Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default DIETING WITH DIABETES - October 2007

Here we go -- it's another brand new month -- a whole new start for our continuing journey down that long winding path to better health and fitness.

If you are a continuing member . . . . . . to our new monthly chat thread. Glad you could make it.

If you are a brand new member . . . . . . as well as the new chat thread, and to the Diabetes Support forum. Please drop in to the "Getting to Know You" (Sticky) thread to read a little about some of us and to tell us a little about yourself.

I'll be looking forward to seeing less of you, more often, gang . . . have a great moving and shaking kind of day . . . keep doing the best you can, as much as you can, and the rewards will follow.

Last edited by meowee; 10-01-2007 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:45 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

Okay, Chickies . . . welcome to OCTOBER . . . I love this month. Let's all try to make it one of our best ever . . . that means great BGL control and great diet and exercise regimens as well.

I'm promising myself that I will get moving this month -- as many of you know I really abhor exercise. But I think my magnificently quick weight loss this year (13 pounds in 9 months - give me a break) reflects the fact that I've come as far as I can without getting into a regular exercise routine. Soooooo, yesterday I ordered two new 'toys' . . .

(1) . . . http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/pr...929_TonyLittle

(2) . . . http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/pr..._070929_UrbanR

Now all I have to do is (well, wait for them to arrive in a couple of weeks) use them. Actually, as I was doing a little bouncing around with my new "Buddy Ball" (replaced the one that sprung a leak), I was looking around my family/sun room and wondering where on earth I thought I was going to put all this stuff. Will just have to make room, because I know myself well -- out of sight means out of mind.

Anyway . . . weather is not exactly bright and shiny for the start of the new month, but hopefully it will improve. Temperature is a very chilly -1C/30F, but that is supposed to go to 17C/63F. We'll just have to wait and see what really happens, I guess. BGL is acceptable at 6.3 (113).

Here's a little extra reading for you this morning, gang . . . a good article about Intermittent Claudication . . . http://www.everydayhealth.com/Public...e37dd3f19&p=27

Better get a move on, many places to go and things to do. Hope everybody has a great moving and shaking kind of day planned . . . see you later . . .
Old 10-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #3  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Good morning ladies!
What a glorious morning that we get to live in today! WOW!

Meow- Wow- you are gearing up and will be ready to take on the exercise monkey. I use to hate exercise too and after I did it for awhile and really got into it I am hooked now. It gives you such an incredible rush that once you get good and hooked you will never want to stop. At least I hope that happens to you too because when I exercise I feel like I can take on the world.

I will see you ladies later today after work-
Have a wonderful day!!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #4  
Onward and Downward

Wow CRIMEGIRL . . . I really, really, really hope I can get hooked, too.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #5  

Morning everyone..im back and we are the happy owners of a 2007 subaru forester,silver with dk grey interior( it had 8,500 mileage on it)..we looked at alot of vehiclesand priced them new and used and liked the subaru the best..we got a used one becuz they had a better warrenty than the new.. go figure.. anyways we have bumper to bumper 100% 0 deductable for 92,000 miles..and the finnancing was less then what we were preapproved at and got the payments right where i wanted them.. we drove home yesterday and it was rainy and windy the new car drove mighty fine, the only thing we wanted and didnt get was a diff color but the silver was all they had..we'v always had red cars but change is good right..my diet was abit hay wire while gone.. we had dinner late the day of car buyin we went to a place called the golden corral buffet.. gee to many choices but it sure was good..i had prime rib salad and mashed potatoes and couldnt resist a very small ice cream with strawberries, it was fun to see my 14 yr old grandson sample everything dont know where he put it all..the scale said im the same this am so thats good also sl was 104 anothe plus..im glad to be home and hopefully stay put for awhile..welcome crime girl..maybe your enthusiasm about exercise will rub off as i aviod it even tho i know i should..meowee maybe we can get going and add exercise to our daily routine..im scared of that ball thing i have terrible balancewell chickies need to do some house work and laundry yuk..ttfn rosey
Old 10-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Cinnamon questionable as diabetes therapy

Thursday, September 27, 2007

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Though some studies have hinted that cinnamon may aid blood sugar control, it's too soon to recommend the spice for people with diabetes, according to researchers.

Their study of 43 adults with type 2 diabetes found that cinnamon supplements did nothing to change blood sugar, insulin or cholesterol levels over three months.

The findings, published in the journal Diabetes Care, stand in contrast to some past studies that have suggested cinnamon may help with diabetes control. In one study of people with type 2 diabetes, for example, researchers found that those who added some cinnamon to their daily diets had a dip in their blood sugar and cholesterol levels.

Lab research suggests that cinnamon may make body cells more sensitive to insulin, a hormone that shuttles sugar from the blood into cells to be used for energy. Type 2 diabetes develops when cells lose their sensitivity to insulin.

There's also evidence that cinnamon slows digestion, which can temper the blood sugar rise that follows a meal.

In the new study, researchers at the University of Oklahoma in Oklahoma City randomly assigned type 2 diabetics to take either cinnamon capsules or a placebo every day for three months. The cinnamon group took two capsules a day, each of which contained 500 milligrams of the spice. The placebo group took capsules containing wheat flour.

In the end, there were no differences in the groups' average levels of blood sugar, insulin or cholesterol, according to the researchers, led by Dr. Steve M. Blevins.

The reason for the conflicting findings from this and earlier studies may have to do with differences in the study groups, Blevins and his colleagues explain.

Most patients in the current study, for example, were on various diabetes drugs; in an earlier study that found cinnamon to lower blood sugar, no patients were on any of these drugs.

The researchers conclude that more studies are needed to see how various factors -- like overall diet and medication use -- affect any benefits of cinnamon in managing diabetes.

"Until then," they write, "cinnamon cannot be generally recommended for treatment of type 2 diabetes in an American population."

SOURCE: Diabetes Care, September 2007.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #7  
Onward and Downward

Thanks for the article LYNN . . . at least they are not saying that it does any harm . . . soooooo, since i really like cinnamon, I'll continue to eat it . . . I never did think of it as 'medicinal'

Congratulations ROSEY . . . I know you will love the Forrester. I've had mine since 99 -- the engines just never wear out. Now I'm jealous because I want a newer one.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #8  
Happy New Rears!

Happy October, girls!

8.2 BG this morning (147) I have no idea what's happening, I've been good.

My hubby left for Ireland last night on a golfing trip with his club, so I have a week to myself, no cooking for him or problems with him interrupting my exercise. Hopefully I'll have a great week with good results to show for it.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 AM   #9  
Onward and Downward

Maybe there's something in the air, THIN . . . I was a horrible 8.6 (155) this morning . . . Might have been a little stressed because I was in a hurry to take Jazz to the vet for his regular blood work. Hope his BGL is better than mine. Guess I'll find out when I pick him up this afternoon. Like the new avatar, BTW. Enjoy your week.

ROSEY, I have a stability ring that I use with my ball that helps to prevent it from scooting out from under you. I do think you'd like a ball . . . just for sitting on and bouncing a little, they are no problem. Some of the advanced stuff I've seen people do on them -- well, forget that.

We have sun today although it is rather cool out there. In my continuing resolve to do something resemblin exercise every day this month, I have done a little pretend bicycling so far this morning. Enough to get my heart-rate up a little and to remind me that I definitely have calf-muscles. When the new toys arrive, I think I'm going to bring Buddy Ball upstairs and use him as a computer chair. They say that one of the things that is great about the stability balls is that you are forced to use your abdominals to keep yourself balanced and you hardly even know it -- I figure any extra ab-work is bound to be a good thing.

Here's a cute little FFFF that caught my eye this morning as I was thinking about my above-mentioned October resolve . . .

Always remember the distinction between contribution and commitment. Take something as simple as bacon and eggs. The chicken makes a contribution. The pig makes a commitment.

And good morning to everybody else, too . . . See you all later gang. Keep things moving and shaking out there . . .
Old 10-02-2007, 02:14 PM   #10  

Morning.. another fall day here..the suns suppose to be out but so far ive not seen it..i want to go cruising and look at the fall colors befor they are all blown off the trees but not in the rain..my sl was 103 this am.. my wt is the same..i have my annual check up tomorrow.. i hope my dr is pleased with my progress.. i know i am..nothing planned for the day.. theres certainly alot i could do but "there's always tomorrow"..we are missing alot of old memebers where are they all??? come back u all we miss u ttfn ((hugs))) rosey
Old 10-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #11  
Onward and Downward

Jazz is home from the vet and wanted to give you guys an update since I know you will understand . . .

Unfortuntely, 3 units twice a day is leaving him way too high again. His lowest reading today was over 12 (over 216) and his highest was almost 25 (450).

Once again I've been told how difficult it is to regulate BGL for older cats and not to get my hopes up that he will ever really stabilize.

We will now try 4 units twice a day for the next couple of weeks. Guess there's pretty much no place else to go if that doesn't do it.

Think I need to go cuddle a cat right now. . .

Last edited by meowee; 10-02-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/220/150

hey all. I must admit that I've been lurking alot. My oldest started school this fall and life got busier. BGLs are staying between 88 and 110 as long as I remember to have mid morning and mid afternoon snacks otherwise they will go low on me.

Scale victory: I've finally lost about 10lb. I really should change my ticker. And that is official loss since I have to rely on my dr. visits 'cause my baby (3 yrs old on the 12th) broke my home scale and we haven't replaced it.

NSV: All my fav. shirts are getting too big. And I'm finally down to a size 16 jean from a size 22 starting point.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:27 PM   #13  
Happy New Rears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post

Once again I've been told how difficult it is to regulate BGL for older cats and not to get my hopes up that he will ever really stabilize.

Think I need to go cuddle a cat right now. . .

Poor Jazz, just hang in and see how things go with the 4 units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKitty View Post

Scale victory: I've finally lost about 10lb.
NSV: All my fav. shirts are getting too big. And I'm finally down to a size 16 jean from a size 22 starting point.
That's great news
Old 10-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #14  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Another mostly overcast day . . . but 'they' say we are going to get into the 20s (70s) temperature wise. Cats (including Jazz) and kittens all seem fine this morning, although we did have a TP chewing good time last night. BGL was a dreadful 8.6 (155) again this morning. It was 5.3 (95) at dinner time last night and I did not go haywire with eating. Guess a few more brain cells bit the dust overnight.

My e:mail in-box is a treasure chest of interesting stuff this morning . . .

First . . . did you know that 2007 is the 25th anniversary of the development of those wonderful little things we all -- especially around here -- EMOTICONS have been around that long. Wowee, wow, wow . . .

Next . . . here's a little quiz for your entertainment and enlightenment . . . bet you get some surprises; I certainly did . . . http://www.prevention.com/cda/quizpa..._-Calorie%20IQ

Next . . . some comments we need to take to heart about exercise . . . http://www.everydayhealth.com/Public...e4fd46fce&p=35

And, last but definitely not least . . . the real information on those little sugar alcohols . . . they are definitely NOT carb and calorie free and they are NOT all created equal either . . . http://www.everydayhealth.com/public...6-C47C788A59CE

The one on sugar alcohols, I'll go and stick into our Tips and Tidbits Sticky as well.

Anyway . . . nothing else exciting for me . . . plan to bounce around a little with Buddy Ball this afternoon and I've already done a little psuedo-bike pedalling. Wow . . . three days in a row of actually doing some planned exercise, a new record for me . . . Keep things moving and shaking gang and I'll see you later . . .
Old 10-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #15  

dear thingirlinfatbody you wrote something on one of my posts, and you have no idea how much your words have helped me and given me strength and pushed me to try again. THANK YOU, THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Closed Thread