Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:11 PM   #76  
stbakd

i'm ok now glen
Old 03-16-2007, 08:09 AM   #77  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Wow . . . talk about a crummy start to the day . . . I have definitely just won some kind of prize for unacceptable BGL . . . 9.7 (175) this morning . . . in my case, though, I think it has to be that I slept through a Hypo and my liver overcompensated, because I definitely did not forget my meds or my insulin, and I did not overindulge in late night carb-grazing.

We have a winter storm warning . . . snow (anywhere from 4 to 12 inches ?) followed by freezing rain and then changing to regular rain overnight tonight - all with gale force winds . . . just another fun spring day in Atlantic Canada So far just dull and threatening and windy out there.

Anyway, gang . . . hope each of you has a better day than I'm looking at. Guess I'd better get my bustle in a bunch and get out for a few staples before the weather really begins to happen. Keep things moving and shaking, everyone . . . see you later.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:27 AM   #78  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Now, Meowee, it's OK to get your bustle in a bunch but don't get your knickers in a knot! I'm sure your BGL will stabilize.

Mine is not great this morning although I did take my meds. Last night's dinner party was pretty good but too heavy on the carbs although I passed on rolls, mashed potatoes and corn on the cob. I had to eat some birthday cake, of course, and that may have done it although I left the icing. I'm 7.5 (135) this morning and no weightloss at all this week! My fat has calcified and may have to be removed with a jackhammer or chisel.

Gotta dash. Hi all and I'm glad you are feeling better, Glen.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #79  

Hello, everyone! My bg was 100 yesterday...and I was so happy! Unfortunately, it bounced back up to 135 this morning. I just can't explain it! I did everything the same, just about. I hope the rain here stops so I can get out and walk. That is the only difference - I did not get in a walk yesterday.

I got two large bowls made and mixed a few glazes. We spent the majority of the time visiting over lunch. (tuna salad on ww bread) I left early in hopes of getting back about the time my son got in. (he has been off on a business trip for a month...) Unfortunately, he missed his flight due to a wreck, and through a series of mess ups by the ticket agent, his luggage was sent home but he was not. He had a flight this morning, which I am hoping he is on.

Breakfast this morning was oatmeal with a handful of dried blueberries (sweetened with fructose). It sure was good. I found the blueberries at Trader Joes, and have been wanting to try them for a while. I finally bought a bag. I may try to make whole wheat blueberry muffins.

GLEN: I am glad you are better!

MEOWEE: Perhaps the stress of preparing for the upcoming surgeries has an effect on your bg?? I am sure mine is running higher due to having an unemployeed husband...and concern over the finances.

RUTH: Sounds like you did pretty well at the party! I would have not been able to pass on a bit of cake either! I think my fat is calcified too!

ROSETTA: I hope you can make your goal of 20 to stay in the program. What can we do to help you stay on target?

Off to get something done!
Old 03-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #80  
Never Ever Give Up !

S/C/G: 250/204/150

Good morning all,,well I can hardly believe it,,we got two inches of snow last night,,the only good thing I can say about it is I can't see all the stuff on the ground that needs cleaned up,,ha,,I am sure it will be gone by this afternoon,,,but still,,seems like it will never end,,,

My bs was over the top this a.m. 160 ,,have myself to blame for that one,,woke up with a low ,,and instead of eating a glu-tab,,ate choc-chips,,GO FIGURE,,sometimes it amazes me the choices we make,,on the up side I have lost about 3 of those pds I put on,,,so am feeling better about that,,,

Hey did anyone get the news letter from Lilly stating that we can now leave the byetta out at room temp,,AFTER,,the first set up ?,,,that will be hard to get used to for me,,seems like I protect it with my life,,ha

This is going to be a fast post,,have so much to do before work,,hi to all,,congrats on the wt loss I saw,,,hope everyone has a blessed day and a fabulous week-end,,,take care,,,Jeanne
Old 03-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #81  

Morning everyone..cold and sunny here this am..and im running on no sleep..we let the puppy sleep by herself last night and becuz she howled all night i didnt get any sleep that way either.. my dh says if i give into her then she will never get used to sleeping by herself..im to soft ..the vet said she is small for her breed but healthy and she had her first shots..my sl was up abit today to..must be in the air..or the ice cream i ate last night.. it was 124 this am..its amazing what affects us all.. stress..no sleep.. to many carbs.. not enuff carbs and on and on.. its a balancing act..and I'm needing to loose and all i think about is food..my dd and the other grkids will be her tonight.. im ready for the b-day party tomorrow..it will be fun to see the whole family together..congrats on the loss jeanne..meowee put those parkas back on the frogs or they will freeze..monet am glad you had such a nice time making pots..ruth wtg on not eating the frosting and watching the carbs..mr ken am glad you are better..rosetta hope the weekend goes well for you..make good choices everyone..((((hugs))) rosey
Old 03-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #82  
Misfit

S/C/G: 264.5/238/150

Height: 5'6

Default I'm here!

My morning levels have gone down every morning so far since I've cut out the milk and processed carbs.

Morning I had my physical 3-13: 176 fasting (plus having been up for 4 hours)
3-13 after lunch 145
3-14 waking 193
3-14 after dinner 138
3-15 waking 161
3-16 waking 137

I've been taking the metformin faithfully at night, have to work on the morning dose; once my kid realizes that I am awake he distracts me. I don't understand how my levels go up when I am sleeping because I do not eat when I sleep! This happens whether or not I get a decent amount of rest too.

No chance of a walk today, but I have a new WATP DVD that I want to try. I think I may do the 3 mile later tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Missi
Old 03-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #83  
Onward and Downward

That happens to me a lot, MISSI . . .

In my case it happens because I go low (very low; ie., below about 50 - 2.7 on the Canadian scale). When a very low hypoglycemic event occurs, your liver will zap out a shot of glucose from your normal storage supply that your liver has charge over. This is a good thing, because it keeps you alive, but usually the liver overcompensates and gives you too much glucose, resulting in the early morning high.

Anyway, some of us are more prone to overnight 'hypos' than others. Sometimes they will wake me up, in which case I catch them at the low point and can treat the situation adequately with glucose tablets or a little orange juice and/or some good quality carb to eat; in other cases, my liver takes over. If you read back a little, you may have noticed I had one this morning. Woke up to a BGL of 9.7 (your 175). Extremely high for me as I'm usually relatively stable around the high 4's to mid 5's (80 - 100 on the US scale).

As you have more test results under your belt, you will be able to discover your own pattern and better learn how to handle your carb intake throughout the day to compensate. If you have a need to get up in the wee hours of the morning sometimes, you might want to check your BGL at that time, just to see what is happening.

BTW, hope your doctor is lining up an appointment with a Diabetes Educational Clinic for you or at least with a dietician specializing in the treatment of Diabetes . . . very helpful information. Also, have you checked out the American Diabetes Association website . . . http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp . . . and some of the other information sites that are listed in the "stickies" area of the forum? I think most of us on this thread agree that doing as much reading as you can during the early stages of your diagnosis is really helpful and calming.

See you soon. . .
Old 03-16-2007, 08:18 PM   #84  
Misfit

I just did a WATP dvd, 2 out of the 3 miles and it kicked my butt. I'm all tired and might be sore tomorrow but I feel great.

My GL is only 124!

And I had 76g of carbs for supper (veggie spaghetti made with racconto 8 whole grain capellini, marinara sauce, canned tomatoes, canned mushrooms, canned spinach and a teensy bit of parmesan on top. I also had one of those Mott's Healthy harvest Granny Smith cups (no added sugar yay me)
About 385 cal total and 6 g of fat. It tasted so good but now that I'm done walking I'm SO hungry but my fat is at 23g for today and my carbs are at
135g so that's it for the night.

Just realized that I sound like an excited school girl but I love seeing my levels that low after eating carbs! Feel free to laugh, I am.
Missi
Old 03-17-2007, 12:21 AM   #85  

MISSI: I was always amazed at how effective walking was in bringing down my bg levels. Still is! (I need to remember that, and get my butt out there everyday! I rarely miss, but I AM lazy! )

Got my wheel up and running, after the parts got here this afternoon. It felt so good tonight to sit down and throw some. I got two bowls and a tall beverage tumbler done. I did not throw very long...we had company for dinner and he was enjoying watching me work. It IS fun to watch... but I was tired, so I washed up and called it a night.

Good night!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #86  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

So far all we've had of the predicted storm is a tiny dusting of snow . . . hope it's the end. If the sun would just come out, I'm sure I'd feel better.

Caught the BGL on the way down this morning since I was up an hour and a half earlier than yesterday. Anyway, I was 3.9 (70) when I got up at 5:30, so I just had an early breakfast and then went back to bed because I was still tired. Gosh, I hope I don't have to start setting the alarm for 5:30 every morning to get good BGL readings -- hey, I'm retired; remember -- should be able to sleep-in until 7:00 am.

Anyway, it is the weekend. Hope everyone has a great one . . . don't forget to check-in here if you get a chance. Have a great moving nd shaking kind of day whatever activities you get into. See you all a little later . . .
Old 03-18-2007, 09:00 AM   #87  
Onward and Downward

Happy Sunday . . . wherever you are and whatever you are doing . . .

Today is overcast and drizzling, but definitely pretty mild. Think I said something recently about the stability of my BGL . . . guess I'll take it back, I was 5.9 (106) this morning, not bad, but not where I like it to be.

Here's a couple of my favourite Diabetes Information books . . .

(1) My Doctor Says I Have a Little Diabetes, by Martha Hope McCool and Sandra Woodruff

(2) Diabetes for Dummies, by Alan L. Rubin

If you haven't read them, see if you can pick them up. I'm particularly fond of the first one . . . but maybe because I'm such a fan of Sandra Woodruff's cookbooks, too. Have a look on Amazon (by using the "Store" tab on the navigation bar at the top of the forum page, of course - that way 3FC gets credit for your Amazon purchases - helps to support our little 'home away from home'.

Think I'll start a "Sticky" for 'Diabetes Reading Material'. If you've got any favourite books on the topic, please post the titles in there, too.

Anyway, gang . . . Have a great moving and shaking kind of day. . . See you soon. . .
Old 03-18-2007, 05:01 PM   #88  

Hi everyone.. the b-day party was a lot of fun.. and i only had a small piece of cake..daisy was the star attraction lol..passed from one person to the next.. what a spoiled pooch.. meowee i have read the diabetes for Dummies book but not the other so i will check that one out too..its cold and sunny here today and becuz i cleaned up befor and after the party im a free bird today so think i will do some quitling..hope you all have had a fun weekend(((hugs))) rosey
Old 03-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #89  
Misfit

Bl was 155 this morning. I'm thinking I won't see the levels close to a good level until I start dropping some significant poundage.

On a happier note I lost 4 lbs last week! Yay!

I didn't know that metformin can make a person nauseous. That would probably be the reason why have felt so yucky off and on since late last year..must have been the days I remembered to take my metformin. Does anyone else have the problem and what do you do to alleviate it? Yesterday I couldn't eat anything all day and got sick at one point. I did manage to eat some leftover spaghetti and felt better for that.

I'm going to see if I can do the entire 3 miles on my WATP DVD

Have a good week everyone!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #90  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Hi there,
I just clicked on here to read a little and was wondering if any of you are type 1 diabetics? My husband is type 1 and on a pump. He manages his diabetes ok, but he could do so much better. I think he's had a lot of anger about it (his whole life) and instead of being very proactive with he, he lets it slide all the time. I buy and fix most of our food, so I calculate carbs for him. There are days when he gets almost stubborn about testing, and I have to hand him his test kit before he eats. I think the pump is amazing, but I think it has made him somewhat complacent. He eats whatever he wants and just boluses for it, but he doesn't always figure it out, so he ends up with lots of highs. Pretty scary. I've read posts where some of you say you were really high with 160 or 175. His highs get WAY higher than that.

Anyway, not really sure what I'm after on this thread (I'm normally on calorie counters), but just thought I'd see if anyone here has any advice (maybe with some of the emotional aspects of having this disease). I know he gets frustrated having had this illness every minute of every day for 30 years, so I try to be as supportive as possible.
Closed Thread