Old 01-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #1  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Question Diabetics.....anybody got a brown looking rash on back on neck?

I have these brown looking rash on the back of my neck...and under my arms. its really not a rash, but that's what it looks like. It wont wash off, it is permanent. Ive found some articles that says it may be due to insulin resistance--which makes since being I have been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.

does anybody else have them?
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's called Acanthosis nigricans http://www.diabetesmonitor.com/b313.htm

My husband and I both have some of this. My husband, he's type II diabetic has more and darker spots than I have (I'm insulin resistant).

For me, I only have small patches on my inner thighs.

From what I've read, they do fade when blood sugar is under good control.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-13-2009 at 02:14 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/143/135

Height: 5'9

My mom used to have something like this on the back of her upper arms. It was during a time she wasn't treating her body very well- "fasting" and "cleansing" to an extreme- I'm talkin back bone, rib-popping extreme. Do you think she could have caused herself to be insulin resistant? She's never had a problem with diabetes, to my knowledge, but then again I don't think she was very honest with me at that time.
HealthPNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If it was Acanthosis nigricans, my understanding is that it is always insulin related. But as I understand it, it usually appears around skin creases and folds, so the back of the upper arm wouldn't be the normal place for it.

Also, diabetes, insulin resistance and PCOS can and often do go undetected for some time, because symptoms during the beginning stages often aren't severe enough for a person to feel the need to see a doctor. And even if they do, if the doctor doesn't suspect an insulin problem, he may not test for it.

Last edited by kaplods; 01-13-2009 at 02:46 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #5  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Amazing . . . I learn new things all the time around here. Thanks for the information KAPLODS. Since I've never experienced the problem in my 20 or so years with type II, I've just never had occasion to read up on it I guess.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/143/135

Height: 5'9

Ok thanks
HealthPNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #7  

Height: 5'5''

I realize this is an old thread, but I'd like to get someone's opinion about these darks spots on my neck. I do not have diabetes (I took my A1C test 2 months ago and was in the normal range, though very close to falling into the pre-diabetes range). These spots are only on my neck. There are no other dark spots on my body.

I've been getting dark spots on my neck since 2008. I went to a dermotolgist a few years ago when I first noticed a dark spot, but all she said was there was no cure and she prescribed me a tropical/skin lightening cream to use if it bothered me.

These particular dark sports just recently appears about 7 weeks ago. They don't itch, but they are really dark. When they first appear, the skin is flakey...but the flakeyness (sp?) disappears a few hours after the dark spot appears. It's very strange.

I don't use soap on my neck for fear of making the dark spots worst and I haven't change laundry detergent or anything of that sort. I can't figure out why they are occuring. As far as I know, I do not have any food allergeries and I stay out of the sun most of the time. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so it's not like I get much sun to begin with. I didn't have dark spots show up until just a few years ago.

Any ideas? It's more of a psychological trama for me than anything else. I get hide these spots for now since the weather is still cool/cold and I can wear turtleneck shirts and sweathers. However, when spring and summer come, I do not know how I'm going to be able to hide these dark spots.

Any suggetions on what to do? Has anyone experienced this? Any insight on this situation is greatly appreciated!

Dark Spots on My Neck

Last edited by FreeBird3; 02-13-2012 at 03:52 AM.
FreeBird3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #8  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Sorry, this doesn't sound at all like the diabetic browning of skin, and as an RN, I can't think what it may be, and have little training in skin diseases. I think you should definitely see a doctor and rule out anything dangerous, and see if its treatable. Diagnosing rashes via internet is NEVER a good idea.
I hope it is just a minor problem!
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote