Old 02-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #1  

Default Byetta 10 Pen Vs 5 Pen

Hello Everyone

I was wondering if you any of you experienced better weighloss results with the 5 pen? Time I was put on the 10 pen I had weight gain and it has not stopped.
CIRCLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #2  

I started out with the 5 pen. I felt slightly nauseous now and then, but didn't realize it was coming from the Byetta. My numbers weren't low enough, so the doctor put me on the 10 pen. That is when I realized that the Byetta was my problem. I had bad headaches, nausea and diarrhea. I tried it 3 different times with breaks in between, and had to give up on it. And, I did not see a loss of appetite that some people report.

My doctor now has me on the Levemir FlexPen. I have no side effects, my blood sugars have dropped about 40 points (we are still playing with the dosage) and I have lost 8 pounds - although I have made changes in my food choices and drastically increased my exercise, so the weight loss isn't all due to the medication.
mousetater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #3  

I lost about six pounds the first week I was on the 5 pen, and then another few pounds the following few weeks. Then the weight loss stopped, and even though I was moved to the ten pen, it has not started again. I might blame the lack of loss on my thyroid, but I don't think it is ALL the thyroid's fault. There are some who have lost huge amounts on Byetta, and I had hoped to be one of them, but I am not.

I need to look into the Levemir Flexpen. I have nausea with Byetta, and would love something that worked without upsetting my stomach.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #4  

Side effects vary for each person, but I am not having any trouble with the Levemir Flexpen. It also comes in a vial, but I don't have to worry about measuring, etc. with the Flexpen. Let me know how it works for you.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I started off on the 5 pen, moved up to 10, and i am doing fine. I dont notice a difference in weight loss with the change in pens. I actually prefered to just stay at the 5 pen but do it three times a day instead of two but doc wouldnt let me. So i bumped up to the 10 pen. I dont have diabetes though, i have PCOS and insulin resistence...which the byetta has done wonders for. I dont have nausea on the Byetta, it actually cleared up my nausea that i usually had in the mornings. I always seem to be opposite of the norm though.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/275/150

Height: 5' 4"

I'm on the 10 Byetta.

What is this other pen you are talking about? Levemir Flexpen?
oldwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Talking

I'm on the 10 Byetta too. The 5 didn't upset my stomach like the 10 does however I've been on it a little over two weeks now and I think my body is finally starting to improve. I'm not noticing a huge weight loss but my appetite has decreased a little... To be honest I noticed that I get full (ie. not hungry, I don't mean full as in painfully full) and would continue to eat, not the Byetta's fault but my brain! The Byetta has helped me pay attention a little better to the signs my body's telling me (like hello woman, put the food down) and I'm eating less because of it.. I find I'm not starving for food either but I'm not sure if it's because I know have multiple small meals or if it's the Byetta.. I guess I just don't know!

I do notice that if I eat a meal at night rich in carbs with the Byetta I do get pretty nauseous.. I'm trying to back off carbs entirely right now (or as close as I can get my limiting my bread/pasta/rice intake and not eating fruit) so It'll be interesting to see where my BS numbers go and how my tummy handles everything..

Okay so I rambled.. sorry bout that. hee hee
Vamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 PM   #8  

Carol,

Levemir Flexpen is an insulin injector. Instead of using a vial of insulin and a syringe, you use this pen and just "click" to get the # of units you are supposed to have - in my case that is 35. You only use it once a day, and once it is opened, it doesn't have to be refrigerated. You use a new needle tip (they call them pen needles) for each injection.

mousetater
Old 02-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #9  

Oh! So Levemir is an insulin.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #10  

Correct. The label on the pen says "Levemir Flexpen - Insulin detemir (rDNA origin) injection"

mousetater
Old 03-16-2007, 08:58 AM   #11  

I've been on Byetta (first the 5 and 2 months later the 10) for 4 months. During that time and with the help of Weight Watchers, I've lost a little over 40 pounds (75 since May). I LOVE Byetta and the side effects have been negligible for me.
SugarSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/222/150

Height: 5'3"

Hi all. I registered the other day but am just now getting to introduced myself and to make a comment or two. I am type 2 and was recently placed on a new med call Actoplus Met. I was on it for over three months starting around Thanksgiving. I gain 20 pounds during that time and started having constant PMS symptoms, I have gone through menopause and did not like these side effects.

I also starting ovulating again, so I asked to be taken off of it. My only other option was this shot. I wasn't too keen on shots but knew I could not tolerate the medicine any longer and decided to give Byetta a try. Well it wasn't as painful, in fact was no pain at all and I am already seeing great glucose readings.

I have been on it for two weeks, so I am still on the 5 MG. Also, without trying I have lost 4 pounds! I am feeling better, without the need of an afternoon nap like I have taken before because my blood sugars levels are even.

My name's Marian and for now I am happy with this.
mnichols7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/222/150

Height: 5'3"

I guess this forum is dead!
mnichols7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #14  

Nope, it is not dead. This is just not one of the most active threads.

I am glad the byetta is working well for you. I have been on it for almost a year, and lately, my numbers have been creeping up. I hope it is not because I am becoming immune to the byetta...

If you would like to get to know the others on here, the monthly support thread is more active. More folks will see your posts and be able to respond. Only those interested in Byetta will open this one.