10 mmol/L)
9 percent 210 mg/dL (11.7 mmol/L)
10 percent 240 mg/dL (13.3 mmol/L)
11 percent 270 mg/dL (15 mmol/L)
12 percent 300 mg/dL (16.7 mmol/L)
13 percent 333 mg/dL (18.5 mmol/L)
14 percent 360 mg/dL (20 mmol/L)

Last edited by Gelene; 03-08-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Gelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default welcome

we welcome you here. I have felt very supportive since starting to visit this group, and have learned a lot. I highly recommend "diabetes for Canadian dummies" (assume you are canadian because you are using mmol as your levels.)
THere are some good websites as well. Also you need to look at the grams of carbs, but also the types of carbs you get. (glycemic index stuff).
Not all carbs are created equal, so whole grains, and high fibre, and getting more carbs from veggies and less from cereals and grains.
There is also some debate here about the grams of carbs, I find that I have no trouble keeping my sugars stable with about 60 grams of carbs or less in a day, and much more trouble with more than that. I also could only lose weight very slowly with that, so I am now about 30g of carbs per day to lose weight, and this is working nicely for me. So if you need to lose weight as well, would recommend that any calories you cut out of your diet should be carb calories, and keep the protein and healthy fats in the diet.
Exercise really helps reduce insulin resistance and should be a priority.
This is not a disaster. In the three months since I was diagnosed pre-diabetic, I am really pretty pleased about how well I have gotten my sugars under control and with my weight loss, and fitness level. I feel very hopeful that I can reverse or at least reduce the negative effects of this disease and keep on track.
you can do it too.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote