Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:56 PM   #46  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone. Happy 4th. I'm having a lazy day today - watching the Monk-fest on USA network and puttering around the house. My eldest called last night & is coming to visit with his kids & gf weekend after next. Means I'll have all 5 grands around - my favorite thing. Meowee - glad you had a nice visit with your human family. You and your feline family will probably be glad to have things back to "normal". I know I always am when they all leave. Hope everyone is having a nice doing-whatever-you-love kind of day.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #47  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Just back for a minute . . . another one of those amazing little coincidences . . . here's a little gem from my e:Mail this morning . . .

http://www.everydayhealth.com/public...e37dd3f19&p=60 . . .

See you later . . .
Old 07-05-2007, 07:05 AM   #48  
Happy New Rears!

4.8 this morning (86) lowest BG ever! maybe these extra walks are helping

Good morning eveyone, have terrific Thursdays.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #49  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning everybody . . .

Just a quick little HELLO for now, but I will be back later. See you soon . . .
Old 07-05-2007, 10:17 AM   #50  
having Senior Moments

'Morning all. Numbers are icky this morning from eating too much yesterday. Then to top it off, fell asleep in the recliner and slept there all night with lights & tv on, in my clothes, and never took any of my night meds. Sometimes I think I need a keeper. And, of course, I'm going to have this super high reflecting on my A1C, which I get drawn tomorrow for a dr. visit next week.

Catch you all later - I need to get some stuff done while the sun isn't shining.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #51  
Misfit

S/C/G: 264.5/238/150

Height: 5'6

Talking bloggity

Morning all- BG was 112 and I got to sleep in YAY!
Today was the last day of the contest and my weight on the work scale was 241.5. It had me starting at 267.5 so that is 26 lbs lost during the contest. My home scale, which is the one that I count :, had me at 236.5 and when I started at 264.5 so that was 28lbs down from April 19th with the first weigh in til today, July 5th. Not bad, not bad at all. I'm doing a dance for losing that much weight.LOL

Since the contest was based on percentage rather than pounds, I know that I won't win since I had 50lbs up on the third heaviest woman doing it. (Me being the second, the first who was my partner never lost much so was out of the running to win ) The way I figured, I had to lose 1.5 lbs just to keep up percentage-wise with the other ladies, never mind trying to surpass them. But either way we won't find out who won until the week after next Thursday since the person in charge starts her vacation on Saturday. I do think that I may have lost the most POUNDS though.

The woman in charge wants us to keep weighing in on a monthly basis because other job sites had expressed an interest in doing so. My first thought is that I'm so glad of being free from talking to her every Thursday that I don't want to do it BUT then logic kicks in and I think about the accountability. I don't know which I want more, the freedom or the accountability since I want to keep losing weight. (But I am really glad to be free of a twit who knows next to nothing about proper nutrition. She even admitted that I know more than her and she is a nurse!)

On another note, I've developed a problem with my left arm that I am fairly certain is due to my 65lbs-of-muscle dog pulling me when he takes me . . errr I mean I take him . . . for a walk. I affects me most when I lay on my left side and try to swing my left arm up to brush away my hair or reach my water bottle. I have to move it in a semi-circle and then move it up to reach and I can still feel *something* in there POP. We don't have a fenced in yard so I can't just let him run around at home, we're not allowed to walk the dogs where we live so I have to take him out to get his exercise in. He's just so damn stubborn when it comes to listening on a leash. He has to lead and always PULLS. I'm going to have to put him back on his gentle leader whether or not he likes it. If he keeps it up the next step will be one of those spikey-collars which I don't want to do but harnesses just enable him to pull more without choking himself and the choke collar we use now doesn't even deter him. I've even tried carrying treats with me but when he is away from home he wants nothing to do with them even at PetSmart. He is very social and doesn't have time for food. (wish I had that problem!)

Wow, that ran on way longer than I thought. LOL
Hope you all had a wonderful 4th and a great weekend coming up.

Missi
Old 07-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #52  
having Senior Moments

Missi - There is a thing called "frozen shoulder" that for some unknown reason diabetics have more than the general population. Getting treatment for it early can be a big help. I had it and let it go to the point I couldn't raise my arm at all. I ended up having to have surgery to fix it. Here's a Mayo Clinic link that talks about it. Be sure you go thru all the pages and see if that describes your situation. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fro...oulder/DS00416 . It's something you may want to ask your dr about. After I had surgery and rehab, I was taught exercises in Physical Therapy to do to keep it at bay. I don't do them every day, but whenever I have a twinge in either shoulder, I start doing them a couple of times a day and it will back off.

Last edited by soiley; 07-05-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:44 PM   #53  

Morning everyone..it has been very busy the last few days..we went to the 4th of july parade..it started out rainy and then cleared off and the sun came out..my dd and the grkids road in the parade on her dh work truck as they sponser a local car racer and the car was on the truck..my dh and i mil and friends sat on the curb and watched..it was a nice parade and tradition for us..this am i got the dh all packed to go to anchorage to help my oldest dd and her husband finnish the storage shed they are building,he will be gone till sunday..so im a free bird till tomorrow when i get all the kids back..so i hope to finnish my sewing today as its difficult when they are here..we went to see the movie ratattuiee(sp?) it sure was cute and we enjoyed it..now they are all excited for the new harry potter film(im getting them all advanced tickets so they can go on the 10th as a surprise)..my sl was 83 this am and i have to admit im a bit pooped.. not used to all this commotion but luv having them here inspite of it..missi wtg on the loss thats so awsome and keep it going..have agreat day everyone (((hugs))) rosey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cellphonepics 079.jpg (29.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg cellphonepics 081.jpg (38.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #54  
Misfit

Thanks soiley. I've read it and got that saved as a favorite. Thing is, it doesn't seem to be the shoulder joint itself but rather about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up. It feels like a tendon or something is popping as I shift it. I always use this same arm to walk the dog, as it always feels awkward using my right arm. I'm right handed but use my left more often. If it's still bugging me at my check up on the 19th I will ask my Dr about it.

Thanks alot
Old 07-05-2007, 03:13 PM   #55  

Cool

Hi, all. Have holiday hangover. Ate too much yesterday. Was supposed to start my program this week, but didn't. Will try again next week. Got out of work unexpectedly early on Tuesday so went to see Live Free, Die Hard. I'm not usually an action movie fan but i enjoyed this one. Yesterday saw Ratatouie. Great movie. The animation is so good and it's both an adult and kid movie. Rosey -- I can't wait for the next Harry Potter movie. Have your grandkids read the books?
As to the finger stick question, I use mostly the two middle fingers on my right hand. Once in awhile I use my little finger but never the thumb or forefinger. It seems to hurt more when I try it on my left hand.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #56  
Onward and Downward

OMG . . . I'm so sorry, gang . . .

I've been having another busy day. Way too little computer time for me. Had my favourite handyman around most of the morning, trying to figure out why my garage door opener is acting up -- unsuccessfully so far.

And then, would you believe . . . a bunch of relatives from Ontario just "popped" in unannounced early this afternoon. Love to see them but, wow, a little warning would have been nice. This is what happens when you live in a touristy-type of harbour town. At least nobody is staying with me tonight. So they are gone for the evening (I begged off dinner by promising to share lunch tomorrow). Food-wise, things have been pretty good today -- well a lot better, anyway. Hope I can keep my act together tomorrow too. Blood sugar-wise . . . not so great . . . I need my normal routines.

Yay MOM . . . great work with the weight loss. I think it could still be frozen shoulder, I know both of my upper arms act up a lot on occasion and that's what my doctor feels is the problem even though the worst pains are never in the actual shoulder joints.

Oh SOILEY . . . I know exactly how you feel. Hope we both get back to our routines soon.

Wow ROSEY . . . you are doing great even with your out-of-the-ordinairy activities. I'm jealous. Want to take me to the Harry Potter movie, too?

Okay ROSETTA . . . you'll get there, Chickie. Glad to hear you enjoyed both of those movies. I like Bruce Willis but not as much as I like cartoon features.

Well gang, gotta get a move on . . . need to do a few more things before I can feed the menagerie (they are having kitty beef stew) and myself (salmon with broccolli, cauliflower and carrots). Hope you all have a great moving and shaking evening . . . see you soon . . .
Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 AM   #57  
Happy New Rears!

Good morning gang.

Feeling a little bloated and icky this morning with that TOM. I haven't had a period in 4 months - but I think I am making up for it with this one which is extremely heavy. My BG was 6.8/122 this morning event though I ate very well yesterday. Blah

Meowee - I can't believe the people from Ontario wouldn't call first and just drop in! That kinda stuff drives me crazy - I need to be prepared for visitors lol

Rosey - I love the Die Hard series! looking forward to seeing the new on when it's on DVD. My daughter and I really want to see Transformers if we get a chance this weekend. Last weekend we went to Evan Almighty, it was just okay.

cmbmom - I hope your arm feels better soon, you have to teach your dog not to pull - it will make or walks so much more enjoyable.

Have a good day everyone -- it's Friday

Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #58  
Misfit

I'm open to suggestions on teaching him not to pull. We've tried harnesses, gentle leaders, regular collars, choke collars and treats. Nothing has worked. I've even discovered a dog park around here and I let him run with ther other dogs til he is beat and starts laying down a lot. But still when I put him on the leash, he pulls. I don't know what else to do other than buy a spike collar.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #59  
Happy New Rears!

Years ago we had a basenji who was a real 'puller'

We went to dog training lessons with her, and this is what we did.

we walked with her on the leash and when she pulled - we yanked so hard we pulled her right off her feet and we would say "heel"

It might make her yelp with the hard yank at her throat... we continued walking and as soon as she pulled - yank hard again and say heel, it is hard to do because you don't want to hurt them.

After about 20 times being yanked on their butt they start watching you to see what you are doing. When you stop - they stop, if they keep walking you yank them back hard again and say heel.

Also, we carried treats and when we would practice walking and when your dog stops when you do, you would give them a treat and a pat on the head. It really didn't take too long for her to understand that if she pulled, she would get yanked back on her butt. She started paying total attention to what we were doing and where we were instead of birds and cats and kids and just wanting to go go go.

I know your dog is a big strong dog and you are hurt, so you might need someone else to work with your dog.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:56 PM   #60  
having Senior Moments

Hi everyone. This is one of those weird weeks. Feels like we just had a weekend with the holiday on Wed. & here it is, time for a weekend again. Some of you know I'm 'mobility challenged' I guess you would call it - I can't walk without a walker, and sometimes need wheelchair because I can't walk at all. I've been trying for months trying to find some type of thing I can do for exercise. I've been talking to some of the ladies over at the WATP forum and they told me they thought it was adaptable to my situation. I got the "Easy Walk" tape, and I can do it with my walker. I can't do some of the waving arm stuff they do, I need my hands to keep me on my feet. I've done 2 miles so far this week. It's a great change from the exercise bike, plus I don't have to get on or off anything to do it. I'm so excited to find this and I work up a sweat doing it. I hardly ever do on the bike, because I can't do it very fast or hard. <- me doing the happy dance.

Missi - my shoulder problem always hurt more in the upper arm than the shoulder. Dr explained why to me but I don't remember. That's why I put off having it taken care of for so long, and the reason I had to have surgery was because I got tears in the big shoulder muscles from trying to make the arm do what I wanted it to do, in unnatural ways.

Hope everyone has great things planned for the weekend (I live vicariously thru you guys )
Closed Thread