Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Blood glucose levels

I know you guys are probably the best at knowing about blood glucose levels so I figured I'd ask you guys. I've been very curious about my own glucose levels just because I believe I have hypoglycemia (and have confirmed PCOS) so I got a monitor to test myself. I haven't been tested for diabetes lately although I do plan to go in for a complete set of blood tests soon

Anyway, I've only done one BGL test and it was about an hour after I ate a fairly balanced breakfast. (nothing processed, no refined carbs, mix of protein and carbs with a decent amount of fiber). My BGL was 86.

From reading stuff about BGL levels, it seems to mention having a high BGL (near 200) indicates diabetes. I also read that a BGL of below 60 is not good.

I'm going to try to do morning testing (before breakfast) when I remember to do so but I just wanted to know where I should be at in general and what is good. I am not sure if it makes a difference in someone who is diabetic rather than someone who has "insulin issues" such as hypoglycemia and PCOS. Anyway, I was wondering if those of you who are experienced in this area could point me to a good website or if you have tidbits to share that would be useful for someone starting to try to monitor her own BGLs.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi NELIE . . .

That is a pretty low reading for one hour after eating a balanced meal . . . are you sure your metre is coded correctly and that the test strips are within date?

Any reading between about 65 and 135 falls into the "normal range". People with absolutely no signs of insulin-resistance problems will fluctuate quite a bit within those levels. Nobody maintains an exact number all the time, regardless of what they eat.

Being constantly above "normal" can eventually (very long term - i.e., years) lead to all those nasty complications. Being constantly below "normal" brings about the danger of a severe hypoglycemic reaction which can result in coma (and worse).

Most endocrinologists like their patients to be around 100 to 120 fasting (first thing in the morning). Post-prandial (after meals) can go up to about 180 but should be getting back down to "normal" within about 2 to 3 hours of eating.

You might want to take a look at some of the informational 'Stickies' on the forum. They will lead you to some very informative web-sites. Definitely take a look at the ADA sight . . . http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp . . .

You are wise to want to get in control before things become a problem.

Have a good day.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I wonder if I can find some conversion charts somewhere. Our scale is single digits. 5 and 6 are good anything over 7 is diabetic trouble!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:12 AM   #4  

I found a conversion chart ... if you were my patient or came to our Diabetic Educator, anything between 80 and 120 would be fine. We'd be happy if you floated within that range all day no matter what you're eating and when (ie random blood sampling)
Old 03-26-2007, 05:58 PM   #5  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Height: 5'4"

Im glad that you posted this.

Since Ive tried to cut out all the sugar ( regular cokes and sweets) Ive not been feeling right. Im weak and dizzy a lot. Yesterday while driving thru town and walking thru the Dollar General I thought I would pass out. Once I got home I tried to check my blood sugar but I couldnt find mom's monitor. Today I started feeling like that again. I checked and it was 89. That was 2 hours after eating a sandwich,string cheese and a diet dr pepper.

I dont know if its low enough to be concerned about or if it is. Do you think all of the sugar that I used to consume was keeping it higher and Im just not used to the lower numbers yet?
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #6  

Anita, it could be that you are not used to the lower numbers. I know there are times when mine drops to the mid 80's and I feel definitely hypoglycemic if it has been running much higher. Two hours (and in what I have read, they say to be right on the two hours- not 'about') after a meal, should be your highest reading. It is possible that your body is very efficient in handling blood glucose, so your normal range doesn't fluctuate very much. If the dizziness and weakness don't resolve themselves pretty soon, please talk to your doctor. They ARE signs of low blood sugar, but even if they are, you need to have a doctor evaluate what is going on.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:46 PM   #7  
Yee Haw!

S/C/G: 278/220/130

Thank you.
Kamily828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:04 AM   #8  

Absolutely! Your body needs to work harder to find blood sugar if it has to come from more complex sources. Small meals and snacks closer together will help. Just make sure you're body always has a good source to draw from.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #9  
pan

S/C/G: 195/195/135

Height: 5 ft. 4 in.

Hi there,
I too began to start checking my blood sugar levels after I was diagnosed at having PCOS and also borderline glucose tests. The meters are pretty complicated - that is why most people who get diagnosed with diabetes get to meet with someone who walks them through the coding and all that stuff.

My doctor did not seem too concerned about a fasting glucose level of 115, which really scared me. I read somewhere that fasting of 120 is the determined cutoff for diabetes because that is when there begins to be damage to internal organs, like the kidneys. I figured if my fasting was at 115, I probably spent most of the day above 120! The Cleveland Clinic website says that a fasting glucose level of 80 is best because anything over that increases the risk of cardiac involvement. That scared the crap out of me!!

So, I am going to weigh myself tomorrow (Day one AGAIN) and also take my Metformin with a little protein tonight. That is a good thing for me to keep my AM sugars lower. One thing I did discover last summer - if I take a short walk after every meal (I can do that in the summer - I am a teacher) - and then retake my blood sugar it is always nicely lowered.

Thanks to whoever discussed when sugars are highest after eating. That will help me a lot. I have spent lots of time reading on this board, and it gives me so much info!!

Best luck to all,
Pan
pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:23 PM   #10  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi PAN . . .

Glad you've found us, chickie . . . hope you'll come and join us on our regular monthly Dieting with Diabetes thread . . . we'll be looking forwrd to chatting with you over there. It's amazing how much it can help just to be able to discuss things with others who can really understnd what you are going through.

Have a great moving and shaking evening . . . see you soon . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #11  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

I think the current guidelines (which have changed drastically since I was diagnosed in 1969) are 120-140 reading while fasting is considered pre-diabetic, and usually advised to lose wt. and do diabetic diet. Over 140 fasting is considered diabetic and is treated with drugs. Now back in the dark ages when I was diagnosed, you weren't considered for treatment unless your fasting was above 250. Now of course, that's just mind boggling, isn't it? Every person's "normal" is different. My doc is happy if I'm 80-120 because I still have frequent 300's when I get stressed, sick, etc. So basically, each dr. and each patient is different in what they consider a "good" reading, and where the patient feels the best.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote