Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #31  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi Laurie . . . Has DH been to see a dietician specializing in Diabetes? . . . they will probably recommend an exchange system plan for him and you will find it very similar to LAWL which is exchange-based.

The important thing is to ensure that he spreads his carbs (be they from starches or from fruit and veggies) as evenly as possible throughout the day and to make sure that his meals are balanced.

Good luck to you both . . .
Old 03-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #32  
Laurie

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the response Meowee. He has not been to a dietician yet. He tells me the is supposed to see one but hasn't been told when the appt is yet. I did suggest that maybe I should go with so I know first hand what he is and is not supposed to eat/do. Not that I don't think he'll tell me it's just that sometimes he just tells me what he remembers and it's sometimes a week before he remembers everything. I think that's a male thing. I really just want to try to make this as easy on him as possible without freaking him out about his eating choices - good vs bad, healthy vs not so healthy. You get my drift. I think I'll lurk around this forum and see what sort of knowledge I can glean from it. I may pop in here again if that's OK.

Thanks again!!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #33  
Onward and Downward

Absolutely OKAY . . . and take a look back through some of the materials on this Forum for some interesting reading in the meantime.

Here's a link to the American Diabetes Association website . . . http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp . . . and another to the Canadian Diabetes Association . . . http://www.diabetes.ca/ . . . both will help you while away any spare time you may have.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #34  

Cool

Hi, all. Yawn. Daylight savings time really does me in. I'm sleeping worse than usual due to my bad knee. Will have to find out whether or not I can get another cortizone shot. Don't really like to do it because I believe it damages the cartilage. Took some Aleve, but that did nothing. Getting old is not fun! Today a client brought 4 bags of Starbucks pastries into the office! There's hardly anybody here to eat it. But I'm going to resist.
Welcome to the newbies!
Bethz - I've always been told to take Glucophage after meals. Interesting that you are having success taking it before meals. I'll have to discuss this with my endo.
Rosey - when you're through with your spring cleaning, can you come and do mine? I need to get rid of a lot of stuff so I have room for a computer, but just contemplating it makes me sigh and do nothing.
Meowee - I'm not sure what a wii system is but if it's comuter games, I'm all for it. However, be careful with some of them as we diabetics are more prone to carpal tunnel syndrome. I used to play Collapse on MSN games but had to stop because I was beginning to feel wrist pain.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #35  
Onward and Downward

Wii is the latest Nintendo gaming system . . . it's very interactive . . . guess you can play a lot of sit-still-and-kill-bad-guys sort of stuff on it, but it's really making a name for itself because it gets you up and moving. It's become so popular they are actually putting them into a lot of senior's centres lately. It has proved so popular that it became the "tickle-me-Elmo" gift of this past Christmas -- i.e., every body wants it and no body can get their hands on it. Here's a link to the main site -- take a look at some of those little videos of people trying it out (just scroll down the page a tiny bit) . . . http://www.nintendo.com/wii/what
Old 03-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #36  

Hi everyone.. cloudy and melting here today..my sl was 123 which is odd as i didnt eat out of the ordinary and no snacking..Laurie.. i took a class that the local hospital offered.. it was 3 days and covered everything about diabetes..alot of spouses where there with their mates to learn , esp the food parts.. most insurances pay for this and i really recommend it..meowee my grkids have wii and i tried it.. it really gets you going but i wasnt very good at it but was fun..rosetta..am sry your knee is bothering you,do you think you will have to have the knee replacement surg?..Bethz.. i take glucophage xl..2000 mg after dinner at night and glipazide..it works for me..and have always taken that amount..at my last checkup the dr wanted to know if i had alot of lows(which i dont) so she said my meds where working even tho i had lost about 37 # since she last saw me.. i think every case is diff..and what works for one doesnt always for another.. well i have been busy still cleaning..mostly organizing stuff..we all have to much STUFF..at least i do.. and when i was home for my moms funeral going thru all here stuff was harder still..so i want to get rid of the excess at my house..maybe a garage sale this spring would be the simplest..jeanne hope things are ok for you and monet you have been mia too..hello to those i missed and (((hugs))) rosey
Old 03-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #37  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . . Good Morning . . . It's time to start the day.

Another lovely and sunny (but cold) one shaping up for northern Nova Scotia. So far no plans for being out and about . . . but I'm sure I can think up some excuse if I try hard enough.

My BGL was 7.0 (126) this morning, after finishing at 5.8 (104) at bedtime again yesterday. You are so, so right ROSEY . . . the only thing you can count on with this disease is that there is nothing you can count on. Not only is everybody different from everyone else, but we seem to have so many variations within our own experiences, that it is downright strange.

Anyway, gang . . . we'll just keep putting one foot in front of the other as we all head down the great winding road to better health and fitness together . . . keep things moving and shaking today.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #38  

Howdy Everyone!

We had a nice day yesterday. Dh and I walked the dog around the block. She is a mess to walk. She pulls too much. I want to get an anti pull collar. Dh said she needs a shock collar. This dog has no manners. We have tried to teach her..she is better but still. Just for the record..we have 2 kitty cats too. Mr. C we've had for 10 years and he is about 13 years old and Miss Kitty is 8. She is my daughter's cat... and she is a saint. She has a high tolerance for the child.

My blood sugar was 108 when I went to bed..took my met but not the avandia and it was 127 this morning. Not bad but I would like to start off lower. My bs used to be in the 150-160 range in the morning so I should be happy with that.

I am dragging this morning because of daylight saving time and running late.
Talk to you all soon!
Lisa
Old 03-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #39  

Cool

Hi, all. My knee is better today, thank goodness. I will eventually have to have both knees replaced but I'm not planning that in the near future. Couldn't take that much time off work, for one. And I'm chicken. I know things would improve if I lost weight.
Meowee - thanks for the info on wii. I'll put it on my list to get when I finally get a computer of my own.
Lisa - I wish my a.m. bgls were around 127. They vary between 150s to 170s.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #40  
Onward and Downward

Oh ROSETTA . . . I've been hearings some awful stories lately about how long knee replacements take to heal.

Where is everybody today? It's been "one of those days" for me -- the kind where things just seem to keep piling up on you. BGL has been fairly happy though at 6.1 (110) this morning and 5.2 (94) just before dinner. Once again . . . strange?

Anyway . . . just wanted to say a quick HELLO . . . hope to see you all tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #41  

Rosetta-My bgl used to be in the 150's in the morning untilI started taking my met at noon and bedtime. It really has helped. I think that and the little bit of exercise I do has helped.

The cold and wind are coming back!! YUCK!!! I want spring!! I want warm. Ok, I know in July when I am hot..I want the cold. We are never satified with what we have. LOL

I did ok today, we ate out for lunch. I had a hamburger and fries at Wendy's and regreted it. Why didn't I order at side salad??? I should be walking right now but really don't have the energy. If I eat crappy..I feel crappy.

Lisa
Wyoming
Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #42  
Onward and Downward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_WY View Post
If I eat crappy..I feel crappy.
Lisa
Wyoming
Ain't that the truth . . . at least it certainly is for me . . . definitely drives home that old adage about "you are what you eat" doesn't it.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #43  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Another day . . . another storm for Atlantic Canada. So far, a little bit of snow and lots of howling wind.

My BGL seems to like it though . . . happily sitting at 6.0 (108) first thing this morning.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 AM   #44  
On My Road To Good Health

S/C/G: 286/256/160

Height: 5'9"

Smile Having a great day so far!

Been busy putting together a movie from music and pix for the boys' basketball banquet this weekend, also have some display boards with pix on them to celebrate the season. It is alot of work...but well worth it! Tonight is for resting and watching Survivor!

Having a good day at work today. Went and got some soup from the kitchen because it is cold in my office today. BRRR! (Could be from drinking all that water!) Had the points to spare!

B: simply quaker oatmeal, banana (5)
S: italian wedding soup, herbal tea (6)
L: turkey and swiss on rye, apple (9)
S: popcorn (2)
D: veggie salad with italian dressing, green beans, steak (6)
Water: plenty, I finish and refill my glass when anyone comes into the office
Exercise: one mile hall-walking

Have a great day everyone! Bethz
Old 03-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #45  

Morning everyone.. i have been having computer problems..hopefully the sil will have it all fixed this evening.. we had a lot of virus's that messed everything up ..my sl has been a little up 112.. think its stress tho..hope u all have great day rosey
Closed Thread