Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default Dieting with Diabetes -- March '07

Here we go -- it's a brand new month -- a whole new start for our continuing journey down that long winding path to better health and fitness.

If you are a continuing member . . . to our new monthly chat thread. Glad you could make it.

If you are a brand new member . . . as well as the new chat thread, and to the Diabetes Support forum. Please drop in to the "Getting to Know You" thread to read a little about some of us and to tell us a little about yourself.

I'll be looking forward to seeing less of you, more often, gang . . . have a great moving and shaking kind of day . . . keep doing the best you can, as much as you can, and the rewards will follow.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #2  
stbakd

hi mowee
glen
Old 03-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #3  

Hello all. I've been so busy lately, I've just read through without posting. I lost 4 more pounds, so my total for this 6 weeks is 29. I haven't taken a shot in weeks and feel so much better already. I think it's exciting to think about how much better I'll feel 100 pounds from now. My 13 year old has lost 9 pounds now, and my dh has lost 38. I feel very fortunate to have all of us working toward this goal together. My dh and I are doing Phase 1 of South Beach (we both have diabetes). Mandi is eating the meals I cook for us, but she is having whole grain cereal and whole wheat bread just because she can't live without it. We are exercising together & just generally taking more opportunities to be active together whenever we get a chance. It's funny, but it no longer feels like we're on a diet. This is just the way we live now. Our only exception to the Phase 1 food lists is popcorn. We go to the movies every weekend, and we're just unwilling to give up that treat. In our favor, though, instead of having a 4 course meal before or after the movie and popcorn, the popcorn is our meal. Anyway, enough about us. I would love to know what programs you guys are doing and would appreciate any suggestions for activities we can do as a family that provide exercise without being exercise. Ya know what I mean?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #4  

Morning everyone..cold and very windy here this am..i was up early.. the dh had a poor night and got me up too he is recovering but has alot of discomfort still..he has a dr appt today and i have to run errrands..yesterday i cought up on housework yuk i hate doing it but the clutter was even bothering me..my snack attacks have lessoned..its was a real challenge for a few days.. maybe a delayed stress reaction..and it helps to not have the bad things around.. hope you all have great day and make good choices for yourself ((((hugs)))) rosey
Old 03-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #5  
creations

Just got back from the drs. The arthritis has gotten more serave in my left knee. He gave me 2 perscriptions,stay off it as much as possible,apply heat. If its not better,I go back in a month.
Today we've have rain,snow,sleet and thunder so that doesn't help.

Judy
Old 03-01-2007, 02:54 PM   #6  

Cool

Hi, all. March already! It's been cold and rainy here. Fine with me. Keeps the corporate A/C off. My weighin after the weekend binge was pretty bad. 4 lbs up on top of the 4 lbs I'd already put on earlier. I've been putting on and taking off the same 8 lbs for the last month. Am back on the wagon. If I stay good until mid-April, I will come close to meeting the insurance company's goal and will be able to stay in the program. I'm not hungry really, just craving things. Got to find something to keep my mind off it. I'm not a crafter and I don't have a computer at home so can't play games.
Meowee - I had two cataract surgeries in the 90s. They both went smoothly and my eyes are fine. Too bad about the wait for the other surgery, but the time will pass quickly.
Rosey - glad you stopped snacking. We all know how difficult it is to not eat when stressed.
Glen -
Old 03-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #7  

Hi everyone! I am trying to stay busy working. I fired the kiln today...it was full of greenware...or raw clay stuff. I will glaze the stuff over the weekend. I was supposed to go to the mountains, but couldn't when the little door over my gas cap would not open. I only had a 1/3 of a tank of gas, and no way to get gas in! We were able to access the latch from the trunk and get it open, so I will go up tomorrow instead. I have not been in a month, so it will be good to see my friend, and spend some time together.

Eating is going ok...I just wish I could see some progress on the scale. I feel so stuck! It is getting discouraging.

MEOWEE: I had a hyst two years ago for fibroids, and had to have it abdominally. Get some arnica cream...it helps the 'swelly belly' associated with abdominal surgery. PM me if you like...

Off to get some work done!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #8  
Onward and Downward

Hi Gang . . .

No time to chat right now, but I was just looking through my e:mail and saw this interesting article in this weeks d:life newsletter that I thought you might like to see . . .

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowCo...esistance.html

Will be back later. Have a good afternoon.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:29 PM   #9  

Morning everyone..we had a wind storm last night..creepy hearing the wind howl but its sunny and nice this am.. got my errands done and dh had a good report from the dr.. but she stressed again how impt it is to not have any guy type activitys right now.. i guess she knows my dh well as hes antsy to go snow machining to his cabin it takes 3 months to heal from this back fusion..hes not a patient man and cant get it in his head that hes not a 20 yr old anymore.. im handling it all pretty well so far..nothing new going on this week but next weekend my oldest dd is bringing me my new puppy..also when my dh sold his airplane he promised me and my girls a trip to las vegas well with all the unexpected medical expenses we realized that was out of the budget so we are having a vegas weekend right here.. meaning we are going to play bingo all weekend long..fri night,sat afternoon,sat night and sat late night.. should be alot of fun as my 2 girls and i have a blast with each ohter..and im really looking foreward to this and so are they..sooooo whats on all your agenda for this weekend? hope its fun for all and make good choices for yourself ((((hugs)))) rosey
Old 03-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #10  
Onward and Downward

See . . . I meant it when I said I'd be back . . . life has been a bit hectic today, and I still seem to be running behind.

Yesterday was even worse. Took my friend LouLou and her four Chihuahuas (or maybe that should be Chihuahuae ) to the Vet. Talk about excitment . . . they are all pretty hyper, but at least they are well socialized so they are not particularly yappy or snappy; just never sit still.

March came in like a lamb and today, we have a storm warning for later on this evening and overnight . . . doesn't it just figure. You certainly cannot tell the Spring is getting closer around here.

ROSEY . . . Good luck with DH - have you tried nailing his foot to the floor. Your pseudo Vegas night sounds great. Hope you have a great time with the puppy.

MONET . . . Thanks for the tip. BTW, I've joined up at Hystersisters so imagine I'll pick up lots of info over there. Glad you got the car to cooperate and will have a great visit with your friend.

ROSETTA . . . You are definitely in my thoughts, girl. I'm trying to mentally send out to you. Hang in there and keep on doing your best. I know it's hard.

JUDY . . . You are in my thoughts too. That nasty weather does not help one little bit. We'd make a wonderful team in a three-legged race. My right knee is my bad one. Hope it's feeling better soon.

NESIE . . . That is terrific. Congratulations to all three of you. If you find a really good non-exercise form of exercise, just bottle it up and send some to me. I do like bouncing about on my balance ball, but don't do it with enough regularity. Good luck.

GLEN . . . Always like to hear from you, boy . . . don't be a stranger.

Oh, BTW . . . he is another interesting tip from the same edition of the DLife Newsletter that caught my eye . . . might have to give it a try . . . http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowCo...ng_method.html . . . Think I'll go post these in a tips Sticky, just to keep them around and I'll try to add to them as I get more newsletters.

Anyway, gang . . . have a great moving and shaking kind of evening and weekend if you don't get a chance to stop in and chat with us over the next couple of days. See you soon.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/241/150

Height: 5'5"

just a quick hello to check in... I finally broke down and called the dr office about this cough I've had for 2 weeks (tomorrow).... it got to the really annoying, keeping me awake at night etc... anyway, they called me in a cough medicine...Mintuss NX.... hopefully it will help- side affect- may cause drowsiness....

other wise, doing ok...

we had a wild day at school yesterday with the tornado stuff- there were a couple spotted in our area... and Enterprise- where the HS was hit is about 80 miles from here...

hope everyone is doing ok.

hugs and prayers,
Reba
Old 03-02-2007, 06:09 PM   #12  

Cool

Hi, all. Spring has sprung here today. Was hoping the cold would last through the weekend. Oh, well. I've been staying on my program so far this week and have lost about 5 lbs. This weekend will be very hard, but I feel that once I make it through this one weekend it will be easier. I appreciate your support.
Meowee - thanks for the links. I think I have a psychological block against insulin - for the inconvenience and the fact that once you go on it you have to stay there. As for the lancet, that looks worse than the pen. I only test on the same two fingers and they don't seem any worse for the wear. Girl, you're sure spending a lot of time at the vet these days. Four chihuahuas! My neighbor has a longhaired chihuahua. She barks when she hears hall noises but she's not yappy.
Rosey - too bad about Vegas, but sounds like you've arranged a great alternative. Have fun! And I hope you keep your restless man in check.
Reba - there's a nasty cold thing going around that seems to stay around. Hope the cough syrup helps. Tornadoes are so scary. I lived in Iowa once and was always watching for them -- had an earthquake instead! Stay safe.
Everybody have a great weekend!
Old 03-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #13  
stbakd

the site looks good meowee. good luck with new puppy rosey. we had an ice storm last night. did you get it meowee?
glen
Old 03-03-2007, 09:20 AM   #14  
Onward and Downward

REBA . . . Good to see you, Chickie. Hope the cough is gone really soon. Watch out though, most cough medicine has sugar and can impact of BGL.

ROSETTA . . . Glad to see you losing. Stay strong for the weekend. I know how you feel about insulin-phobia. I cried for days when I had to go on Insulin. I alternate around all ten fingers, on a date basis. Those cuticle pictures look painful, but think I'll try it, using an insulin needle instead of a lancet. The needles are extremely fine gauge and much less painful. I'll let you know when (and if) I get up the nerve.

HEFTY . . . Amazingly we did not get the storm they were predicting. Only about 2 inches of snow and nothing else. It is pretty windy - but, then, it's almost always windy down here as compared to Ontario. Happy for me. Sad for you (and everybody else who got it so badly) Today the sun is shining and the radio just told me we were going to get a high of +7C (45F). Love it. Maybe it's because of my new avatar . . . think the silly gopher came back to see if he was right about his forecast . . . couldn't resist him when he popped out on my calendar page this morning.

Silly cats got me up at about 4:30 this morning. Purrecious has earned herself the nick-name "flying squirrel". She is absolutely crazy. Jazz is feeling pretty good, too. The squirrel actually got him playing with her this morning. Nothing special on my agenda today. Have to go pick up Mouse (the grump) and pay his room and board bill, of course. He should put a bit of a damper on the frivolity going on around here for a couple of days.

Had one of those wonderful high protein oatmeal/eggwhite/cottagecheese pancakes for breakfast this morning. If you haven't tried them, you should, they are yummy, yummy and healthy, healthy.

BGL is better if I'm up earlier . . . 4.3 (75) at 5 am. When I sleep in until 7:30/8:00, it reads into the 6's (108-126) -- and sometimes 7's (126-144) -- by then because my Liver takes over if I dip too low.

Anyway, hope you all have a great moving and shaking day (and weekend). See you soon, gang . . .
Old 03-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #15  

My trip to the mountains was great. I had a blast. We glazed stuff and loaded up the kiln and turned it on. It was hard to leave it...but I will see it next week. I may go up there on Tuesday to work. My wheel is not working properly, so I am going to have to remove the controller and mail it in to be repaired. I am SO bummed! I was excited when I unloaded the kiln yesterday morning...nothing broke or exploded!!

My eating has been good, but my bg's are still running a bit on the high side. I am getting kind of mad about it. Like that will do any good!

Take care everyone!
Closed Thread